Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    So what your saying Joe is that there is some plans already in place to expand the Duffy image outside the parks. Clearly OLC see the same potential in the Bear that I do, and I honestly feel the Bear can go the distance here. If anything I see this as a win win situation for DisneySea too, because I am sure many will want to visit the home of Duffy.
    Clearly duffy is not only being pushed by OLC, but the actual walt disney company itself. Disney would get a 10 percent royalty on all admissions to the park. They also received a 5 percent royalty on all merchandise and concessions. They want duffy to be huge in japan because they can make a great profit.. I just hope duffy doesnt become like stitch, way to oversatured way to quickly.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The OLC have been in the themepark buisness for over 25 years, and trust me they are not idiots and like Disney are just as greedy when it comes to making a big profit. Disney are not acting alone here and OLC are not being pushed into this either. Don't kid yourself as OLC have much more to gain out of this than the Walt Disney Company.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

The OLC have been in the themepark buisness for over 25 years, and trust me they are not idiots and like Disney are just as greedy when it comes to making a big profit. Disney are not acting alone here and OLC are not being pushed into this either. Don't kid yourself as OLC have much more to gain out of this than the Walt Disney Company.
    I never implied OLC was idiots anywhere in my post. I have alot of respect of what olc does compared to the stateside parks I was just posting the financial implications for the walt disney company in looking at what the agreements are between the two companys , and also wondering if both companies are pushing (and pushing implies plugging , marketing , advertising etc.). this roll out of duffy to japan nationwide.. Since both companies potentially will benefit from the success of duffy with OLC taking the bigger risk of the two companies in this nationwide push and roll out
    Last edited by lighttragic; 12-07-2009 at 03:13 PM.

• Banned User

I never implied OLC was idiots anywhere in my post.
    No you didn't and I apologise if what I wrote implied that you did.

I have alot of respect of what olc does compared to the stateside parks I was just posting the financial implications for the walt disney company in looking at what the agreements are between the two companys , and also wondering if both companies are pushing (and pushing implies plugging , marketing , advertising etc.). this roll out of duffy to japan nationwide.. Since both companies potentially will benefit from the success of duffy with OLC taking the bigger risk of the two companies in this nationwide push and roll out
    I tend to believe its mainly OLC's decision, all Disney can really do is offer advice but its hands are tied when it comes to the day today running of the company. But and I could be wrong but it appears relationships between the two company's are much more friendly now days than during the Eisner era of the company.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

No you didn't and I apologise if what I wrote implied that you did.

I tend to believe its mainly OLC's decision, all Disney can really do is offer advice but its hands are tied when it comes to the day today running of the company. But and I could be wrong but it appears relationships between the two company's are much more friendly now days than during the Eisner era of the company.
    no worries , I agree that the companys do seem friendlier than before, disney has definitely eased up on the restrictions in advertising especially websites. I believe Iger understands the value of the tokyo disney resort in regards to the newer parks in china. since many japanese tourists will flock to these parks

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Question Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    no worries , I agree that the companys do seem friendlier than before, disney has definitely eased up on the restrictions in advertising especially websites. I believe Iger understands the value of the tokyo disney resort in regards to the newer parks in china. since many japanese tourists will flock to these parks
    The relationship may be friendlier; I wouldn't know. I know very little, actually, about how each company operates, and even less about technicalities of their property/profit agreements. I do know a lot of Japanese Disney fans, though, and they go to WDW for its size, Disneyland for its history, and DLP for its location. HKDL has a major PR campaign to undertake if it wants Japanese business, though. It started with a terrible reputation here, and word-of-mouth (gospel in most any market) still keeps nearly all the Disney fans I know from adding it to their list. Two people I know who like (not LOOOVE) Disney just came back from Hong Kong and didn't bother to go there. One said her tour guide actually mentioned being nervous about the park's performance because of the money tied up in local government. I don't know how true this actually is from the HK perspective, but they better really push the new expansion. By the way, all of them have come back saying that they prefer TDL, like so many people on these boards. I wonder if more Japanese language support would change this, but I doubt it. It doesn't seem like that's the issue. Usually, their complaints are about cleanliness, courtesy, and lack of really high quality merchandise that they want.

If Walt Disney Company is backing the Duffy push, I wonder if he really will be reintroduced into the US or global market at some point? Whaddya know, Joe?^^

I have some mixed feelings about this...

On one hand I welcome the change! We find ourselves eating at Cape Cod quite a bit and we watch the show while were there. So anything new is good but, I'm not a very big fan of merchandised based shows... In any case, I'm sure it will be a great show!

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Let's hope so since it's usually OLC that wants to insert a character into everything in the Parks. The Fab Five plus Chip and Dale once represented each Port of Call, Stitch was themed into "Raging Spirits" merchandising, Mickey was added to the original BraviSEAmo! version, etc. OLC hasn't had a that great of a record of keeping things "in house".

One of the reasons they acquired Japan's Disney Stores is to create smoother marketing and merchandising channels between the Parks and the retail outlets. Many things available in the Parks can now be found in slightly different versions at the Stores.

Like has been mentioned before, things are still fresh. The Duffy boom really within the past two years, so they'll milk things as much as they can, and then expand outside the Parks.

After the show begins next March, look for accessory items to be sold in stores around the country. Oh and count on some Duffy original TV segments and shorts (films) on Disney Channel Japan around that time. :-) Sure, sales will surge again for a while, but he won't be that "exclusive" anymore.
    Joe do you know if the shorts will have Duffy talking?

• Banned User

Iger also doesn't see the Resort as a threat, since so few foreigners ever visit the Resort. And out of the ones that do visit, very few even realise its owned and operated by a different company.

I do know a lot of Japanese Disney fans, though, and they go to WDW for its size, Disneyland for its history, and DLP for its location. HKDL has a major PR campaign to undertake if it wants Japanese business, though. It started with a terrible reputation here, and word-of-mouth (gospel in most any market) still keeps nearly all the Disney fans I know from adding it to their list. Two people I know who like (not LOOOVE) Disney just came back from Hong Kong and didn't bother to go there. One said her tour guide actually mentioned being nervous about the park's performance because of the money tied up in local government. I don't know how true this actually is from the HK perspective, but they better really push the new expansion.
    I disagree that Japanese Guest rarely visit Hong Kong Disneyland. Quite possibly the ones you've spoken too havn't but I have seen a number of TDR fans visiting that park when I have visited it in the past. Like in Tokyo Guest enjoy the special events like Halloween and Christmas, and a lot of the parks food is made up of Japanese cuisine. I'm not sure why locals would be concern over its performance as its recieving favourable debt repayments.

By the way, all of them have come back saying that they prefer TDL, like so many people on these boards. I wonder if more Japanese language support would change this, but I doubt it. It doesn't seem like that's the issue. Usually, their complaints are about cleanliness, courtesy, and lack of really high quality merchandise that they want.
    Interesting because we often also make the same comments, but if Guest from Japan are looking for a Disney experience outside of Japan that matches up to the standards found at the TDR, than HKDL actually fits the bill much more than the other Resorts. Merchandise is very much the same standard thats found in Tokyo, with tin sweets and biscuits, while cleanliness is also high. I also found the Cast Members to be very polite and friendly like those found in Tokyo.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Lightbulb Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

I think this really goes in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I don't get this at all: the bear is mute. He has no personality whatsoever except what you project onto his blank little face. How are they going to build two shows around him at Cape-Cod Cookoff?
    One of the other things I like about Duffy is that there is a "get it" factor. He's not - yet - made into a commodity that everyone likes (like the modern neutered Mickey Mouse). I like characters like this. Unfortunately, though, people who don't get him seem to get a little frustrated about his ever growing popularity. It took me a while to personally understand the whole phenomena that is Stitch (especially in Japan, I guess), but it didn't bother me that he is so popular. He's a gross, violent character that doesn't really talk; he's not very cute...to me. I've never seen either of the TV series; just going by the movie. I loved the movie, but it wasn't because of Stitch. I loved the story of family and different ways of loving. In fact, thinking about it now, Stitch and Duffy have about equal amounts of characterization:

Stitch was made in a lab.
    Duffy was made by Minnie (and her friends).

Stitch is fundamentally violent and crass, a loner who loves chaos.
    Duffy is fundamentally loving and cute, a romantic dreamer who loves bringing people together.

Stitch wants to travel to destroy more things.
    Duffy wants to travel to explore and experience more.

Stitch can use guns and computers, and pilot spaceships.
    Duffy can garden and cook, sail, and travel in dreams.

Stitch can express himself and gain abilities by changing his body.
    Duffy can express himself and gain abilities by changing his clothes.

Stitch is number 626 of 628, mass produced in a lab.
    Duffy is unnumbered, mass produced in Minnie's factory, and unique to you.

Stitch's personality is revealed by interaction with others and the world.
    Duffy's personality is revealed by interaction with others and the world.

This is plenty of material for a couple of short shows. For either of these characters, I can imagine easily what they would likely do in a given situation. Both have simple characterization, but I know who they are. Take Stitch: He's a "rebel;" but then not really, since his antisocial behavior is largely not by choice. I like that it is exactly because of his preprogrammed one-dimensional obsession with chaos and destruction that he becomes endearing. I like that his cuteness is not obvious and that it takes some empathy with his very simple personality to care about him. He is a character who is constantly trying to battle his own abrasive personality in order to connect, and Lilo is special in her ability to understand him. He is like a mirror for her own naughtiness.

I think it's the same with Duffy, except that Duffy's cuteness is so obvious that it takes some empathy with his personality to not feel like you're getting a cavity headache from all his sweetness...I guess. Unless you just get immediately bowled over with joy at the sight of him; I loved him instantly. Duffy is what sold me on going to a Disney park in the first place. If I could've bought him somewhere else, I may never have gone to TDR, and that's the truth. So something about Duffy definitely works. For people who love soft cuteness and loving kindness, Duffy is a mirror. Stitch fans like his crazy wildness. Duffy fans like his peaceful sweetness. Duffy has a playful, kinetic streak, too, though; check him out eating the batter or making a mess when he "helps" Minnie and Mickey in the kitchen. And he loves to hide and peek in the park. He's not a trickster, but he is spirited. There's as much to him as there is to Stitch at least. He just doesn't have a movie or a TV show to tell his stories. The Cape Cod shows in March will be the beginning of that.

In truth, all of the "Illustrious 8" are fairly simply defined and flexible, too. All of them can be sweet or moody, though Donald is more likely to have a temper. All of them can make silly mistakes, though Goofy is more likely to. All eight of them can change jobs and characterizations just by changing clothes (though Pluto's usually depends on Mickey). Mickey's a pilot or a pirate or a conductor...Minnie's a seamstress or a princess or a shop clerk...Daisy's a fashion consultant or an entrepreneur or a waitress... In fact, among them, it's the more supporting characters like Chip & Dale or Pluto who are more narrowly defined. This kind of character design - with a character defined by a single base trait and letting everything else morph - is not unique to Duffy; Stitch is similar in this way, too. It seems to be a big part of how superstar characters like Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty, or Barbie retain the freedom they need to anchor not only a franchise, but a company. I see Duffy, despite his Disney Bear origins, as OLC's "Mickey Mouse." He can definitely carry a show.

As far as the solution to Duffy talking, I'm also very curious to see what happens with that. He does actually talk to people in the stories all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a voice. But I hope not.

Oops, almost forgot an important one:
    Duffy wears a bottle around his neck containing a message of love, happiness and luck for his keeper.
    I don't think Stitch really has anything like this (that yellow gun), but I hope it's part of Duffy's shows. I this; it's my favorite charm point. I think every Duffy bear should come with this. It would be great if it was even possible to print out your own messages or something...maybe someday.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Actually, that's one of the things I love about Stitch. He was designed to be pure evil. Well, maybe not evil, but certainly destructive. There was never any intention of giving him any empathy or love. It was the catalyst of Lilo that gave Stitch that. So, yeah, he actually has to work really hard to overcome his basic instincts and be good. That's his endearing quality, that he tries really hard to be good, but most of the time it comes out in misguided ways. The problem is that Disney got lazy with his characterization, especially in the parks. They've focused mostly on his gross habits and naughtiness. He's definitely more one-dimension in the Disney parks. It's kind of like what happened with Winnie the Pooh. In the original shorts, Pooh is very cute and endearing. He tries hard to please everyone and do the right thing, but he's just not that bright, and usually gets confused or messes things up. He turned into an extremely bland marketing tool from the 1990's onward, and has lost a lot of that original charm. Hopefully the new Pooh movie being made by Feature Animation will bring that back.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Actually, that's one of the things I love about Stitch. He was designed to be pure evil. Well, maybe not evil, but certainly destructive. There was never any intention of giving him any empathy or love. It was the catalyst of Lilo that gave Stitch that. So, yeah, he actually has to work really hard to overcome his basic instincts and be good. That's his endearing quality, that he tries really hard to be good, but most of the time it comes out in misguided ways. The problem is that Disney got lazy with his characterization, especially in the parks. They've focused mostly on his gross habits and naughtiness. He's definitely more one-dimension in the Disney parks. It's kind of like what happened with Winnie the Pooh. In the original shorts, Pooh is very cute and endearing. He tries hard to please everyone and do the right thing, but he's just not that bright, and usually gets confused or messes things up. He turned into an extremely bland marketing tool from the 1990's onward, and has lost a lot of that original charm. Hopefully the new Pooh movie being made by Feature Animation will bring that back.
    Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I've never thought of any Disney characters as particularly "complex," excluding Pixar. Especially the animal characters - they're just likable. None of them are all that deep. Even in the midst of the pointless pseudo-complexity of Kingdom Hearts, Donald and Goofy are still pretty much cut-outs. I KH.^^

I don't really think Disney characters need a whole lot. Part of what people like about Disney is that it's easy and simple, escapist. I'm pretty sure the Duffy show won't change the world, but I'm fairly confident it will be as cute and entertaining as Boat Builders was. Honestly, I'd be glad for something new even if it wasn't Duffy-related; it was time.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I've never thought of any Disney characters as particularly "complex," excluding Pixar. Especially the animal characters - they're just likable. None of them are all that deep. Even in the midst of the pointless pseudo-complexity of Kingdom Hearts, Donald and Goofy are still pretty much cut-outs. I KH.^^

I don't really think Disney characters need a whole lot. Part of what people like about Disney is that it's easy and simple, escapist. I'm pretty sure the Duffy show won't change the world, but I'm fairly confident it will be as cute and entertaining as Boat Builders was. Honestly, I'd be glad for something new even if it wasn't Duffy-related; it was time.
    I agree with you, that most Disney characters are not all that complex. Animated, of course. There are plenty of live-action characters that are, but that's beside the point. I can't really think of a truly "complex" animated character, even Pixar's.

The Duffy show should be cute, by TDR standards. Speaking of complex, I'm sure this show will not be, since it's got to run in an allotted short time, and reset itself for the next one. Duffy is introduced, does some cute things, and it's done, LOL!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I agree with you, that most Disney characters are not all that complex. Animated, of course. There are plenty of live-action characters that are, but that's beside the point. I can't really think of a truly "complex" animated character, even Pixar's.
    I dunno...Nemo's dad, Jessie, the entire family in The Incredibles, Remy and his father, Linguini and Colette...and all the Pixar antagonists, pretty much. For me, they have layers of depth and motivation that even Disney princesses and heroes don't usually have, much less the animal characters. And, personally, I wouldn't really like this to change. I like both.

The Duffy show should be cute, by TDR standards. Speaking of complex, I'm sure this show will not be, since it's got to run in an allotted short time, and reset itself for the next one. Duffy is introduced, does some cute things, and it's done, LOL!
    Yeah, that's true. I have no expectations, but I'm still excited.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

I am still going to miss Donalds Boat builders those shows certainily had a lot of charm....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast