Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast

• Banned User

re: Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Bonus Day @ Disney + Trip Finally Ends!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I'm easily pleased!!
    We've heard.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Once again a fantastic Trip Report so far, easily the best Japan Trip Report, I think I've ever read here on MiceChat or any Disney Board for that matter. I wish I had the ability to write Trip Reports of this standard.

What your trip illustates to me is that despite how many times I've visited the city, I have actually seen very little. One day possibly next year I'm going to have to take a two to three week vacation and just go out and explore this amazing city.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Disney Night Owl

Wowee wow, I am loving this TR!
    Being a Miyazaki fanatic, I wish I could jump through the picture and grab all that merch! Sorry to hear the Ghibli museum disappointed on the collectibles factor. I somewhat noticed that from random pictures I've seen, but the museum itself obviously looks incredible.

I can't wait for more! Thanks for sharing your incredible trip.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• A Little Rabid

Call me a little strange, but I LOVE when trip and photo reports include shots of a McDonalds! I've told myself the first thing I'd eat after hopping off from a plane in Japan is eat at the golden arches, primarily for their shrimp filet burgers. I find the international differences really interesting - I've eaten spaghetti at Mickey D's in the Philippines every time I visit.

Oh, and I'd really like to visit a Mos Burger too. Rice instead of bread buns? Yes, please! I'm kind of a foodie, heh heh!

Can't wait for the next segments. And elastic headbands in the hotel rooms? That's great! Sometimes when I travel I forget to bring something to hold my hair in place (short locks) while I wash my face and brush my teeth. Really ingenious!
    I lurk.

wow this is a really great trip report! so you were alone that whole time showed in part two?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.--Albert Einstein

• Minion

Re: Day 2

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    Until a few weeks ago, Tokyo Midtown was home to the tallest *building* in Tokyo (the tallest *structure* being Tokyo Tower – apparently there’s a difference), Midtown Tower. While we were in town, both were surpassed by a new skyscraper, Tokyo Sky Tree, which will actually be nearly twice as tall as Tokyo Tower when it’s done. Crazy! I briefly considered going up to the restaurant in the Ritz inside Midtown Tower to see the view, but I didn’t want to have to pay $40 for tea. Plus, Patrick woulda killed me if I’d gone without him!
    Lurkyloo, Midtown tower is still considered the tallest habitable building in Tokyo municipality (according to the traditional method of measuring building heights, anyway...nowadays there are actually four different ways of calculating height).

Habitable buildings are considered separate from observation towers like Tokyo SKy Tree and the older Tokyo Tower. If you consider the Tokyo metropolitan area as a whole, and not just the municipality, then the tallest habitable building is the splendid Landmark Tower in Yokohama.

All that being said, Tokyo Sky Tree is a magnificent structure and will become my favorite observation tower in the world once complete (previously, I liked the CN Tower in Toronto best). I have been following the construction of Sky Tree on architecture forums (another area of interest to me) and it has been going up at a very rapid pace. It was supposed to be complete in 2012 but I hold out a slim hope that it might be complete by the time I might get to visit next year, given the rapid rate of construction.
    Down with the Hat

• You have much to learn...

I'm enjoying your photos of the other areas of the city that I don't get a chance to visit as much- I go each year, but my traveling companion only wants to visit the parks & I usually have to beg to visit Tokyo or go on some tour.

I've been to Mt Fuji/Hakone, Tokyo and Nikko/Kegon waterfalls. I still have to get to Kyoto some day and really want to visit Universal Studios & the surrounding areas.

I've been to 2 different Mitsukoshi's in Japan & am looking forward to your reports on them as well. I still want to get back to Ueno to see the Panda Bears some day- they weren't out the one day I was there- so didn't bother even going into the zoo.

I'm still fascinated about the subways & how clean they are compared to what I have to deal with in New York- and just how many shops are in the larger stations. But navigating them is very difficult- I think I pop out of a different exit each time I go to Tokyo Station.

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    I still want to get back to Ueno to see the Panda Bears some day- they weren't out the one day I was there- so didn't bother even going into the zoo.
    At the moment they don't have any Pandas. Ling Ling died a few weeks after we saw him in 2008. He was looking pretty old, poor thing. The good news is that China has agreed to loan another male and female panda, however I'm not sure of the time frame. Ueno Park is a big favorite of mine. The zoo, museums, the shrines, strange hobo cat (!) I lucked out and saw the cherry blossom there (not planned) Plus there is a very cool toy/collectible shop across from Ueno station.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousekiteer View Post
    Call me a little strange, but I LOVE when trip and photo reports include shots of a McDonalds!
    That was the only place were I had real communication issues. Even with a picture menu!! My son made me go (honest) I did end up with a very peculiar burger, I wish I could remember what it was. It seemed to be something special for the cherry blossom season. My son thought the chicken nuggets were way better than the ones in US. Everything tastes better on vacation though, so who knows!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40899259@N04/4538387296/
    Last edited by ReggieB; 04-20-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Found photo of said burger!

• Disneyland Man

Yes, yes, LOVING your trip report! It started off with excellent info for the novice and has been full of delightful details ever since. Lots of fun even before reaching Disney.
    I had to have those toilet seats after my first trip; now it's unpleasant to use regular ones. I just learned of the Tokyo Sky Tree from you!! And couldn't agree more about that second room you got, yuck, just the lighting alone- 10th floor must be much better. The chocolate desserts everywhere are enough reason to love Tokyo. THANX.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Call me a little strange, but I LOVE when trip and photo reports include shots of a McDonalds! I've told myself the first thing I'd eat after hopping off from a plane in Japan is eat at the golden arches, primarily for their shrimp filet burgers.
    I don't live anywhere near a Mcdonalds, so the only time I get to have them is on vacation. Recently tried the limited edition California Burger in Japan, very nice.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• You have much to learn...

I haven't tried going back to the zoo since 2007- I never realized one of the Panda's had died.

I've been to the Toy store in Ueno a few times & it's one of my favorites.

Malin, although I've never been to the UK- Are there very many McDonalds there? I've seen a few British families both in NY and Florida that go crazy over McDonalds since they say value meals cost them like $15-$20 USD and it's less than $6-$7 here.

I still have to try a McDonalds the next time I'm in Japan though- I mean to each time I've gone to see what's different about it, just have never actually went to one.

I've also tried the Hard Rock Cafe in Japan since I don't eat seafood at all & that makes up a big part of Japan's menu's- but that to me didn't taste that good either. But I do absolutley love just about anything else I've tried in TDR- with the exception of the Rainforest.

I have a craving for some of their crackers and chips that I used to buy in the convenience shops in Japan- I love the fact that they opened up a 24 hour convenience store at the Hilton in Tokyo Bay- I shop there just about every night for late night snacks.

• A Little Rabid

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    That was the only place were I had real communication issues. Even with a picture menu!! My son made me go (honest) I did end up with a very peculiar burger, I wish I could remember what it was. It seemed to be something special for the cherry blossom season. My son thought the chicken nuggets were way better than the ones in US. Everything tastes better on vacation though, so who knows!!

McDsTokyo on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I don't live anywhere near a Mcdonalds, so the only time I get to have them is on vacation. Recently tried the limited edition California Burger in Japan, very nice.
    This is why I think I'd be pretty adjusted over in Japan - we're crazy for seasonal food offerings and flavors considered a bit crazy to us Westerners.

I think the only thing I wouldn't try over there is octopus ice cream.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9HbI2LkVkw"]YouTube - Life In Tokyo: Vlog #28 Ice Cream City Part 1[/ame]
    I lurk.

Oh man, that key card - light switch thing brings back memories. My friend and I spent several minutes wondering why our HKDL hotel room had not electricity and were about to go back to the lobby to ask for another room before we noticed it and figured it out.

Thanks for taking us on this adventure with you. I appreciate the detailsm and you seem like really fun people...I cant believe how clean Japan is! Is it becuase you are in tourist areas or is Japan generally that clean over all?
    Jewish American Disney Princess

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast