Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    ...That is a very cute popcorn bucket. Have they ever done a Duffy popcorn bucket before?
    As far as I know, this is the first.

• Munchings & Crunchings

It is a cute popcorn bucket. I wonder if it really is bigger than the standard ones? I mean, if it's large enough to carry a Duffy plush, just how much popcorn can fit in there, LOL? That could feed a family all day long! I guess the great thing about them, is that you can reuse them over and over, so it's expensive, but if used a bunch of times, it does end up paying for itself. Still, I sure wonder how fancy that strap is for an extra $12...

• Adventures with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    As far as I know, this is the first.
    Cool, this is his first.

gurgi, I wonder if Duffy can fit in it too. That would be kind of cool. I love how the popcorn buckets can be re-used and whats nice about TDR, is there is a re-fillable price. DLR and WDW don't have that. Which is why people tend to not bring them back to the park.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, the US parks would rather you just buy an all-new bucket and fresh popcorn each visit. I think they limit the discounted refills for the day or something like that.

Although I wonder how TDR handles something like a guest bringing a bucket from 10 years ago to get a refill? Do they not bat an eye and just do it anyway? Would a CM question a guest with a 15th Anniversary bucket, LOL?

• Resident of the Caldera

People frequently bring older special event popcorn buckets and have them refilled. Using an old bucket is a tradition.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Question Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

...I love how the popcorn buckets can be re-used and whats nice about TDR, is there is a re-fillable price. DLR and WDW don't have that. Which is why people tend to not bring them back to the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Yeah, the US parks would rather you just buy an all-new bucket and fresh popcorn each visit. I think they limit the discounted refills for the day or something like that.
    Oh...my...gosh! Are you guys serious? Really? You can't use your $12 popcorn bucket to get $5 refills indefinitely?!?!? Someone has mentioned this before, but what I took away from it is that the US (and other parks) didn't have plastic refillable popcorn buckets and so many flavors of popcorn like TDR; that popcorn in this way is a "TDR thing."

Now, though, it sounds like you're saying that there are buckets (and flavors?) in the US, but that there are (a) no discounted refills (Janell) or (b) that there are only discounted refills on the day of purchase (Gurgi). Which is correct? And if there are different flavors, fill me in, please? And I'd love a link to photos of buckets from WDW and DLR, plus DLP or HKDL. I just can't believe this! Whyyy?!? It's not like $5 isn't still making a profit, and it's not like Disney's really gotta worry about money. Just give the people popcorn, for crying out loud! The charm makes you look good. Now that I know this, my popcorn buckets are "magical." Urghh...

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Although I wonder how TDR handles something like a guest bringing a bucket from 10 years ago to get a refill? Do they not bat an eye and just do it anyway? Would a CM question a guest with a 15th Anniversary bucket, LOL?
    This is presumptive because I've never used buckets older than 2008, but I have used my buckets well past their seasons. It is an absolute non-issue. They do not have to avoid batting an eye, and it is not "just done" with an attitude of resignation. It's part of the charm, actually, of the whole "popcorn bucket magic" to see people with buckets from years ago. I see them all the time. It seemed like I noticed more old Halloween buckets around Halloween, and more old Christmas buckets around Christmas, etc... People seem to like to match the season, even while representing that they're "old school."^^ However, I have also seen random Valentine's buckets from two years ago in the middle of the summer. It does not matter. Your bucket gets you a 60% discount, every day, anytime you come, no matter when your popcorn bucket is from. That's part of its value and "magic," and part of the magic of the place. Geez...just when I thought there was nothing else bad to say about the US parks. Thank goodness I found Disney parks for the first time in Tokyo. If I'd gone in the US first, I may never have come here. Even Duffy couldn't get me to overlook some of the stuff you guys talk about. On the upside, I now have yet another reason to be grateful and excited about TDR and OLC! I will never look at my popcorn buckets the same again; they have a magic power that (ALL of???) the other parks just don't.

Out of curiosity, how could they possibly do the "day of purchase" discount anyway? I mean, I don't get the impression that WDW and DLR are as seasonal with merchandise. So if the designs don't change frequently, how would they even be able to tell when you bought it? At least, you could get free refills for an entire season, as long as the bucket design is the same, right? Surely they don't ask for a receipt......

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Lightbulb Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Here's today's update - just one more to go! So far, updates have been 1/4, 1/8, and today 1/12. I guess the next one will be 1/16...just before the start of the event on 1/22. I also guess hope that merchandise and full disclosure will be announced on Saturday.

Not sure about how reliable this translation is; especially the second part, where I kinda ad libbed a little.^^ I couldn't understand much of it at all, but instead relied almost totally on eXcite and then just "localizing" the language. Joe? Ichigo? Help a brother out?

eXcite says: It is because pretty little creature's friend showed up to the presence.

I can't read the kanji well enough to tell if "pretty little creature" means Duffy or the new friend. I think it's the new friend, though, and that /'s/ is actually denoting an adjective for the friend. Either way, it's still difficult to tell if it's a pet or a girlfriend, but my guess is she's female, either way. Too much pink and hearts. It kinda looks like she might even have Minnie's bow on...and it kinda doesn't seem bear-shaped... Oh, the suspense!

I wonder if they'll do another full storybook for Sweet Duffy? I'd love to have the artwork from last year's Valentine/White Day stories, plus the new character. I have a feeling I'm about to be broke...^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-11-2010 at 07:58 PM.

• Adventures with Duffy

DuffyDad, DLR only has one flavor of popcorn. We use to have a carmel popcorn in a cute Whinnie the Pooh Honey Pot, it was so cute. But they took it out for some stupid reason. And yes I am up set about it. lol So we just have salted regular movie popcorn. No Strawberry. Never thought I would like it,but it smelled so good and it was good.

I never knew there was a same day bucket re-fill. I assume they would put a sticker on the bucket or maybe you show your receipt. Not really sure.

I can't say the buckets are all that cute like TDR. I really love the TDR ones that collapse and are made smaller. And DLR has short handles, nothing that could cross your body or hang down. Its just enough to hang on your arm or stroller. During the 50th Ann. the buckets changed monthly. Before that I think they changed once a year. Now who knows. I see different ones in different spots. Now HMH gets a new bucket each year and some times a holiday coffee/hot choc travel mug.(I really like the Mugs)

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

DuffyDad, DLR only has one flavor of popcorn. We use to have a carmel popcorn in a cute Whinnie the Pooh Honey Pot, it was so cute. But they took it out for some stupid reason. And yes I am up set about it. lol So we just have salted regular movie popcorn. No Strawberry. Never thought I would like it,but it smelled so good and it was good.

I never knew there was a same day bucket re-fill. I assume they would put a sticker on the bucket or maybe you show your receipt. Not really sure.
    Thanks for the info, Janell. Hopefully Gurgi can tell us more about the same day refill. Not even caramel?!? That's just crazy! We have caramel, of course, but Pooh's is honey - of course! And it can only be purchased in Pooh's area at TDL and not at all at TDS. I can't understand why they wouldn't do this in the States. It can't cost much more, and the charm of having land-/character-matching flavors and buckets probably increases sales dramatically. I know, personally, I would never have bought popcorn if not for wanting to try all the flavors and collect a few buckets. Am I missing something? Would this marketing really not be effective in every park?

I can't say the buckets are all that cute like TDR. I really love the TDR ones that collapse and are made smaller. And DLR has short handles, nothing that could cross your body or hang down. Its just enough to hang on your arm or stroller. During the 50th Ann. the buckets changed monthly. Before that I think they changed once a year. Now who knows. I see different ones in different spots. Now HMH gets a new bucket each year and some times a holiday coffee/hot choc travel mug.(I really like the Mugs)
    They could charge an extra $12 for the shoulder strap if it has Duffy!

Sorry...I dunno what "HMH" is... Still, only one a year is not a lot. Both TDL and TDS have new buckets (so that's more than one if you count both parks!) for every season or event. Although, come to think of it, I don't recall seeing one for Bonfire Dance or summer events. I think there may have been one at TDL for Monster's Inc, but I don't remember it being specifically for "Club Monster's Inc." Still...New Year's*, Valentine's/White Day, Spring Carnival**, Halloween, Christmas...original buckets with unique designs for both parks every year.

*They may actually share the design for New Year's...someone help me out?^^

**Spring Carnival is only TDS, but I'm pretty sure TDL will have one for their Easter event this year.

Plus, the year-round character-specific buckets like for Pooh or Marie also change out from time to time. I've seen lots of buckets from years past and thought, "Aw...I missed that one!" That's fun.^^

• Adventures with Duffy

HMH is Haunted Mansion Holiday. Which is the Nightmare Before Christmas Overlay. The buckets have Jack and Zero on them. They are actually cute. I will see if we have one and post a photo.

At DLR both parks have the same buckets. Not to say they wont have special ones here and there. Because they do have them. I am starting to think that DLR and WDW now share the same bucket design, because I read on them "Disney Parks". Which is sad. I wish they would do more park pacific items. But its the sign of the times with the state parks. Ive complained about this before. lol

Sorry its late. Im off to get some sleep.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Well, apparently, Disneyland has stopped offering refills on popcorn. They did at one point, as well as the refillable drink mugs. I think you did have to show a receipt. Now, nothing, not even coffee refills. So, you are buying a souvenir bucket that can only be used once... The CM's say they stopped due to health reasons, but I don't buy that.

I have seen DLR release some holiday buckets, but Janell is right, they usually just have a new design a year, and I think they share it with WDW. The 50th popcorn buckets were the closest they've ever gotten to TDR's quality level and release schedule. Sadly, it's back to the one a year thing, with maybe a Christmas one thrown in for good measure. They certainly are nowhere near as cute or portable as the ones from TDR.

Oh, and thanks for the translation again, DuffyDad. I'm getting the feeling more and more that it is a girl...something. I'm not sure that what we can see in the picture is part of the character, or if it's actually wrapped with a bow. I guess they won't reveal who it is until the last minute. Those pink hearts will be covering it up until then.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, DuffyDad, what if the character is "baby Duffy", LOL? You know what I'm referring to. At least it doesn't seem like immaculate conception...

• You have much to learn...

With all the times I've been to WDW, I've never bothered to notice anything about refills either- I believe they do have them though. I never get popcorn here in the US since I'm tired of the usual old buttered/salted popcorn crap. I do get it from time to time in TDR to try them out & just to get the bucket, but I usually throw out some of it anyway. I'm not a big popcorn person and it drives me crazy when all the popcorn shells (or whatever you call them) gets stuck on my tongue and back of my throat.

From the pictures and description, it sounds like Duffy may have some new small animal friend- I hope so at least. I guess we'll know in the next week or so. Things don't seem to leak out as much at TDR as they do at Disneyland or WDW- where new additions are known months before the company announces them.

DuffyDad- thanks for all the translations, photos and research you've given us- Hold a spot for me in line some day- since I well know how long the lines can be!!

• Munchings & Crunchings

The popcorn flavor thing is a mystery to me. That is one thing I think people in the US would love. Unlike getting excited about a particular character like Duffy, I am willing to bet that guests would really enjoy different flavored popcorn in the parks. I don't know if it's just management's decision to keep things simple and cheap, or if they don't think the public would try the flavors. Still, you can find all manner of flavored popcorn outside of the parks at specialty stores. Even if they did basic ones like cheese, caramel, cinnamon, etc. I know they could make money on that. It's one trend from TDR that I think would take off and flourish in the US parks if they decided to do it. I just don't think they care.

• You have much to learn...

It seems to me that there is just plain popcorn, ice cream and churro's in the US parks- I guess they just don't think that the US park guests are that adventurous when it comes to food snack choices.

I spend a small fortune just trying out all the popcorn flavors and snacks around the parks- I'm a little upset since my last trip that they did away with the Mickey shaped candied sweet potatoes in Tomorrowland- Are they just gone, or did they move them somewhere else?

I just wish WDW & DL would start some sort of program to get the free mugs/plates like TDR does- I recall about a year or two ago I heard Disneyland trying it out for christmas- but never got there that year- and this past Halloween while I was there they were offering a pumpkin Mickey ceramic mug with a dessert- but it was a little big and not that nice looking.

Even though they seem to be trying a Disney Bear again here- I don't really see anyone buying them any more. I was a little annoyed that I never got the chance to grab a NY World of Disney bear before it closed- I was there a few days before it closed and managed to grab a Pirate Duffy- err Disney Bear at 75% off- but the store was an absolute zoo with all of the tourists visiting NYC for New Years.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast