Please help me do Tokyo Disney on a budget...

Hi,

I have planned a trip to Toyo disney mid Feb. I have booked avccomodation at Sunroute for about $150 aussie a night, not including breakfast etc.

Now, my hours at work have been cut to a third unexpectatly and now need to see how and if i can do this trip with my mum on a tight budget. Any ideas? We are buying 2 day and 3 day passes, main focus is characters and rides different to other parks, but photo with characters are a highlight.

What meals can we get not necisarily weston but not fish/seafood? Is there a conceniene store at the shops near DLR?

Souvineers, what would we be looking at for key rings, small key chain plushes etc?

Also celebrating my birthday and was hoping ot do acharacter meal...but may have to miss that out and also a day tour of tokyo...
    2000 - Disneyland
    2000 - Walt Disney World
    2005 - Disneyland
    2005 - Walt Disney World
    2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
    2006 - Tokyo Disneyland/sea
    2007 - Hong Kong Disneyland
    2008 - Hong kong Disneyland x2
    2009 - Hong Kong Disneyland x2
    Upcoming
    Dec 2009 Hong Kong Disneyland
    Febuary 2010 Tokyo Disney
    July 2010 Hong Kong Disneyland

Re: Please help me do Tokyo Disney on a bugjet...

If you check my trip report in this forum, I tried to list prices for all the food we bought in and around TDR - maybe that can help you? We honestly felt that things were less expensive than we expected.....I set a budget of $150 US for 3 adults, and we didn't spend nearly that much each day!

buying breakfast and snacks at the grocery in Ikspiari was a great money and time saver for us, so I can recommend that.....as long as you don't mind a little adventure with guessing what is in the package!

I didn't really understand the reservation process for the character meals, so we didn't worry about that - but the theming at the Queen of Hearts rest was impressive enough for a nice birthday meal - with unbirthday cake even!

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

The disneyland hotel has a little market /gift shop that has sandwiches for around $5 I would eat those for breakfast as i headed into early entry... They were like egg tuna, chicken , so they could be used for lunch etc as well.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    The disneyland hotel has a little market /gift shop that has sandwiches for around $5 I would eat those for breakfast as i headed into early entry... They were like egg tuna, chicken , so they could be used for lunch etc as well.
    Even better, head over to the JR station and pop into a conveni for a sandwich, some pocky and a Royal Milk Tea for probably less than a fiver. I've been living off egg sandwiches on my adventures for the last few weeks
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

i'm going to Tokyo in May flying out from Paris to beijing and Beijing to Narita . Then we found a Hotel near Asakusa are inside of Tokyo .

we thought about getting the 4 Days Pass at TDR due to their Complicated Ticketing System . As the Park Hours are the same all week long we're going to TDR mid week while the japanese kids are still in school .

Also on our TDR visit Journey to the Center of The Earth will go on Refurb on Thursday . There is a Mistake on the TDL's English Website . Journey ..of the earth seems to be on Rehab from March till July but after i asked my friend from Tokyo he told me that the Japanese Website mentioned From May 5th till July .

As i'm used to the RER A from Paris to Marne La Vallée , I'll be OK with the JR Trains from Tokyo to Maihama Station .

• MiceAge Columnist

You can't go *into* the JR station without a valid pass. The convenience store just outside the JR station has enough food to last you all day (if you stuff your pockets) for literally $15AUS all day.

That is, assuming you are willing to live off rice triangles. (someone please get me a tuna rice triangle recipe right away... I've tried four times at home and can't get it right!)

Other money savings: ramen from the ikspiari supermarket (lower level). Your hotel room will let you boil water and make ramen right there.

Personally, I'd eat rice triangles for breakfast, eat in the parks, then buy ramen on the way home to eat in the hotel. If you can afford it, just eat in the parks. It's a vacation - you can't do this at home!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• You have much to learn...

I say go for small snacks in the parks- there are so many great things to find there at the different locations around TDL and TDS- I don't think the food in the parks is that expensive, however the drinks are & they are very small in size in comparison to the price. I prefer trying different things around the park as opposed to trying to figure out what you are going to eat from picking up food from a convenience store.

At least in the resorts, descriptions are posted in english as well, so you pretty well know what you are getting.

Lunches and dinners can vary depending on where you go in the parks

I've never really eaten that much in Ikspiari, but have tried out the Hawaiin Burger place & The Rainforest cafe- I really didn't like the Rainforest that much though- but there are many food locations throughout Iskpiari that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something affordable.

I'm probably not helping too much- but I go and enjoy myself, charge as much as possible and worry about paying the bills later.

Either way- have a great time.

• Adventures with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    I say go for small snacks in the parks- there are so many great things to find there at the different locations around TDL and TDS- I don't think the food in the parks is that expensive, however the drinks are & they are very small in size in comparison to the price. I prefer trying different things around the park as opposed to trying to figure out what you are going to eat from picking up food from a convenience store.
    I agree TDR has a lot of different food in carts around both parks. Not always the healthiest but sure is yummy. You will walk it off. lol Also I wonder if you packed in your suite cast 100 cal packs, trail mix or what ever if that could help keep cost down.

I also agree drinks are smaller and if your like me, enjoy having something cold or hot its going to cost you. Not really sure how to get around that. Other then buying off property and bring it with you.

Re: Please help me do Tokyo Disney on a budget...

for drinks - it is much more cost efficient to take advantage of the carts with bottles whenever you see them in Disney Sea - in Disney Land, visit the vending machines under Space Mountain. We always grabbed a couple of nice cold bottled waters for 150 yen or Pocari Sweat for 200 yen and kept them in our backpacks to sip on...

Just as anywhere else - you get a lot more drink at a much lower price than if you buy fountain drinks full of ice....

• Adventures with Duffy

I agree the carts are a great place to grab drinks. Just make sure you have cash, the carts don't take credit cards. Also do note that when I was at TDR there were no ATMs that took cards from the US. So we had to plan out when to use cash and when not too so we had enough cash to get us through.

• Loves Mickey!

For drinks the absolute cheapest thing you can do is buy a refillable container and fill it at the waterfountains in the restaurants or outside. The drinking water in Japan is very clean. If you want good food and don't want to wait in a long line when it's a busy day at the park the cafe at the Disneyland hotel has a great deal where you can choose three deli items a soup and you also get a dring for like 1200yen and you can enjoy the pretty and calm atmosphere there before heading out into the crowns again. Or bring in food from the outside and if they ask you say you will eat it in the picnic area and that is fine.

Forgot to add that the best convenience store close to he parks is the one at the TDLH, it has great selection!