Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: About how much does it cost? When should I go?

Heh, well it'd be a little bit more of an added attraction to me. I'm casually interested in the traditional/custom stuff because I'd think it'd be interesting to see.

But the inner city and pop culture "scene" isn't really anything I'm in to. I'm getting too old for that. I had a younger co-worker who worked with me as an artist for a bit. Every moment not spent doing work for somebody else was spent with a Trekkie-like obsession around Japanese serial dramas, cartoons, pop music, videogames, etc. It doesn't turn me on like it does him.

Going to Tokyo for TDR was in his eyes like climbing Mount Everest just to see your house and then coming back down.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 10-27-2005 at 03:57 PM.

• Sea Creature

Well, like I said, there's Meiji Shrine, Senso-ji temple, The Imperial Palace, and Kamakura if you want to go on a day trip. But even if you don't like that inner city stuff, trust me, you don't want to go to the biggest city in the world and not see it. Just walk through and be amazed!

• Banned User

He's going to WDW instead so I am bowing out trying.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Sigh. Okay, well, since I don't have much experience with travel, and TDLFAN you fly around the world quite a bit and I haven't, let me ask you:

How badly does jet lag affect US<->Japan trips? The return trip is nice because I can take a late flight out, enjoy the parks, and arrive back home at a time slightly earlier than I took off but how does the long flight and lag effect you if you're just there for a short time?

Because, see, the problem is that due to the price of the airfare and hotel, I can spend 3 nights at WDW for 2 at TDL. I know which resort is better for quality, but I figure I can squeeze more in if I'm not totally shocked coming off the plane.

I can't confirm anything until the bank gets back to me so I might as well be painfully indecisive now while it isn't costing me.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 10-27-2005 at 09:33 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    How badly does jet lag affect US<->Japan trips? The return trip is nice because I can take a late flight out, enjoy the parks, and arrive back home at a time slightly earlier than I took off but how does the long flight and lag effect you if you're just there for a short time?
    After 15+ years of flying trans pac, it doesn't bother me anymore. The trick to fighting jet lag depends on how rested you are during the flight... If you go Economy Class, you are screwed unless you can sleep in an upright position. Go Business or First if you can affort it. During the flight, drink lots of water to keep your body from feeling dry and dehydrated. Sleep as long as possible and DO NOT drink alcohol or coffee of any kind (reg or decaf) as it will make you feel worst. If you arrive in Tokyo in late afternoon..do try to stay up as much as possible and take one sleeping pill to help you sleep thru the first night as long as possible. In the morning..push yourself out of bed and do your best to avoid sleeping in the daytime. That is what I do to reset my body to local time. For example... I may arrive in Tokyo at 5pm and would stay up until 9-10pm.. then go to bed. If I have nothing to do in the morning and have time to spare a quick visit to TDR...I usually am up by 5:30am and then go. Then I may be up until 11pm or 12 mindnight on that 2nd day in Japan or anywhere in the pacific region since often times, I go to TDR for a few hours and leave Japan for other places in the late afternoon (6pm or later..) By the next day... I am totally in sych with pacific daylight.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan
    Hakone is a great place but that's rather far from the resort. I was thinking maybe he should stroll through Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya, etc. Do some shopping, mueseums, Senso-ji temple, Meiji Shrine and whatnot. If you do want to go on a longer trip like Hakone, your time is better spent at Kamakura.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
    Check this more specific link.
    Ah, but part of the Hakone experience is the thrill of getting there--first the bullet train, then that switchback train, then the incline, then the cable car, then the stop at the bubbling sulfer spring area, then the little cable car, and finally the best ride of all: the PIRATE SHIP! Heck, when we went it was too hazy to even see the mountain and we had a great time. We even caught a tiny matsuri while we were there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12