Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16

    • TDR... It gets the love!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    220

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikInTheCity View Post
    I agree with you on not wanting to spoil the park for yourself or your travel companions. When I would take visitors to the park for their first time, I would either make them walk or turn to face the water when passing TDS on the Resort Line.

    Then again, I always make people face away from the monitor during a part of the Soarin' preshow video, as I feel showing what happens in the ride completely gives away the fun and excitement of a first ride.

    I say walk it. It is completely doable, but will definitely add to the ticks on your pedometer for the day. Maybe another day, take the Resort Line around the park and try to figure out just how that expansive park fits into its small footprint! Good times.
    Wow. I think I found my long-lost twin you sound exactly like me! If I were to go on the Resort Line in the end, I was going to try and get them to face the water. And with Soarin... I did the exact same thing with another group over in WDW!

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Wow. You should show them a few teaser photos to get them worked up.
    Yeah, most of them aren't that interested in the Tokyo Disney portion- some are happy for it to be cut from the trip (which it won't) but only there for one day. They all think its going to be a "place for 2-year olds", so to speak. They'll be surprised, as they first look out onto Mysterious Island across the lagoon...
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

  2. #17

    • Resident of the Caldera
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nowhere near a Disney Park
    Posts
    1,944

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    The "Resort Line" (aka monorail) is cool as hell, and the view is great as long as you sit facing into the resort and not out at Urayasu.

    However, for your purposes, if you want to blow your friends away to start and not pay the few bucks for monorail passes (which you can keep as a souvenir, by the way), then walk to the front of the Ambassador hotel and take the "Resort Cruiser" (aka bus). Not only will you save your feet for when you really need them, but the Resort Cruiser will impress your friends no end.

  3. #18

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    So they will be impressed by the Monorail.

    My opinion.. honestly, i think it's silly to "face away" from TDS while riding the monorail. You all gotta be kidding about this, right?

    now if you were going to WDW then a resounding yes, I would say, turn around, face away from it and RUN RUN away from it as fast as you can and go to CA instead.

  4. #19

    • TDR... It gets the love!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    220

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    So they will be impressed by the Monorail.

    My opinion.. honestly, i think it's silly to "face away" from TDS while riding the monorail. You all gotta be kidding about this, right?

    now if you were going to WDW then a resounding yes, I would say, turn around, face away from it and RUN RUN away from it as fast as you can and go to CA instead.
    I always love reading your posts... it's always amusing how much you hate WDW !! And sorry to say this TDLFAN, TDR is probably my favorite too in quality for basically everything (including the monorail in general) but the ONE thing bad about TDR is the visibility of backstage equipment visible from the monorail. I really wish they'd fix that up... Surely you can see my point (Gets ready for heated discussion with TDLFAN, which I will ultimately lose in )
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

  5. #20

    • Established 2005
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    832

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Exomonia, we must be long lost twins. I will fight this long and hard! The views upon circling TDS from the Resort Line are TERRIBLE! Maybe not for a second or third visit, but seriously, this is supposed to be ok for an introduction to the park!?

    "Ooh look! The back of Indy! Look there, it's the Cast Member Backstage Shuttle! And there! It's the back of the SS Columbia. I can't wait to go into the park and be able to tell everyone that it's not a ship at all, and they spent all that money to make it look ready for it's inaugural sailing for nothing! I love the Resort Line!"

    Awful. TDLFan, you kill me about WDW! Hilarious. But you have to admit that the first time one rides the Monorail around Bay Lake and sees the Magic Kingdom is magical. Also, the first trip to EPCOT where the Monorail travels through the park. . .beautiful! I have enjoyed introducing people to the parks over the years and they love that first expansive reveal.

    CoughwalkorridetheResortCruisercough

  6. #21

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    "Ooh look! The back of Indy! Look there, it's the Cast Member Backstage Shuttle! And there! It's the back of the SS Columbia. I can't wait to go into the park and be able to tell everyone that it's not a ship at all, and they spent all that money to make it look ready for it's inaugural sailing for nothing! I love the Resort Line!"
    A quick question to everyone on here who took the Monorail on there first ever visit to Tokyo DisneySea. Did seeing the back of the park ruin in anyway your first visit and introduction to this park?

  7. #22

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,633

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Exomonia View Post
    I always love reading your posts... it's always amusing how much you hate WDW !!
    He doesn't hate WDW. He just knows it can be SOOOOO much better than it has been in recent years. WDW used to be a thing of beauty, but management has turned into a bunch of greedy, slobbering, drunken monkeys that don't know squat about running the parks. They think, "Well, the tourists will show up even if everything looks run down and dirty, so why change anything?" He complains so much about WDW because he cares. He wants to see it return to its former glory.

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Exomonia View Post
    I always love reading your posts... it's always amusing how much you hate WDW !! And sorry to say this TDLFAN, TDR is probably my favorite too in quality for basically everything (including the monorail in general) but the ONE thing bad about TDR is the visibility of backstage equipment visible from the monorail. I really wish they'd fix that up... Surely you can see my point (Gets ready for heated discussion with TDLFAN, which I will ultimately lose in )
    Exomania, the backstage views are actually more limited now than they used to be. We've been having these talks since they were constructing 10 years ago.

    When DRL and TDS opened, the Indy show building didn't have any trees along the back. It was all pretty bare and kinda startling at the time. Also, one could also see through the windows of the main TDL CM wardrobe building, until it was covered up some years ago. Nowadays, you can still see through windows Cirque du Soleil performers in warmingup in one of the studios inside the building.

    I still think my plan for covering the portion of the DRL around the back of TDS would be awesome.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

  9. #24

    • Established 2005
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    832

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    I agree, Joe. That is the best idea. How would you see this implemented?!

  10. #25

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikInTheCity View Post
    I agree, Joe. That is the best idea. How would you see this implemented?!
    Erik, good to hear from you. Long time no talk... and see.

    Well, my idea is that a "tunnel" or covered area be built in the portion starting after Bayside Station all the way to the approach at TDS Station.

    As the monorail leaves Bayside, it would enter this "tunnel" and start doing down. Water would wash over the train as if you're entering Tokyo Bay or backstage at TDS. Inside the tunnel, the walls would be covered with screens showing animated or computer-generated views.

    The left side would be of TDS underwater with where we could see the inner workings of various sites in the park, such as underwater tunnels under Temple, sealife of Cape Cod area, the bottom part of the SS Columbia, magma from Mt. Prometheus, etc. On the right side, riders would get a look at the sealife of Tokyo Bay. This would present the rider with a preview of what's to come at TDS as well as a peek inside Tokyo Bay.

    At the end of the tunnel where it begins to rise behind SS Columbia and ToT, there is a splash sound which tells that the train is going over land again and arriving at TDS. The tunnel would keep riders from seeing most of TDS backstage but still not have to get in the way of views from inside the park out.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

  11. #26

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Erik in the City, I will get to you at the end of this post so read on..

    Quote Originally Posted by Exomonia View Post
    I always love reading your posts... it's always amusing how much you hate WDW !!
    Please read this carefully: I DO NOT HATE WDW.
    I even renewed my WDW AP last week for another 15 months of sheer fun. I am however disappointed at the way management at WDW has allowed the resort to decay into a disney experience that is simple "acceptable" as opposed to being one that strives to exceed guests' expectations like the good folks of OLC do when they operate TDR. I have been visiting TDR for the past 21 years on virtually 15 or so times a year. To this day, i am still amazed at how professional everything is.. from the look of the parks and it's maintenance, to the perfect level of state of most rides, to the professional and well trained cast of thousands that appear to staff the park, the sheer perfection of crowd controlling huge crowds daily, to... well just about everything that makes a Disney park enjoyable.
    At WDW, the parks have become stale and simply "acceptable" to me. With the exception of DAK, the other parks at WDW are experiences that can offer so much more in theme and adventure.. yet they do not. You have to be an infrequent guest at WDW to really find this place to be out of the ordinary...and that is what WDW is to me: an ordinary place to visit with some cool rides where props may or may not work on cue, or where cleanliness can be precarious, or where you can be hit by a stroller big enough to qualify for membership in the teamsters Union. In other words: an experience that is not what Disney should be like.
    You should know I was a WDW CM back in the late 70s and early 80s.. and back then, managers were constantly hitting us over the heads reminding us about the Disney quality, theme, the Disney look of our costumes and appearance "on stage' and how everything had to be nothing short of perfection. NOW? that is not the case, as I see badly dressed CMs, poor maintenance, poor crowd control, poor staffing, attractions that do not look in top notch condition or new attractions that fall short of expectations (Laugh Club for example), parades and shows meant for people with little appreciation for them... and that is how management at WDW sees you all: "infrequent tourists who will still come to WDW just because we are 'Disney' and you will love us no matter what, because you don't know better." That is where the success of WDW lies... great advertisement but little substance that really set the disney name apart. Reason why the likes of Universal and Sea World continue to thrive in that market. Here is the real kicker: I'm willing to bet people go to WDW because it has become a phenomenal value first and foremost, and not because they expect to be blown away by real Disney-like quality like the one found consistently at TDR.
    Sad, isn't it. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

    As for the monorails... Yes, I too hate the views from the TDR Line and the amount of backstage seen from the trains are unacceptable to me. However, as much as I hate the views from the TDR Line, I will gladly ride it over and over because it is an overall better experience over the WDW monos. how so? Well.. at WDW you are constantly waiting for "traffic clearance", and being bombarded with loud advertisement over the PA system, about the latest DVC resort, or the newest Character dining experience. That has gotten old to me. You must also consider that the WDW monorails are operated as if they were a park attraction.. which is the reason why you have to queue up to board, and the reason why you enjoy manicured views of the 7 Seas lagoon, EPCOT, the lastest DVC resorts (like the ghetto and virtually theme free Contemporary Towers) and whatever is left of the green ecosystems of the WDW property since the hurricanes of 2004. Most importantly, that is why the daily fee of riding the WDW monorails are quietly added to the price of your multi-day passports, fooling you into believing that it is a free service to guests, which is not.

    In contrast... TDR guests who do not use the monorail do NOT pay for the service in their park tickets. Also, the TDR Line monorails are operated like a real train, in a real city like enviroment, and unlike the WDW monos, the TDR Line gets you from point A to point B with no delays whatsoever, and in monorails that are comfortable to ride, well maintained, Disney-whimsical and overall pleasurable, with minimal PAs and nuissances.
    So with TDR monos.. the view is the last of their concerns as this system is a real train and not an attraction. The fact that you can enjoy the lovely views of Tokyo bay and on clear days, Mt Fuji, and even the skyline of Yokohama, those are perks that come with it if you are lucky. At TDR, you can do the entire circle trip in 12 minutes. At WDW, sometimes it takes that long to get from the TTC to the MK just because you are sitting waiting for traffic clearance. THAT is the Tokyo difference in quality that WDW, with all it's lovely monorail views, will NEVER be able to match. There is only one way I can describe the WDW monorail experience: a trailer park ghetto adventure in the skies. Add CMs who lean on the station rails for added unprofessionalism.

    And erik in the city.... I am sorry but I do not find arriving at the MK via mono to be magical, but a pain in the you-know-what. However, for a magical arrival into the MK.. nothing beats the lovely trip on the ferry boats, which is my preferred way of travel at WDW. on water. I like to call them "Fairy boats"

    TDLFAN has spoken and please, DO NOT assume I hate WDW because that is far from the truth. I was basically born at WDW and loves the place as if it was my own home, reason why I have to be harsh in criticism at times.. and trust me, it's not a fun thing for me to be negative, but the truth as I see it, will be discussed, like it or not.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 05-16-2010 at 09:41 PM.

  12. #27

    • TDR... It gets the love!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    220

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    A quick question to everyone on here who took the Monorail on there first ever visit to Tokyo DisneySea. Did seeing the back of the park ruin in anyway your first visit and introduction to this park?
    Ooo! Ooo! Me!! Nah, it wasn't really that bad... but it was the one thing that I was disappointed about with TDR. Although every other part of the trip (and the rest of the Resort Line for that matter) I loved!

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Exomania, the backstage views are actually more limited now than they used to be. We've been having these talks since they were constructing 10 years ago. When DRL and TDS opened, the Indy show building didn't have any trees along the back. It was all pretty bare and kinda startling at the time. Also, one could also see through the windows of the main TDL CM wardrobe building, until it was covered up some years ago. Nowadays, you can still see through windows Cirque du Soleil performers in warmingup in one of the studios inside the building. I still think my plan for covering the portion of the DRL around the back of TDS would be awesome.
    Sorry about my absence of knowledge on this subject matter. I am literally just 'in' on my TDR craze. So I'm not that knowledgeable sorry, so don't trust my word on anything But I'm glad they're fixing it. Hopefully in five years all the backstage parts won't be visible.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Please read this carefully: I DO NOT HATE WDW.
    Sorry, got caught in the moment there TDLFAN! I actually did know that you didn't hate WDW (I've seen you say that in other threads) just got carried away.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As for the monorails... Yes, I too hate the views from the TDR Line and the amount of backstage seen from the trains are unacceptable to me. However, as much as I hate the views from the TDR Line, I will gladly ride it over and over because it is an overall better experience over the WDW monos. how so? Well.. at WDW you are constantly waiting for "traffic clearance", and being bombarded with loud advertisement over the PA system, about the latest DVC resort, or the newest Character dining experience. That has gotten old to me. You must also consider that the WDW monorails are operated as if they were a park attraction.. which is the reason why you have to queue up to board, and the reason why you enjoy manicured views of the 7 Seas lagoon, EPCOT, the lastest DVC resorts (like the ghetto and virtually theme free Contemporary Towers) and whatever is left of the green ecosystems of the WDW property since the hurricanes of 2004. Most importantly, that is why the daily fee of riding the WDW monorails are quietly added to the price of your multi-day passports, fooling you into believing that it is a free service to guests, which is not. In contrast... TDR guests who do not use the monorail do NOT pay for the service in their park tickets. Also, the TDR Line monorails are operated like a real train, in a real city like enviroment, and unlike the WDW monos, the TDR Line gets you from point A to point B with no delays whatsoever, and in monorails that are comfortable to ride, well maintained, Disney-whimsical and overall pleasurable, with minimal PAs and nuissances. So with TDR monos.. the view is the last of their concerns as this system is a real train and not an attraction. The fact that you can enjoy the lovely views of Tokyo bay and on clear days, Mt Fuji, and even the skyline of Yokohama, those are perks that come with it if you are lucky. At TDR, you can do the entire circle trip in 12 minutes. At WDW, sometimes it takes that long to get from the TTC to the MK just because you are sitting waiting for traffic clearance. THAT is the Tokyo difference in quality that WDW, with all it's lovely monorail views, will NEVER be able to match. There is only one way I can describe the WDW monorail experience: a trailer park ghetto adventure in the skies. Add CMs who lean on the station rails for added unprofessionalism.
    Yes, I can agree with you there. Overall, the TDR monorail is a better experience in the most part. But I still stick to my point that OLC needs to fix up this backstage area. I was thinking maybe to go on the monorail from Disney Sea to Gateway Station one-way instead, as I really think that the monorail is still a great experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    And erik in the city.... I am sorry but I do not find arriving at the MK via mono to be magical, but a pain in the you-know-what. However, for a magical arrival into the MK.. nothing beats the lovely trip on the ferry boats, which is my preferred way of travel at WDW. on water. I like to call them "Fairy boats" TDLFAN has spoken and please, DO NOT assume I hate WDW because that is far from the truth. I was basically born at WDW and loves the place as if it was my own home, reason why I have to be harsh in criticism at times.. and trust me, it's not a fun thing for me to be negative, but the truth as I see it, will be discussed, like it or not.
    I've never actually had to catch the monorail from the TTC to MK as a commute from the parking lot (but have still done this from Epcot to TTC to MK) and I don't find it that bad. I actually like the views etc. And now that's the end of my ridiculously long post!
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

  13. #28

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Please read this carefully: I DO NOT HATE WDW.
    I believe this to be the case. However you do come across very negative towards WDW. Possibly for all the right reasons, but you need to think how some of your comments are coming across to other people who do not know you that well. Taking over TDR threads with WDW rants does come across as someone who hates WDW with passion. Just saying.

    Back to the original topic now, and I really don't think riding the Monorail is anymore intrusive than taking the train at Disneyland. Which can also take you into backstage areas.

  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Exomonia View Post
    Sorry about my absence of knowledge on this subject matter. I am literally just 'in' on my TDR craze. So I'm not that knowledgeable sorry, so don't trust my word on anything But I'm glad they're fixing it. Hopefully in five years all the backstage parts won't be visible.
    Hi Exomonia, didn't mean to sound that way. No need to apologize. I just wanted to say that I agree with your thoughts about being able to see backstage from the monorail. Ever since they were building it, that's one of the first issues I had discussed with the OLC folk. And a TDR craze is a good one to have. Hehehe. Some of us for almost 15 years!
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

  15. #30

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Journey to Disney Sea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Exomonia View Post

    I've never actually had to catch the monorail from the TTC to MK as a commute from the parking lot (but have still done this from Epcot to TTC to MK) and I don't find it that bad. I actually like the views etc. And now that's the end of my ridiculously long post!
    The post was long because you quote mine. Haha. But remember.. "views" is all you got at WDW's monorails. Certainly not quick service nor quality. But if you are happy, more power to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pictures] my photo journey
    By ferrarifann in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 06:21 PM
  2. Journey
    By disneyfann121 in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
  3. What was your "Disney Journey?"
    By Gwendolen in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 11:12 PM
  4. Disney On Ice: Mickey and Minnie's Magical Journey Review
    By Walt Jr. in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 01:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •