Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: OLC to sell Disney Stores Japan to Disney

Yeah, that was my stomping ground too. I still go back to Claremont to visit friends. I used to love that Disney store, and didn't realize it was so special until I went and saw the other ones around the country. The Mickey's Kitchen concept seemed like it could have worked. There must have been some reason they didn't proceed with it. Maybe it wasn't actually making money? I remember there were always lines though, and it seemed popular. You could get a burger shaped like Mickey, and other themed fast-food items. The atmosphere was cute too, like a 1950's diner. Kind of like a Johnny Rockets, only extremely Disney themed. They even had an entrance to the store on the outside of the mall that looked like the old silver diners, with animated figures of Daisy and Minnie in waitress costumes.

Oh yeah, Joe, do you remember Griswald's Inn? They had the smorgasbord that used to be pretty good. The place went downhill though. I don't think it's there anymore, actually.

• WDW CM & HM fan

Quote Originally Posted by Beej1975 View Post
    The product has actually gotten a little better since Disney's product has made it in the stores. (Keep in mind, buyers are 9-12 months ahead, so it took a year for Disney's buyers product to get put on the shelves). The plush is much nicer and the clothes quality has gone up a little. The problem is the marketplace has changed a great deal since the store opened in the late 80's. Discount retailers have taken much of the market and Disney has changed its focus to 3-12 age group. While we may not all like the product or the new focus, they had to do it for profitability. I myself am thrilled Disney not only took the stores back, but is reinvesting in them. The Imagination Park is supposed to be amazing. Steve Jobs supposedly had a lot of influence in it's design. Wait and see. Don't turn your nose up at it until you've tried it. Go Beavers!!
    Excellent post. Yes, retail buyers place their orders way ahead of time. Didn't the stores only get reaquired last april or May?

I used to work in a Gallery store and love the two sets of china I bought there - one regular set that has sketches of MM and the other is for Christmas (from 1999, I think).
    AKA doombuggy
    1974 - 1983 WDW day trips * 1992 WDW off site * 1994 WDW Contemporary * 1997 WDW off site * 1997 WDW Polynesian * 1998 DL PAC * 1999 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2000 WDW Coronado/Port Orleans * 2001 WDW off site * 2002 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2002 WDW/Happy Haunts Ball * 2003 WDW Riverside * 2003 WDW Happy Haunts Ball * 2004 Moved to Orlando * 2006 DVC Member * 2006 DLR * 2007 Pirate & Princess Party * 2007 DVBR * 2007 OKW * 2007 VWL * 2008 GCH * 2009 BLT * 2009 AKV * 2010 OKW * 2010 SSR * 2010 DLP DLH * 2011 BLT*2011 AKL*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani

• You have much to learn...

I knew too already about waiting till Disney officially took over the merchandise purchasing. But from what I've heard from a few of my friends who are cast members & managers of the stores- Disney did take over and was responsible for buying merchandise beginning with the first quarter - which began in 11/09- so any merchandise received for Christmas & after was purchased by Disney & not from the original orders thru Hoop, which ended with the Halloween product in 10/09.

I still think that not much has improved yet- and it still looks to me, at least, that the quality hasn't improved just yet. Disney started slipping with it's merchandise a few years before the Hoop/Childrens Place takeover- things really began going downhill after they tried out the Disney Play stores and the Disney Home store, if anyone remembers them at all. I actually worked there when we changed from a Disney store to Disney Play- which concentrated on the under 17 set and that is when, I believe started the downward spiral of the stores which eventually led to the takeover by Hoop Retail.

I'm sorry, I love Disney, but lately the quality of the Disney brand is slipping too much lately. I believe there is much better product in the Tokyo Stores than is here in the states, so I hope that doesn't change too much.

These days I still visit the stores every week or two, but I go in- walk around & leave a little depressed each time. I don't even like the new look of some of the stores with the metal fixtures and hard floors. I still prefer the older stores with the carpeting that have the look of a soundstage & actual animation around the stores as opposed to a few cardboard pictures of characters lining the walls.

I am also eagerly awaiting the opening of the Imagination Park stores which I knew about a year ago in their initial planning stages- but they didn't officially announce it till a few months ago. I hope they do go back to the original ideas that made the stores so great in their early years.

I still don't agree on solely focusing on the under 12 for kids. I still feel that there is enough of a market for Adults, collectibles and home products. I just hope they don't completely forget about all of us older kids.

• Resident of the Caldera

The only Disney store I've visited in Tokyo is the one at the resort in Ikspiari, and the quality (and interest level) of the merchandise has declined over the past three years. Oriental Land was obviously losing interest and trying to save money, so who knows if this will be an improvement or not.

Well we should just wait and see. I know that the U.S. stores have "generic" merchandise, but Disney knows that the stores are so popular in Japan, which is why they probably bought them from OLC, but if they change out the merchandise and sales go down, they'll surely bring it back!!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

A quick Disney Store question, I'm away in Japan next week and was wondering if anyone knew where the Disney Store's were located in the Kansai region. I believe the Hep 5 Shopping mall in Osaka has a Store, anyone know of any others?

Malin,

Here is the Shinsaibashi Store map in Japanese and English:
    http://www.disneystore.co.jp/store/map/201.html

And the Sannomiya Store map:
    http://www.disneystore.co.jp/store/map/204.html
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Thank you Joe thats a lot of help

Are you able to purchase Tokyo Disney Resort park tickets from the Store's still, as it may be an idea to pick them up before reaching Tokyo?

Yes, those particular locations have TDR Ticket Centers.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12