Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72229303132

•   
    • Kerplookee

re: Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Bonus Day @ Disney + Trip Finally Ends!!!

I didn't want this TR to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

re: Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Bonus Day @ Disney + Trip Finally Ends!!!

Best TR ever!

I was so inspired that I made my DH read it, and we are now booked for 2 weeks in Japan in April next year.

We are planning 4 days in TDR. One query -did you feel that 3 nights at the resort was enough, or would 4 have been better. I am thinking that if we arrive late afternoon we could go to Zed and look around the area, then be there at park opening the next day. We want to do 2 days a TDL and 2 at TDS.
    Visited DLR 1976,1978,1991,2001,2007, 2011; WDW 1976,1985: DLRP 2010

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Re: Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Bonus Day @ Disney + Trip Finally Ends!!!

WAH! It's already over? Lookyloo, have you more threads for us readers to read about?

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    Hey, thanks for reading! Sorry about all the photos. Next time we'll try the minimal approach.
    That's not what I was saying, at all. I loved all the pics. Just that having so many per page was difficult for my computer. But never mind that, you post whichever way works best for you
    Down with the Hat

I'm so sad to have made it to the end!

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to do this
    Next trip September 2013

Past trips:
    May 2010 TDL and DisneySea
    September 2006 TDL and DisneySea

Dec 2005 DL
    June 2003 DL
    Dec 2002 WDW
    April 2002 DLP
    Dec 2001 DL
    Nov 2000 WDW
    Oct 2000 DL
    Oct 1997 WDW
    April 1994 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    Sorry I was late, due the Mayan Invasion and the fact I that I became a werewolf briefly in order to save Disneyland from the Zombie Apocalypse, circa 2055 , etc. Thank You very much, I hope you do another one like this(not as stressful, mind you.) It seems the world is OK and that the Sky has not fallin...WAIT! IS THAT A PIECE OF THE SKY FALLING!?!?! LOOK OUTSIDE! ( )

TiMeKeEpEr
    Well I'm just glad you showed up! I have two other trip reports going at the moment, though they're both for WDW... and we know how *some* people around here feel about WDW...

A Very Lurky Christmas: Holiday at Bay Lake Tower... of TERROR!

Trick or Tweet! The Lurkyloos Do Food & Wine, Harry Potter, D23 & MNSSHP @ WDW & DL!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck44 View Post
    I didn't want this TR to end.
    Me neither. Except for the writing it part. I'm glad that's over!

Quote Originally Posted by tell-no-tales View Post
    Best TR ever!

I was so inspired that I made my DH read it, and we are now booked for 2 weeks in Japan in April next year.

We are planning 4 days in TDR. One query -did you feel that 3 nights at the resort was enough, or would 4 have been better. I am thinking that if we arrive late afternoon we could go to Zed and look around the area, then be there at park opening the next day. We want to do 2 days a TDL and 2 at TDS.
    Wow - congrats on the Japan trip! I think 4 nights would be better. We were there 4 nights and it still didn't feel like enough, but we also were hampered by the long lines and sold-out FASTPASSes of Top Season. Maybe if it had been Value Season we'd have covered more ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    WAH! It's already over? Lookyloo, have you more threads for us readers to read about?
    Yes! Most of my trip reports are at Disney Travel Babble - I think I have 5 up now.

The other two are on the DIS Boards:

Return to the Scene of the Crime: The Lurkyloos’ First Anniversary at WDW

Wedding Crasher: Lurkyloo’s 4 Parties in 3 Nights with 2 Cameras and 1 Fabulous Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    That's not what I was saying, at all. I loved all the pics. Just that having so many per page was difficult for my computer. But never mind that, you post whichever way works best for you
    Oh good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellywil View Post
    I'm so sad to have made it to the end!

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to do this
    Thank you so much for reading it! I'm glad to know there was an interest.

•   
    • Minion

Awesome pictures and report thanks for sharing!

• Former Epcot CM

I do hate to use this far over-used term, but this trip report was epic. If MiceChat ever sets up a Trip Report Hall of Fame, this should be an inaugural entry. The detail, the information, the sheer amount of photos and documentation, the creativity, the humour, the warm writing - it's what trip report writers should use as guidelines.

I've been reading this thing from start to finish for the past four days, in between writing a 2,500 word essay. I would write some essay, and reward myself by reading a few segments of the trip. Today I finished my essay but I also finished the report I cannot wait to read your forthcoming ones.

It was very interesting to read a Tokyo trip report from an unfamiliar name. We can get used to reading the same kind of things on this board as not many people from here go to Japan, so we are only subjected to the same opinions and viewpoints from the same people. It was an utter breath of fresh air to read How to Do Tokyo Disney and Tokyo from a completely new voice and viewpoint.

Hurrah hurrah hurrah.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    ...It was very interesting to read a Tokyo trip report from an unfamiliar name. We can get used to reading the same kind of things on this board as not many people from here go to Japan, so we are only subjected to the same opinions and viewpoints from the same people. It was an utter breath of fresh air to read How to Do Tokyo Disney and Tokyo from a completely new voice and viewpoint.

Hurrah hurrah hurrah...
    Oh, I think Lurkyloo's name is pretty well established. Her name's only "unfamiliar" because she doesn't post as much about things that are not praise for her trip report or costume design, like "thank you" when people spend an hour in a photo editor translating information to directly answer her specific questions.

Sorry, but your tone really hit a nerve with me. I genuinely appreciate this fantastic trip report and I do think it is easily the best ever, hands down. But what you said felt like a backhanded slap in the face to people who post regularly in this community and I don't think that's fair. Go ahead, flame away. I can take it.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Oh, I think Lurkyloo's name is pretty well established. Her name's only "unfamiliar" because she doesn't post as much about things that are not praise for her trip report or costume design, like "thank you" when people spend an hour in a photo editor translating information to directly answer her specific questions.

Sorry, but your tone really hit a nerve with me. I genuinely appreciate this fantastic trip report and I do think it is easily the best ever, hands down. But what you said felt like a backhanded slap in the face to people who post regularly in this community and I don't think that's fair. Go ahead, flame away. I can take it.
    I have no idea how to respond to this. Whatsoever. Who am I insulting, can you just clarify? Lurkyloo? Everyone else on MiceChat? You? I'm completely, entirely, overwhelmingly flabbergasted. Can someone else please point out to me what on earth in my post was insulting, to anyone?

Hmm. Let me go and pull some quotes from my original quote.

"I do hate to use this far over-used term, but this trip report was epic."

"If MiceChat ever sets up a Trip Report Hall of Fame, this should be an inaugural entry."

"The detail, the information, the sheer amount of photos and documentation, the creativity, the humour, the warm writing - it's what trip report writers should use as guidelines."

Wow. The venom practically drips from my words!

I have no idea what you're trying to suggest. Are you annoyed because Lurkyloo is getting so much praise, and you think other trip reporters don't get enough attention? The reason I responded so well to Lurkyloo's trip, and I won't speak for anyone else, is because I have never visited TDR yet when I do I plan to have a very similar experience to her's. Her enthusiasm was palpable, and the look at the resort and Japan through brand new eyes who have never seen it before was a complete breath of fresh air. I love the regular reports on Tokyo on this forum, we need more, but it's completely natural when you're a regular visitor to anywhere to lose some of your initial enthusiasm.

I honestly can't think of anything more else to say.

Are you a troll? Did you intend to wind me up, or offend me? If you did, it worked. Hurrah.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Sad Re: Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Bonus Day @ Disney + Trip Finally Ends!!!

No, I'm not a troll. No, I didn't intend to wind you up or offend you.

Yes, I think Lurkyloo's enthusiasm was great, but I don't think everyone else who posts here is "subjecting" the boards to their stagnant perspectives or creating an "unenthusiastic" environment. That's what it sounded like you were implying (to me) and I didn't think it was faiir.

I guess especially since Lurkyloo's posts on the Tokyo board seem limited primarily to responding to cheers from "fans," I thought your comment dismissing regular posters as "same old, same old" was unnecessary and mean-spirited. I become more convinced of that the more you speak.

But I also become more convinced that I shouldn't have made an issue out of your enthusiasm for Lurkyloo. I hear how it sounds. It sounds like "sour grapes" or something, and that's not the thing. I genuinely believe that MiceChat is better because Lurkyloo posted here. In fact, I think with such a shortage of information in English about TDR, her report benefits people all over the web (especially with such amazing photos!), as evidenced by its view count.

I just think a community stops being a community when one voice is considered universally more important or more interesting than the rest, intentionally or not. I love this community and I thought it was worth mentioning. I had actually already been concerned about this, but your post seemed to cross a line from praise for one person to actually devaluing the rest.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-02-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Before, I felt the need to really explain myself in detail, as if that could help. Mistake corrected.

• Former Epcot CM

Er... right.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Thumbs up Re: Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Bonus Day @ Disney + Trip Finally Ends!!!

Thanks lurkyloo
    This was a great trip report. We just got back from 9 nights in Japan (6 Tokyo/2 Kyoto and 1 Disney) and loved it. Reading your post (recommended by a friend) was really inspiring and gave me a bunch of ideas on how to plan my trip. My wife would ask me during our various adventures if "Did lurky do this?"
    Invariably the answer was yes
    I was re-reading your report to help relive my trip and see what things we might have missed - so I figured I would pipe up with my gratitude and contribute a couple of thoughts (in random order).
    1) The Airport Limousine Bus counter at Narita (Terminal 1) did take my credit card (AMEX). Since it went straight to our hotel (Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku) it was a snap in terms of ease of getting there, but a 2 1/2 hour ride due to the traffic.

2) We had time the day we left to nip into TDL - We enjoyed the Honey popcorn we found outside Pooh's Hunny Hunt. We also enjoyed the Curry popcorn we found by Sinbad's ride at TDS. The crowd's did not seem that bad, but the ride line's were crazy.

3) Since we had planned the trip to Kyoto from the start we were able to make use of the JR Rail Pass, going up to Nikko with it and also traveling all over Tokyo as well. The train travel was a pleasure with one minor snafu - we gave ourselves over an hour to get from Shinjuku to Shinagawa station to take the Shinkansen to Kyoto (the JR agent at Narita thought it would be easier for us to find the right track in Shinagawa than Tokyo station). There was a "protest" that disrupted the rail service. I had gone through the Pimsleur Japanese CD set (just like lurky but it was clear that the announcement of the service disruption was way past lesson 16! Fortunately I found a French guy who gave me the translation, and then agreed that a taxi was a better idea. And even more fortunately we got a cab driver who likely enjoyed the drama of racing from Harajuku to get us to Shinagawa just as the train was pulling up to the platform. I think he took it as a challenge to get us there on time and he rose to the challenge.

4) Loved loved loved Yodobashi store in Akihabara. The prices for watches (what I wanted to buy) were not worth it but the merchandise and the smiling helpful employees made it a great place to visit.

5) We were on a Domo-quest.We ended up getting a very helpful map from a very helpful agent at the Tokyo Tourist Information Center in the Tokyo Metropolitan Main Building by the hotel. (I know - If I had done a better job of memorizing your post I would have already known to look in the Tokyo Character Street mall in Tokyo Station, but I had a good excuse at the time! The observation deck on the 45th floor was a fun thing to do (free) and they have a bunch of shops there and a nice looking cafe.
    On the second floor is the Japan Prefecture office which has information about other places in Japan (outside of Tokyo!)

6) Walking around Kyoto just south of the main Gion area, we came across a place (Wa-Qu Kyoto) that sells some interesting Disney related stuff. It was right by Ryozen Kwannon Temply. The address seems to be 463-29 Shimokawara-cho, Shimokawara Dori, Yasaka Torii-mae-sagaru, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto

7) After we left Yodobashi (reluctantly) we headed to Ueno park to the National Museum. On the way we stumbled across a really cute little Art Gallery called Studio Uamou and restaurant (Boo Cafe) literally under the JR rail tracks. What caught our attention were the little dolls that reminded us of Vinylmations decorating the window. This is the link to the merchandise.
    The artist who created the characters took some time to talk with us and everyone in the store/cafe made us feel very welcome.
    The owners were very nice and hospitable - and we enjoyed our lunch - very tasty Japanese Curry Beef and spaghetti with red sauce. If you poke around the web site you can find that they sell the figures in stores all over the world. I have no connection to this - we had such a positive experience shopping/eating there that I figured I would mention it.

8) And lastly - while we were walking around Disneysea we saw all these people staring at a rock wall adjacent to the Mediterranean Harbor on the way to Mysterious Island (with Mermaid Lagoon on the other side of the wall).
    Is this supposed to be a Hidden Mickey?
    Hmm - it's late and I have to figure out how to put the picture in.

Again - Thanks lurkyloo for the details and inspiration!

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72229303132