Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vacation Dillemma

I have been planning to come to TDR in November. Now inexplicably, the ticket price to Japan is rising for that month by over $100 (multiplied by five family members). And coincidentally I found an excellent deal to travel to WDW from Hawaii all inclusive hotel/car/tickets/ food for under $6000 for 5 people.

I cant help but feel disappointed to make a transition in plans, but it would save me 5-6 thousand dollars!!!! And we would be able to go next month. Another part of the disappointment is missing the Xmas overlays as well as Halloween and summer nightastic which does not happen til after we would be leaving.

Can anyone console me in my decision to possibly postpone my trip to TDR for one year for practical reasons. Will WDW be fun for me and my family, or will it be lame? Am I making a horrible decision?

I hope to hear from you. I hate to ask for yall to hold my hand, but I need help with this as it is a big decision.
    thanks
    Cedar

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Vacation Dillemma

Can anyone console me in my decision to possibly postpone my trip to TDR for one year for practical reasons. Will WDW be fun for me and my family, or will it be lame? Am I making a horrible decision?
    Before I start you may find one or two Members will be totally against the idea of you visiting WDW instead of the Tokyo Disney Resort, please take no notice. Reviewing your dillemma, if its more cost effective to postpone your Tokyo Disney Resort trip for a year and visit WDW, I say go ahead.

WDW has more than enough to keep you entertained on the property with four parks and two water parks plus Sea World and Universal are only a short drive away. Universal should certainly be worth a trip to see with the new Harry Potter area opening. And no one should miss out on seeing Epcot or Disney's Animal Kingdom, also by visiting WDW first it will give you a better understanding and appreciation for how things operate down at the Tokyo Disney Resort when you do finally get the chance to visit.

But do bare in mind despite my advice to visit WDW, air fare to Japan is unlikely to be going down in price anytime soon, so leaving it at year, you may end up paying even more on flights. No big issue but something you may like to take into consideration. But yeah if it makes more sense from a financial perspective to visit WDW, go ahead.

By the way like I said before you may find some on here a bit bias in support for the Tokyo Disney Resort, so for a clearer perspective you may like to post this thread again in the WDW section, to get a more fair and balance opinion.

Not a bad decision at all. While WDW fails in comparison to TDR, it certainly has its own merits. There are four different Parks. You will have fun. And you will love it. And look at it this way-2011 TDS will have Fantasmic and in 2012 Toy Story Mania, so there's two things to look forward to. Good (and smart) decision in my mind. Enjoy. (PS: love Hawaii-it's my favorite vacation spot, and the only place that I can truly just relax).

Just my two cents - conventional travel wisdom holds that four months out is now the earliest you should shop for domestic airfare and no more than 6 months out for international. Check out http://www.farecompare.com and others - they explain how the airlines are pricing their flights these days.

We flew to Japan last month and even two weeks before our trip, there were restricted economy fares of less than $800 from LA to Tokyo. When I started tracking these flights last October, they were $1100.

Red Face Re: Vacation Dillemma

I had to rub my eyes and read your post twice.... Did you ask if you will have Fun in WDW?!?
    You will have EPIC, AMAZING, MAGICAL fun in WDW!

I TOTALLY disagree with GUYNYC. In my opinion WDW does not "Fail in comparison" to TDR.

WDW does a lot of things better than TDR. TDR also does a lot of incredible, unique amazing things. But in my opinion, TDR gets a little too much credit because it IS so remote, and is a "once in a lifetime" trip for a lot of people. This makes it more special in a lot of people's minds. I just got back from TDR. It's incredible, especially TDS. The theming is Amazing. But being in World Showcase is also AMAZING. Being in Asia in Animal Kingdom is just as gorgeous and well-themed and unique. WDW remains in my opinion the "perfect" Disney resort. It is huge, when you are there you are completely buffered from the outside world. You can't see anything outside of the resort. The illusion and the immersive experience is complete. Go to WDW you will have an incredible vacation. Do also go to TDR, you'll have an incredible experience there as well, but WDW is #1 for me. I am jealous....

• Just another Disney fan..

I go to both WDW and TDR 2-3 times a year, so I think it should be OK for me to comment and share an opinion or two here.

Quote Originally Posted by mstolasz View Post
    ...WDW does a lot of things better than TDR. TDR also does a lot of incredible, unique amazing things...
    Other than quantity and scale, I can't think of one thing WDW does "better" than TDR. Maintenance, CMs, entertainment, merchandise, and for me the food offerings, all are better at TDR. The great things about WDW would be at best a tie with TDR. None better.

...WDW remains in my opinion the "perfect" Disney resort...
    As far as the "perfect" remark, I'll just assume it is enthusiasm coming through. No Disney Resort is perfect. And for me, if anything, TDR comes the closest to perfection.

...Do also go to TDR, you'll have an incredible experience there as well, but WDW is #1 for me...
    Agree that everyone should go experience TDR and WDW if possible. DLRP and HKDL are also a great experience. But if I have to say which resort should be #1 priority IF you could only choose one... the original Disneyland is what I would always recommend.

Roger 55 and I are gonna have a throw-down in the parking lot after this...

Food AND merchandise are better at WDW. I had several very nice meals at TDR. The S.S. Columbia dining room and The Eastside Cafe were both great. I also had some really mediocre food at TDR. Sailing Day Buffet was NOT great. And some of the snack food was sub par.
    WDW offers some world-class dining experiences. How about Boma and Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Or Le Cellier in Canada? Even the Crystal Palace buffet is Excellent. I'm talking about meals to write home about. Didn't get any of those in TDR.
    Merchandise at TDR is waaaay more limited and repeats in all but a few specialty shops. Clothing is limited and there are way too many food items for sale because the Japanese have to buy a present for everyone they know when they go on vacation. They are also really into some things and not at all into others. There was NOTHING in any TDR store featuring the Lion King, Cars, Mulan, or Pocahontas. Lots of Stitch though, I'll give you that. Much more selection and diversity of merchandise at WDW.

Nothing at WDW is better than TDR you say. how about Hotel Pools yo!

AND remember the big guy built WDW because he wanted to fix so many things that he felt he did wrong at Disneyland so DL can't be the quintessential Disney experience.

I know, I know... You're dazzled by my brilliant arguments. It's OK, my husband has to deal with this all the time...

• Banned User

WDW has a lot more to offer but it is the same stuff from one year to the next. It will be there next year and they will be doing the same things they do year after year. A resort that honestly.. has become stale, and that's the opinion of many others. Think of it this way.. You get what you pay for. WDW is still a great place to visit but everything they do, they do it cheaply than TDR.
    TDR..yes more expensive and remote (for those who can't afford to go, that is..) but those two parks pack as much fun as 3 parks at WDW, they offer holiday overlays that change from one year to the next (as opposed to WDW where you have to pay expensive tickets for halloween and xmas parties). At TDS, you have the most awesome 2nd gate ever built. At TDL, you get the most expansive, well maintained and best staffed DL park on Earth, where attractions are usually in top shape, and live entertainment abounds in every corner and with a high degree of quality none of the other DL parks seem to be able to match. Plus.. TDL is the better version of the MK model, so it would be like going to a better MK park at WDW.. in a sense.

Again, the decision is yours. WDW is still a great place to go, but IMHO.. all that WDW has to offer is SIZE. The quality is there but not to the same degree the Walt Disney Co should be capable of.. Then there's a matter of preference.. American Idol live versus TDS' Mythica/Big Band Beat etc...? Or the Halloween overlays at both TDL and TDS versus paying $59 per person to see the Boo To You parade and pyro at the MK? 20-yr old Indy Stunt show versus state of the art Indiana Jones ride? 20-yr old SpectroMagic versus state of the art Dreamlights? I can go on and on and on...

Remember those who claim WDW to be the "perfect" resort are the ones who do not know any better nor have they ever been anywhere BUT. TDR is not perfect either, but it is the undisputed quality leader that Disney should be synonimous with. Don't take it from me.. just go read the many trip reports now on display here in this board and get true opinions from people who have been there recently.. especially the one TP written by Lurkyloo..where she casually mentions that she has cancelled plans to go to WDW after visiting TDR since she is afraid the place will feel below standards now that she has gone to TDR.. (not my words, go read her report).

Again, you get what you pay for, and that means that you should decide how much you are willing to pay for a Disney experience. Its a matter of personal opinions on this, and this was my take on it. Remember, I live 15 minutes away from WDW but do not think twice abot hopping on a plane and going to TDR (like I did this past week) just so that I can enjoy the special treats they offer over there. If that is not commitment to enjoy Disney quality where it's at, I don't know what would be!

If you have preteens joining you I would go to WDW
    If they are 13 or older I would go to Tokyo.
    The older they are the more they would appreciate it. A trip to Tokyo shouldn't just be about the TDR. You should experience the city with a side trip to the TDR.

For example... I like to spend a few days in the city and then 3 days at the TDR.

I'm talking about meals to write home about. Didn't get any of those in TDR.
    Well, since you seem to be arguing your opinion about TDR's offering as a whole, that must mean you have tried everything. I think you forgot to mention that Queen of Hearts, Hokusai, Magellan's , Hana, Empire Grille, Oceano, Silk Road Garden, Sherwood Garden, Cana, etc. all are not worthy of writing home about.

Would it help if I listed a few places at WDW that aren't all that?

There was NOTHING in any TDR store featuring the Lion King, Cars, Mulan, or Pocahontas. Lots of Stitch though, I'll give you that. Much more selection and diversity of merchandise at WDW.
    Really? Do we want to start going down a list of movies and character merchandise that CAN'T be found at WDW too?

I can understand you having your own opinion, but I would guess many more people would agree more with mine.

Nothing at WDW is better than TDR you say. how about Hotel Pools yo!
    You are right. Hotel pools should always a top criteria when Disney fans are comparing Disney Parks and Resorts. We should also mention the bath towels at the Yacht and Beach Club are better than the one found at Mira Costa. But I counter that the room slippers and robes are much better at TDLH than any of the WDW resorts.

AND remember the big guy built WDW because he wanted to fix so many things that he felt he did wrong at Disneyland so DL can't be the quintessential Disney experience.
    Too bad many of the big guy's visions and dreams were NOT implemented the way he had in mind. Does anyone really know if he would have been satisfied with how WDW turned out? If someone does, please ask him about what he thinks about TDR.

I know, I know... You're dazzled by my brilliant arguments. It's OK, my husband has to deal with this all the time...
    I'm dazzled for sure... probably not for the same reason you think though!

SWEET LORD you guys,
    TDLFAN, I am the one that said WDW is the "perfect" resort. I put it in quotes because no resort is perfect but that one comes closest for me. AND I JUST GOT BACK FROM TDR!!! So it's NOT that I have never experienced anything but...
    I LOVE TDR. I think it's amazing. But the original poster wanted to be consoled about taking a vacation to WDW instead of TDR and you guys are making it sound like he's gonna visit some cut-rate "wally world" with broken down attractions and peeling paint.

If it comes down to 5,000-6,000 $ of savings, and you've never been to either park, I still say save a HEAP of cash and go to WDW and feel good about it. Geez, you're going to Walt Disney World, not spending your hard-earned cash for a week in the gulag....

If the $$ were exactly the same I would STILL pick WDW. Rodger, I did get to eat at Oceano and Queen of Hearts. They were both really nice. I do think Walt would not like some things about WDW, but there are other things he would absolutely be over the moon about like AKL and Animal Kingdom Park itself. That being said there were so many times at TDR I thought "Man if Walt could see his legacy in a totally different country he would be amazed, astounded, and just so proud." I Especially thought that about TDS. BUT there are things he also would not like about TDR like the fact that you can see things outside the parks from inside the parks, and I KNOW he would hate the fact that the monorail takes you behind the parks and let's you see the infrastructure.

All's I'm saying is that if someone is going to WDW they should be PSYCHED about it, not meant to feel like they are getting a consolation prize. You're right about one thing though, the question needs to be re-posted on the WDW board. The responses would show the other side of the coin.

Ahh, I just remembered something that WDW does do better than TDR. FIREWORKS! How did I forget that one???

OK, there's one. I'll keep thinking.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    Ahh, I just remembered something that WDW does do better than TDR. FIREWORKS! How did I forget that one???

OK, there's one. I'll keep thinking.
    I prefer Downtown Disney over ikspiari.. but lo and behold.. they don't sell Miley, Jonas Bros or Selena Gomez Cds in those TDR stores like they do at WDW's theme parks. At least at TDR, I can buy merchandise that is "park-specific" as opposed to generic crap that has the "Disney" name placed on it, be good or bad. Love those cellstraps that have charms of the many snacks they sell at TDR's park carts! Can't get more "park-specific than that! Or whimsical.. unless you are into KB-Toys quality stuff, which is exactly what they are selling at WDW stores now a days. Or maybe some people who dislike TDR's merchandise were not able to get a teeshirt that fit their size? Lucky for me, I fit in their japanese LL sizes! So, no, I don't have an issue with TDR's merchandise or the fact that you will not find the same food items in any two restaurants inside either park. Sue me if I happen to like "variety", truly epic and spectacular live shows and special events, top notch cleanliness and maintenance, and well staffed park venues. Oh, and CMs who look professional and are not bursting out of their costumes. THAT is the TDR difference.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

You're right about one thing though, the question needs to be re-posted on the WDW board. The responses would show the other side of the coin.
    I originally suggested that because I knew some would use this thread as an excuse to attack WDW, and give bias views on the Tokyo Disney Resort, and true to my prediction its happened. A true indication of how predictable some people can be around here

I think we should get back to the original topic and discuss and encourage bespinally to visit WDW and allow him to discover for himself his likes and dislikes, and not try and force our opinions down his throat, as chances are he probarely doesn't give a crap that WDW sells Hanna Montana CD's or not.

bespinally wants to know if visiting WDW is a mistake or not for his family once taking into account the cost. Lets keep to this and not turn this into another TDR vs WDW argument, as I don't believe first timers should be discourage from visiting, which is whats happening here

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I originally suggested that because I knew some would use this thread as an excuse to attack WDW, and give bias views on the Tokyo Disney Resort, and true to my prediction its happened. A true indication of how predictable some people can be around here

I think we should get back to the original topic and discuss and encourage bespinally to visit WDW and allow him to discover for himself his likes and dislikes, and not try and force our opinions down his throat, as chances are he probarely doesn't give a crap that WDW sells Hanna Montana CD's or not.

bespinally wants to know if visiting WDW is a mistake or not for his family once taking into account the cost. Lets keep to this and not turn this into another TDR vs WDW argument, as I don't believe first timers should be discourage from visiting, which is whats happening here
    Hi,
    Im back again with an update. First of all I really enjoy reading these types of discussions including positive and negative views, because it allows me to get hyped up and also have a realistic grounded view of what it might really be like in both places. I posted a similar question in the WDW board and I got some really great heart felt replies in favor of WDW. My interest in WDW has really grown in the past few weeks.

Now though at the risk of being labeled as fickle let me tell you that my plans are still evolving. Living in Hawaii with a wife and 3 kids....making travel plans can be extremely difficult and frustrating. For one, the airlines are really cruel to us, and I live on the remote Big Island of Hawaii....I know I should be grateful, and I am (PS if anyone needs a tour please email me/Id be happy to exchange information or show someone around especially given all the help and support I have received from this board).

Second I have a full time job, with vacation benefits, but after I priced the WDW vacation and found a great deal with the Kids Stay and Play Free and a really good price for the plane ($560 each) my boss took 2 weeks to approve my request, and the tickets went up to $725 each. Now multiply the difference by 5 and that translates to a difference of $800. I am not willing to spend an extra $800 from what I had originally planned. It would probably be a good deal still, but call me stubborn.

Now this has brought me back to my original plan to attend the TDR for 4-5 days during a 2 week visit to the grand city of Tokyo from november 10-24.

I was trying to save money and take a vacation sooner, but my true dream is to take my family to Tokyo....and yes visit the reputed best disney park and resort. I have been studying japanese (via Rosetta Stone and Nintendo DS) for about one year. Also Hawaii is a predominantly Asian culture with a huge Japanese influence, so we are very interested in many aspects of visiting Japan.

We intend to go to the Ghibli Museum, eat noodles from a vending machine, visit bath houses (respectable ones), and stay in ryukan, my wife even has some business ideas regarding a handmade Hawaiian style Hanafuda card set.

Ironically though, I became so psyched about the scale and unique elements of WDW from reading the various posts, that I am now a little disappointed and having to repsych myself for TDR (dont worry TDLfan I know it will be great for me and my kids).

Ultimately the reason I began this mission 8 months ago of saving to go to Tokyo was because I was a little disappointed with DLR in California (June 09). I missed the MSEP/DEP, as well as Fantasmic because of going early.

This time I wanted my family to experience the immersive magic and joy that I experience when I was in WDW in 1991 with my dad. DLR and DCA was great but it fell short for me in many ways, so I figured Id skip straight to the top and go the best in the world. So now I have to save for another 6 months and try to wait....

Sorry for the looooong post....but again thanks for everyones input. I intend to take my kids to each Disney park in the world before theyre full grown. I will be posting here occasionally so please feel free to add me as a friend or email me.

thanks again and aloha
    Cedar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast