Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    I have to disagree with you. I think if they did this they would kill the whole thing and lose the profits they are making. Do you know Hanabatake Farm? They were an extremely popular nama caramel company from Hokkaido and opened a shop in Tokyo. One shop was fine and always had a huge line because it was exclusive and a great product. Then they opened two more stores and now nobody cares anymore and if you want you can just walk in with no wait anytime. It became not special and if they took Duffy out of TDS and in the Disney store and on television the same thing would happen.
    I have to agree with you. Strongly.^^

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I can see how to bring Duffy to the masses with out being in all the parks and that is to have an on-line thing. not sure what to call it or how to do it. But one idea is they release two different costumes each month. If they could up production to three a month, have one sold on line only. This would still draw a crowd into the parks for the out costumes but give the world wide Duffy followers something too. Maybe that is stupid not sure. But I do think Duffy should stay at TDS. Its his home. And soon it will be where his show is.
    I don't think that's stupid; I think it's interesting. Expanding the website to allow for online ordering and possibly adapting Malin's animation idea by having short Flash animated webisodes or something... Because it would be limited to Duffy's site, this wouldn't bother me. As long as we have to seek it out, and it's not just everywhere, an expansion to the website in these ways is not a bad idea at all. Now that he has a real live show coming to Cape Cod Cook-Off, it would be a cinch to adapt the Cook-Off area of the website into a stage show for his animated adventures. They could also make a new pop-up storybook for that stage, with punch-out paper characters, props and costumes. I wonder if there will be seasonal changes to the show, too? Duffy has always been very seasonal.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    I think the biggest factor in Duffy's success is that he (she?) is Mickey's bear. That fact in itself gave Duffy a lot of credence in the eyes of many Japanese guests. Perhaps from now on, Duffy doesn't "need" the support of Mickey and Minnie in terms of marketing and merchandising. However, it got a big boost from the start when it was associated with Mickey.

When he was first introduced for Harborside Christmas 2004, Duffy was Mickey's favorite toy sprinkled with pixie dust to come alive. From that point on, the bear became part of DisneySea lore. Within a month, there was already merchandise available. By the following July, he had found a home in Cape Cod.
    I see where you're coming from, Joe, and I think you're right...kind of. I think that connection may have been important for the Disney Bear, a little. But I think the Mickeyness that supports Duffy isn't being owned by Mickey, but the Mickey marks all over his body. And in that respect, too, you're right that the design came from WDW or WDC. I do think the design with the Mickey marks is Duffy's primary asset, but I do think what OLC have done with him is impressive. The Mickey ears got people's attention; the localized story and Japanese-designed costumes got them hooked. Without the costumes and cell phone straps, I don't think Duffy would ever have become what he is today. If Chandu had changed clothes in his different Sindbad scenes, I believe his plush might have been more successful. What people are connecting with is the sense of personal customization. The Mickey branding makes Duffy marketable, especially to casual fans, but it's like Gurgi said earlier: it's the strong feeling of personal ownership that makes him what he is for the hardcore fans. And it's because of this phenomenon that he's getting a show. I think it could not have happened without the reconceived story and costumes, even with the Mickey marks.

Other characters introduced in attractions but pushed by OLC (not necessarily Disney), Chandu, Max and Shiriki, haven't fared as well. None of them have really been were associated with Mickey.

"Orange Bird" came in before "The Disney Bear" in 2004 and hardly made a dent in the minds of Japanese. It's had limited success outside TDR without Miickey around. Hehehe.

When Ikispiari opened, OLC wanted to make their own characters and concept with Camp Nepos (outside of Disney and the Mouse). We all know what happened to that project.
    Who's Max? You don't mean Goofy's son, right? Neither Chandu nor Utundu are as popular as Duffy, but Utundu is very popular and lots of people do buy Chandu stuff even if they don't ride Sindbad. Chandu earmuffs are so hot right now!^^ I think you're right that the Mickey emblem helps Duffy, but I think revamping the story - removing the pixie dust and grounding him in Cape Cod, plus connecting him with more characters (Minnie and other characters have no connection to the Disney Bear), went a long way in making him a permanent character and not just a fleeting product. The Disney Bear was always naked and enchanted by fake magic. The costumes, the cafe, the show, the mysterious self-endowed magic...despite the great design, none of these things was supported by the original concept and I think the revamp, plus the costume merchandising it created are really where the staying power lies.

As much credit as OLC is being given with the success of Duffy, I believe it was the connection to Mickey and Minnie as one of the biggest (or the biggest) reason why it has become the success that it is in Japan.

The whole Americana, innocent, non-flashy atmosphere of the bear lends well to Cape Cod, which I have been told was a WDC suggestion. And of course he fits in well with the Japanese "kawaii" concept. But let us not forget the power that Mickey has in the hearts of Japanese.
    I agree; it's his bringing-people-together-ness. That did not exist in the original concept; he was only with Mickey, and only while no one else was in the park. The Minnie connection, as far as I've been told, was written here. And if Cape Cod was not OLC's idea, then I guess I should stop giving them credit for it, but I still have been told that the new artwork in the storybook and during event campaigns like Sweet Duffy are done by a Japanese illustrator, so the "feel" of Duffy's Americana still seems Japanese-produced to me. If I've been misinformed about this, too, I'll happily stand corrected. Wherever he comes from and whoever is planning him, they're doing a great job!^^

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    Who's Max? You don't mean Goofy's son, right?
    Oops, my mistake! I meant ROCKY (from "Ride and Go Seek"), not Max. I'll correct it in my original post.
    Last edited by JoeInJpn; 12-03-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

I have kind of been hoping for a new show in Cape Cod Cook Off. Donald's Boat Builders is wonderful and unique but I need a Disney entertainment fix and seeing that the American parks can't give that to me, I always turn to Tokyo Disney and they have yet to fail me!

• Loves Mickey!

Oops, my mistake! I meant ROCKY (from "Ride and Go Seek"), not Max. I'll correct it in my original post.
    Because Rocky has crazy eyes! He probably freaks people out.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I have to disagree with you. I think if they did this they would kill the whole thing and lose the profits they are making. Do you know Hanabatake Farm? They were an extremely popular nama caramel company from Hokkaido and opened a shop in Tokyo. One shop was fine and always had a huge line because it was exclusive and a great product. Then they opened two more stores and now nobody cares anymore and if you want you can just walk in with no wait anytime. It became not special and if they took Duffy out of TDS and in the Disney store and on television the same thing would happen.
    Interesting so unlike Hello Kitty which is a global hit, you don't feel Duffy has that same potential. I admit pushing the Duffy name could have an adverse effect on profits like with Hanabatake Farm, but the former was a food product and doesn't have the same appeal to something like Duffy. The way I view it is that Duffy has become an obsession for the Japanese like say another Snoopy and I'm not sure by keeping him park exclusive, they are doing the Bear any favours. Without some sort of growth Duffy could quickly loose his momentum and get loss in the mix once the new Characters start arriving at the park in the next few years. My concern is that he'll become the next Roger Rabbit, a character who during the height of his fame was involve in all sort of entertainment productions and on merchandise lines, now days except for a few appearances in Toon Town, your lucky to see him at all. On the plus side Duffy being kept exclusive is really bringing in the crowds to TDS. And the best thing about this is that people are coming to the park not to ride the attractions but to buy his merchandise and no doubt food once the show opens next year.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I agree with those who say too much Duffy might be a bad thing. Hello Kitty has been around for so long now, that she's engrained in pop culture. She has had her own cartoons, and has had a voice. But, for the most part, she's been fairly quiet. At least in the US, she's not too overexposed. With Duffy, he's still so new that he hasn't had the time to become part of people's subconscious. I do think that his ties to Mickey did help him get a leg up, but now he's slowly getting away from that on his own. But, to give him a cartoon or a voice, or overexposure so soon, I think it could cause people to not care. Even Stitch doesn't seem to be as popular as Duffy, and Stitch does have a movie, 2 TV series, and an attraction at TDL. So, I personally hope they don't let Duffy leave TDS. Hey, if anything, he's helping get people into the park that might not go as often.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Because Rocky has crazy eyes! He probably freaks people out.
    Yeah, I have actually liked Rocky's design less and less as time passes, rather than him growing on me. There's just not much there.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Interesting so unlike Hello Kitty which is a global hit, you don't feel Duffy has that same potential. I admit pushing the Duffy name could have an adverse effect on profits like with Hanabatake Farm, but the former was a food product and doesn't have the same appeal to something like Duffy. The way I view it is that Duffy has become an obsession for the Japanese like say another Snoopy and I'm not sure by keeping him park exclusive, they are doing the Bear any favours. Without some sort of growth Duffy could quickly loose his momentum and get loss in the mix once the new Characters start arriving at the park in the next few years. My concern is that he'll become the next Roger Rabbit, a character who during the height of his fame was involve in all sort of entertainment productions and on merchandise lines, now days except for a few appearances in Toon Town, your lucky to see him at all. On the plus side Duffy being kept exclusive is really bringing in the crowds to TDS. And the best thing about this is that people are coming to the park not to ride the attractions but to buy his merchandise and no doubt food once the show opens next year.
    Hm...of course Duffy is wonderful, and I'm sure that many people around the world could connect with him. But even just looking at how some folks on MiceChat react when us "bear geeks" start talking, I don't think "Duffy Worldwide" is highly realistic, sadly.

I think a key difference that makes the Hello Kitty/Duffy comparison unworkable on a global scale is this: both in Japan and in the global marketplace, Hello Kitty is a symbol of this nation. For Sanrio, she is also the icon of the company. For Disney, America, and the world; that spot is already filled by Mickey Mouse. Duffy cannot function the way Kitty does. He cannot have that universality; it's Mickey's. But in Japan - and only in Japan - he can be represent the perfect union when Japanese concepts of cute, extended childhood, and plush/fashion/brand worship combine with the mystique of Disney. And because of the Japanese market, his limited availability status is a requirement. Certainly Duffy would sell outside of the parks, but then he would just be "that teddy bear with Mickey Mouse marks." There are already so many famous teddies - Ruxpin, Rupert, Paddington - and, of course, "Disney's own" Winnie the Pooh. As Gurgi stated so clearly, he doesn't yet have the history to be competitive with these characters' powerful and instantaneous emotional impact. Time will tell if that may be possible.

Further, because you have to gain admission into "Dream Land," as the Japanese often refer to TDR, and because Duffy can only be purchased in heavily-themed shops from well-trained CMs, his allure remains intact. If you could buy Duffy at places where he wasn't displayed in classic storefront windows and where his merchandise didn't feel to be the main draw, he would quickly lose the illusion that he's more than just an expensively priced, heavily branded teddy bear. The full immersion into the park and his positioning as a "super souvenir" of that "other world" are huge assets. You cannot underestimate the power of human experience, and the fact that Duffys are only bought while all senses are overloaded with the atmosphere of romanticized Americana feeds the illusory connection between his story/concept and the actual product. Even if he was available at other parts of the Resort, I think this would have a negative impact. And if you could just pick through them at a mall Disney Store surrounded by screaming kids, the spell would quickly be broken (I actually already feel this on release days, when the crowds really take away from the experience).

Duffy being a park-based teddy bear souvenir also sets him up so well as a link to the nostalgia of a day at Disney, in the same way that a childhood teddy takes us back to fond memories of youth. This continues, since he is a teddy bear and so iconic, and since TDR is a land of imagination and play - ultimately allowing Duffy to feel like not just a teddy bear, but the icon of "teddy bear" and the icon of Mickey Mouse/Disney itself, connecting to a nostalgia that doesn't even exist - the one created in the American Waterfront, Cape Cod, and the romanticized associations of childhood and Disney in our hearts. Conscious or unconscious, this synthesis is brilliant, and very effective. Break this connection, and destroy his magic, I think. At least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I agree with those who say too much Duffy might be a bad thing. Hello Kitty has been around for so long now, that she's engrained in pop culture. She has had her own cartoons, and has had a voice. But, for the most part, she's been fairly quiet. At least in the US, she's not too overexposed. With Duffy, he's still so new that he hasn't had the time to become part of people's subconscious. I do think that his ties to Mickey did help him get a leg up, but now he's slowly getting away from that on his own. But, to give him a cartoon or a voice, or overexposure so soon, I think it could cause people to not care. Even Stitch doesn't seem to be as popular as Duffy, and Stitch does have a movie, 2 TV series, and an attraction at TDL. So, I personally hope they don't let Duffy leave TDS. Hey, if anything, he's helping get people into the park that might not go as often.
    And the thing about Kitty, too, is that, like Barbie or Mickey, she has SO many iterations that no single unpopular concept could bring her down. Like Mickey, she can be reduced to her most essential design elements so that no one embellishment can define her. Duffy does not have that. Reduced to his simplest elements, it is hard for him to break away from Mickey, as his elements are Mickey marks. Still, you can see that OLC has been trying to establish both the paw and Duffy's two-toned head silhouette as iconic images. If he starts to be more well-known and understood by these markers, and the paw and silhouette start to suggest "Duffy" without suggesting "Mickey" just as quickly, Duffy may well be on his way. NOTE: I already think/feel Duffy when I find Hidden Mickeys. I wonder if Disney execs actually like that?

This show will help. More people will know his story, and that will go a long way towards giving him stronger tethers on hearts than just being cute or being a trendy collectible. Plus it really legitimizes him as a character, since, yeah, at this point, Cape Cod is full-on Duffyland: a shop, a restaurant, an all-day stage show, a mascot character photo-op, and hopefully a freaking POPCORN STAND, plus the Photo Point for the actual doll - all devoted totally to a single character. Not even Mickey Mouse has that kind of exclusive and total devotion in TDL Toontown! I guess Mermaid Lagoon would be the most similar, but frankly, Ariel's got nothing on Duffy.

If they keep carefully pacing his growth, I think someday Duffy could perhaps maybe somehow (can you hear my hesitancy?^^) outgrow American Waterfront and Cape Cod, but I think in order for that to be successful, Gurgi is absolutely right that more time is needed for his charms to trickle out into the streams of collective consciousness. A trend can be created quickly; and die quickly, too. Creating a lasting character, a truly timelessly lovable persona that instantly connects with most or many people, that takes time. I'm not sure if he could ever be worldwide, as I really do believe that so much of what's working for Duffy is his precision placement in the Japanese market; but if he could, I think OLC are on the right track. I hope they don't get overexcited and blow it too soon. All evidence would suggest, reassuringly, that they know exactly what they're doing.^^

I hope they don't get overexcited and blow it too soon. All evidence would suggest, reassuringly, that they know exactly what they're doing.^^
    Let's hope so since it's usually OLC that wants to insert a character into everything in the Parks. The Fab Five plus Chip and Dale once represented each Port of Call, Stitch was themed into "Raging Spirits" merchandising, Mickey was added to the original BraviSEAmo! version, etc. OLC hasn't had a that great of a record of keeping things "in house".

One of the reasons they acquired Japan's Disney Stores is to create smoother marketing and merchandising channels between the Parks and the retail outlets. Many things available in the Parks can now be found in slightly different versions at the Stores.

Like has been mentioned before, things are still fresh. The Duffy boom really within the past two years, so they'll milk things as much as they can, and then expand outside the Parks.

After the show begins next March, look for accessory items to be sold in stores around the country. Oh and count on some Duffy original TV segments and shorts (films) on Disney Channel Japan around that time. :-) Sure, sales will surge again for a while, but he won't be that "exclusive" anymore.
    Last edited by JoeInJpn; 12-06-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    JoeInJpn

• Munchings & Crunchings

After the show begins next March, look for accessory items to be sold in stores around the country. Oh and count on some Duffy original TV segments and shorts (films) on Disney Channel Japan around that time. :-) Sure, sales will surge again for a while, but he won't be that "exclusive" anymore.
    Oh, that disappoints me, actually. With "accessory items", I don't know if that means costumes or not, but it's hard to sell those without letting people buy a plush as well. I'm not sure how they would market that stuff to people who had not been to TDR, or had not seen Duffy before...a costume without a bear? And Duffy TV segments...hmm...animated, or the costumed character? I think these things will help Duffy to just become average...oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

• Just this guy......

I'll try to answer your...question? I'm assuming there's a question in there, cos otherwise it seems like a dismissive and sort of unkind comment.

Give yourself time. Lots of folks come around. And if not, your loss. He is amazing. Really, I think it's his Japanese-y-ness. Ichigo said it best the other day: "He's the Disney Hello Kitty." Her point was one I've made before, too, about his appeal. Duffy is a blank slate. His only essential elements are his design, his fundamental construction of and devotion to love, his message in a bottle, and his independent consciousness that loves adventure and exploration. As far as everything else goes, he is whatever whoever is looking at him wants him to be. He needs you, and yet he's free - so his needing you matters. Like Kitty, this is not an accident in character design principles. Like Kitty, he barely has a mouth in most versions (and does NOT talk!...suddenly I remember to be nervous about this for the show). He is even more helpless than Kitty for holding things - he has no thumbs, or even fingers! He needs you. Mickey doesn't need you; he's a superstar. Minnie, Daisy, Donald, Goofy...even Pluto and the 'Munks - Dolls of them are just dolls, but every Duffy is Duffy, and each Duffy belongs solely and wholly to whomever takes him (or her, for some, though this is not cannon) home. No other Disney character has this appeal, and in the Japanese market where character design is far more pervasive than, say, the US, this is gold.

If you don't get it, you don't get it, but try to keep your posts positive or at least inquisitive in topics about something other people like. Going into a topic about a specific character and writing about how you just don't get why anyone likes him, and nothing but that, contributes nothing to the conversation and might be seen as impolite or downright rude by some.

Just saw that you'd posted what we were talking about here...oops.
    Thanks you for your answer. My question as kind of tongue and cheek because it just seem odd that this toy has taken on a life of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, that disappoints me, actually. With "accessory items", I don't know if that means costumes or not, but it's hard to sell those without letting people buy a plush as well. I'm not sure how they would market that stuff to people who had not been to TDR, or had not seen Duffy before...a costume without a bear? And Duffy TV segments...hmm...animated, or the costumed character? I think these things will help Duffy to just become average...oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
    Gurgi, these would not be accessories FOR Duffy, but OF Duffy or with his image. You know, items like telephone straps, stationery, etc. Similar to what the Parks and Disney Stores sell for the usual characters.

You see, now that they are making a stage show for Duffy, it's going to be promoted outside the Parks. So there will be more demand from people that don't have a chance to visit. Duffy will be introduced to the masses via the animated shorts and "live" segments on Disney Channel and some related goods in the Disney Stores.

While the bear doll itself may not be sold outside TDR in the near future, we'll still be seeing Duffy's face (and merchandise) all over the country.
    JoeInJpn

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Question Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Gurgi, these would not be accessories FOR Duffy, but OF Duffy or with his image. You know, items like telephone straps, stationery, etc. Similar to what the Parks and Disney Stores sell for the usual characters.

You see, now that they are making a stage show for Duffy, it's going to be promoted outside the Parks. So there will be more demand from people that don't have a chance to visit. Duffy will be introduced to the masses via the animated shorts and "live" segments on Disney Channel and some related goods in the Disney Stores.

While the bear doll itself may not be sold outside TDR in the near future, we'll still be seeing Duffy's face (and merchandise) all over the country.
    I hope this part in bold, at least, remains true. Although, honestly, after all the stress of getting the last few costumes, I'm not sure I'd mind if things got so out of hand that some people started to lose interest...maybe even me. Duffy is just totally out of control! Today the sold out PJs were back in Aunt Peg's; it was a madhouse picking them up!

At first I thought this was just you speculating, Joe, but now you're sounding like you've got a source. Is this gospel? In a way, I'm happy. I really do think once they start expanding him, it'll hit BIG for a while, but then start to run its course and take some of the pressure off. At this point, I actually kinda hope so.^^

*I also hope that someone in Japan with HDTV and Disney Channel collects all those videos and puts them online, or that OLC releases a DVD (preferably with English subtitles...pass it along to your "deepthroat," Joe!)

At first I thought this was just you speculating, Joe, but now you're sounding like you've got a source. Is this gospel?
    Hehehe, it's far from gospel. However, it is a summary of discussions I've had on this subject with people who "tend to know" OLC and Disney merchandising well. I mean, we had heard whispers about the new show ever since the successful Duffy Cafe ended its initial run.
    JoeInJpn

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

So what your saying Joe is that there is some plans already in place to expand the Duffy image outside the parks. Clearly OLC see the same potential in the Bear that I do, and I honestly feel the Bear can go the distance here. If anything I see this as a win win situation for DisneySea too, because I am sure many will want to visit the home of Duffy.

• Munchings & Crunchings

*I also hope that someone in Japan with HDTV and Disney Channel collects all those videos and puts them online, or that OLC releases a DVD (preferably with English subtitles...pass it along to your "deepthroat," Joe!)
    Yeah, I want to be able to see them too. I'm very curious how they will handle him, and how he'll be animated. It's kind of like my curiosity about the Japan exclusive Stitch series. I've seen bits of that on Youtube, and I would actually like Disney to bring it stateside.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast