Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Felice Natale!

Talking Sweet Duffy 2010

1/22~3/14, from Funderful Disney newsletter. Duffy is also the solo featured character for February in the 2010 Funderful calendar.

Expect goods, sweets, souvenir cup/plate and Cape Cod Cook-Off area theming. I also imagine there will be a new costume. Perhaps the heartful red sailor from last year that wasn't officially released?

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blo...0080119_01.gif http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blo...1B0E381812.gif[http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blo...9_02-b7c5d.gif

By the by: I noticed a lot of people posing and photographing Duffys in TDS yesterday. Go Duffy!^^
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 12-14-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: hotlinked photos removed

Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Also, Duffy (wearing a jack-o-lantern theme outfit) is the featured character for October in the 2010 TDR Calendar for Cast Members.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Loves Mickey!

Omg DuffyDad!! Did you make the little moving duffy pictures!?

• Membre

That's very cute!!! Thanks!

• Adventures with Duffy

That is really cute. Thanks for posting.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yay! Especially since I missed out on last year's Sweet Duffy stuff.

• Felice Natale!

Lightbulb Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

The official site says (in Japanese^^):

Grand Opening Announcement from Duffy:

2010/1/22 (Friday)-3/14 (Sunday)
    "Sweet Duffy" opens at Cape Cod Cook-off for 2010.

Duffy has even bigger plans this year...

And here are some translations of the first two parts of the Sweet Duffy 2010 story. Sounds like there's gonna be a new character. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet...

Well, that's all for now. Still no photos of goods or the new costume that I assume will be available, but the site says 「Lots more fun coming your way! Be sure to check back!」
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-07-2010 at 08:21 PM.

• Felice Natale!

Red Face Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    Omg DuffyDad!! Did you make the little moving duffy pictures!?
    No, I just linked to them. I don't have skills like that.^^

In a subject related to the Duffy-dom (Duffy's Kingdom) that is Cape Cod, "Donald's Boat Builders" final performance is this coming Monday, January 11th.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Adventures with Duffy

Very exciting! Thanks for posting, DuffyDad.

• You have much to learn...

Thanks for the info DuffyDad- Now we all know by now what your & Gurgi's opinion on moving Duffy anywhere outside of Cape Cod area or TDS in general.

How are you taking the "New Friend" aspect? Do you think the new friend will be a smaller version of Duffy, for Duffy to carry around- or is there some competition looming that it may be finally giving Duffy a specific gender- distinguishing between a male and female version of Duffy? And would this new "friend" give Duffy any competition?

I hope it doesn't, but it sounds to me like Duffy may be in for some competition.

• You have much to learn...

Ok, I know I should get back to work (since I am there physically, but mentally somewhere in Disney Sea right now)-

This is slightly off topic on Sweet Duffy- but one thing I don't even recall seeing before. On my other post in the Christmas thread, I mentioned I had been reviewing past photos on deepdisney.com.

One thing I don't recall is seeing the St Patricks outfit on Duffy. What seemed even stranger to me is that most of the photos were taken in October of 2006. Now I assume it may have been a part of his Halloween outfit that year- but did seem odd to me that they were pushing St Patricks Day in October- and I was there a few days after & don't ever recall seeing them while I was there.

Anyway- one random thought I figured I'd throw out there if anyone knows more.

I'm sure I'll discover much more during my journey on deepdisney.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    In a subject related to the Duffy-dom (Duffy's Kingdom) that is Cape Cod, "Donald's Boat Builders" final performance is this coming Monday, January 11th.
    Lets hope there are ready this time for the possible crowds who may turn up to catch the last performance. We don't want another Mickey Mouse Revue incident where hundreds were turn away to the last performance in tears.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Ok, I know I should get back to work (since I am there physically, but mentally somewhere in Disney Sea right now)-

This is slightly off topic on Sweet Duffy- but one thing I don't even recall seeing before. On my other post in the Christmas thread, I mentioned I had been reviewing past photos on deepdisney.com.

One thing I don't recall is seeing the St Patricks outfit on Duffy. What seemed even stranger to me is that most of the photos were taken in October of 2006. Now I assume it may have been a part of his Halloween outfit that year- but did seem odd to me that they were pushing St Patricks Day in October- and I was there a few days after & don't ever recall seeing them while I was there.

Anyway- one random thought I figured I'd throw out there if anyone knows more.

I'm sure I'll discover much more during my journey on deepdisney.
    Yeah, seeing DuffyDad's translations mentioning the new character kind of makes me nervous. The fact that Minnie is "making" a friend for Duffy is ominous. I would not be surprised if it indeed was a "girl" version, another kind of bear. I think it will be different from the "Cuddly Bear" concept that's available everywhere outside the parks. Not sure I like it, but what can I do? It does not good to lament this, because it's going to happen regardless. It might just mean I lose interest, but if that happens, at least I'll save money, LOL!

As for that St. Patrick's costume, yeah, I have also seen pictures of Duffy actually wearing that in the park. I also found it odd that it was a fall release. I'm not sure of the significance of that, but there must have been a reason. I know it was in the "early days" where the costume designs were more simple and basically involved a hat & shirt/vest/sweater. I think the shamrock design is very cute, and I would love to have it for St. Patrick's day, but it's long gone...

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Sweet Duffy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    One thing I don't recall is seeing the St Patricks outfit on Duffy. What seemed even stranger to me is that most of the photos were taken in October of 2006. Now I assume it may have been a part of his Halloween outfit that year- but did seem odd to me that they were pushing St Patricks Day in October- and I was there a few days after & don't ever recall seeing them while I was there...

This is Duffy's "Oktoberfest" costume from 2007. Why it's Irish and not German, I don't know...It has always looked like St. Patrick's Day to me, too, though.^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Yeah, seeing DuffyDad's translations mentioning the new character kind of makes me nervous. The fact that Minnie is "making" a friend for Duffy is ominous. I would not be surprised if it indeed was a "girl" version, another kind of bear. I think it will be different from the "Cuddly Bear" concept that's available everywhere outside the parks. Not sure I like it, but what can I do? It does not good to lament this, because it's going to happen regardless. It might just mean I lose interest, but if that happens, at least I'll save money, LOL!
    Yeah, this has me worried, too. If I don't like the new character, Duffy's show costume in March will probably be the end for me. Might be a good time to stop spending money on a silly teddy bear anyway. I didn't get nearly as far as I intended with any of my photo/story projects and ultimately ended up just being a consumer. Nicely done, Disney and OLC!

I do have a sinking feeling that it will be a female version, and that Duffy will start being marketed as part of a hetero-pair. When this happens, one of the things that I like about Duffy - that he is an icon of innocent childhood love-of-all (unburdened by limitations on love that come with romantic attachment and growing up) - will be gone. No matter how much you love Mickey or think he loves you, we all know that he loves Minnie more. I hope if it is a female version, that she is like a sister or clearly just a pal, with no romantic overtones. If Duffy has his own "girlfriend" and a story that emphasizes this direction, the bond with an owner is less relevant: Your Duffy still belongs to you, but Duffy belongs to her. Even if they're just best friends, though; if they're marketed together, there's the feeling that you now need a "set." I don't doubt this is part of the plan. Some rabid fans, of course, will enjoy just having more Duffy goods to buy. For all the people who won't have heard of Duffy before the new mainstream version, there will be no sense of change or loss; this will simply be who Duffy is. If I understand at all why Duffy has been such a hit, though, this direction really will have a big (negative?) impact on some existing fans, myself included. It may - likely will - generate lots of revenue, but the charm will begin to fade.

Duffy will no longer have the mystique of childhood and collector teddy bears: the "best friend" of a child-mind, keeper of its secrets, sharer in its creativity, given life only by the holder's imagination. As long as fans could decide if Duffy was male or female, dress their bear how they want and see all interpretations as equally valid; Duffy was teddy bear first, and by extension the teddy bear for Disney fans.

Behaviorally, nothing really has to change, but with too much story, the possibility opens that some fans' characterizations of Duffy are "wrong." Especially as this new direction seems headed for the mass market, there will be in the popular culture, a "right" image of Duffy. Duffy's main appeal vs. every other character is that he has always belonged to fans. For me, Duffy is more the embodiment of the concept of teddy bear than the embodiment of the Disney brand. With too much development, though, he can no longer be the "essence" of teddy bear; he will be one specific bear, with one specific story and cast of supporting characters. The more characters he interacts with, the less he seems like an actual teddy bear. And once this happens, one fan's plush doll is no longer Duffy himself, but an image of Duffy, like plush dolls of Goofy or Daisy. Eventually, even children will limit the ways they play with Duffy, as they do with other well established characters. Batman can't fly and Superman is not a detective. Then again...Mickey was not always the happy-go-lucky nice guy we usually see today, and Donald - even now - isn't always angry.^^

Still, as some of us have always said, overexposure and too limited definition destroy Duffy's "magic." He will lose the quality that makes him transcendent, and be just another Disney marketing character - just another thing to buy. And once that happens, the whole thing just ceases to be worth it to me. I know that it's not actually different now, but when it starts to feel "crass," one can no longer be charmed by the illusion. Wow, it's really funny that I actually think all this and can put it into words...I wonder sometimes if I really am crazy... My own Duffy will still remind me of my "year of Disney and the indulgent childhood I never had," but I won't be boarding the "mainstream Duffy" train if it goes where I suspect it's going. What it takes to design that is far less impressive to me.

Still, it hadn't even occurred to me that the new friend could be Duffy's own plush, like Scrump from Lilo & Stitch or something. This would work for me, as it's still built on the power of plush, which is fundamentally about the power of the material/superficial to emotionally connect. This is both the essence of teddy bear and the essence of Disney, which is what makes Duffy work, at least for me.

The female counterpart concept seems, beyond being far more mundane, fairly redundant to me in light of Cuddly Bear. If there is a female Duffy, not only does she steal Duffy's spotlight, she will be in direct competition with Cuddly Bear. This seems like a misguided marketing move to me, since Cuddly has just now started to really become mainstream and yet to become fully adored as a "fan thing" and not just a "kid thing." This fact gives me hope that perhaps it will not be a female Duffy, but something more surprising, creative and interesting. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I admit to still hoping that I am pleasantly surprised at just how good an idea this new friend is once it all plays out. It would make me quite happy, and I don't think it's entirely unlikely. The Duffy designers are my favorite team at OLC/Disney, hands down.^^

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast