Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: DisneySEA dilemma!

I'm not sure how you can compare Animal Kingdom as a whole to DisneySea. The former has two very well-themed areas in Asia and Africa, but the rest of the park falls far below the expected theming of Disney parks. I'd actually put Epcot's World Showcase as being more impressive than Animal Kingdom when it comes to theming and attention to detail. There are just too many bland and ho-hum areas in Animal Kingdom for it to even rival DisneySea in theming, especially considering the fact that DisneySea is exquisitely themed to the gills in every nook and cranny. And that is expected considering DisneySea cost at least 4 times what Animal Kingdom did to build
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post

I never understood why WDS gets that reputation especially since the extensive expansion it has gotten. It's a cute little park- like HKDL.
    Hahaha!! that is the most laughable statement you have written on Micechat so far.
    HKDL is a themed wise fully realized DL park that in some case, it surpasses the quality of some dated parks like the MK. HKDL is not fully realized but certainly is a much much much better park over the undercooked WDS in paris. Trus, some improvements have been made to the paris Studios park, but it is still a long way to go to catch up with the theming and atmospheres found at HKDL.

Every park isn't as great as TDS- but they don't suck compared to it. DAK easily rivals TDS in themeing.
    Sorry, but I have todisagree with this...there's a few well themed areas of DAK, but other than that it's nothing but trees and foliage, plus the incredibly gaudy, tacky Dino-Rama which trumps any nice theming in other areas of the park.

When I when to DAK the first few times, I was amazed at the sheer amount of trees everywhere, I wonder how it would look if the trees were removed and the buildings remained, how empty it would look.

Also, DAK is designed to look run down and old for most of it, whereas TDS looks mostly new, except for parts like the Lost River Delta area which are supposed to be ancient.

• Banned User

Thank you Chris. Well said, but since you have been to TDS, you know that. Scott apparently does not have a clue about TDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I'm not sure how you can compare Animal Kingdom as a whole to DisneySea. The former has two very well-themed areas in Asia and Africa, but the rest of the park falls far below the expected theming of Disney parks.
    TDR_Fan, you have to understand that some people (like wannabe imagineer scott) probably have never been to TDS, and all their heresay and contradiction (especially to my opinions) could be from him being paid by Disney to plant such opinions on boards ike this one. CMs here are so transparent and badly disguised... People who have never been to TDS have not got a clue as to how impressive this park really is. Animal Kingdom is only a very small example of what TDS really is. Scott also forgets that I have been to ALL of the Disney parks on Earth, repeatedly, which is something even he can't claim for himself, and trust me, when i give WDS a bad rap, they deserve it, especially for being next to the most beautiful DL park built so far. Comparing HKDL to WDS was truly laughable, and when you take in consideration my original review of WDSP when it opened...("this sorry excuse of a park makes me long for the more truly realized atmospheres found at DCA..") What does that tell you? Even disney declared DCA and WDSP unacceptable. reason for their re-themings.
    Hardcore fans who make that kind of stupid statements about disney parks in general are simply not knowledgeable enough. Lucky for me, my opinins come from my vast experience visiting the various disney parks since 1972. people who have not visited TDS simply have not gotten a clue about how impressively good the Imagineering dept at Disney can really be, given the money and the free range to go thru the roof in ideas...and that potential has been fully realized at TDS.

Therefore, regardless of how expensive a trip to Tokyo may be.. my best advise to the originator of this thread is to never give up with his dream to visit TDR. Seems to me he values theming and disney's quality as much as I do, and no one here should have the right to say anything to discourage him from having a desire to go see TDR. So, MikeW.. never give up and persevere. you will get there if you want to. so don't really pay attention much to what folks here are saying. You GO!

I also wanted to note, re: Randy Savage's comparison pics showing the Portofino Bay hotel at Universal Orlando vs. The MiraCosta....

I LIKE the Portofino but it suffers badly from lack of atmosphere and like those pictures show, lack of guests. But yes, it is no match for the MiraCosta

• Mike_Wazowski

Thank you everyone for your comments!

I will look into prices- I'm not sure how much more expensive it is to go to Florida from the UK in comparison to the USA.

I will make a suggestion- show them what the parks are really like so they understand why I want to go and think that they would enjoy it to. And if they so no... I will respect their decision and hopefully go when I am old enough. I shouldn't demand anything- but I could make a few suggestions

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Hahaha!! that is the most laughable statement you have written on Micechat so far.
    HKDL is a themed wise fully realized DL park that in some case, it surpasses the quality of some dated parks like the MK. HKDL is not fully realized but certainly is a much much much better park over the undercooked WDS in paris. Trus, some improvements have been made to the paris Studios park, but it is still a long way to go to catch up with the theming and atmospheres found at HKDL.
    HKDL has just enough to keep me there and occupied a full day. By cute little park I meant it's somewhere I love to go and have a great time at- like WDS.

By cute little park you thought I meant that was negative when in reality it wasn't. You should really ask how I meant before you just bash someone.

I like those 2 Disney parks- quite a lot. Sue me.

And by the way- not everyone has to agree with you TDLfan. You can just say you disagree rather than basically saying my opinions are wrong. Get over yourself.

I'm not sure how you can compare Animal Kingdom as a whole to DisneySea. The former has two very well-themed areas in Asia and Africa, but the rest of the park falls far below the expected theming of Disney parks. I'd actually put Epcot's World Showcase as being more impressive than Animal Kingdom when it comes to theming and attention to detail. There are just too many bland and ho-hum areas in Animal Kingdom for it to even rival DisneySea in theming, especially considering the fact that DisneySea is exquisitely themed to the gills in every nook and cranny. And that is expected considering DisneySea cost at least 4 times what Animal Kingdom did to build
    Well... it is supposed to have a lot of trees. Sorta like TDS is supposed to have a lot of water. I've been to both places and Animal Kingdom felt just as immersive as TDS. The only bad area in DAK is Dinorama- a subland- but even that still has immersive themeing whether you like the carnival feel or not.

I also think WS and Hollywood Blvd. (minus hat) are comparable to TDS.

And guys, if you don't like my opinion just say so. I too have been to these parks and this is just how I feel. This is a forum where you express your opinons and chat, not get attacked and dominated against.

one hundred and one

• Minion

Well... it is supposed to have a lot of trees. Sorta like TDS is supposed to have a lot of water. I've been to both places and Animal Kingdom felt just as immersive as TDS. The only bad area in DAK is Dinorama- a subland- but even that still has immersive themeing whether you like the carnival feel or not.

I wasn't arguing that Animal Kingdom wasn't immersive. I was talking about theming in a general sense. The scale and attention to detail that seperates Disney parks from others. I only see that in the Asia and Africa areas of Animal Kingdom. World Showcase is also impressive when it comes to architectural theming and atmosphere no doubt. When I say comparable to DisneySea, I was referring to the elaborate scale of the park. Objectively speaking, no other theme park matches this incredible detail. And they honestly shouldn't given how much more was spent on DisneySea versus other Disney parks. Whether or not other parks have equally immersive (as that is subjective) areas was not my point of refutal.

• Banned User

HKDL has just enough to keep me there and occupied a full day. By cute little park I meant it's somewhere I love to go and have a great time at- like WDS.

By cute little park you thought I meant that was negative when in reality it wasn't. You should really ask how I meant before you just bash someone.

I like those 2 Disney parks- quite a lot. Sue me.

And by the way- not everyone has to agree with you TDLfan. You can just say you disagree rather than basically saying my opinions are wrong. Get over yourself.
    Your standards must suck if you can compare HKDL to WDS. Where is the detail in Walt Disney Studios? Oh right, there isn't! HKDL is just wonderfully themed to 4 locations. WDS isn't even themed to 1 location. Just a mix up jumble of crap.

And guys, if you don't like my opinion just say so. I too have been to these parks and this is just how I feel. This is a forum where you express your opinons and chat, not get attacked and dominated against.
    Trees make a good park...haha...that was funny. TDS having water is what sells the theme to do...okay, I'll stop there.

The only bad area is Dinorama, give me a break. Where is the attractions in DAK? EE, Kilamjaro, Kali, anything else I guess not. The attraction count at DAK is just incredibly low compared to TDS that has amazingly themed areas that are good nthemes! C'mon, I can't believe you call Camp Minnie Mickey a decent area.

We don't like your opinion because it is exactly what the cheap folks at Disney have trained you to be, liking minimalism.

• Resident of the Caldera

Animal Kingdom rivals DisneySea in theming?
    You're joking!
    Animal Kingdom exceeds DisneySea in only one thing: the amount of flora. Otherwise, no contest. Animal Kingdom's new signature ride, Expedition Everest, has special effects that work sporadically at best. I've never seen the damn Yeti do anything other than stand motionless in the dark. Shall we compare that to Journey to the Center of the Earth where everything is always functioning at full throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    You're joking!
    Animal Kingdom exceeds DisneySea in only one thing: the amount of flora. Otherwise, no contest. Animal Kingdom's new signature ride, Expedition Everest, has special effects that work sporadically at best. I've never seen the damn Yeti do anything other than stand motionless in the dark. Shall we compare that to Journey to the Center of the Earth where everything is always functioning at full throttle?
    I won't totally disagree with you, however, quality of theming vs. maintenace/design of the Yeti AA (and the bird) are two separate conversations.

The area surrounding Everest and the ride itself, minus the Yeti (and bird) issues....is probably the only great overall theming WDW has had since....Tower of Terror? Even then, they didn't put the full mountain together like they should have, since it's so clearly visible outside of the park

As an aside, I should apologize to the OP for helping to completely derail the thread into a WDW vs. TDS argument...but it happens sometimes.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    You're joking!
    Agreed. And I'm not sure how any Disney fan can call Dinorama "immersively themed" when there is almost no theming at all. It is a bare concrete pit with cheesy decorations everywhere. The area is so cheap-looking that it looks like it belongs in a small county fair (maybe even worse) rather than a quality Disney park. Replicating a run-down carnival (which are a dime a dozen around the country) in a theme park about animals has got to be one of the worst ideas ever conceived.

• Pongo is my hero.

Your standards must suck if you can compare HKDL to WDS. Where is the detail in Walt Disney Studios? Oh right, there isn't! HKDL is just wonderfully themed to 4 locations. WDS isn't even themed to 1 location. Just a mix up jumble of crap.
    For both park's size, yes I think they are comparable. They offer many different attractions, but it's mainly the size that I compared. Notice I called them cute little parks.

Although my standards may suck (ha! okay?), I'm not the one throwing around insults and acting like a little kid.

Trees make a good park...haha...that was funny. TDS having water is what sells the theme to do...okay, I'll stop there.

The only bad area is Dinorama, give me a break. Where is the attractions in DAK? EE, Kilamjaro, Kali, anything else I guess not. The attraction count at DAK is just incredibly low compared to TDS that has amazingly themed areas that are good nthemes! C'mon, I can't believe you call Camp Minnie Mickey a decent area.

We don't like your opinion because it is exactly what the cheap folks at Disney have trained you to be, liking minimalism.
    Ok? Are you done acting like an e-thug over my opinion? I get it, you disagree. But that doesn't change my opinion.

I've been to both parks and I like DAK more and I think they're comparable. I'm a huge animal lover (which is what tips the scale for me)- maybe you love the seas- but I still think they're both amazing parks and that's something you might not grasp but someday you might.

Agreed. And I'm not sure how any Disney fan can call Dinorama "immersively themed" when there is almost no theming at all. It is a bare concrete pit with cheesy decorations everywhere. The area is so cheap-looking that it looks like it belongs in a small county fair (maybe even worse) rather than a quality Disney park. Replicating a run-down carnival (which are a dime a dozen around the country) in a theme park about animals has got to be one of the worst ideas ever conceived.
    Dinorama does have an in depth backstory and is very well themed outside of the cheesy carnie games and the exposed coaster. I know there's a website out there explaining it point blank- but a long story short: the area is a cheesy roadside attraction area made to feed off of the Dino Institute's success (DINOSAUR ride) and there are tons of little easter eggs in the area that connect to the story of Chester and Hester. Theme is there- 100% but it is still a carnival and I completely see where people are coming from when talking about Dinorama. Joe Rodhe has confirmed it's very temporary though, so we'll see (:

I wasn't arguing that Animal Kingdom wasn't immersive. I was talking about theming in a general sense. The scale and attention to detail that seperates Disney parks from others. I only see that in the Asia and Africa areas of Animal Kingdom. World Showcase is also impressive when it comes to architectural theming and atmosphere no doubt. When I say comparable to DisneySea, I was referring to the elaborate scale of the park. Objectively speaking, no other theme park matches this incredible detail. And they honestly shouldn't given how much more was spent on DisneySea versus other Disney parks. Whether or not other parks have equally immersive (as that is subjective) areas was not my point of refutal.
    I respect this post very much as it isn't nasty like some of the others. TDS is one of the best theme parks ever built. That's one thing we probably can all agree on.
    Last edited by Imagineer Scott; 12-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.

one hundred and one

Dinorama does have an in depth backstory and is very well themed outside of the cheesy carnie games and the exposed coaster. I know there's a website out there explaining it point blank- but a long story short: the area is a cheesy roadside attraction area made to feed off of the Dino Institute's success (DINOSAUR ride) and there are tons of little easter eggs in the area that connect to the story of Chester and Hester. Theme is there- 100% but it is still a carnival and I completely see where people are coming from when talking about Dinorama. Joe Rodhe has confirmed it's very temporary though, so we'll see (:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can give a pet rock an incredible, 1,000 page, 100 chapter back story, but in the end, looking at it...it is STILL just a pet rock...and in the case of DinoRama, 95% of guests will NEVER know the backstory anyway. So you have to take it at face value....which is a cheap carnival

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast