Best Time to Go to Avoid Crowds AND Rehabs?

I am slowly working my way through old posts and trip reports to learn as much as I can about traveling to TDS and TDL.

We like going to the Disney parks in the off-season to avoid crowds, but it is dawning on me that if we go to TDL/TDS in late January/early February as planned, we may find many of the rides down for rehab - not good for a once-in-a-lifetime trip!

Can you recommend the best time to go that strikes a balance between crowds and rehabs?

Some of the more recent trip reports suggest late May, but it's not the cheapest season for Disney hotels. Would early June be OK?

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: Best Time to Go to Avoid Crowds AND Rehabs?

JUne would be fine, but june is also rainy season in Japan.. so, if you do not mind putting up with a higher possibility of wet weather, crowds will be manageable. I would also recommend late april. In regards to rehabs... well.. TDR has a very extensive rehab schedule... reason why the parks there are always in the best condition of any Disney park in the World.. You would have to keep checking their official site for the rehab schedules.. best info I can offer.

That helps a lot!

Any chance you have a direct link to the rehab schedule...?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    That helps a lot!

Any chance you have a direct link to the rehab schedule...?
    Yes, but that will cost you $3.99 plus labor. Hehehe...

Here is the link:
    Tokyo Disney Resort: Temporary Closure of Park Facilities

Thanks!

Yea Late April Is GREAT. I Was there a couple years ago and it was EMPTY at Disney sea!

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

The parks really are beautiful in the rain.

Just come prepared!

Have a wonderful time in Tokyo! What a beautiful place to visit.

EDIT: 900th post! YAHHOO!
    Last edited by Goover; 07-24-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: 900 posts >_<!!

• vintage disney love

i lived in japan for 3 years and found the best time to go to be early may. there was no waiting in any line and hardly a crowd. in the summer it can be very hot and the humidity is unbarable. plus its wall to wall with people everywhere you go. just to get from one ride to another next to it could take over half an hour with all the slow walking (witch bummed me out, cause im a fast walker) and people crammed next to you and behinde and infront of you. you'll have to like strangers touching and being up on you to get around.

the only relief from the heat came from wating inline for splash mountain, cause at on point the wait is inside and its cool in there.

plus there were rain shower, even in august there was a down pour for half the day, witch was weird in the heat.

but april-may was awesome with a few showers, and a very light crowd. even some rides had no people on them that time of year.

plus they have LOTS of holidays over there, so you should check the holiday schedule, since they are very busy on holidays. good luck, it should be so much fun for you!

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

first week of february was great the only majors that were closed this year was Potc and Sinbads voyage at TDS... Never had to wait more than an hour for anything and took advantage of early entry alot.
    Jeff

I like that romantic and looking very nice.

• Resident of the Caldera

You need to hit the period AFTER schools' spring break and BEFORE Golden Week. The parks are surprisingly empty--that would be about the third week in April. You can use Google to find the exact dates of both things to avoid.

I would also avoid the winter: it's extremely cold in February. In the 30s with a strong wind off Tokyo Bay that will numb you good. AND the parks were crowded on top of that. But doing Splash Mountain in 33 degree weather is ... interesting. There's no splash that time of year.

Oh--and for a less expensive hotel, try booking the Hilton Tokyo Bay. It's on the monorail line and if you book long in advance it can be much much less than the Disney hotels ($230 a night if you're lucky).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Oh--and for a less expensive hotel, try booking the Hilton Tokyo Bay. It's on the monorail line and if you book long in advance it can be much much less than the Disney hotels ($230 a night if you're lucky).
    Correction... the Hilton is NOT on the monorail line. It is however, situated across the street from the monorail station. The official hotels at TDR are not like those "monorail hotels" at WDW, where you can literally walk from the hotel lobby onto the monorail itself. PLus technically, the Sheraton Grande's entrance is actually closer in distance to that same monorail station a short walking distance from the Hilton.

Well, if you want to be picky about it, no hotels except three in Orlando and one in Tokyo are actually "on" the monorail line.

I consider the Hilton to be on the monorail line in Tokyo as much as I do most of the other official and Disney Hotels, since it takes me 3 minutes to walk out the door of the hotel and reach Bayside Station. In fact, it's closer to the monorail station than the Disney Ambassador Hotel.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Well, if you want to be picky about it, no hotels except three in Orlando and one in Tokyo are actually "on" the monorail line.

I consider the Hilton to be on the monorail line in Tokyo as much as I do most of the other official and Disney Hotels, since it takes me 3 minutes to walk out the door of the hotel and reach Bayside Station. In fact, it's closer to the monorail station than the Disney Ambassador Hotel.
    Actually no. The walk from the Ambassador courtyard exit to the east entrance of the TDR Line In Gateway station is actually closer than the Hilton's lobby to bayside station. And yes, I do get picky.. In regards to WDW's many cheap hotels.. I don't even consider them "special", much less worthy of carrying the Disney name. Having monorails at their lobby is not sufficient to make up for their lackluster designs and mediocre service and amenities.