0 0%
  • Tomorrowland Terrace

0 0%
  • Pan Galactic Pizza Port

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• TDR... It gets the love!!

Pick Your 'Counter Service' at TDL!

So welcome to Part 2 of the the "Pick Your Counter Service" series, as we now look at TDS's next door neighbor: Tokyo Disneyland. To qualify as one of these "counter service" restaurants, the place had to have indoor seating and sell proper meals you'd find on a lunch/dinner menu. And now, the introductions... China Voyager (Adventureland), Pecos Bill Cafe (Westernland), Hungry Bear Restaurant (Westernland), Grandma Sara's Kitchen (Critter Country), Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall (Fantasyland), Plaza Restaurant (Tomorrowland), Tomorrowland Terrace (Tomorrowland) and the Pan Galactic Pizza Port (Tomorrowland). I know that most people will put down Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, but I still want to see who has a different opinion. I know I for example liked the Hungry Bear Restaurant. So we start with one vote ! Also, special thanks to Malin whose idea it was to start this second thread on Disneyland's counter service eateries. Enjoy, or as some like to say... Bon Appetite!
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

• Loves Mickey!

Re: Pick Your 'Counter Service' at TDL!

This one is kind of hard! I went with China Voyager but Grandma Sara's is so well designed!

Wow. Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall IS winning as I thought, but the votes are varied all over the place. Very interesting...
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I voted for Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, most obvious choice, I know but its the one Counter Service Restuarant that I must visit on every trip at least the once. I agree with ichigopara about this being a hard poll, and that Grandma Sara's is also nicely themed.

• Resident of the Caldera

I don't like curry, so that kills several of the restaurants for me.
    Even so, nothing compares to the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall!
    Now ... OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

• You have much to learn...

Grandma Sara's is neat- but I'm not too crazy about the food choices there- I do prefer Qeens Banquet Hall as well- My favorite is the Heart shaped meat patty-

• Banned User

Grandma Sara's Kitchen is kind of creeping up beside Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. I do agree with others about not being inspired by the food choices. I've eaten here once and it was I think a hamburg steak with a side of rice, not even sure now its still on the menu. In fact I'm not to sure whats on the menu there anymore, another place I need to check out in September.

I seriously have not eaten at many of these! I'm usually one for table service, so Blue Bayou etc. But now I'm really wanting to try some of the counter service restaurants, the one's we didn't do.

• Resident of the Caldera

Grandma Sarah's has curry on the menu. I've peeked inside, but hamburg (salisbury?) steaks are not something Americans generally find appealing!

• Banned User

I'm usually one for table service, so Blue Bayou etc.
    I usually give table service a miss in Tokyo, mainly because of time restraints. Besides the counter service meals are usually a good standard here and I see no need to spend the extra money. If it was WDW or DLP, I would likely pick table service though, as there Counter Service offerings are poor.

I've had pretty good experiences at Blue Bayou. The food at the Polynesian Terrace show was just ok the one time we tried it- but the show was great. I've tried was at the Eastside Cafe & thought it was pretty good as well- I've only been in the coffee house for breakfast, but the Japanese eggs don't do much for me.

I've been wanting to try Hokusai- but I always get scared away by the menu.

I've eaten at most of the other counter service areas at TDL with the exception of possliby The Hungry Bear & Captain Hooks Galley, which is another on my list of places to try.

In addition to the Queen of Hearts, the one other place I love is at Boiler Bites, next door to China Voyager- I love their Mickey pork bun and the barbeque tortilla wrap (or whatever it's called). I've only tried the dumplings at China Voyager, but hopefully will get around to dining there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I usually give table service a miss in Tokyo, mainly because of time restraints. Besides the counter service meals are usually a good standard here and I see no need to spend the extra money. If it was WDW or DLP, I would likely pick table service though, as there Counter Service offerings are poor.
    Actually, come to think of it, Blue Bayou was the only table-service I ate at in TDL. But I agree with your point. WDW counter-service isn't good. But i'd still recommend Blue Bayou to anyone who hasn't eaten there before. Really good theming.

• Banned User

Hmm maybe I'll have to check the Blue Bayou out in Tokyo, I've enjoyed similar meals at the Disneyland version, and the Blue Lagoon in Paris. Trouble is I don't stay at one of the official hotels, so getting a priority seating is a bit harder.

The food choices are very different from the Blue Bayou in California & Japan. If you like seafood, that I personally don't, you probably wouldn't have a problem. The restaruant itself is almost an exact copy from California in themeing.

I've never had trouble getting in there, but we usually eat there early in the day for lunch more than dinner- but it depends on how busy the parks are- I try to visit on less crowded days and avoid the weekends when dining in a sit down restaurant.

I love the Monte Cristo in California & wish they would have that in Japan- but unfortunately they don't.

I've never tried the one in DLP- I'm hoping to try to get back there to visit sometime this year, or possibly next year.

Yes, the theming is basically identical between the DL and TDL Blue Bayou Restaurants. But the Blue Lagoon (DLP Blue Bayou) is completely different in theming. It's a more tropical rainforest on the water, rather than a town. But i'm going off topic... Malin, you probably shouldn't worry too much about visiting the one in Tokyo, as it is fairly similar to the ones elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast