Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Future Imagineer! =D

Question Tokyo Disney. Language issues?

I would like to visit Tokyo Disney but I only speak English. I'm a little scared that this could be an obstacle. Would I be able to effectively communicate with people and CM's? Would I be able to read signs and menus? I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Tokyo Disney. Language issues?

You're young enough. Learn some Japanese.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Yup. True. We are kind of thinking about going to Tokyo Disney in a year or two and I have a feeling that learning Japanese would be very hard
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    I would like to visit Tokyo Disney but I only speak English. I'm a little scared that this could be an obstacle. Would I be able to effectively communicate with people and CM's? Would I be able to read signs and menus? I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks!
    It may only be an obsticle if you have any complicated or serious issue while at the resort.

Most CMs do NOT speak English. They will however, find a CM that does speak English if there is a significant enough issue that warrants it. If you are just asking where the nearest restroom is, or which way to an attraction, most every CM will understand you enough to happily point you in the right direction.

As far as signs and menus go, they are all bi-lingual. You can also go to Guest Relations to get English guide maps and entertainment schedules. They do not have English maps by the turnstiles.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    It may only be an obsticle if you have any complicated or serious issue while at the resort.

Most CMs do NOT speak English. They will however, find a CM that does speak English if there is a significant enough issue that warrants it. If you are just asking where the nearest restroom is, or which way to an attraction, most every CM will understand you enough to happily point you in the right direction.

As far as signs and menus go, they are all bi-lingual. You can also go to Guest Relations to get English guide maps and entertainment schedules. They do not have English maps by the turnstiles.
    Okay thank you! Like if I were in line for a ride and was asked how many people were in my group then the CM would understand what I responded with? Will I not enjoy the attractions as much if I can not understand them? Hmm...I need to find someone that's been there and only speaks English too and ask them about their experience
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• You have much to learn...

I only know very few words in japanese, but even if cast members don't speak english- most of them do know basics- I'm almost always asked "how many" at the front of a line- they usually respond with the number as well like 2, 3 or 4 & usually hold up the number of fingers as well- So if they are boarding & you don't understand and know you have 4 in your party- just hold up 4 fingers, for example.

Many do understand the numbers and will then tell you what row to stand in or just bring you to it.

At any of the food service locations- just point to the dish you want- they are all on display- If they give you a menu- it's in English/Japanese- just point as well.

You really shouldn't have any problem- just speak very slowly if they don't seem to understand and try not to get upset or mad if they don't understand you- Just have as much fun as you can.

Everytime I'm there, I think I understand more than the average person there- or at least I'm the only one paying attention to the instructions, even if I can't make out a word of it.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If you take advantage of the time between now and then to pick up some conversational Japanese, you'll have a better time, your family will be really impressed, and you'll make a lot more friends along the way.

It's not that hard. It's just like math or history. Just takes learning and practicing like any other subject. Good luck!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Thanks everyone! I'll have to study some Japanese and pick up some books to Tokyo Disney sometime soon
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I hope you feel inspired. Plus it will pay off in the long run to speak Chinese, Japanese and French if you're going to work in Imagineering

• Future Imagineer! =D

^^^ yes very true. My sister's friend's dad was an Imagineer in Anaheim and they sent him to temporarily live in Paris so he could help design some rides over there. That's a lot of languages to learn how to speak, considering Chinese and Japanse are way different than English and will probably be hard to learn but I'm a determined and headstrong person =D
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I've studied French, Spanish, Italian, German and Japanese. You will survive!

I don't remember it all but I can freshen up my skills when I need them.

Just start with the Japanese since that's the first international park you're going to.

• sleepy lagoon

Rosetta Stone is an excellent program for learning another language. You learn by "immersion" like the real world, rather than studying from a book. Since you learn from CDROMs on the computer, it is fun too!! (Unfortunately, it is pricey, but it is well worth it!!) There is no greater compliment you can give to another than trying to speak to them in their own language. (That is what my high school Spanish teacher used to always say... )

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I've studied French, Spanish, Italian, German and Japanese. You will survive!

I don't remember it all but I can freshen up my skills when I need them.

Just start with the Japanese since that's the first international park you're going to.
    Whoah! That's a lot of languages
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by my7dwarves View Post
    Rosetta Stone is an excellent program for learning another language. You learn by "immersion" like the real world, rather than studying from a book. Since you learn from CDROMs on the computer, it is fun too!! (Unfortunately, it is pricey, but it is well worth it!!) There is no greater compliment you can give to another than trying to speak to them in their own language. (That is what my high school Spanish teacher used to always say... )
    I'll have to check into the program. I've seen it on info-mericials. I kind of get mad when people visit Disneyland and speak in other languages. I guess it's mean for me to get mad because they have the right to visit Disneyland and when I thought of me going to Tokyo and not knowing their language I was horrified! I thought "Oh my gosh! I'm going to be one of those annoying tourists that can't speak the language of everybody else!"
    Last edited by LittleImagineer; 07-30-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
    Disney is my life <3
    Future Imagineer <3

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    I'll have to check into the program. I've seen it on info-mericials. I kind of get mad when people visit Disneyland and speak in other languages. I guess it's mean for me to get mad because they have the right to visit Disneyland and when I thought of me going to Tokyo and not knowing their language I was horrified! I thought "Oh my gosh! I'm going to be one of those annoying tourists that can't speak the language of everybody else!"
    See all the lessons you're already learning! It's called being tolerant of other cultures. Learning about other cultures and learning other languages will do that to you.

Bon Voyage!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast