Finally Going! July 2010. Some Questions

So i'm going late july to early august!

I was wondering if i can get some crowd info on this time of year and what rides will typically be under refurb!

Also more train info. mainly i want more info on say if i decide to venture offsite and how much trains will cost to universal, to tokyo Teleport etc. So that would be much appreciated!

also since im visiting. what parts of tokyo are a must see as we intend to make this trip more than just disney! Places we want to see are mt fuji, crazy shopping districts and downtown tokyo AKA big buildings.

thanks in advance!
    Last edited by glenbot; 09-11-2009 at 01:30 AM.

• Membre

Re: Finally Going! July 2010. Some Questions

So i'm going late july to early august!
    How cool!

I was wondering if i can get some crowd info on this time of year and what rides will typically be under refurb!
    I was there last august, parks were not too crowded. However I may have been lucky, due to unknown circumstances. The parks seem to be extremely crowded during specific dates. Hardly predictable.

Also more train info. mainly i want more info on say if i decide to venture offsite and how much trains will cost to universal, to tokyo Teleport etc. So that would be much appreciated!
    Transportation network is excellent in Japan and surprisingly not expensive (compared to Europe). For more information visit JAPAN RAILWAYS GROUP - Home (you also might be interested in the Japan Rail Pass)
    The great online timetable+fares is here HYPEREDIA.

also since im visiting. what parts of tokyo are a must see as we intend to make this trip more than just disney! Places we want to see are mt fuji, crazy shopping districts and downtown tokyo AKA big buildings.
    Tokyo is large. Very large. My favourite districts for shopping are (from /*so-so/ to /*****Excellentissimo!/) :

- Harajuku ****/Omotesando *****
    - Shibuya ***
    - Shinjuku ***
    - Ginza ***

Most skyscrapers are located in Shinjuku. But there are also high skycrapers in others parts of the city (the Mori Tower-"Roppongi Hills" in Roppongi).

have fun!
    Last edited by Olivier; 09-11-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks for all the help.

but i think the JR railpass is a bit out of our limits price wise.

how much would we end up paying just taking trains around without a pass to shinjuku and ginza. and the tokyo teleport.

• Banned User

The JR railpass is the best option for foreigners who plan to move about central japan and Tokyo/Osaka/Nagoya area. It would be much more expensive to do long distance train travel on a "need to buy" day to day schedule/plans.

However, if you only plan to travel within Tokyo and its suburbs like Shibuya, Shinjuku, Odaiba, etc.. the fares will be from around 200 yen to as much as 500 or so.. per trip, depending on the distance you travel. Fares in Japan are calculated by distance, reason why it is hard to say exactly how much you would pay.

Check out the fish market there in Tokyo. You go early in the morning around 6 but it is crazy watching them auction off giant tuna in Japanese. Amazing.

Watch the weekend crowded at the giant crosswalk that adjoins the train station in Shibuya. So many people, and so civilized.

Sounds like you might be venturing to Osaka for USJ? Totally worth the trip. I just did that in May. I see that someone already gave you the link to view train schedules and such. Round trip cost from Tokyo to Osaka I think was something like 150 dollars-although honestly I can't remember exactly.

I remember looking at the Rail Pass, but because I was only going outside of Tokyo to Osaka and Nikko, I think the pass didn't save me money. I think it's something that you want only if you are doing a bunch of trips.

There are a couple of tour companies that will take you around Mt Fuji. Your hotel will know for sure. Because weather is so iffy-i reco you wait until you get there to pick the best day to go. (keep a backup day for it in your iten-because it can get cloudy). But I believe July/August is it's peak time and can be very crowded with hikers. So I suggest you do a little research on the web about what to expect and what you want to do and how to do it. It may be something you have to book in advance during that time of year. Hope this helps.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    I remember looking at the Rail Pass, but because I was only going outside of Tokyo to Osaka and Nikko, I think the pass didn't save me money. I think it's something that you want only if you are doing a bunch of trips.
    The rule of thumb I use is if you are going to use the Narita Express to Tokyo and are traveling to Nagoya or further and back to Tokyo, the JR Rail Pass is the better option, even if it is just one trip. The seven days of use throughout comes as a bonus.

7-day "ordinary" Rail Pass is 28,300 yen.

JAPAN RAIL PASS types and prises

Cheapest Tokyo-> Shin Osaka one way is 13,400 yen (non-reserved seating), so round trip is 26,800 yen.

JAPAN RAILWAYS GROUP - TIMETABLE & FARES

Narita Express(N'EX) from Narita to Tokyo is 2,940 yen, or 5,880 yen round trip.

JAPAN RAILWAYS GROUP - AIRPORT ACCESS

So you can buy a Rail Pass for 28,300 and have N'EX round trip, Tokyo to Shin Osaka round trip, PLUS get to use your Rail Pass for 7 days on basically almost any JR train throught the country (not valid for special Shinkansen-Nozomi trains).

OR

You can buy round trip N'EX for 5,880, buy round trip Shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin Osaka 26,800 and spend 32,680... PLUS have to pay for all you train rides throughout your stay.

Be sure to include that the JR Rail Pass CANNOT be used for any private, commuter train lines (including monorails and the Disney Resort Line) nor for any subways. Also, if you choose to go to Nagoya, Kyoto or Osaka, many tourist spots are accessible only via non-JR routes.

Last, I don't think it would be much of an issue for the OP but some JR Lines have direct service into central Tokyo via subway lines. The passenger is expected to pay for the subway portion of the trip.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

i think mainly now i just want to go to shinjuku, shibuya and maybe ginza.

But still i am wondering where the tokyo teleport is!??!?!?!

anyone know?

• Membre

Quote Originally Posted by glenbot View Post
    But still i am wondering where the tokyo teleport is!??!?!?!
    anyone know?
    As far as I know, Tokyo Teleport, is the name given to the new business/cultural districts in Odaiba (an artificial island in Tokyo Bay).
    I visited the place in august, you have a nice view of Tokyo and the rainbow Bridge, also, as in Paris there's a smaller replica of the Statue of Liberty...
    But in my opinion, if you only have a little time in Tokyo, you can skip Odaiba.

One more piece of advice. If you plan to visit the greater Tokyo area, I strongly suggest you purchase a SUICA card upon arrival in Japan. It's a rechargeable prepaid card that can be used in virtually any trains (except high speed Shinkansen), buses, metros, etc... It is extremely convenient, and can even be used for the Disney Resort Line monorail!
    Look for "Suica card" in Google.
    Last edited by Olivier; 09-15-2009 at 04:32 AM.

• Banned User

Hmmm forgive for staring at that handsome face in that avatar.. If only I was younger and single.. hubba! hubba! Oh L'amour... l'amour...

Ok. I am back on the ground now.

Tokyo Teleport.. Hmmm, I am not sure that it is a "part of Odaiba" as much as it is the name for the train station that is located right in the middle of that Odaiba area between Venus Forte and Joypolis complex, etc etc... "Tokyo Teleport" is the station where you would catch a train bound for Shin Kiba, to connect to the Keiyo line, if you are headed to TDR/Chiba/Soga areas.

• Membre

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Tokyo Teleport.. Hmmm, I am not sure that it is a "part of Odaiba" as much as it is the name for the train station that is located right in the middle of that Odaiba area between Venus Forte and Joypolis complex, etc etc... "Tokyo Teleport" is the station where you would catch a train bound for Shin Kiba, to connect to the Keiyo line, if you are headed to TDR/Chiba/Soga areas.
    Right. But I think I read that on a Tokyo guide book... but I don't remember well.
    However I may have been mistaken for the concept of "Tokyo Teleport Town" as it is reported in this Wikipedia article I just found :

Tokyo governor Shunichi Suzuki began a major development plan in the early 1990s to redevelop Odaiba as Tokyo Teleport Town, a showcase for futuristic living, with new residential and commercial development housing a population of over 100,000. The redevelopment was scheduled to be complete in time for a planned "International Urban Exposition" in spring 1996.
    [Source]

I guess it is what they talk about in my book...
    Last edited by Olivier; 09-16-2009 at 12:02 AM.

• Banned User

Still.. I am not sure it is called "Tokyo Teleport Town" since any one person (knowledgeable or not) can update on Wikipedia and post erroneous information. On a related note.. I have heard that the ferris wheel and other expo areas near Venus Forte may close in the future for some new projects to come...? Joe, have you heard anything?

so my exact dates are july 30- august 9th... any knowledge on those exact crowds?

nothing nothing?