Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Best outfits for Duffy The Disney Bear

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    He is getting more and more love at TDL these days, too, but definitely still has an overwhelmingly larger presence in TDS where I'd guess about 20% of Guests have him. Maybe that's high, though, cos I probably notice Duffy way more than other people do.^^ But it really does feel like at least one person in every fifth group has one. And, of course, there are groups where everyone has one. Most of these are not children, but high school or university-age girls. And, yes, lots of twenty-something and middle-aged women. Of course, Duffy is also VERY popular with actual children. I'd actually wager that among children in DisneySEA (who make up a much smaller proportion at TDS than at TDL) that goes up to 60 or even 80%. For kids, I really think it's most of them. And then there are the much rarer twenty-something and older guys like me who are not afraid to admit that we, too, have hearts unimmune to Duffy's irresistible charms. A lot of the guys you think are "carrying him for their girlfriends" are "closet" versions of us, I suspect.^^
    I have a question for you. Have you ever seen Duffy outside of the parks? Do people take him other places in Japan, or do you think it really seems limited to the parks only? I have seen so much Duffy fan service and do-it-yourself costuming, that I wonder if those fans are willing to do "childlike" things outside of Disney.

• Journey On!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I have a question for you. Have you ever seen Duffy outside of the parks? Do people take him other places in Japan, or do you think it really seems limited to the parks only? I have seen so much Duffy fan service and do-it-yourself costuming, that I wonder if those fans are willing to do "childlike" things outside of Disney.
    The strap and badge versions are fairly common on mobile phones and bags (especially but not only schoolbags), but the full-size plush I've only seen around Tokyo Station, presumably with people either coming from or going to the parks. This year has been, I assume, the "blow-up" year for the character, though. Maybe there'll be more of this in the future, but it's not like even the anime and plastic model otaku are carrying around figures all the time...only the game otaku are ever-present with their PSPs (rare) or DSs (so common it's mainstream, well beyond the game otaku). I don't hang out in Harajuku a lot, though. I imagine if more costumes went the way of the Halloween Cat and appealed to lolitas, he might get out of the parks. I wouldn't really like Duffy to be taken over by that crowd, though. I love them, and the Cat is great, but I think Duffy's aesthetic is fundamentally different. And those girls (and the guys around them) are the only ones so committed to the child aesthetic that they'd carry around plush dolls in public. I imagine that there are kids who carry Duffy everywhere, as with any teddy; but I got the sense that's not what you were talking about.

• Adventures with Duffy

I too wondered if Duffy was seen out on the town in other place in Japan. I wonder if people would carry him on the train or if he was put in a bag till they got to the parks. Sounds like he is the parks mostly, but people will take him with them on the trains getting to the park.

That is cool that Duffy is making his way over to TDL. Hes a great character for the resort. I wonder if they will ever do a costume representing each hotel? That could be cool. Maybe something that matched a CM costume, but if Duffy size. :-)

Maybe thats not the best idea, not sure. I didn't stay at an Official Hotel. I did take one non-park day to visit all three hotels and the shopping area that has the Disney Store.(I love how they had different items that seem to only be sold there)

If they did do something for Duffy outside the parks, but still only at TDR, would it ruin him? Sometimes if something gets to big and can be bought at different places, it loose its appeal. But then again, it can also make things grow.

What Im not sure of is a day in the parks to prices for a lot of the people in Japan? Here at DL its like $72 for one day. Kind of pricey, so a lot of local get passes(they max out at $430, I think) Why I wonder is if its to pricey for a day in the park, then if Duffy is offered at the hotels or his clothes are, something. Would more buy him?

• Adventures with Duffy

I was looking up Duffy things online and found some Duffy's from New York City. Are these the same size as TDS Duffy's? I know the ones they have at DLR are smaller.

• Journey On!

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    That is cool that Duffy is making his way over to TDL. Hes a great character for the resort. I wonder if they will ever do a costume representing each hotel? That could be cool. Maybe something that matched a CM costume, but if Duffy size. :-)

Maybe thats not the best idea, not sure. I didn't stay at an Official Hotel. I did take one non-park day to visit all three hotels and the shopping area that has the Disney Store.(I love how they had different items that seem to only be sold there)

If they did do something for Duffy outside the parks, but still only at TDR, would it ruin him? Sometimes if something gets to big and can be bought at different places, it loose its appeal. But then again, it can also make things grow.

What Im not sure of is a day in the parks to prices for a lot of the people in Japan? Here at DL its like $72 for one day. Kind of pricey, so a lot of local get passes(they max out at $430, I think) Why I wonder is if its to pricey for a day in the park, then if Duffy is offered at the hotels or his clothes are, something. Would more buy him?
    They did costumes for both the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and Miracosta as part of the 25th Anniversary, as well as CM uniforms from the Resort Line Monorail and several attractions at TDL and TDS including Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion. Each month there was a different uniform.

It is cool that the Japanese market has a lot of Japan-only items and that they are usually of very high quality, both at the Resort and in the Disney Stores. For me, it makes the merchandise doubly collectible for both its Disneyana and Japanesey-ness.

Per day admission is very slightly cheaper here, I think. ¥5800. But the Annual Passport for a single park is a hefty ¥55,000. ¥75,000 for a 2-Park Pass. I think the pricing is a little excessive, but from what I've heard the average percentage of Guests holding APs in Tokyo is around 40%, while it's more like 20% or less at other parks. Guess this goes to show why the merchandising is so different here - this is a market where people will shell out the cash for what they want. And as I've said before, I wasn't into Disney in the States, so maybe I just didn't really notice, but Disney seems to be a much bigger part of most people's lives here than in the US. At least the merchandising seems to be WAY more popular and mainstream. Disney characters are a big part of most kids lives, and stay with a much higher percentage of especially women for a much longer time than in the US, I think. This is also part of the reason for more expensive adult items - there's a larger market of people to buy them who don't necessarily think of themselves as "Disney people." I think this is to do with the Japanese approach to cute, and to the Japanese tendency to extend childhood interests into adulthood without the same stigma we often have in the US. Although it also seems to me that Japanese people are kinda moving more away from this and that American folks are indulging childhood dreams more without a loss of credibility. But this, again, is just what I think right now. I could easily be mistaken or even change my mind if asked later in the day.

I think, of course, that if Duffy was sold outside the parks, more people would buy him just because more people could more often and more easily. But I think a major part of what makes Duffy such a hit is that the character is such a completely limited park item with a whole persona that can only be accessed from his own area within TDS. I think if he was even available at TDL, much less Bon Voyage, much less the hotels, much less the Disney Stores, and heaven forbid - mass market - I think he would begin to lose his luster with both existing fans and the elusive allure that gains new Duffy fans daily. I suspect wide availability would kill the phenomenon within one to three years. There are LOTS of cute characters and plush toys all over Japan marketed for all ages. If you could get Duffy without buying a ticket, he'd just be "another one." Making Cape Cod his "hometown" and careful promotion/merchandising have increased interest and added value to both an area of the TDS with no real attractions, and the character himself. Both would be upset by disturbing this genius marketing balance.

PS - From what I've heard, even the older and NYC Downtown Disney bears that look more like Duffy are still slightly smaller than TDS Duffy bears. Gurgi could confirm or correct me here.^^

• Adventures with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    They did costumes for both the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and Miracosta as part of the 25th Anniversary, as well as CM uniforms from the Resort Line Monorail and several attractions at TDL and TDS including Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion. Each month there was a different uniform.

It is cool that the Japanese market has a lot of Japan-only items and that they are usually of very high quality, both at the Resort and in the Disney Stores. For me, it makes the merchandise doubly collectible for both its Disneyana and Japanesey-ness.

Per day admission is very slightly cheaper here, I think. ¥5800. But the Annual Passport for a single park is a hefty ¥55,000. ¥75,000 for a 2-Park Pass. I think the pricing is a little excessive, but from what I've heard the average percentage of Guests holding APs in Tokyo is around 40%, while it's more like 20% or less at other parks. Guess this goes to show why the merchandising is so different here - this is a market where people will shell out the cash for what they want. And as I've said before, I wasn't into Disney in the States, so maybe I just didn't really notice, but Disney seems to be a much bigger part of most people's lives here than in the US. At least the merchandising seems to be WAY more popular and mainstream. Disney characters are a big part of most kids lives, and stay with a much higher percentage of especially women for a much longer time than in the US, I think. This is also part of the reason for more expensive adult items - there's a larger market of people to buy them who don't necessarily think of themselves as "Disney people." I think this is to do with the Japanese approach to cute, and to the Japanese tendency to extend childhood interests into adulthood without the same stigma we often have in the US. Although it also seems to me that Japanese people are kinda moving more away from this and that American folks are indulging childhood dreams more without a loss of credibility. But this, again, is just what I think right now. I could easily be mistaken or even change my mind if asked later in the day.

I think, of course, that if Duffy was sold outside the parks, more people would buy him just because more people could more often and more easily. But I think a major part of what makes Duffy such a hit is that the character is such a completely limited park item with a whole persona that can only be accessed from his own area within TDS. I think if he was even available at TDL, much less Bon Voyage, much less the hotels, much less the Disney Stores, and heaven forbid - mass market - I think he would begin to lose his luster with both existing fans and the elusive allure that gains new Duffy fans daily. I suspect wide availability would kill the phenomenon within one to three years. There are LOTS of cute characters and plush toys all over Japan marketed for all ages. If you could get Duffy without buying a ticket, he'd just be "another one." Making Cape Cod his "hometown" and careful promotion/merchandising have increased interest and added value to both an area of the TDS with no real attractions, and the character himself. Both would be upset by disturbing this genius marketing balance.

PS - From what I've heard, even the older and NYC Downtown Disney bears that look more like Duffy are still slightly smaller than TDS Duffy bears. Gurgi could confirm or correct me here.^^
    Thank you, I didn't realize they had done hotel costumes for Duffy. I do remember a ToT one, when i was there and it was cute.

I do agree with you, that I think Duffy only in TDS does make him more special. I complain all the time how the states parks have the same stuff in almost all the stores. I hate that, doesn't interest me, due to I like the hunt of shopping and if the same stuff is everywhere, then you only need to go in to a few stores. Its not like I can hunt for a deal. Disney doesn't know the work deal. LOL Anyhow, I figured it would be better to keep Duffy only in TDS, but liked to see what you guys had to say.

AP's in Tokyo are pricey, but if people are willing to pay it, why not? :-) I do wonder if that is why TDR is able to do more/better shows?

The prices of AP's in California has been a hot topic on some of the boards. The chat is about how busy the parks are and really DL is over crowded by about 2:00 pm. Its so busy, its not enjoyable, due to cracky people that I tend to leave the park and go to DCA, a much less crowded(till they add World of Color). Its just nicer in DCA, some breathing room.

DL is the smallest park, not sure in square footage, but in path ways it is. Where the WDW, PDL, TDL(maybe Hong Kong, not sure its the park I haven't been to yet) have much bigger walk ways and can handle way more people. I think TDL does it best, the crowd control was wonderful. I was truly impressed. Anyhow there has been talk of raising the AP for DLR, so I see the AP prices going to like what it is at TDR. Im not sure guest would pay for it here, like they do in Tokyo. Time will tell.

Anyhow, back on Duffys costumes. It didn't hit me till now, that Cape Cod is Duffys town, but it makes senses. Really gives him a place of his own and works well with the story line.

• Loves Mickey!

Ah, but can Cape Cod even hold Duffy! They added a merchandise cart outside of Aunt Peg's which has additional registers within that store and in addition to merchandise sold in McDuck's! The line for Duffy is huge even when the park is not crowded. Why they would not make a Duffy attraction is beyond me!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, they did create hotel costumes for Duffy during TDL's 25th anniversary. In fact, that was really the first time anything TDL related was made available for Duffy. There was about a half & half ratio for the 12 anniversary costumes. TDL was represented with the Balloon Vendor, Space Mountain, Good Time Cafe, Haunted Mansion, Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, and Custodial CM costumes.

In my opinion, that should be all they do though. I agree with DuffyDad, that if they start making him widely available at all shops around the resort, and even outside the parks, it will diminish his appeal. If it's easy to get him, people will just figure they can pick one up any time. I love that he's only for sale in one port at TDS. Sure, McDuck's carries him too, but it's still confined to American Waterfront. I also like that they tend to do their own thing with him. Even during Halloween, he was not tied directly to Mysterious Masquerade. The closest he got was the ghost costume. So, he's still pretty exclusive.

That's part of his appeal to me, that he's not overexposed, and they have had very tastefully small events for him, and don't whore him out in every show, parade, event, etc. And...he doesn't have a voice! I hope he never does either...that would spoil part of his charm. Even with something like "Sweet Duffy", it was limited to Cape Cod only, and not tied into Seasons of the Heart, which was great, if you ask me. We'll see what they do this year.

I really do hope that Cape Cod can hold Duffy. Even if they add more merchandise carts, registers, stores, etc. I hope it's kept there. And...since Toy Story Midway Mania is NOT going into the land, like the rumors stated, it's still possible for Cape Cod to basically be Duffy central. There are no real attractions there, so to make it the place to meet him, kind of like ToonTown is for Mickey, then I have no problem with that. When he starts to show up in other lands, ports, shops, then I think he's going to lose popularity.

As for the local AP crowd thing. Actually, Disneyland in CA is similar to TDL in how locals view it. The ratio for DL is closer to 60%AP's 40% tourists. So, really, they could follow the TDR pattern of special events and stuff. DL does kind of do that with merchandise events, special AP access to new attractions and shows, and adding more entertainment to the holiday offerings. WDW on the other hand keeps removing things while charging the same prices. Also, a much smaller AP crowd. I would guess that WDW is more like 20% AP's and 80% tourists. I've always wished that DL would follow the TDR model and offer new events each year. They are getting much better, but still have a long way to go to compare to TDL. HKDL is actually more closely following the TDR model with seasonal shows, and special events...although they kind of have to, since they don't have enough real attractions yet. I'm sure that will change with the 3 new lands coming, but still, I like that they are at least trying, and even the merchandise takes it's cue from TDR.

• Adventures with Duffy

Wow, they did a lot of CM costumes for Duffy. I didn't relaize the ones I was see on line(there was a link somewhere in here to another site that show all Duffy costumes) that they were CM costumes. I remember one looking like ToT and I think that one was out when I was there. Anyhow, that is cool that they did CM costumes. Hopefully they were a hit and they do more or just more outfits for him.

What or who is Sweet Duffy?

Have they ever made a lanyard for Duffy? That would be cute if they did a mini one for him. I can see it changing with the seasons too. I liked TDR lanyard, I do wonder if you would lose your pass or it might fall out.

That is good to hear that HKDL is following after TDR. I think that will make it very successful. I guess I remember DLR back when it wasn't a resort and I miss those days. The merchandise was so much better then what you find these days. I am all about the shopping. lol Guest were nicer back then too. I do think the park is over crowded for it size and what it offers and all the pushing, trying to get things done makes people cracky. Add in warm hot weather makes it worse. Don't get me wrong I am lucky to live so close and enjoy the parks often. I just miss the easy care free non planning day in the park. But they have to make money and grow, so i should be happy DLR is still there and doing well.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I was looking up Duffy things online and found some Duffy's from New York City. Are these the same size as TDS Duffy's? I know the ones they have at DLR are smaller.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to answer this question. The NYC Duffy bears are a bit smaller than the TDS ones. I would say by a few inches all around. They are about 15 inches tall standing. You could fit their t-shirts on TDS Duffy, but it will be just a bit snug...not a huge problem though. DuffyDad has a couple of the WDW Disney Bear shirts, and they seem to fit Duffy ok, if a bit small.

The thing about the NYC bears though, is that they are closer to the old Disney Bear/Duffy style. there are the other ones that have the swappable t-shirts that have a different design, and cheaper construction. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the NYC "old school" Duffy with the newer revision.

I actually regret not buying one of the early Disney Bears, because they released one in my favorite color, purple!

There's no way I can afford to buy one on the secondary market now, but I would love a lavender Duffy.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, they did a lot of CM costumes for Duffy. I didn't relaize the ones I was see on line(there was a link somewhere in here to another site that show all Duffy costumes) that they were CM costumes. I remember one looking like ToT and I think that one was out when I was there. Anyhow, that is cool that they did CM costumes. Hopefully they were a hit and they do more or just more outfits for him.
    They've only done costumes like that twice. The first time was in 2006 for TDS's 5th Anniversary. They weren't cast costumes, but character costumes that Mickey wore. There was the 5th Anniversary "Admiral Mickey" costume, Mickey's Spring Carnival costume, his Seasons of the Heart suit, and a Tower of Terror CM costume, and the Candlelight Reflections Santa suit.

The second time was just last year for TDL's 25th, and there were 12 cast member costumes in total, one released each month of the anniversary. I'll bet they'll do it again for TDS's 10th in 2011.

What or who is Sweet Duffy?
    It was a very low-key Valentine's themed event with Duffy as the host. They had a cute story about him opening up his own "Sweet Duffy" cafe to help people come together and either fall in love, or just spend time with each other...all around sweet baked goods. He had a special costume released that looked like a cute little cafe worker with an apron. Here's some photos of some of the merchandise, and the story.

Story (it's in Japanese though):

Have they ever made a lanyard for Duffy? That would be cute if they did a mini one for him. I can see it changing with the seasons too. I liked TDR lanyard, I do wonder if you would lose your pass or it might fall out.
    They probably have made a few. I know they have one this year for Christmas. I've seen them on Yahoo auctions. Here's what it looks like:

Front:

Back:
    Last edited by gurgi; 11-13-2009 at 02:12 PM.

• North American Duffeteer

All of the merchandise for Sweet Duffy are both very cool and very cute.
    Thanks, gurgi.

• is "Turn[ing] It Off"

^ I agree ... thanks for the Sweet Duffy screencaps, gurgi. I don't remember reading the Sweet Duffy story when it was on the website! It was soooooo cute. I do remember looking at the goods, but I only casually collected Duffy at the time. I have the pudding cup and souvenir plate. I also have the cellphone strap in the picture and a Duffy plush in the Sweet Duffy costume. Looking back, I wish I would have, at least, gotten the bigger costume for the standard Duffy, but I didn't collect those at the time. I'm happy to have what I have, though

• Journey On!

Thumbs up Re: Best outfits for Duffy The Disney Bear

Here are the photos with English translation, courtesy my 3D Duffy Storybook project. I'll post the story pages in a moment...

Valentines 2/14~

White Day ~3/14

Not to be outdone with consumer holidays, in Japan, girls give chocolates (usually homemade) to boys (and male teachers!^^) on Valentine's Day. And they invented White Day for boys to return the favor. So in Japan 2/14~3/14 is the "Season of the Heart."

These translations were really easy. The next ones, though, were a killer!^^

• Loves Mickey!

^^^^
    Very cool DuffyDad!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast