Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Day 4: Disneyland At Last!

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    At precisely 3pm, we all dashed through the gates (which must've looked pretty silly to those standing around inside)
    That's only because they know that wasting money on a "after pm" pass is silly. can't do anything on crowded days, but shop around, unless you are willing to stand in 3 hr lines for popular rides that ran out of fastpass at 11am.

Say what you will about Tokyo's covered version of Main Street, but one thing it has all over the ones in the US is actual, working side streets that actually get you places—in this case, directly into Tomorrowland and directly in front of Monsters, Inc.! None of this long-way-round-the-barn stuff you have to do to get to Tomorrowland in Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom.
    But World bazaar has one more thing over the Main Streets in the US.. It's cleaner and have more shops and restaurants, with fabulous menus to choose from.
    However, I was still so out-of-it, I didn't even realize these were doors until, like, yesterday.
    And obviously, with all that wasted time in line, you still did not see the hidden mickey on that same doors mural? Sheesh!

When I finally put my camera down, I had a great time! The ride is of course way better than the one in California Adventure, but I wish they didn't whip you through it so fast—I'd love to be able to really absorb all that detail. I will also never again wait 2 hours and 15 minutes to ride it, because, great theming or no, it's still just a Fantasyland-style dark ride, not an E-Ticket.
    I disagree. Fantasyland rides are "C" tickets. This is a "D" ticket ride that honestly, is a step above comparable experiences, like the cardboard heavy Astroblasters at all other DL parks, Including TDL. Also, with the new enhancements the ride underwent, it's an even better show experience. I have not been on the DCA version, so I can't compare but knowing how they do things here... I am not surprised if DCA's is inferior. I guess it would match the overall quality of that park well. In regards to being 'whipped through so fast..." well, if they did not do that, you would have been standing in line 5 hrs, but also, if you had put down the camera and had made a point of actually enjoying the ride, it would have probably felt much longer.
    I wish they sold that poster
    Well, they do sell (or used to?) the postcard collection recreating the posters in the queue, which I bough when the ride first opened.

I am not really that into popcorn, and the idea of spending upwards of ¥1500 on an otherwise useless plastic bucket sounded pretty silly to me.
    Useless? Did you know you can refill your popcorn bucket for only 500 yen anywhere in the TDR parks as often as necesary?? ..and you should see my collection of popcorn buckets from TDR... I have over 100 of them..dating back 15 years.

I decided that anyone who says you don't need to spend a lot of time in Tokyo Disneyland because it's just like the Magic Kingdom is nuts. It’s like Bizarro Magic Kingdom—nothing's in quite the same place and everything seems just a little off what you remember, kind of like when you dream about a place you've been. You start walking toward the castle, but it takes you twice as long to get there and you have to dodge around a fence behind the Partners statue.
    Ok, I gotta take issue with the "bizarro" statement. There is nothing bizarre about TDL. All DL parks in the World are meant to be different, yet familiar to the core product. They all have unique atmospheres among the familiarity of it all. I don't find that to be bizarre at all. Bizarre is seeing oversized guests in their 40s wheeling themselves around the WDW MK on scooter chairs because they are so fat they can't walk, or seeing teenagers in strollers getting fat by the minute eating the same old hamburgers that are sold in all restaurants at WDW's parks. Now those are things you will not see at TDR.
    I am somehow disappointed that so far in your picture and comment intensive reports, you have not commented on what sets TDR apart and why I think it deserves praise.. things that guests do not feel they are paying for, such as the cleanliness of the park under crowded conditions, crowd control, park staffing levels, gardening, the fact that no two restaurants at TDL feature the same menu, etc etc etc... That is the kind of commentary that would make for a truly satisfying report, intead of offering a travelodge of the park at face value. Nothing wrong with that since many here have never been nor will they ever go, so this is their next best option.. but I really want to know more of your opinions on what your perception of quality was while at TDR.

name his twin brother's name features at WDW's MK.
    The décor is turn-of-the-century American but the cuisine is vaguely Italian. I guess it's sort of comparable to Tony's at the Magic Kingdom, but with more windows and less grease!
    Hardly. I have eaten at both. Tony's at the MK *IS* a grease spoon. The Eastside Cafe is not.

Another thing they do at the Tokyo parks that I love is sell souvenir desserts in real "china" mugs and plates at shockingly reasonable prices!

Not to mention, the food itself is presented professionally and impeccably artful. THAT is the Tokyo difference, and when you highlight those differences, you soar. Great TP installment.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 05-16-2010 at 10:58 PM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

re: Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Bonus Day @ Disney + Trip Finally Ends!!!

I was also impressed enough with the CMs costumes to take two blurry photos of them for you:
    I have a great Mickey plush at home wearing that costume. Unfortunately it was only available for a limited time.

I will also never again wait 2 hours and 15 minutes to ride it, because, great theming or no, it's still just a Fantasyland-style dark ride, not an E-Ticket.
    Sorry I am going to completely disagree with you here. By refering to it as a Fantasyland dark ride you are putting in the same league as Peter Pan, Snow White or Pinochio. Monsters Inc is much more than flat sets and immobile Character statues. How many Fantasyland dark rides do you know that have real working AA's and impressive sets on the scale of the buildings found along Main Street. And 2 hours and 15 munites is less than the original waiting time. People should bare that in mind as not all waiting times are accurate.

OK, you totally can't tell in this underexposed shot, but believe me, the boarding area for Tokyo's Star Tours is far more impressive than the ones in the US.
    Star Tours is a bit of a dark horse at the park. Everyone chooses to skip it thinking its the same as other versions. These people are missing out on the queue, which is very different to the other three attractions.

Even crazier, half of the shop is a huge room filled with nothing but rows and rows of cash registers, each with a huge queue of people waiting to pay!
    I bet this was quite the eye opener for you seeing so many cash registers opened. The fact shelves were left empty is really a poor show on OLC's part. The poor Cast Members were unable to keep up with demand, and far too many people in the shop. Does Japan not have restictions on capacity for buildings?

Coming up next: Another jammy-packed day of sightseeing in Tokyo (but then it's back to Disney!)
    Can't wait.
    Last edited by Malin; 05-17-2010 at 06:03 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Lurkyloo, I love your sense of humor in this report. Thanks for some of the interior shots of attractions and restaurants.

I've got to ask, has anybody tried those Monsters Inc sweet rolls? They're blue! What do they actually taste like though? I would go on a food binge if I was there...buying all the seasonal treats like that, and trying each flavor of popcorn...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

That Thinkway Toy Story RC car is $70-80 in the states.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• You have much to learn...

I've had the Monsters Inc roll- it's a little hard to explain, but, for me- at least- I don't recall it being too thrilling- sort of like just plain cake rolled in cream-It's been a while since I've had it- I was more into getting the plate than the cake itself.

It all depends on individual tastes- but to me, many of the desserts look great & are very unique and very artistically detailed- but basically don't seem as sweet to me, as what I've had outside of Japan. Some may disagree with me- but I'm not much of a dessert person anyway.

I tried a Sweet Bean Mike in Tomorrowland once & that was really strange- it had the texutre of eating wallpaper paste (not that I've actually have eaten any)- with a sweet bean flavor- some things can be very deceiving till you've tried them.

But basically- I've enjoyed most of the different foods I've tried in TDR.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Lurkyloo, I love your sense of humor in this report. Thanks for some of the interior shots of attractions and restaurants.

I've got to ask, has anybody tried those Monsters Inc sweet rolls? They're blue! What do they actually taste like though? I would go on a food binge if I was there...buying all the seasonal treats like that, and trying each flavor of popcorn...
    yes, i have tried all of those snacks for collecting purposes since I have a huge collection of those cups and plates from the past years. If i recall, those Monsters blue cakes are blueberry and they are good good good, just like all those snacks are.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    thanks for what has got to be the most photos posted of TDL around here. awesome. I've never seen the extended queues they have for star tours and the inside photos of Monsters Inc were great! best TDR trip report ever
    Hey, thanks! I think the queue for Star Tours is an attraction in itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    People should bare that in mind as not all waiting times are accurate.
    One of Patrick's pals has been to TDR a lot, and his theory is that the waiting time is usually about half what's posted. Has this been your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I've got to ask, has anybody tried those Monsters Inc sweet rolls? They're blue! What do they actually taste like though?
    I agree with jedimater7313 - it doesn't taste like much of anything! I was worried it would be fruity b/c I hate fruit desserts, but it was just sorta like sponge cake with whipped cream. But I had to have the adorable plate it came on!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    That Thinkway Toy Story RC car is $70-80 in the states.
    Whoa. Good thing I didn't waste my time and money trying to bring it back with me!

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    It all depends on individual tastes- but to me, many of the desserts look great & are very unique and very artistically detailed- but basically don't seem as sweet to me, as what I've had outside of Japan. Some may disagree with me- but I'm not much of a dessert person anyway.
    Exactly! I'm sure it's just that I'm an American and have sugar running through my veins, but most of the Western-style desserts I tried in Japan were all looks and no flavor. I was OK with that, because gawd knows I was using up enough of my daily calorie limit on savory snacks!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

One of Patrick's pals has been to TDR a lot, and his theory is that the waiting time is usually about half what's posted. Has this been your experience?
    Often that has been the case yeah. I wouldn't say thats always the case, but always in my experience, wait times have been posted inaccurate. I did once ride Splash Mountain though and the line posted a 90 minute wait and it was 90 minutes. Although for Splash Mountain 90 minutes is so worth the wait.

• You have much to learn...

Tokyo Disney wait times seem to consider the time actually spent on the attraction as well- basically from when you enter the line- till you get off and exit the building. In most cases I've always waited on lines much less than posted. I never really have had a problem with Monsters Inc- while most say- run to grab a fastpass at park opening- I say, run for the attraction, where most likely the wait times can be 30-60 minutes by the time you get there. At times the fastpass line is longer than the attraction line.

I've always been lucky and have waited about 30-50 min in the morning- rode the ride, then walked over to the fastpass & got a return time for the end of the day.

But this is just my opinion & may not work out on really busy days & weekends.

But in general, most waits are slightly lower than what has been posted.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Please post more soon!
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• M's mommy

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Please post more soon!

Yes! I love your trip report.

• Banned User

More... More... I need MORE....

I somehow feel as if I am in Tokyo Disneyland right now--I love it! Thanks!

this will probably be the best TR ever made.

• Established 2005

I miss japan/tdr!!! Must get back sooooooooooooooooon!

Re: Day 4: Disneyland At Last!

Bizarro doesn't mean bizarre er se, it's just (as in the Superman comics) a world askew.

It's always compared to what you are used to - like when you walk out of Disneyland/Magic Kingdom and find a "C A L I F O R N I A" or a lake when half expecting the other. Or when you find BTMRR and HM sort of flip-flopped. I experienced the same sort of feeling in DLP - very dreamlike actually where things were just "differrent."

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Ok, I gotta take issue with the "bizarro" statement. There is nothing bizarre about TDL. All DL parks in the World are meant to be different, yet familiar to the core product. They all have unique atmospheres among the familiarity of it all. I don't find that to be bizarre at all. Bizarre is seeing oversized guests in their 40s wheeling themselves around the WDW MK on scooter chairs because they are so fat they can't walk, or seeing teenagers in strollers getting fat by the minute eating the same old hamburgers that are sold in all restaurants at WDW's parks. Now those are things you will not see at TDR.
    I am somehow disappointed that so far in your picture and comment intensive reports, you have not commented on what sets TDR apart and why I think it deserves praise.. things that guests do not feel they are paying for, such as the cleanliness of the park under crowded conditions, crowd control, park staffing levels, gardening, the fact that no two restaurants at TDL feature the same menu, etc etc etc... That is the kind of commentary that would make for a truly satisfying report, intead of offering a travelodge of the park at face value. Nothing wrong with that since many here have never been nor will they ever go, so this is their next best option.. but I really want to know more of your opinions on what your perception of quality was while at TDR.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast