Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Is Duffy ruining Cape Cod

Now before I start I have nothing against Duffy and I'm happy to see Tokyo DisneySea has found a merchandise line that makes them money, but for me its coming at a cost to the Cape Cod area of the American Waterfront. Cape Cod was once one of the best areas of the park with its calm atsmophere, and lack of crowds. A great area to relax and escape the hustle and bustle of the park. Now since the area has been taken over by that Bear, we see long lines everywhere and he's even taken over the popular Donald's Boat Builders show. As a theme park operator I guess its good OLC have found something to pull the crowds over to this area of the park, but as a Disney fan, I'm starting to miss the original Cape Cod, which is now just a mini Duffy Land. Anyone else starting to get sour over this situation?

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: Is Duffy ruining Cape Cod

The way I see it, how can something bringing so much joy and happiness to thousand and also being a financial success for OLC be "ruining" Cape Cod?

Also, people should not be given the false impression that the Cape Cod area is now always a packed and crazy location.

Just a few weeks back, I was strollig through a quiet non-crowded Cape Cod. Not a long line or massive crowd to be found. I was able to easily get into the new Duffy show twice, both times with minimal waiting. Cape Cod looked and felt like it has in thhe past with the obvious exceptions of the merchandise and show theme.

This is a first hand personal account, not one just based on what has been read on the intenet.

• Banned User

The way I see it, how can something bringing so much joy and happiness to thousand and also being a financial success for OLC be "ruining" Cape Cod?
    Its ruining the atsmophere that this little pact of land once had. Nothing against Duffy or how thousands of adults spend they money, but I'm kind of old school and I miss the old Cape Cod. The area that was once just something most people passed on the journey from the American Waterfront to Port Discovery. It use to be a charming and very sweet place to chill out, but now days its swamped with Duffy Fans wanting merchandise and autographs. Just one guy's opinion but I just want it back the way it was, before Duffy and his fans came along.

Also, people should not be given the false impression that the Cape Cod area is now always a packed and crazy location.

Just a few weeks back, I was strollig through a quiet non-crowded Cape Cod. Not a long line or massive crowd to be found. I was able to easily get into the new Duffy show twice, both times with minimal waiting. Cape Cod looked and felt like it has in thhe past with the obvious exceptions of the merchandise and show theme.
    So how packed was the rest of the Resort, because many have commented on how quiet both parks have been since Spring Break ended. And many are refering to April as the new off season. If your going to comment on how quiet Cape Cod was during your trip than atleast give us an impression of how busy the crowds were over all?

During my recent trip, crowds were out of control in this area with lines snaking all the way over to Port Discovery, and that was before the new Duffy show started, which many people seem to have a mix response too!

• Loves Mickey!

I don't think Duffy ruins Cape Cod in general. I do think the show is too obvious and it isn't popular which makes it less appealing then it already is and the walk around character design now does not look that good. I like how they are solving the long wait in line by giving out tickets which is good. The super long lines are usually just the first few days of a new release so I don't mind it because there are still lots quiet days.

• You have much to learn...

I don't think Duffy is really ruining Cape Cod either- I am surprised at just how much more his popularity grows each year. I originally thought Shellie was overkill- but they seem to be doing well with her from a business viewpoint.

The one thing that has changed is the crowds due to the new show drawing fans in- but from what I've been reading- it seems like that is even slowing up somewhat.

Although the show didn't seem too spectacular from the clips I've seen of it- I'm relieved to know that at least crowds are thinning somewhat, so by the time I visit in a few months- it may go back to the quieter times when the boatbuilder show was there.

It's still a nice area where you can sit and relax outside in the covered dining area across from the lighthouse.

• Banned User

Cape Cod is now alive thanks to Duffy. It does not bother me that Duffy is there as a main draw. It does bother me how the Duffy knockoffs on sale at WDW are cheap looking and apar with the rest of the K-B Toys quality of the merchandise at WDW. Mercifully, the bear is not a popular item with tourists wearing bad shorts in FL and should be headed for the Disney Outlets (another way Disney cheapens the brand) in the near future.

• Banned User

I do think the show is too obvious and it isn't popular which makes it less appealing then it already is and the walk around character design now does not look that good.
    I've seen you make one or two comments in the past about the new Duffy show not being that popular. Just curious why do you think it fails to attract an audience?

But it does seem some like the show, after all Roger loved it so much the first time he came back and watch it a second time.

It's still a nice area where you can sit and relax outside in the covered dining area across from the lighthouse.
    Its a great area mainly ignored by most Guest who visit the park. I'm encouraged to read from two different people now that crowds are starting to thin out.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, I don't know if a land or port can really afford to be used as a respite. Sure, there have usually been areas in Disney parks that were quiet, or off the beaten path, where you could sit down and just enjoy the atmosphere. However, usually it's not an entire land. Ok, Cape Cod is technically part of American Waterfront, but it's really a mini-land within that. Before Duffy, what was there but a restaurant and shops? I just don't think from a business standpoint, you can afford to have an area that doesn't have some kind of draw.

As fans, we might wish for it to stay quiet and peaceful, but if money talks, and Duffy and Shellie are screaming. Also, it does sound that despite their influence, there can still be quiet days in between the costume releases.

• Banned User

I just don't think from a business standpoint, you can afford to have an area that doesn't have some kind of draw.
    It does seem like OLC are starting to review crowd flow and invest in the areas that are lacking. Looking at Sinbad, the attraction fails to find an audience, but that hasn't stopped OLC from trying to bring people to this part of the park. Stitch is out posing for autographs now days in front of the attraction and Jasmine's Flying Carpets has just been annouced to fill in the queue space. Cape Cod without Duffy is a ghost town, while a new Character greeting space has been made available in another dead area in the Lost River Delta. Toy Story Mania will also keep Guest waiting longer over in the American Waterfront. I guess the days of walking though a non crowded park will be coming to an end if OLC can acheive its goal. Soon the park will be like Tokyo Disneyland with path's packed full of people.

• Resident of the Caldera

Maybe the terrible quality of the food at Cape-Cod Cookoff is turning people off from seeing the Duffy show. I'm betting that at least 50 to 75% of the people who walk into that restaurant have never been in there before the Duffy show started, and after eating there you really don't want to go back.

• Banned User

The food is exactly the same cuisine thats found over in Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland Terrace, and thats one of the parks most popular Restaurants. I really don't think the food is an issue, especially as the sort of people who are being targeted for the new show are exactly the same audience who would of enjoyed Donald's Boat Builders.

• Just another Disney fan..

You don't have to eat food to watch the show. You can just buy drinks.

• Banned User

Well the crowds have returned to Cape Cod, atleast for Golden Week, click on pics below from DeepDisney

http://www.deepdisney.com/img2/10050...2010050201.htm

http://www.deepdisney.com/img2/10050...2010050202.htm

http://www.deepdisney.com/img2/10050...2010050203.htm

• You have much to learn...

Although we really don't agree much with the long lines & waits- but it keeps the yen rolling in for TDS.

• Resident of the Caldera

There have been complaints about the food posted here in earlier threads. The food itself may be the same, but the preparation is not since it's at a different location. If the manager isn't up to par, the food can dried out quite easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast