Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Fan & Musician

Do The Japanese Come To The American Parks?

Do they come often? I was just at DLR today, and I saw many Japanese with merchandise from TDR. Do they have annual passes?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Banned User

Re: Do The Japanese Come To The American Parks?

I have seen several. While walking past GRR at DCA last Summer I saw two girls wearing the Bonfire Dance merchandise. Very interesting.

• Banned User

about three years ago on one of my solo trips there were groups of japanese teenagers and they had park maps that were written in japanese. they spoke fluent english and the tour guide asked if they were in a group from japan and they said yes.

one thing for sure......

WOW!!!!!!!! JAPANESE WOMEN ARE CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Disney Fan & Musician

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    about three years ago on one of my solo trips there were groups of japanese teenagers and they had park maps that were written in japanese. they spoke fluent english and the tour guide asked if they were in a group from japan and they said yes.

one thing for sure......

That is very true.

• Pongo is my hero.

I don't see why not.

I've seen Japanese in American parks with Disney apparel that looked like it was from Tokyo Disney Resort.

Plus, it's like saying if DL'ers visit the other parks. TDL, like DL'ers, are mainly local so the parks are a regular occurence for them- would you want to vacation in a place you already frequent regularly? Isn't a vacation when you get away fromyour normal tendencies for a while?

one hundred and one

• Dream in wonderful color!

yes, they do!
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Disney Fan & Musician

They must like not having huge lines.

• Functional & Decorative

I'm Japanese, and I visit about once a month with my PAP!
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Banned User

Actually the japanese have no problem sitting in extra long lines of 3 hours or more. recently, japanese guests waited as long as 8 hours in line to buy the limited edition TDS shelly mae doll, and stand by lines of 2 hours plus are not rare at TDR, and they still do them.

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Do they come often? I was just at DLR today, and I saw many Japanese with merchandise from TDR. Do they have annual passes?
    The low season at TDR (early Jan thru late march) usually mean lots of japanese tour groups visiting the USA parks. Currently at WDW there have been lots of japanese tour groups visiting regularly since the beginning of the year. JTB is one such company offering tours and they usually stay at the higher end of the resorts' hotels. many of them usually stay at the Beach/Yatch club, or better. You can spot the japanese guests easily as they dressed better than their american counterparts and usually do carry some of the TDR toys and assessories with them, such as mini-plushes and park lanyards. but what they don't realize is.. that in the US, the guests are not as fun loving as they are nor do or dress "disney" style the way they do at TDR. Reason why they stand out with their ultra cool souvenirs on them, which is a way of being while at TDR, but not at WDW or DLR.
    As a side note, you also see many japanese guests visiting DLParis in the spring time and also HKDL during most times of the year.

• Cars Land Rocks!

There are always lots of Japanese tourists at Disneyland, Universal Studios and in Hollywood whenever I'm there. On Tuesday we were in line for Big Thunder Mountain and a guy came through the line wanting to give away three FastPasses ... We had too many in our group, so we couldn't use them, but there were two Japanese girls who took them ... after they figured out what he was handing out. They were so excited to get to skip the line. They were very sweet and tried to give us the one extra ticket, but we explained we couldn't use it. After taking pictures of the FastPasses, they ran to the front of the line and got into the FastPass line. We enjoyed seeing how that made there day.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Yes. They have for as long as I can remember.

In the late 70's-early 80's, Disneyland used to have "festivals" on weekends in the off-season honoring different countries, and "Festival Japan" was always a huge draw.

Even the opening of the Disney parks in Europe, and especially Tokyo, hasn't seemed to affect the numbers of Japanese tourists at the Anaheim parks.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I remember once, that in DL's Fantasyland, that two japanese girls were wearing Mickey Mouse Revue T-shirts.

Timekeeper

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I usually see quite a few Japanese tourists at WDW.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Very much so. And my understanding is that, culturally, going to the park is an extravgant event--we ran into two young ladies who were dressed up to the nines in kimonos and had their hair complete with Mickey Mouse adorned fans. I asked if I could have a picture taken with them--they were massively polite.

Another time, when I was still a smoker, I hid out in smoking section by the Haunted Mansion whilst my husband ran and got some popcorn. I felt a cold finger poke my left shoulder blade, where my Chinese tattoo was poking out from under my tank top. I spun and a group of tourists took a step back and one young lady spoke up, "those aren't in Japanese." I realized she hadn't meant to call my attention. This lead to teachable moment about my tattoo and they asked, when my partner returned, about why my popcorn was yellow.

I know now about the flavored popcorns of the TDL resort. I didn't at the time, but what started as a smoke break ended up as a cultural exchange as both parties lit up.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Ok well just a little

I've seen them over in Europe to at Disneyland Paris in the past. And I know quite a few visit Hong Kong Disneyland, and the menu's at some Restaurants does reflect to the Japanese palate. Disneyland probarely gets the most, and I've even spotted Duffy in California.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast