Comments /suggestions on TDS touring plan?

I've been looking for a basic touring plan for TDS and the one below is the only one I could find online apart from one on this forum. Is it accurate--the first line really has me thinking that it must be dated. Does it sound do-able for 2 adults and 2 kids ages 12 and 10? Any major attractions missing? We'll be going on July 20 or 21 and I know it will be hot and humid--last time I visited Japan was Aug 1999 and I remember buying loads of bottled drinks from the vending machines.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Plan your day at Tokyo DisneySea
    There aren't many people in the park even in July except New Year and Christmas. The ultimate ride here is Journey so you have to ride it first. If you haven't breakfasted yet, you should take fastpasses for 20,000 Leagues and eat at Vulcania. Then go to 20,000 and after that, go to Mermaid Lagoon and ride Flounder and watch the ultimate show Ariel. To the east is Arabian Coast, ride Sinbad and Magic Lamp Theatre. Then to Lost River Delta and ride Indiana Jones and Raging Spirits. In Port Discovery, ride the StormRider. In American Waterfront, ride Tower of Terror and watch the Encore! show. Last but not least, watch the nightime spectacular BraviSEAmo!
    Tokyo DisneySea reviews
    Last edited by gk90; 05-23-2010 at 10:57 PM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Comments /suggestions on TDS touring plan?

I really wouldn't follow that touring plan. It seems incredibly flawed as Encore hasn't perfomed at the park in years, long before the Tower of Terror opened. Also I would not waste a Fast Pass on 20,000 Leagues.

For the record I always rule out on using an itinerary when visiting the parks because it doesn't take into account wait times. How about you give us a list of the attractions and shows you would like to see when visiting Tokyo DisneySea and we can use our experience to help guide you around the park. Advise you on what Fast Passes to take out and where to eat. With only one day at the park your probarely going to have to miss some stuff out.

Here is the link for my Trip Report:

Tokyo Disney Sea TR, Thu, August 6, 2009 - WDW Radio Disney Forums

I was there on a Thursday in early August. Of course, I don't know much about you or where you're from, so my advice maybe does not pertain to everyone.

The main points I'd like to make (condensed version):
    Ask to sit in the front row on Journey. I think it makes a big difference. Go on this twice, at least once at night.

Check out the schedule for the Mermaid show in Triton's Kingdom and make sure you work that into your schedule.

I'd go to Aquatopia first - there is no FP for this, and I think it it might be worth doing a couple of times in a row. Lines get long. Not as spepctacular as Whinnie the Pooh (Tokyo Disneyland) but ridiculously fun. Then pick up an FP for Journey, then go to the Magic Lamp Theatre. Do this before lines build, or make sure you get an FP. You do not want to wait for this in the middle of the day... no shade!

After that, just do whatever you want, and take advantage of FP.

Even if you don't speak japanese, maybe you could get someone to demonstrate how the interactive maps work for the Fortress Exploration. Someone eventually was able to produce for us a map in English - but there is no English explanation.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks schelemm, your experiences helped, great trip report!

I know everyone says to get there as early as possible but the day we're going (July 21, Wed) the park opens at 9 and we can't get there until 9:30 because of the work schedule of the Japanese family we're staying with. The last time we were in Japan was Aug 1999 and we did a lot of cultural stuff; I vividly remember the humid heat and all the Pocari Sweat and Aquarius we bought at vending machines. (Question: they must have some of these in the park? Can we bring in water bottles and/or our own drinks?)

We're a family of 4, 2 adults and kids ages 12 and 9. We're doing 1 Disney day as part of a 5 day Japan stay and also going to Hakone and Kamakura with our Japanese friends who have a whole itinerary worked out for us, but it looks like they're not Disney fans. Also we'll be staying with them way on the other side of Tokyo, in Kokubunji.

Our favorite WDW park is Epcot which is one reason we're doing DisneySea and not TDL. Over the past few of years we've spent 14 days at WDW. We're also not big parade lovers so might stay for just part of "Legend of Mythica" unless it's an absolute must-see?

We definitely want to see 20000 Leagues, Journey, Indy, Aquatopia, StormRider, Fortress Explorations, Sindbad, BraviSeamo. We've done the Fastpass runner game at WDW and know we'll need to do it for some of the TDS rides.

We're not big thrill ride junkies--2 of us will definitely skip TOT, didn't like it at WDW. Unless the TDS version is tamer than WDW?

We might try Raging Spirits if we have time and the theming is really interesting, Big Thunder Mountain and SPlash Mountain are a couple of our faves, but the same 2 who skip TOT also skip Everest at WDW.

A couple of maybes: Magic Lamp Theater and Mystic Spirits?

We also want to take some slow time to soak in the atmosphere with a boat ride. The Venetian Gondola looks interesting but from some of the photos it might not be much more than the Friendship boats in Epcot? Are the gondolas for transportation or are they just an attraction with no on/off stops?

We'll probably just do a counter service unless there's a really incredibly themed table service experience--we're adventurous eaters and love spending time in the Epcot World Showcase table service places, Boma and Coral Reef are also faves of ours. But with only one day I think we should just do counter service, maybe Vulcania based on this poll: Pick your 'Counter Service' at TDS! However we're not crazy about it being Chinese food, we often eat in NYC Chinatown so Chinese food in Japan doesnt sound too exciting.

We also want to try some of the famous popcorn if we can find a line that's not too long! Any tips on buying popcorn?

I've looked at a couple of other game plan threads, like this one: Good One-Day Plan of Attack for Tokyo Disney Sea? and found them helpful

Any ideas and input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by gk90; 06-14-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post

Check out the schedule for the Mermaid show in Triton's Kingdom and make sure you work that into your schedule.

Even if you don't speak japanese, maybe you could get someone to demonstrate how the interactive maps work for the Fortress Exploration. Someone eventually was able to produce for us a map in English - but there is no English explanation.

Let me know if this helps.
    Thanks, so the mermaid show is really good? We weren't really impressed by Vovage of the Little Mermaid in WDW.

And is this the English map for Fortress Exploration? Or is there one with more detail? We don't speak Japanese, just a few words, but in our Japan trips have always managed to find someone helpful with enough English.

http://www.thirdamendment.com/Fortre...rationsMap.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
    Can we bring in water bottles and/or our own drinks?
    We brought in our own reusable bottles with no problem.

and not TDL. Over the past few of years we've spent 14 days at WDW. We're also not big parade lovers so might stay for just part of "Legend of Mythica" unless it's an absolute must-see?
    I do not like parades at all, but when I saw Legend of Mythica I was almost in tears, it was so amazing. It's not just a parade on water, it's an amazing spectacle. May as well catch the beginning of it, and then if you're not impressed you can keep touring!

We're not big thrill ride junkies--2 of us will definitely skip TOT, didn't like it at WDW. Unless the TDS version is tamer than WDW?
    It's not tamer, but the theming is superb. In fact, we rode it multiple times just to see the pre-show with the idol and try to figure out how it was accomplished (this scene replaces the Twilight Zone episode part from the US version). If the line isn't long (ha!) you might consider going all the way through the queue and then taking the chicken exit.

We might try Raging Spirits if we have time and the theming is really interesting
    If you're not thrill-ride junkies and 2 of you would even skip Everest, I strongly suggest you give this one a miss. All of the most impressive theming is out on the walkway, where you can gawk and snap photos to your heart's content. The ride itself is too short and pretty much your standard off-the-shelf Six Flags rollercoaster. We rode it despite the bad reviews b/c we wanted to see it for ourselves, but we also had 4 days to waste.

A couple of maybes: Magic Lamp Theater and Mystic Spirits?
    Our take on Magic Lamp Theater: pretty cheesy. If you like over-the-top mugging and slapstick, though, it's a must-do!

We also want to take some slow time to soak in the atmosphere with a boat ride. The Venetian Gondola looks interesting but from some of the photos it might not be much more than the Friendship boats in Epcot? Are the gondolas for transportation or are they just an attraction with no on/off stops?
    The gondolas are a ride, not transportation. They take you around the canals and out into the bay and sing to you before returning you to the place you started. I wish I were at the TDS part of my trip report cuz you could see all this stuff! It's a fairly decent length ride, but definitely something to do if you have time after you've hit the highlights. The other boat rides all function as transportation.

We'll probably just do a counter service unless there's a really incredibly themed table service experience.
    If you want great theming, stick with Vulcania. We thought it was the best-themed counter-service spot—or at least the most exotic, since we've seen Mexican/Base Camp/Italian places at other Disney parks. The table service places are also well themed, but in more of an elegant and realistic way. Vulcania is otherworldy! Also, you may be pleasantly surprised by the food—we found it to be somewhere in between Americanized Chinese food and really authentic, but it was tasty.

We also want to try some of the famous popcorn if we can find a line that's not too long! Any tips on buying popcorn?
    None except that the absolute cheapest way is to get it in a cardboard box for ¥300. The buckets top out at ¥1,500, and refills are... ¥500? No more than ¥800.

Thanks, so the mermaid show is really good? We weren't really impressed by Vovage of the Little Mermaid in WDW.
    As with parades, we are not show fans by any means, and we thought DHS' Voyage of the Little Mermaid was terrible. The one at TDS is totally different—much closer to the elaborate Broadway style of the Nemo show at AK than your traditional Disney show. Also, you can get English translation devices for it.