Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

I don't mean that the new character should not look anything like Duffy. In fact, I think to be tied to him, it should have some resemblance...just not Duffy with a bow, you know what I mean? It could be another shade of brown with Mickey marks as well, or another natural color that compliments Duffy in some way. I wonder if it's a girl, they would just make her pink? That's just lazy though, and I hope they thought about it more creatively than I am right now.

Janell, I am willing to bet there will be more Sweet Duffy merchandise that we have yet to see. More than even last year. Probably lots of cel straps, keychains, cookies, candy, towels, blankets, pillows, etc. We are getting just a hint of it right now, LOL! Not to mention the "new friend" and all the merch tied to that.

Speaking of the friend again. A thought occurred to me about it. It will be the first time that OLC has created an entire character on their own that fits into a Disney universe, right? I mean Camp Nepos had no ties to any of the Disney characters. What about Rocky, Chandu, and Shiriki Utundu? Did OLC create those independently or did Disney have a hand? Because this new character has direct links to Mickey and the gang where the others don't, and has been developed solely by OLC.

Also, Duffy is their first wildly successful attempt at doing their own thing. Sure, he was created by Disney first, but maybe OLC is trying to wean him away and make him their own. This new character could be part of that...and at some point Duffy will establish himself as a separate character from the Disney crew and OLC could develop a whole cast of friends for him and create their own successful franchise. Then, they could have that solo project they've wanted for a while and might be able to open a third theme park with Duffy & friends elsewhere in Japan.

I know that might be a stretch, but I just thought maybe that was what OLC was trying to do...finally have something of their own without Disney's direct influence...and have it be successful.

• Adventures with Duffy

gurgi, as I was reading your post and before you said anything about a new park. Thats what I was thinking. lol A park for Duffy. I think it would be cool if they had enough to do a whole park and if its so original like TDS. Do they have land that they are not doing anything with? I can see Duffy through the season. A land/port/what ever all done up with Sweet Duffy, then there is spring Duffy, Halloween Duffy and then Christmas Duffy. And what ever else they may have too. I like the seasons park, because then no matter when a guest goes, they can see it all. Im not sure what all(lets go with) ports would have in them. But take Sweet Duffy, it would have his soda fountain, with yummy chocolates and pastries, I see Duffy Waffles with fruit on top oh and maybe chocolate. Of course millions of things to buy. Bring your paid off credit card. lol

The rides might be a tough one. Does Duffy do roller coasters? Not really sure. Of course there is water rides, maybe how you get around the park is by boat. No walking to each land, all boats. That would be interesting if they could do that. Maybe there is a safety factor there that wont work.

Oh I can see Duffy Department Store. Housing all his clothes. And they could do a mix and match collection too. Way better then build a bear. Plus have the sets. This is why you need a payed off credit card. lol

Oh and Duffy would need his own flavored popcorn too. Oh gee this could be so much fun to develop. I now want to move there and work on the development team.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I don't mean that the new character should not look anything like Duffy. In fact, I think to be tied to him, it should have some resemblance...just not Duffy with a bow, you know what I mean? It could be another shade of brown with Mickey marks as well, or another natural color that compliments Duffy in some way. I wonder if it's a girl, they would just make her pink? That's just lazy though, and I hope they thought about it more creatively than I am right now.

Janell, I am willing to bet there will be more Sweet Duffy merchandise that we have yet to see. More than even last year. Probably lots of cel straps, keychains, cookies, candy, towels, blankets, pillows, etc. We are getting just a hint of it right now, LOL! Not to mention the "new friend" and all the merch tied to that.

Speaking of the friend again. A thought occurred to me about it. It will be the first time that OLC has created an entire character on their own that fits into a Disney universe, right? I mean Camp Nepos had no ties to any of the Disney characters. What about Rocky, Chandu, and Shiriki Utundu? Did OLC create those independently or did Disney have a hand? Because this new character has direct links to Mickey and the gang where the others don't, and has been developed solely by OLC.

Also, Duffy is their first wildly successful attempt at doing their own thing. Sure, he was created by Disney first, but maybe OLC is trying to wean him away and make him their own. This new character could be part of that...and at some point Duffy will establish himself as a separate character from the Disney crew and OLC could develop a whole cast of friends for him and create their own successful franchise. Then, they could have that solo project they've wanted for a while and might be able to open a third theme park with Duffy & friends elsewhere in Japan.

I know that might be a stretch, but I just thought maybe that was what OLC was trying to do...finally have something of their own without Disney's direct influence...and have it be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    gurgi, as I was reading your post and before you said anything about a new park. Thats what I was thinking. lol A park for Duffy. I think it would be cool if they had enough to do a whole park and if its so original like TDS. Do they have land that they are not doing anything with? I can see Duffy through the season. A land/port/what ever all done up with Sweet Duffy, then there is spring Duffy, Halloween Duffy and then Christmas Duffy. And what ever else they may have too. I like the seasons park, because then no matter when a guest goes, they can see it all. Im not sure what all(lets go with) ports would have in them. But take Sweet Duffy, it would have his soda fountain, with yummy chocolates and pastries, I see Duffy Waffles with fruit on top oh and maybe chocolate. Of course millions of things to buy. Bring your paid off credit card. lol

The rides might be a tough one. Does Duffy do roller coasters? Not really sure. Of course there is water rides, maybe how you get around the park is by boat. No walking to each land, all boats. That would be interesting if they could do that. Maybe there is a safety factor there that wont work.

Oh I can see Duffy Department Store. Housing all his clothes. And they could do a mix and match collection too. Way better then build a bear. Plus have the sets. This is why you need a payed off credit card. lol

Oh and Duffy would need his own flavored popcorn too. Oh gee this could be so much fun to develop. I now want to move there and work on the development team.
    Hm...this is all very interesting, guys. And making me more open to the new friend, no matter what it's like.^^ Since Christmas 2008, I have thought a great new storybook/campaign would be something like "誰でものダッフィーはダッフィーだよ!" (Daredemo No Duffy wa Duffy da yo! - Everyone's Duffy is Duffy!). It would be about how all Duffys come from Minnie's factory, all have the message in a bottle and the power to move through dreams and travel through the worlds of imagination. But beyond that, every Duffy is unique. And yet, every Duffy is Duffy; no one of them is more Duffy than any other.

What I'd like to see now instead of one friend is lots of friends. That way, the original is always still the original and none of the others eclipses him. Yet all of the others are equal to him. This would be great, too, if it brought back all the rainbow-colored versions, but at TDS size and quality. I'd really like that! Judging by prices on the secondary market, a lot of people would.

Unless it's something like this, I agree that a simple pink repaint with eyelashes would be "lazy," but if it was something like this, I think it could be really fun. By the way, Gurgi, are we 100% sure that this character was developed in-house at OLC? I dunno... It will surely belong to Disney, as all Duffy goods are marked with Disney copyrights, not OLC. I'm not sure how this character came about, if Disney had more involvement than just approval. I only just remembered that one of my friends, whose husband works for Disney, mentioned to me casually last year that a girlfriend for Duffy was in the works. She likes Duffy, but I don't think she's "hardcore," so I thought she was just thinking of Cuddly Bear. Now, though, I imagine it's this new character, and that it will be a female version. I'm trying to be optimistic about it.^^ I'll ask her more about the development process, too, next time I see her.

I really don't understand how Duffy's rights work. I know the development of promotional goods, costumes, and even artwork (notice how different Duffy illustrations are from the style of the Disney Bear) is all done by OLC, simply given a stamp of approval from Disney Parks. At least, that's how it's been explained to me by more than one person "in the know." Yet, all merchandise is marked very clearly as belonging to "Disney." And there is no mention of OLC on anything. This makes me think using Duffy as a jumping off point for their own development might be impossible. Unless, ironically, they end up licensing the rights to their own creative work. But that's the whole "trap" they're trying to get out of, right?

Ichigopara has said half-jokingly many times that a Duffy theme park could be viable. I always laughed because I just couldn't imagine it. But if it was housed by lots of Duffys of many color schemes and designs, and all of them were equally Duffy, a picture starts to form. A replica of the Duffy factory would be so much fun - where you could mix and match face/paw/emblem colors with different fur, choose eye and nose colors, maybe even have the option of articulation (like my Duffy!^^), and stuff your own original bear! Like Build-A-Bear, but with an extra level of customization that makes it worthy of a theme park!

And one thing I could never really imagine was themed lands. But, Janell, I think you nailed it! How many times in my life have I wished I could walk through autumn leaves, or see a Halloween haunted house, or a Christmas fantasy filled with snow, the blossoming of spring, or the festival spirit of summer...but at a different time of year!? This happens to me a lot, actually. One of the best things about TDR is its commitment to strong seasonal overlays, but imagine if you could experience any season at any time of the year!

And then I thought, "Oh, but wouldn't that make Christmas and Halloween less special?" Au contraire, the Seasons of Duffy park would still have seasonal overlays - in all the different areas! A Halloween/festival-style/blossoms-for-snow/sun and surf Christmas (like the southern hemisphere actually has) around November/December... Haunted festival/Christmas/spring-time (harder) around September/October... Love in all the lands from January to March... You get the idea. Duffy or not, I think this kind of park, if done by OLC, would be amazing! Their sense of the seasonal and changing merchandising are absolutely their strengths; a concept like this plays exactly to what they do so well. I would buy the Annual Passport every year. A place where you can experience the beauty of autumn leaves, winter snow, spring blossoms, or summer breeze (okay, we can't really control the weather, but the fun, free spirit of summer) every day, and sometimes themed to merge with another season... Gosh, for me, there is no more "dreamland" than that! I kinda wish that I hadn't thought of this, because it will be all I can think about now for a while... Nice one, Janell!

• Felice Natale!

Lightbulb Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    And just to keep this thread from turning into total wild speculation, here are better quality photos of that magazine with the Sweet Duffy merchandise, plus the rest of the article:

It's from a magazine called TOKYO★1週間 (TOKYO1WEEK, a biweekly magazine about Tokyo events, restaurants, tv and film news. The cool thing is that it's not even technically a "Disney" magazine, although I think Disney NAVI is actually a regular feature.

Here's Matsuyama Kenichi on the cover...

And if you look at the top right-hand corner...in big, bold, red lettering...the announcement of "DUFFY FEVER!!!"^^

Though they do regularly feature Disney, I think it's still very significant to see Duffy singled out in this way. OLC clearly does have even bigger plans for him this year, and it all seems to be starting with Sweet Duffy 2010. It feels like last year was the set-up, and this year is the official launch into superstardom. Despite my apprehension, I can't help being excited.

The first two pages, "What's Duffy?" serve as introduction and feature a lot of Q&A. I'll do my best to translate some, but a lot of this will be guessing:

Q1. When was Duffy's debut?
    A 2004. (Specifically Christmas, I think, but it doesn't say.^^)

Q2. Where does the name "Duffy" come from?
    A As a gift from Minnie, Mickey put him in his duffel bag for travel.

Q3. I heard Duffy is a plush doll; is that true?
    A Yes. And he has many costumes you can get separately!

Q4. Where can I get my own Duffy stuff?
    A Aunt Peg's Village Store and McDuck's Department Store in TDS.

Q5. What sizes are there?
    A 30cm ¥3800, 45cm ¥10,000, 65cm ¥50,000. 30cm is the standard for costumes.
    Plus there are small sizes, like strap accessories.

Q6. Where can I meet Duffy at Tokyo DisneySEA?
    A He has daily greetings, and will soon have his own show!! All in Cape Cod.
    The Disney Snap Photo service is ¥1500 and includes a special frame!

Q7. Where can I get Duffy Souvenir Medallions?
    A At Aunt Peg's Village Store in Cape Cod.

Q8. What's the deal with Aunt Peg and Duffy?
    A Aunt Peg's Village Store is the main distributor of Duffy goods.
    *Not at all confident about this one.

Q9. Do other Disney Resorts have Duffy?
    A Other resorts have a "Disney Bear." Duffy is TDS's exclusive "Disney Bear."
    (What if the new friend is TDL's Disney Bear?^^)

Q10. Where can costumes be purchased?
    A At Aunt Peg's. The next new one releases 3/19!

Q11. Can I buy Duffy goods at Disneyland or Bon Voyage?
    A No, but there are two places to shop in Tokyo DisneySEA.
    *again, not sure about this...

Q12. Does Duffy have some kind of storybook?
    A Yes, there's a big one you can buy. And every plush comes with a mini-book.
    *NOTE: I know this translation is off. Also, by the way, the mini-book doesn't include the factory or backstory, so if you never read the longer storybook, Duffy still really belongs to Mickey.

Q13. This all sounds great; where can I get more information and updates?
    A Check the official website for Duffy, the Disney bear.

Q14. I heard he has Mickey Marks; is that right?
    A You heard right! On the face, on the feet, and on the fanny!

Whew...that was haRRRd...^^

The next two double-page spreads show Duffys (including pouch versions) with their owners - and some of them are guys! Yes...I wish I'd been one of them, too. The first spread is "BOYS Costumes," while the second one is "GIRLS Costumes." (Hmm...so maybe we're not getting a girlfriend Duffy after all...???) I think it's cool that there's a mix of official costumes, fan-made costumes, clothing from other manufacturers, and something as simple as a scarf. This shows that OLC is open to all the different ways that fans contribute to the Duffy phenomenon. If they were just interested in money, they could have absolutely chosen to showcase only official costumes. In fact, not only is there no section that showcases all of the official costume releases; most of the costumes that are featured are NOT OLC products. The way this is done renews my optimism that those of us worried about the way this aggressive marketing thing is gonna play out may actually have nothing to fear. OLC seems very committed to the "fan candy" (can't say "service" cos it's not "sexy"^^) aspect of the Duffy boom. This might just be really, really fun!

The first spread also highlights the Duffy Photo Points around TDS, while the second spread has what looks like a really interesting survey observing people's reactions and opinions about Duffy. This does look cool, but it's beyond my level, and I'm not translating anything else today:

And, finally, what you've all been waiting for...

...This page shows the 2010 Sweet Duffy costume (which is literally a wish granted for me^^)...

Plus the new plate/mug set, and...wait for it...THE DUFFY POPCORN BUCKET that looks like a picnic basket!

Duffy or not, this is absolutely my favorite popcorn bucket design ever!! I it! The whole thing - including the blue bow and Mickey-ear anchor closure - looks to be made of bright molded plastic. It is classic and stylish; cute and charming without being too childish. I wonder how long they'll keep this design? I also wonder if there will be a new flavor, too? I hope!^^ What could it be? It needs to be "Cape Cod." But sweet, not seafood... Apple Pie?

It's very expensive, though. If I remember correctly, popcorn buckets run an average of ¥1200. This baby costs ¥2100(!) for the normal version, and ¥3200 for some kind of special "with-strap" version. I assume it's bigger than typical popcorn buckets and that its shoulder strap will be pretty darn fantabulous to justify an additional twelve bucks!

So, there ya go! "Duffy Fever" is officially poised to take over Tokyo, the nation, and the world. No longer should Duffy fans keep clandestine cravings for cuddly cute. We can now proudly announce to all the latecomers that "we saw him first!"...and we always saw his potential.^^

*Ichigopara would be so disappointed.^^ I forgot to mention in the translations that the Sweet Duffy cup comes with strawberry pudding and chocolate mousse. The plate comes with a strawberry roll cake. And that cookie is maple.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-10-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Forgot the food!^^

• Loves Mickey!

Omg! That bucket is expensive! The strap had better have some form of Duffy plush on it lol!! Even for 3200 yen I want it haha! (Already got the premission from hubby DuffyDad!!!!) I really hope you are right and they have something like an apple pie flavor! Any new flavor would be appreciated though! Good find btw DuffyDad I'm sending my husband to pick up the magazine! How freaky is it to have Duffy's name in the headline like that?! Ok I'm really looking forward to meeting you this month even more we have to discuss asap!!

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    Omg! That bucket is expensive! The strap had better have some form of Duffy plush on it lol!! Even for 3200 yen I want it haha!...
    Right? The strap alone is the price of a regular popcorn bucket, filled up with popcorn. I'm really curious what that's gonna be like. My new favorite flavor would be MOLASSES! That just feels so "Cape Cod" and also so "Duffy" to me; plus the color's about right. Apple Pie works, too, with Duffy's Americana, but I think Molasses would be more original, so I actually like it better...not that it matters what I think. I totally forgot about Vermont Maple Syrup, so that kinda works, too, since it's New England. But after a little research, it turns out that THE Cape Cod thing is Cranberries. I totally didn't know that. That would be very original, and the most appropriate. Who knows? I do hope they make a new flavor, though!

My guess is that it is a lot bigger than the normal buckets, and that the intention is that it could also be used to carry Duffy around in. There's no reference for scale, but it looks like that's possible, and it would be a smart move. It's an expensive popcorn bucket, but it's a lot cheaper than the ¥6000 tote bags.

And, yeah, that headline on the cover is awesome!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-10-2010 at 05:13 AM.

• Loves Mickey!

Ooh cranberry would be yummy!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, thanks for the detective work, DuffyDad, and the translation! Interesting development, I have to say. It is a sign that Duffy is spreading outside of TDR and they are trying to get him exposed to the masses. I mean why have a "who is Duffy?" thing in a mainstream, not specifically Disney magazine? It looks like Duffy is getting a marketing push in a big way this year.

I do like how they showed a little bit of all of the aspects of Duffy and didn't just focus on the official. It's a sign that maybe it's not just about buying stuff, but about the fans and what they do with Duffy that is part of the marketing as well. You know if this were Disney in the states, it would only be about the things you could buy for Duffy, and nothing about what fans create.

As for the original character, yeah, I can't be 100% certain that it's been developed only by OLC. I just guessed. You could be right that it's basically the alternate colored Duffies. However, if it is something entirely new, then I don't know what kind of arrangement OLC has with Disney about it. DuffyDad, you're right though, that everything is branded "Disney" regardless. I don't know if OLC could get that character out from under Disney. There would have to be some kind of arrangement, but then I don't know that Disney would let OLC make money hand-over-fist on Duffy & friend without wanting a cut.

I know I've been thinking about this way too much, but I looked at the image of the storybook page where Minnie is sewing the new friend. I noticed that you can see a tip of the ear, and it looks like it's white, or at least a very light brown color. So, I would guess that it at this point, it's not one of the pastel colored Disney Bears. DuffyDad, you did bring up a good idea that maybe it's a bear for TDL. That could be interesting, and then that park would have it's own Duffy or whatever it's called.

The idea of a Duffy park is interesting too. And, although OLC still might have to pay Disney royalties, maybe that's not so bad. OLC seems to want to do something on theirn own, which, it would be really. They would probably have to get Disney approval if they still have the Disney characters, or the Mickey marks, but, at least the design and execution would be all OLC. This could be a test, to see if they really can do it all by themselves and have it be as successful as the Disney brand has been.

The "Duffy through the Seasons" idea is an interesting one, and not entirely out of the realm of possibility. It reminded me of a theme park here in the United States called "Holiday World".

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana | Holiday World

It's got themed "lands" for the seasons, like Christmas, Halloween, 4th of July, and Thanksgiving. So, to have a park themed to seasons, only with Duffy, and with Disney/OLC design, that could be pretty amazing. Especially with not so much, specific holidays, but the seasons. Of course Fall would have Halloween, and Winter would have Christmas, but they could be more generic than that, with themes for snow, fall colors, spring blossoms, etc. And, the cuteness factor with Duffy would be off the charts. I mean, really, a whole park with the Duffy charm?

I still don't think that such a one character driven park or concept would go over that well here in the US, I'm sure Japan would eat it up. I mean, there's a Sanrio theme park that seems to be popular enough.

This really seems like it will be the year Duffy explodes outside of TDS. I can't say I was there from the start, but it is fun to have gotten in before all this started. My only regret is missing out on last year's Sweet Duffy. I can live with not having all of the older costumes, but for some reason I really wish I had gotten that one costume. Oh well. We'll see where this new initiative to get Duffy more exposure will take us!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, and a cranberry flavored popcorn? Yum!!! Even Apple Pie, or Maple sound delicious! That popcorn bucket is cute, now that I can see it in more detail (thanks, Duffydad!). I notice that the bow is not actually fabric (which I thought it was from the smaller pic). I wondered how they would keep the bow fresh with such a re-usable container. Now I see that the bow is also molded plastic, and it's still cute. But, for the price, that strap better be super cute and worth the extra money!

• Resident of the Caldera

I don't get this at all: the bear is mute. He has no personality whatsoever except what you project onto his blank little face. How are they going to build two shows around him at Cape-Cod Cookoff?

• Felice Natale!

I just found this, for trivia's sake:

In Canada, cranberries are often referred to by their Amerindian name, atoca. Cranberries are also known as bounceberries, because they literally bounce if dropped when fresh and bearberry, since bears also love them.

This person is wrong; bearberry is a different plant, but it is often confused with cranberry and vice-versa. Bearberry is even sometimes called "hog cranberry," "upland" or "mountain cranberry." Both are frequently blended together in herbal remedies, too.

PS:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I don't get this at all: the bear is mute. He has no personality whatsoever except what you project onto his blank little face. How are they going to build two shows around him at Cape-Cod Cookoff?
    Answered here.

• Loves Mickey!

My husband found the magazine after going to 3 different conbini's! Did you see the deco nails?? The cookie in the magazine is maple flavored which is themost likely flavor for the popcorn don't you think? We went to the last Boat Builders today and they started removing the props from the stage already after the last show. I wonder what the stage and area will look like for the My Friend Duffy show.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    My husband found the magazine after going to 3 different conbini's! Did you see the deco nails?? The cookie in the magazine is maple flavored which is themost likely flavor for the popcorn don't you think?...

You mean these? Yeah. Hardcore.^^ I do think maple is the most likely flavor, although now I'm convinced that cranberry is most appropriate and interesting. Oh well. I just can't wait til 1/22!!!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, those nails...uh, yeah, hardcore is right! That would annoy me to no end to have big things like that at the ends of my fingers.

• Adventures with Duffy

I don't get it, there is some magazine that is not Disney but they have put out an article about Duffy? So he is going main stream?

It seems like a cool article. Showing guest with their Duffys, is a cute idea. And that one lady and her nails, wow. Cute idea, but how functional are they? lol Maybe they were just on while she was in the park? Who knows.

That is a very cute popcorn bucket. Have they ever done a Duffy popcorn bucket before?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast