Thread: Good omiage?

Good omiyage?

Hey, just wondering what people usually bring back for people back home? I was thinking of taking some stuff back for some Disneyphiles I know, but I'm not sure what sorts of things people have found successful. Most of them have somewhat untrained palates, so I'm not sure a lot of the edibles would go down well with them, and I was sort of looking for things on the cheap side, and also not so kawaii that men wouldn't be seen with them.

I kind of like the Mickey hand card carriers, but I forget whether they sell them back home or not? Anyone know? Thanks!
    Last edited by lonegungirl; 11-15-2009 at 07:46 AM.

• Loves Mickey!

Re: Good omiage?

Quote Originally Posted by lonegungirl View Post
    Hey, just wondering what people usually bring back for people back home? I was thinking of taking some stuff back for some Disneyphiles I know, but I'm not sure what sorts of things people have found successful. Most of them have somewhat untrained palates, so I'm not sure a lot of the edibles would go down well with them, and I was sort of looking for things on the cheap side, and also not so kawaii that men wouldn't be seen with them.

I kind of like the Mickey hand card carriers, but I forget whether they sell them back home or not? Anyone know? Thanks!

If they like the Disney theme parks they would probably really like the story papers you can get from guest relations and the guide maps. It's free, does not take up luggage space and gives an idea of the different things you did at the park! They also sell things like pens and mini note pads that come like 6 to a pack which you can give to many people and again does not take a lot of luggage space. You can ask for lots of little bags when you buy it and in the bag put in a pen with the story papers and voila a pretty nice souvenir which will not break the bank!

Thumbs up Re: Good omiage?

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    If they like the Disney theme parks they would probably really like the story papers you can get from guest relations and the guide maps. It's free, does not take up luggage space and gives an idea of the different things you did at the park! They also sell things like pens and mini note pads that come like 6 to a pack which you can give to many people and again does not take a lot of luggage space. You can ask for lots of little bags when you buy it and in the bag put in a pen with the story papers and voila a pretty nice souvenir which will not break the bank!
    How much do we this woman, right?^^ Seriously, if I didn't live here I would think the Story Papers were just about the best souvenir ever. You can also find a nice Guide Holder to put them in if you want better presentation. My Guide Holder only has six pockets...not sure if some have more. I have one pocket for DisneySEA Story Papers, one for TDL, one each for maps, and one each for TODAY guides.^^

• Adventures with Duffy

What are guide holders? I figure it holds your guide, but is there more to it then that?

What I brought back that were the pens sets, paper, some cell phone charms( I think they had some in a pack of 6). One lucky friend got a Duffy. At the Disney Store (at TDR) they had these 4 tins, with hard candies in them. I grab a few of those. The draw sting bags were a great gift too. I have a friend that likes Haunted Mansion, they had a draw sting bag that looked like the CM for HM costume.

As a gift for yourself, I bought a couple of coffee travel mugs(the ones with the tops) I just love them. They are smaller then what you can get in the states, which I like and its a bit of TDR with your morning coffee or tea.

And keep your eye open while walking pass the outdoor vendors, TDR has a lot of cute items that come with a food item. One of my coffee travel mugs came that way. So you get a treat in the park and a take home. Which you could use as a gift if you wanted too.

• Banned User

Janell, the guideholders are hard plastic books that hold guidemaps and are great for keepsake and collecting guidemaps from the parks. these are unique to TDR and HKDL. the guideholders kind of look like photo albums, only long retangular shape. nice artwork on the covers.

As for omiyage.. anything that is food related from TDR in those nice exclusive tin boxes and bags would be a special unique gift from TDR. The food items are usually very fresh and well presented inside the boxes. So that is what i would bring back.

Thanks for all the good suggestions! I've never heard of the story papers--I'll have to drop by guest services tomorrow to ask about them.

Although they're a little much for random gift-giving, I also love the resort calendars they have out now! I already bought a week-by-week for myself, and some wall ones for family. I like how each page has something different instead of just repeating the same four graphics over and over again, like some of the calendars do.

Thanks again!