• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Ex Tokyo Disneyland performer in UK Dance Competition

So I was watching the UK version of So You Think You Can Dance Tonight and came across a contestant named Robbie White. While highlighting his previous dance experience outside of the UK, a picture of him came up performing in Tokyo Disneyland's One Man's Dream II. I checked his online profile and it does appear he did at some time perform at Tokyo Disneyland. It gets you thinking about other performers who may of got there first break at the park. Anyway here's Robbie's profile, anyone seen him before or perhaps met him during his stint in Tokyo, I must admit he does look like I've seen him before. BBC - BBC One - So You Think You Can Dance - Robbie White

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Ex Tokyo Disneyland performer in UK Dance Competition

Aw, too bad I can't view the videos. Still, that's interesting and does make you wonder how many people who might now be famous, may have had a start at Tokyo Disney Resort. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Jennifer Hudson, and it was not TDR she worked at, but the Disney Cruise line. There have to be more people though, especially since TDL's opening in 1983. So many performers have passed through there.

Taye Diggs also performed at TDL.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Really? I didn't know that, it's interesting!

Taye Diggs was in Sebastian's Caribbean Carnival which was held in 1995.
    So you went to Tokyo on Disney's dime?
    I went over there and had amazing experiences, made really great friends, saved a bunch of money, and had a really great time. Sebastian's Caribbean Carnival was pretty hilarious. There were costumes and a number of Japanese dancers, puppets, characters, and the whole bit. It was what everybody did there, so nobody really felt that stupid. But Tokyo was overwhelming. I don't know how politically correct this is, but I had only been where there are either a lot of white people or a lot of black people or a lot of Latinos. It was just really, really interesting to see everybody Asian. Not only was I a minority, but the Caucasian folks around me were minorities as well. It was great just to have the roles kind of reversed, even more so than I was used to.
    Scott Porter, from TV's Friday Night Lights and the film Speed Racer, performed in Mickey's Adventureland Mardi Gras.
    TVGuide.com: What was the most embarrassing character you played?
    Porter: My first gig was the Happy Campers, a children's sing-along group, and I did beatboxing. It was pretty embarrassing. I've done it all — I was a pirate in a stunt show. I was Dracula and Frankenstein and the Wolf Man in Ghostbusters at Universal Studios; at Tokyo Disneyland I played Pierre the Mardi Gras king.... Then I went to New York.
    Tenley Molzhan, currently one of the bachelorettes in The Bachelor (2010), performed as Ariel for 9 months at TDS a few years ago.
    Last edited by JoeInJpn; 01-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

Its nice to see the Resort is able to offer these opportunity's to up and coming performers. And from the sounds of it there have been a few. A quick update Robbie was voted to stay in last night and is currently the favourite to win. Did I mention the winner would be given chance to perform on the US version of the show.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Performing on the US version, not competing, right? I mean the won't allow a winner to compete again, will they? Not that I would have a problem with that. I guess it helps that Nigel Lythgoe produces both, right, LOL!

• Banned User

Thats right the winner will perform, but not compete in the next US Series of So You Think You Can Dance. As for Nigel being involved with both shows, yeah it certainly is a win win situation. Expect similar things when Simon Cowell finally brings his talent show the X Factor to US screens, now that he's quit American Idol.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: Ex Tokyo Disneyland performer in UK Dance Competition

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Taye Diggs was in Sebastian's Caribbean Carnival which was held in 1995.
    Scott Porter, from TV's Friday Night Lights and the film Speed Racer, performed in Mickey's Adventureland Mardi Gras.
    Tenley Molzhan, currently one of the bachelorettes in The Bachelor (2010), performed as Ariel for 9 months at TDS a few years ago.
    Is there anything you don't know, Joe?^^ Taye Diggs is the only one of these people I'm familiar with, but he's cool. And that quote is interesting; I've had similar feelings here in Japan, though "reversal" isn't quite the word I'd use.

• You have much to learn...

I've seen Taye Diggs in Wicked on Broadway a few years ago & was actually looking for Tenley who played Ariel last night- but fell asleep during the Bachelor- so I never saw her to see if I remember her from the show.