Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• a kiss for a thimball

Escondido CA (1hr 15min from door to parked!)

Going to Japan in 2011

Okay, so my fiances grandparents 50th anniversary is in February of 2011. We will be going to Okinawa. I lived in Matsudo when I was 6 and was planning to go back and see the old house. I also wanted to go TDL. I dont know where to start. I dont know where to stay while we are up there. How many days does TDL take. I am also planning to buy rosetta stone and learn the language before we go!
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Re: Going to Japan in 2011

I've never been to TDL but I've only heard amazing things about it.

I'm sure TDLFAN will be of the best assistance.

Hope it's a wonderful anniversary!

• Banned User

There are many people who can assit with great information here... like JoeInJpn, Ichigopara, and others.
    Basically.. TDR can take 3-4 days to visit.. depends on how quick or slow you want to move about the place and how much you are into Disney parks or what you like to do in them. If you must absolutely see it ALL, then I suggest the 4-day stay. Also, depends on the season you visit.
    As for hotels... again, depends on how much you are willing to pay, and how convenient you want to make it for yourself in relation to distance from the park, transportation to/from the resort..etc etc. Hotel options are many... and park attractions/shows/parade/restaurants/shopping availaility is quite high. You will be busy doing things for 3-4 days at TDR.
    Now.. in order for anyone here to help, you have to tell us more about what you intend to do and how much you are willing to pay... or how close you want to be to the parks... when you want to visit, etc etc...as that would help a lot in narrowing the amount of information we can offer.

If money is not a big issue, consider staying at the Hotel Miricosta, its an amazing place! Another suggestion I can give you is GO TO DISNEY SEA. Its a completly unique park that is very well themed and very detailed. Try to spend at least 2 days there. I think if you spend about 4 days at Disneyland/Disney sea you will be able to see almost everything.
    Like TDL fan sais we need to hear some details.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Going to Japan in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySea_Fan View Post
    If money is not a big issue, consider staying at the Hotel Miricosta, its an amazing place! Another suggestion I can give you is GO TO DISNEY SEA. Its a completly unique park that is very well themed and very detailed. Try to spend at least 2 days there. I think if you spend about 4 days at Disneyland/Disney sea you will be able to see almost everything.
    Like TDL fan sais we need to hear some details.
    Especially since this is the most "only-at-TDR-one-of-a-kind-in-the-world" experience, you'd be kerrazzy not to visit TDS! If you have time, you could plan your trip to come early enough to catch the last day of Christmas festivities, stay for New Year's too, and then see Japan and family for a month before the anniversary, and check out Valentine's before going back home. It could be done in six weeks, depending the timing of the anniversary. You could get the JR Pass before you visit (which you're likely to do anyway) but you still have to fly to Okinawa so unless you were already planning to travel around a bit, that may not mean much to you. Anyway, with as much as it costs to visit Japan, and the fact that you're already planning to be here in February, I'd try to hit three big seasonal events instead of just the one if you could do it. No matter what, DON'T miss DisneySea!

• Minion

I lived on Okinawa in 1974-1975. I understand they have a very nice aquarium now. I'd love to pics of your trip including Okinawa.
    I want my cake back!

• a kiss for a thimball

Okay... narrowing the information... We will be going sometime in february 2011... I am not sure when. I dont think that information will be available for a little while. I would like to be the things that are unique to Tokyo. I remember bits and pieces from when i was little (we had annual passes when we lived there. it was only 5 train stops away). There are also some things my father wants me to go on for him. I am sure I will be taking LOTS of pictures. I do not know how much we want to spend. I know we are not opposed to spending was we need. Back home in Cali we stay at a good neighbor hotel (closer than anything on property) and we normally spend about $120-$130 a night. I know I will have to spend some time in Okinawa. I also want to spend a day up in Matsudo. I am kinda curious about how the train works and what the cost is. My dad showed me what station I get on to go from Matsudo down to Disneyland. Anyone willing to help me get around while i am there would also be appriciated. i am afraid I will get lost. I guess that is my biggest fear.
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

Really can come true

• Banned User

First up, you will not get lost because the signage on the train systems is bilingual and with a train map in hand, you will do just find. I have not been to Matsudo, but I can tell you this much.. I am so confident about taking the trains in Japan that I know I would get there with no problems. JoeinJpn or Ichigopara might know how to get from there to TDR, but you can also chack the JR Train site and what it would cost. many buy the Japan Pass for foreigners, which is supposed to help out a lot and save you money.

In regards to TDR... February is dead time at the parks. You will not have any problems seeing everything there.. but bring a coat as it does get very cold at times during that month. Park times may be a bit shorter than usual as well.. and many rides or park areas may close due to maintenance.

However... what to see.. Hmmm... see ALL of Tokyo DisneySea. It's unique to Japan, and honestly? Disney's best park in the World. TDL is somewhat a fusion of DL and the MK at WDW... so you will feel right at home doing that park. But, DO NOT MISS...Poohs Hunny Hunt, Splash Mt, Monsters Inc Ride, all of the E-tickets... do make a point of seeing the parades and shows as they are the best of any Disney park out there (skip the pyro, not as good as the other parks' fireworks shows). Heck! see as much as you can because even cloned rides from the USA have many differences in design and execution. But TDSea... you *hafta* do it all there... rides and shows... and even go shopping just for the highly themed enviroments in the shops and the restaurants. TOT is unique there... so see that for sure as well.

Hotels... being february and low season.. many of the more expensive hotels in TDR will drop prices.. so do your homework and check hotel rates when the time comes to book.

• a kiss for a thimball

Thank You everyone for all of the information! I am very excited. I cannot wait to go. I am still waiting for an exact date as to when we are all leaving to go to Okinawa. Then I was to decide if we will be going before or after. I am pretty sure after. I know that the train system right at the entrance to the park is very easy. when I was there (mind you that was a decade ago) all you had to do was walk across the bridge. I will come back here for questions on hotels and planning and such!
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

Really can come true

• Adventures with Duffy

We were there in Oct/Nov 08. We spent most of our time in the parks on this trip, due to we didn't have much time and I just love Disney and have heard such wonderful things about TDL and TDS. Which it lived up to what I had heard and was more. It by far is my fav. Disney Resort, if I were to travel.( I live 20 mins away from DL).

We stayed at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel and I just love it. Was easy to get to the parks, had a more open lobby feeling. I walked thought the Disney Hotels and it just seemed smaller to me. Although those hotels were pretty, just out of my price range.

We also spent a few nights in Tokyo at the Hotel Monterey Ginza. This was Nov 1 and 2, it was $164.67 USD a night. Which was the best I could find at the time. Im sure there are other places that could have been cheaper, I think those pod type rooms are cheaper. Im not really sure. Anyhow, very nice staff, the room was small, but for my husband and I it was perfect. The bed was very hard, I have a bad back so it was tough for me, but my husband doesn't have a bad back and after the two nights his back was hurting. Thats the only not so great thing I can say about it the hotel. There were place to eat right around the block, even a Mc Donald's if your craving that. (I like to see other countries McD's to see how they differ, silly I know)

On our trip we checked into the Sheraton, then into Hotel Monterey and then back into the Sheraton. We left because it was cheaper to leave a few nights, over the weekend, then it was to take a train in and out of TDR.

Anyhow, the Sheraton, held our large luggage and we just took our small carry on bags with us on the train. So that made it easier.

We found the trains to be fine. I had heard about women being touched on the trains so I was a bit scared of that. But I never had a problem. We also avoided the rush hours.

That is about all I know about transpertaion. I was picked up in a privet car when I arrived in tokyo, due to I had some large luggage and wasn't sure I make the last bus to TDR. I would have been early, but you just never know. Im not sure next time if I will pack lighter, due to I want a big bag to bring things home in. lol The shopping there is amazing, way better then what we have here. But go with money if you can, if you want to shop, things are pricey.

We did use a bus service back to the airport on the way home and it went great, was easy, picked us up from the hotel. We were the first stop and first in line, so we got a front row seat and got to see a lot of tokyo, well what you see on the way to the airport. It was nice.

As for the parks themselves, if you can, I would do at least two days in each park. Seas is unlike anything Ive seen and is the best park ever. TDL, is great too. I have been to DL to many times to count, WDW twice and Paris once. I walked though TDL and though, they took the best of all the other parks and made it better. The feel of the park is unlike another. It has the covered mainstreet, the CM are the friendliest you will find, the attraction although may be similar in other parks, they are still different. You will want to see it all. And have time to sit and take it all in. I love just sitting somewhere and taking the park in. Yeah HM ride was fun, but sitting and taking it all in is what I really remember.

You will have a wonderful tip. if I can help, let me know.

• Resident of the Caldera

Wendy_Bird: The only hotel at the Tokyo Disney Resort that will be near your price (and which has an English-speaking staff) is the Hilton Tokyo Bay. In February you should be able to get an Ocean View room for $230 a night. The sooner you book the better, and you can do it right on the Hilton website.

All the hotels at the Tokyo Resort are much more expensive than those in California. If you want to spend $350 to $400 a night, stay at one of the three Disney hotels: they are all wonderful and top of the line. You should make a choice based on what type of ambience appeals to you. Just google "Tokyo Disneyland Hotel," "Disney Ambassador Hotel," and "Disney Hotel Miracosta" and you will find lots of photos. The Disney Ambassador Hotel is the most intimate and also the least expensive of the three. Staying at the "Tokyo Disneyland Hotel" will give you a special turnstile to enter and you'll be able to get an extra half hour of sleep in the mornings.

You MUST stay four days: 2 for Tokyo DisneySea and 2 for Tokyo Disneyland.

You MUST line up outside the gates at least 30 minutes before the park opens.

You MUST use FastPass correctly.

It is FRIGID in February. Bring heavy sweaters, coats, scarves, hats, and gloves. The wind coming off the Pacific Ocean is cold cold cold.

While TDLFAN says the parks are empty during February, and he has been there many times in February, the one time I was there (a year and a half ago) in February the parks were PACKED. I heard there were some type of discount tickets available.

Do not worry about going on Splash Mountain--you do not get wet in the wintertime!

Do not dismiss any rides because you think they're the same as versions in the United States: they're all better (except Indiana Jones and their version of Autopia).

It might snow while you're there if you're lucky: nothing is more beautiful than the Tokyo resort in snow.

Ask more questions: you'll get more answers.

• Adventures with Duffy

Fukai, you don't get wet on Splash Mt during the winter? How do they make that happen?

• You have much to learn...

I've only stayed at the Hilton at Tokyo Bay-sometimes the room rates can be high though- but one thing I've learned from experience-and don't know if this works the same way at other resorts surrounding the parks- but if you go to the site & try to either search for rates, or book them-try booking nights separately.

I don't know why, but for example- let's say you're booking from Saturday to Saturday for a week- it may come up to something like 300,000 yen per night- but if you try booking Sat & Sun, it may be 300,000 for those nights- but if you then try booking Mon thru Thurs separately- the cost of the room rate may go down dramatically to like 160,000 per night. You may have to experiment a little and try different dates or days of the week-it's sometimes based on the first night, or block of time you're going. I've found that you can sometimes get the cheapest total cost by booking this way- so sometimes I wound up with 3 or 4 reservations for the same week. Just make sure you are booking the same type of room, or it can really screw things up!!

My friend said he temporarily booked us this year from 10/27 thru 11/12 for like 160,000 per night. Unfortunately that's too long for me to get off from work- so I then tried from 10/31 thru 11/10 & thr price jumped to like 320,000 per night- then I played with the reservations some more & got different rates based on arrival & departure.

I don't know if you've decided on a particular hotel just yet, but something you may want to think about when looking at or making reservations.
    Last edited by jedimaster7313; 07-16-2009 at 07:34 AM.

• Adventures with Duffy

I heard the same thing as jedimaster7313. Sometime it is better to book each night sepertaly.

And what some hotels will do at least the Sheraton was willing to do is link your reservation, so that you may not have to switch rooms.

• Resident of the Caldera

They have a way of decreasing the amount of water splashed on you in Tokyo: someone posted a link about it on here somewhere. They don't seem to be able to control it that way in California: even on chilly days people get drenched. But, in Tokyo, you just feel a light mist.

As for the Hilton Tokyo Bay, yes, you're right. Forgot to mention that. Your room fee is determined by the cost of the first night of your stay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast