Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Talking 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Looks like Ichigopara was right! MY FRIEND DUFFY will be replacing Donald's Boat Builders (closing 1/11/2010) from 3/20/2010! I think it's a fairly safe assumption that the new Duffy costume on 3/19 will be for this show. Let's just hope they make enough of it to keep stock in stores for at least a week. The recent pajama costume sold out in TWO DAYS! Duffy madness is everywhere now! He's well beyond little kids, office ladies, and otaku. Most park attendees "get" (and ¥get$) Duffy now, and I am so happy! He is a major part of the park and Japan Disney community/mythology. There will be two versions of his show, and it will include both Mice and both Ducks. Duffy has officially made it into bonafide Disneydom! "That sure is one special teddy bear!"

...but, oh, the rabid fans and crowds...I love him, but the craziness...it will be pure, unadulterated CRAZYness...^^

• Loves Mickey!

Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

OMG DuffyDad!! Of course there will be a Duffy special set menu too I'm sure! So my two questions would be will there be a certain amount you have to spend to get in and will they limit your time there? The lines will be massive! Can't wait until more info is available!!

• Just this guy......

Ok Duffy is cute, but I just do not get the craziness about the bear.

• Adventures with Duffy

So will it be a show? Meet and Greet? Or both? I never made it to see Donald's Boat Builders.

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    So will it be a show? Meet and Greet? Or both? I never made it to see Donald's Boat Builders.
    Donald's Boat Builders is a show housed at the Cape Cod Cookoff. It's really neat because for the price of something small like fries you get to see a show with Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Chip & Dale. The stage was pretty complex too! Of course if you want your child to eat maybe it's not so good because they become mesmerized ha ha!

Here are some videos
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCBnnZUj3n4"]part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pybXP3plJEI&feature=related"]part 2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YsVDCbpF3U&feature=related"]part 3[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30WgVERIYSE&feature=related"]part 4[/ame]

I wonder if OLC even knows. My theory is that Duffy is like Hello Kitty. He is this blank slate character that can be anything you want him to be and he's super cute. Plus everyone loves teddy bears!

This would be the PERFECT show for the lottery. Bwahahahah!
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Donalds boat builders would rotate a set of shows , I want to say 3 maybe 4 shows on a pretty continual basis , I wonder if this will be the same with Duffy. I also agree with the above comments since duffy is madness in japan , will they turn this restruant into a major time limit, or a larger coast maybe like sailing day buffet?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Question Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I'll try to answer your...question? I'm assuming there's a question in there, cos otherwise it seems like a dismissive and sort of unkind comment.

Give yourself time. Lots of folks come around. And if not, your loss. He is amazing. Really, I think it's his Japanese-y-ness. Ichigo said it best the other day: "He's the Disney Hello Kitty." Her point was one I've made before, too, about his appeal. Duffy is a blank slate. His only essential elements are his design, his fundamental construction of and devotion to love, his message in a bottle, and his independent consciousness that loves adventure and exploration. As far as everything else goes, he is whatever whoever is looking at him wants him to be. He needs you, and yet he's free - so his needing you matters. Like Kitty, this is not an accident in character design principles. Like Kitty, he barely has a mouth in most versions (and does NOT talk!...suddenly I remember to be nervous about this for the show). He is even more helpless than Kitty for holding things - he has no thumbs, or even fingers! He needs you. Mickey doesn't need you; he's a superstar. Minnie, Daisy, Donald, Goofy...even Pluto and the 'Munks - Dolls of them are just dolls, but every Duffy is Duffy, and each Duffy belongs solely and wholly to whomever takes him (or her, for some, though this is not cannon) home. No other Disney character has this appeal, and in the Japanese market where character design is far more pervasive than, say, the US, this is gold.

If you don't get it, you don't get it, but try to keep your posts positive or at least inquisitive in topics about something other people like. Going into a topic about a specific character and writing about how you just don't get why anyone likes him, and nothing but that, contributes nothing to the conversation and might be seen as impolite or downright rude by some.

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    My theory is that Duffy is like Hello Kitty. He is this blank slate character that can be anything you want him to be and he's super cute. Plus everyone loves teddy bears!
    Just saw that you'd posted what we were talking about here...oops.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-02-2009 at 09:28 AM.

• i heart plunging v-necks

There's going to be monstrous lines for this one. Good thing I was able to catch 3 rotations of Donald's Boat Builders before Duffy takes over.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Interesting. If what Joe said about the show is right, Duffy should remain silent. Also, from what he described, the boat set will probably be re purposed. The only downside to this show will be the craziness, and the merchandise...too much money, LOL!

I do agree that Duffy is kind of like Hello Kitty. I hadn't thought of that before, but I can see it. Hello Kitty is meant to be a little girl, who is somewhat helpless. Well...maybe not totally helpless, because they have put her in a lot of situations where she's in charge, or has had different "careers". Still, most of that is just costume. Her design is purposefully "childlike". There is a specific reason she doesn't have a mouth. It instills a sense of vulnerability in her, and that she needs guidance from her "owner". Duffy is similar, now that I think about it too. He's been shown to do things on his own too, like running a cafe, but even there, he's needed help. He was made with the specific purpose of companionship. He has no voice, and he is seen as being "childlike" as Kitty is. It's like he's a baby, learning everything from scratch. That, along with his cuteness, just makes people latch onto him and create their own "story" for him. He really is a blank slate. Most teddy bears are also blank slates, but Duffy has been given a specific backstory, and mythology, which helps greatly. It doesn't hurt that Japan's obsession with "cute" pushes him over the edge.

• You have much to learn...

Oh well, there goes this quiet little section of the theme park.

I guess the days of stopping for a quick burger are going to be over soon at the cookout.

I was surprised last month on my last day at TDS there was a line waiting to get in for lunch & then another to sit down-it was the first time I had ever seen this. I guess this is going to be a common occurrance come March next year.

Maybe they can finally come out with Duffy popcorn bucket now to disperse the long lines a little & shift them towards the popcorn cart.

I'm surprised it took the OLC so long to have a show or attraction based on Duffy.

I'm groaning now, but am sure I'll be waiting on line next year.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: 「My Friend Duffy」 SHOW coming March 2010!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Well...maybe not totally helpless, because they have put her in a lot of situations where she's in charge, or has had different "careers". Still, most of that is just costume.
    This is just like Duffy, too, right? I've said it many times, but what works about Duffy is that although the Disney Bear was born at Disney, everything about Duffy is 100% Japanese. I wonder, now, if Disney would ever try to import Duffy back to America? Could the concept ever really work in the US, though? I think most Americans still wouldn't really get it, and the ones who do are usually more into Japanese animation than Disney... I doubt he could have this same success Stateside no matter what they did. Maybe in Hong Kong, though... Still, I can't imagine Disney Parks execs in the States aren't noticing the phenomenon and wondering how to cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Maybe they can finally come out with Duffy popcorn bucket now to disperse the long lines a little & shift them towards the popcorn cart.
    We hope! See you in line!^^

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Oh well, there goes this quiet little section of the theme park.

I guess the days of stopping for a quick burger are going to be over soon at the cookout.

I was surprised last month on my last day at TDS there was a line waiting to get in for lunch & then another to sit down-it was the first time I had ever seen this. I guess this is going to be a common occurrance come March next year.

I'm surprised it took the OLC so long to have a show or attraction based on Duffy.

I'm groaning now, but am sure I'll be waiting on line next year.
    Yeah, I think Cape Cod might not be so sleepy after this. Maybe it's good they didn't put Midway Mania here too. It's always nice to have quiet spaces in Disney parks. I hope that can still be the case, even with Duffy having a show of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    This is just like Duffy, too, right? I've said it many times, but what works about Duffy is that although the Disney Bear was born at Disney, everything about Duffy is 100% Japanese. I wonder, now, if Disney would ever try to import Duffy back to America? Could the concept ever really work in the US, though? I think most Americans still wouldn't really get it, and the ones who do are usually more into Japanese animation than Disney... I doubt he could have this same success Stateside no matter what they did. Maybe in Hong Kong, though... Still, I can't imagine Disney Parks execs in the States aren't noticing the phenomenon and wondering how to cash in.
    I don't know if I would say 100% Japanese though. His backstory is completely tied to Cape Cod, and it's distinct American look. I think his nature and personality is 100% Japanese, but he really is tied heavily to that "New England" vibe. It works great for him because it's so charming. Honestly though, if TDS were built here in America, and Duffy debuted at Cape Cod there, I think his story would be just as strong. Whether or not he actually became popular in the US if he had an identical story to the one at TDS I don't know. I think Americans are not as attached to cute things like the Japanese are. There are other factors too.

I wondered recently if Disney would try to re-introduce Duffy, (with that name) after seeing his popularity in Japan. I mean they have put out the smaller versions lately. After seeing how much even those sell for to Japanese buyers, I can see American Disney execs getting greedy again. Still, I think the character would be doomed to fail (again) if there were not a more specific focus like Duffy has. The "Disney Bear" story is just too generic.

Also, even if he had such a story, I don't think Americans care as much. Sure, there are a few, but still. Most American adults would not really get "into" Duffy. They might buy them as a novelty, or for their kids, grandkids, etc. That's what happened with the Disney Bear. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't think US Disney fans would have the patience for the "Duffy" version of the Disney Bear. I've never seen fans here go as crazy for one character like they do in Japan.

But...now that I'm thinking about it, there is one Disney character that I can think of that did/does have a US following (not as hardcore as Duffy though). Figment the dragon! He was EPCOT's exclusive character, since they wanted to keep Mickey & the gang out in the early days. People loved him, and proved so when they re-did his signature attraction and removed him entirely. Fans were upset, and complaints at guest relations were piling up. So, they re-did the ride again, and added Figment back in. He also has his own line of merchandise that sells fairly well, and has had a walkaround character.

So, I guess it is possible to get a character created in the parks to be loved by people. But, it takes more than just a plush. Figment, the Country Bears, and even the pirates and ghosts in POTC and HM all had major attractions that introduced them to the world. So, for Duffy to be re-introduced here, I think he might need more than a new backstory.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now, so I'll stop before I start repeating myself, or typing random stupid thoughts.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I cannot wait till I go in April so I can finally have my very own Duffy!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Resident of the Caldera

It's too soon to dump Donald's Boat Builders. I am mystified about the carrying-on about a silent bear that has no backstory and no personality.

This just stinks all around because it takes a restaurant out of the loop: the lines will be nutty and I bet you'll see an online reservation system soon ala what they've done to both the Diamond Horseshoe and Tahitian Terrace. And that stinks because if you can't read Japanese you can't make a reservation, which basically excludes anyone but the Japanese (just like Funderful Disney).

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast