Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Just another Disney fan..

June Edition of "Disney Fan" Magazine w/Gift

Just picked up my June edition of the Disney Fan magazine which came out on Thursday.

As part of the 20th anniversary of this publication, the June edtion comes with a special "gift". The price of the special edition magazine was 980 yen, but came with a cloth "Glitter Mickey" tote bag.

The magazine itself has excellent coverage of the new Easter Wonderland festivities at TDL and Spring Carnival and the new "My Friend Duffy" show at TDS.

Photos of the Easter parade at TDL show all six Mickey costumes that he changes into as he runs from float to float.

It also shows all the merchandise offereings that go along with Easter Wonderland and Spring Carnival.

Also included in the issues is a small insert about the "World of Pixar". It outlines all 10 Pixar movies along with a preview of the upcoming Toy Story 3. Also talks about some of the "fun facts" about Pixar movies such as John Ratzenberg, Cal Arts class room number, the pizza delivery truck, etc.

For the Johnny Depp fans, there is an article about Depp and his Disney movie roles.

Disney Fan magazine is always a great read, but the June edition is extra special IMO. If you have a chance to pick one up, you should do so, even if you can't read Japanese. The quality and content of the publication is really great for Disney and TDR fans.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: June Edition of "Disney Fan" Magazine w/Gift

Where can I sign up to have this shipped to the US?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Where can I sign up to have this shipped to the US?
    I don't believe you can do a subscription directly through the publisher (Kodansha).

Depending on your location, you may be able to "subscribe" through a local Japanese book store. They can set up an arangement to hold a copy for you. It is up to the book store if they offer shipping to your home.

Maybe others in the USA can offer suggestions.

Forgot to mention there is also a small blurb in there about Jasmine's Flying Carpets, along with the artist's concept drawing, that will be going into TDS.

• Resident of the Caldera

www.fujisan.com
    Search for Disney Fan

• World Traveler

I would LOVE it if they could print at least one issue a year in English. These would sell like hotcakes.

• Banned User

I don't think they would sell well in the USA. Besides the hardcore fans, no one else would be interested in reading about (Tokyo) Disney and related matters..
    But this reminds me of when the Disney Magazine used to come out quarterly... then they screwed it up going "wide release" in retail.

It's very interesting to buy the Japanese guides to the US Disney Parks, also published by Kodansha--who publish Disney Fan and the "My Tokyo Disney Resort" guides. It's amazing how they can find so many small details and pump them up to make Walt Disney World look so interesting when it's so barren compared to the Tokyo Disney Resort as far as attention to detail.

• Loves Mickey!

It's very nice that they included a present especially because it's one of those in between issues that doesn't really have anything new besides the little carpet ride. It would be better if the magazine price was the normal price like the other magazines with cuter bags! If the bag was cuter I would have bought it!

• You have much to learn...

I picked up my Disney Fan just yesterday at my new Japanese bookshop, since my last one closed a few months ago.

I did look up pricing on fujisan, but they were very expensive simply due to the shipping charges- I'm paying a high rate as well from my bookshop, I think about $130-$140 a year, but am saving at least $80-$100 a year off of fujisan's rates.

But, at least if you really want to get the magazine- it's an option for you & you can choose a short subscription if you just want to try it out for a while.

One question Fukai- does the subscription include those special issues that come out thru the year- I assume it doesn't since my subscription never does and I usually have to order them separately.

I also usually order the My Tokyo disney resort magazines- I don't think anyone offers a subscription to those since they don't always come out on a regular printing schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    It's very nice that they included a present especially because it's one of those in between issues that doesn't really have anything new besides the little carpet ride. It would be better if the magazine price was the normal price like the other magazines with cuter bags! If the bag was cuter I would have bought it!
    The issue I'm talking about is the regular June edition. The "in between" issue comes out 5/8.

The "gift" did come at a price. Regular pricing has been 780 yen. This June issue is 930 yen, so the tote cost 150 yen. I too would have rather them keep the tote and me save the 150 yen. It's just a bit too feminine for me.

I'll check out the 5/8 in between issue, but I agree they are usually a re-hash collection of previously released information.

• Banned User

Not surprised the gift is "feminine" since the magazine's target audience is the officie ladies with disposable income, as opposed to the US gaijin guys like me. For the time being, as an avid collector of the magazine (having missed only issue #4 and #5 19 years ago) it's a must have and I can only hope they will have any left by the time I get back to Japan around the 10th of May.

I think you have to buy the special issues separately.

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    The issue I'm talking about is the regular June edition. The "in between" issue comes out 5/8.

The "gift" did come at a price. Regular pricing has been 780 yen. This June issue is 930 yen, so the tote cost 150 yen. I too would have rather them keep the tote and me save the 150 yen. It's just a bit too feminine for me.

I'll check out the 5/8 in between issue, but I agree they are usually a re-hash collection of previously released information.
    Sorry I understand it is a regular issue. I meant in between events issue so it doesn't have new merchandise and event info compared to the issues they release before the events.

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    Sorry I understand it is a regular issue. I meant in between events issue so it doesn't have new merchandise and event info compared to the issues they release before the events.
    OK, I undderstand now what you meant.

I still recommend this June issue. The merchandise info is pretty much the same, but June's issue has actual photos from this year's spring offerings. The May issue just had pre-event promotional photos for Easter Wonderland and My Friend Duffy, and photos of last year's Spring Carnival.

The "World of Disney/Pixar" is also excellent.

I agree if someone is looking for current park event, merchandise and food offerings, there isn't much new. But for those who are looking for great photo reports from the current year's event, it is better to wait for the issue that comes out after the event start, otherwise you are just getting preview and promo info.

Since I must have them all, I've never before stopped to consider the differences between the issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast