Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

About how much does it cost? When should I go?

Some of you might remember me popping into the TDL forum some months ago to talk about taking a personal trip to one of the Disney parks farther than ours here on the west coast. I decided on TDL because I figured there was more I could do in 2.5 days than in Orlando. Well, I've amassed some trip money, and now I have to commit myself to this and not blow it!

I've already been running a tally of costs including all the things I'm going to need for overseas travel, but about how much does all this, on average, cost for a trip of this length? I'm shooting for one of the hotels in the neighborhood because I can't afford the immediate on-site stuff.

As far as wild card things like souveneirs go, I'll be sure to find things in Japan that I'll want that will cost less than that TDL jazz. Looking at Orbitz, airfare goes down drastically when you compare six months from now to next month. It seems there's value in booking in the short-term (but not TOO short term.)

I figure a 3-day park hopper will let me look at TDL one day, TDS the other day, and race around furiously for a half-day to see the things I didn't see at both.

So, looking forward to the next six months, when should/shouldn't I go? I'd like to avoid bad weather periods but also don't want to end up in the crowd of a national event of some kind.

• Banned User

Re: About how much does it cost? When should I go?

I can only guess that you will be spending in the vecinity of $1,500-2,000 while there for about 5 days or so, depending on what your air fare might be, the hotel you end up choosing, how much you care to spend in food and merchandise or if you are planning to go beyond TDR and enjoy Japan and Tokyo as well... really difficult to put a number on that until you know what you want to do and where you'll stay etc etc etc...

When to go depends on what you want to do... 2nd and 3rd week in January is dead time. February is OK as well but remains cold during this time. Cinderellabration is on at night but NO Dreamlights. March and April may see a bit more crowded conditions but not out of the ordinary. Disney Princess Days may be up at TDL and Rhythms of the World will perform at TDS. Dreamlights returns from Hiatus at the end of March. Avoid May, especially during Golden Week Holidays in the beginning of the month. June is a no-no as it's concidered rainy Season. July is Ok but may be crowded on some days.. August is peak time. Hot and Humid and the entire population of Japan goes on vacation. First 2 weeks in Sept are ok but then...watch out! Disney's Halloween and Christmas Fantasy play back to back from mid sept thru Xmas day, and it will be packed at TDL. TDS will celebrate it's 5th anniversary and TOT will be opened by then... Expect crowds at TDS during that time. Finally AVOID new years' week. Too crowded.

That's about it.

When does Dreamlights go down? I definitely want to catch it.

• Banned User

During the "Cinderellabration" event... Not sure exactly what the exact dates are this coming year, but it's around Jan 18th 2006 thru march 20th or so... The reason for that is because Cinderellabration does feature the Lights of Romance electrical garden all over the hub which is a gorgeous display of lights and motion and music. Worth seeing as well...

• Sea Creature

You know this is such a highly visited resort with so many conditions, it's hard to decide when you should go. It really depends on when you want, and can go. Many days are more crowded than others for strange reasons and it seems there are just too many crowded times. June really works out well if you watch the weather forecast, and the beginnning of July should be good as well. Stay away from August! I would try to avoid the end of March, school ends then. Fall would be o.k. as long as you don't go on the very first day of special events. Lastly, TDR handles crowds better than any of the other parks due to their design layout. They process more people than any other theme park (I believe) so they have wide walkways, lot's of shops (lot's of people spend half of their time shopping here in Japan!) and restaurants, and high capacity rides to keep the crowds minimal.
    Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 10-25-2005 at 06:58 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan
    TDR handles crowds better than any of the other parks due to their design layout. The process more people than any other theme park (I believe) so they have wide walkways, lot's of shops (lot's of people spend half of their time shopping here in Japan!) and restaurants, and high capacity rides to keep the crowds minimal.
    True but let's give credit where it's due: the Cast Members. Crowd control would be a major nightmare if it wasn't for the high level of staffing and the well coordinated efforts of all CMs doing crowd control duties all over the park. The little things they do (such as the green glow-in-the-dark clip on lights they use to direct crowds thru crosswalks in the dark go a long long way to help out) Lastly..most japanese guests do respect because the TDR CMs are quick to lay down the law in a most polite way to make sure guests do not stray from the norm... All these attributes are nearly absent at all of the other Disney parks on Earth, reason why I have never witnessed fights breaking out among guests at TDR as opposed to the many incidents of discord at all the other Disney parks outside of Japan.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    True but let's give credit where it's due: the Cast Members. Crowd control would be a major nightmare if it wasn't for the high level of staffing and the well coordinated efforts of all CMs doing crowd control duties all over the park. The little things they do (such as the green glow-in-the-dark clip on lights they use to direct crowds thru crosswalks in the dark go a long long way to help out) Lastly..most japanese guests do respect because the TDR CMs are quick to lay down the law in a most polite way to make sure guests do not stray from the norm... All these attributes are nearly absent at all of the other Disney parks on Earth, reason why I have never witnessed fights breaking out among guests at TDR as opposed to the many incidents of discord at all the other Disney parks outside of Japan.
    I stand totally corrected. I do notice the cast members going above and beyond everytime I'm there, but I never realized that they helped crowds as much as they do. Yes, they are another factor I should have listed.

Arrgh, now that I have the money in my hand I'm playing park choosies again like I was a few months ago when I was debating TDR and WDW. Just saying "I'll pick this one, there!" is a lot easier when you're only going there in your mind.

My brain is saying "Most the stuff at TDL is also at DL, aren't 3 parks and a few new MK rides > TDS? And there's no hassles of internationaly travel, too. You don't know much Japanese beyond greetings, asking where the train station is, and if someone knows English" (yes, I've been listening to tapes with this trip in mind.) My heart is saying "TDS, Dreamlights, Pooh, and I can get by as a foreigner for three days."

We'll see what happens when a reservation is made, I guess.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    My brain is saying "Most the stuff at TDL is also at DL, aren't 3 parks and a few new MK rides > TDS? And there's no hassles of internationaly travel, too. You don't know much Japanese beyond greetings, asking where the train station is, and if someone knows English" (yes, I've been listening to tapes with this trip in mind.) My heart is saying "TDS, Dreamlights, Pooh, and I can get by as a foreigner for three days."
    ARGH! Now you got it all WRONG!! There is so much more to TDR than just "most of the stuff that is at TDL is also at DL..." TDL has many more things to offer besides the dreaded roster of attractions... There are those wonderful special events, several stage shows, killer parades, a great abundance of eateries and shops to explore, a ridiculously clean park...and Japan's legendary levels of service.

And you totally lost me with your...<<Aren't 3 parks and a few new MK rides >TDS?>> What are you taking about?? There are no rides from the MK at TDS, nor is TDS a copy of any park we already know out there. Most of the stuff at TDS is unique to that park, and then there is all that eye candy to enjoy... The only duplicates we have at TDS from other parks are Indy, Raging Spirits and the upcoming TOT and even those are much better than the other ones IMHO...

There are no hassles with international travel and no need to feel inferior because you are a foreigner. Trust me, in Japan..you'll be treated much better and with much more courtesy than you ever got in the USA. Just try any McDonald's in Tokyo if you do not believe me.
    So STOP! the insanity and go where you will get the best experience Disney can give you: TDR. If you don't like it afterwards then I will respect your opinion even more because you *went*, then you can go to stale WDW if you prefer.

Hehe. I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Perhaps I mispronounced my post. My point was that TDL is essentially a slightly modified MK/DL with Dreamlights/Cinderellabration, an excellent Pooh ride, etc. It is, however, more of the MK/DL formula.

What I meant was that to my position, a DL fan who hasn't been to either park, the few additional rides in the DL-esque park that don't exist in Anaheim and the three other, lower-quality parks might provide me with more things I want to see than a few additional rides in the DL-esque park that don't exist in Anaheim and one, magnificent park.

I respect your opinion because I know you've been to both resorts many times, but I've never seen either resort up close, so either one is going to blow me away due to low/no expectations. TDL is in the lead right now, though, because seeing surrounding Japan is better than surrounding Orlando.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 10-25-2005 at 09:50 PM.

Very important TDL question I forgot to ask.

What do they take in the way of credit there? I assume any hotel I stay at there is going to be like an American hotel in that they want a credit card to charge to if they found out you took something (all I ever take is the soaps!) The last thing I want to do is re-enact one of those Visa ads.

• Banned User

Some hotels in Japan will charge your credit card at the moment you check in. So your account will be paid right away when you arrive. Not sure if they would go back to assess your room after you check out and find missing items.. However, I feel this is something that does not occur with japanese customers... stealing I mean. You will find toiletries that are free for the taking and other items are usually posted as "for sale". Minibars items outside the fridge are clearly posted as "for sale". Example... at the TDS Miracosta, their inroom robes do have signs declering "the robes are for use while in the hotel and new robes may be purchase at the gift shop" or something to that effect.

As for credit cards... Visa is widely accepted around Japan. So are Master Card, American Express, Carte Blanche, Diner's Club, JCB, and other international cards. At TDR, you can use credit cards for just about anything but the vending carts around the park. (eg- popcorn or ice cream popcicles carts)

As for ATMs... we americans can only use international ATM, so it would be advisable to look for the "PLUS" logo on them... At TDR, the international ATMs are located at info desk to the left of the TDL main entrance and at the lobbys of the Miracosta and the Ambassador hotel... however! These ATM allow for a *minimum* withdrawal of 10,000yen and only in digits of 10,000 yen ( 10,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 etc etc etc). At the airports and around the city, you may encounter the CitiBank ATMs and these allow you to withdraw in digits of 1,000 yen, so IMO..Citibank ATMs are the most convenient to use. All ATM do have the "English" button on the screen... press that first so you can make your transaction in english on the screen..
    For added fun, the ATM will talk to you and say "Irashai Masu" and "Arigato gozaimasuta"... Meaning "welcome" and "thank you for using me". Even machines are mre polite than guests at WDW!!

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I respect your opinion because I know you've been to both resorts many times, but I've never seen either resort up close, so either one is going to blow me away due to low/no expectations. TDL is in the lead right now, though, because seeing surrounding Japan is better than surrounding Orlando.
    Yes, Yes, YES!! You have to. In fact, that should be more your purpose of the trip is to see Tokyo. You'll be blown away, it's not what you expect.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/
    go here and find some attractions to see. You'll love it.

• Banned User

The Hakone cablecar along is worth the trip if the weather is clear enough to gasp as the sheer size of Mt. Fuji.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    The Hakone cablecar along is worth the trip if the weather is clear enough to gasp as the sheer size of Mt. Fuji.
    Hakone is a great place but that's rather far from the resort. I was thinking maybe he should stroll through Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya, etc. Do some shopping, mueseums, Senso-ji temple, Meiji Shrine and whatnot. If you do want to go on a longer trip like Hakone, your time is better spent at Kamakura.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
    Check this more specific link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast