TR: Day Trip with Toddler

Thanks to everyone's reviews and TDLFAN's suggestions, we had a wonderful day trip to TDL!!! Our party included our 3 1/2 yr old, 75 yr old grandfather, and 2 parents. Everyone except grandpa (who lives in Tokyo) had some jetlag, and as this was the first major park we have visited with our 3 1/2 yr old, our expectations in terms of how much we could accomplish were certainly lower than if we were different ages and more coherent. As I mentioned in my earlier post w/questions, we're not experienced Disney park goers (this is the first one both parents since we were ~4), so I can't make comparisons to other parks. I'm sure now, however, that we'll include TDL and/or TDS in our future trips to Japan!! Sorry if the following is TMI, but I want to get this out before we go home and I'm caught up in recovery/real life.

We visited on a Thursday, when the park opened at 10AM. We chose Thursday for our day trip because both Wed and Thurs generally seem to have lower visitor stats and because, booking a week early, the good weather outlook for Thursday seemed more sure. [Yes, we could have a done a 9AM opening to maximize time with our jetlag issues, but with the possible weather tradeoff at the time we pre-purchased tix, Thursday seemed better - naturally in the end the weather the whole week turned out to be flawless!] We got there 1 hour early as recommended and could see that this was indeed excellent advice. We eventually inched up to stand under a covered/shaded part of the line, but even my FIL (who lives in Japan) and husband (who grew up there) were amazed at just how many people showed up on a day with potentially “lighter” attendance.

The stampede at opening did not take place. As TDLFAN mentioned, a few people do run (saw a few students actually booking it, but the others had more of a non-athletic run) and even saw a few (but not many) parents with strollers running. We walked briskly!

FP for Pooh was excellent. Because we did the kiddie-type rides that for the most part have shorter lines, the longest line we stood in was for Dumbo, at 40 minutes. We really aimed for short lines, as lines are tough w/very little kids. From 10AM opening through almost 4PM we went to/saw/rode Toon Town, Small World, the carousel, FP for Pooh at 11, Alice's Tea Cups, Pinnochio, lunch (Sallie's, due very short line, proximity to where we were and need to eat, 1 hour), then Dumbo (1 hour with line), Jubilation parade, grandpa and dad did Pirates, and we watched the Pirate Band (which was pretty good and especially lively for a 3 yr old!), and stood in line for a photo with Pooh prior to leaving. I'm not sure if this is "efficient" but we certainly did more and held out better than I actually expected given our jetlag patterns (which involved marathon afternoon toddler naps - I'm fairly certain that at least some of us were running on pure adrenaline by the end of the afternoon). The only part we tried for but did not do was visit Mickey's house, because even at opening it had a 70 minute wait. (I think this is why a few parents w/strollers ran at opening!)

The practice of sitting for parades is really wonderful. The plastic sheeting folks use to stake out their spots was interesting - I saw something for sale like this in the city prior to our visit (complete with cute cartoons, etc.) and wondered what on earth it was....

Park was remarkably clean, including rest facilities. While rest facilites are often (IMO) fairly clean in Japan, it was really wonderful given the number of visitors.

Bag check at the entrance was nominal for us. They just looked in my purse - didn't go through the whole bag/every cranny. I didn't expect an airport screening experience but you never know these days.

We took a different train route to get there than recommended on the Disney site (I found their directions online with train signage to be pretty good, though). My husband didn't want to do the long walk in between stations and also have so many stops, so from Shibuya as a starting point we took the “Saikyo Line Kawagoe Line- Rinkai Line through service” (I think, per this map, although I admit I’m a little train challenged – you can keyword search on the PDF http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf ) and switched once when we were close to the Maihama/TDR station. Apparently this is a more expensive ride but the train was very fast, and even though I think the route may appear longer on a map, it was pretty efficient. One downside to getting there for 9AM line-up and 10AM opening was that we were crammed into the super-full morning commute trains (which I think would have been the case whichever train route we took – maybe it would have been better to do a 8AM line-up and 9AM opening, but someone else would have to speak to this.)

Mom Comments:
    - Getting into the park, strollers are admitted into the park through a gate in the center of each line - the gate is opened only for those with a stroller, and everyone else goes to a turnstile on the right or left. Someone behind us in line mentioned this, and given the number of people in each line, it was helpful to position the stroller in the middle of our line as we approached to be admitted. You don't get in any faster - you are admitted at about the same time as those you were in line with, but you just go through the gate in the center instead of turnstile.
    - They didn't check to see how old our child was. She didn't need a ticket <age 4, but it dawned on me as we stood in line that we had no proof of her age. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue at other parks, either, but it was a relief that no one asked as we would have had a hard time proving it w/o her passport.
    - Bring hats and sunscreen if it seems to be that season (saw 1 oz container of sunscreen for Y900!).
    - Strollers with really good canopy coverage are useful, even to shade your stroller seat when you park to go on rides (or bring a lightcolored blanket/sheet). Also try to park your stroller in the shade if available when going on rides. If you flew to Japan and brought a super small umbrella stroller for airport purposes, you might consider renting a stroller there. I would never do this in the US but the ones here looked good, had canopy coverage and nice storage, and I think the rental strollers would be cleaner than at home.
    - As in some other Japanese restrooms, small sinks and child-level hand dryers are available in some women's restrooms. Hand sanitizer was also available in restrooms. Some stalls also include permanently installed child-size toilet seats that fold down over the adult seat if needed. (I've seen these for sale for your home in the US but never in a public restroom.)

I am posting some other sites my husband used as references. I don’t read Japanese but maybe some folks here can comment as to their usefulness.

Attendance prediction calendar:
    http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

Reviews for each attraction with respect to children and pregnant women:
    http://homepage3.nifty.com/carib7/tdl/031atracution.htm

Re: TR: Day Trip with Toddler

Thanks for those links. I've not seen an attendance predictor before. Checked my dates, and it's looking pretty good.

Glad you had a great trip.

Thanks for posting the links, but can you help me understand the attendance predictor? I'm guessing that A is a lower attendance day with F being the worst (since E and F are on weekends) - is that right?
    Thank you, sandy

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Excellent trip report

Hope you visit again soon. And add DisneySea on the next trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Glad you liked the links. I will ask my husband for more explanation when he is back (he is still in Tokyo). He may have consulted some other sites (or subsites) as well. There is one that shows the longest wait of the day for each ride (but I have to get him to translate the ride names). I think the FP info here is right-on with respect to what we saw, but it was also helpful for us to target the low- or no-wait rides/attractions.

Sorry, I'm not good at replying to multiple posts w/quotes. Malin, I would definitely like to go back, and really do hope to do Tokyo Disney Sea. I kind of chastised my husband for not mentioning it before but he wasn't even aware that there was a separate park altogether that is unique to Japan (he last lived in Japan full time in the late 80s, so maybe he gets a pass here).

• Loves Mickey!

That attendance prediction calender is great thanks for sharing!!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Malin, I would definitely like to go back, and really do hope to do Tokyo Disney Sea. I kind of chastised my husband for not mentioning it before but he wasn't even aware that there was a separate park altogether that is unique to Japan (he last lived in Japan full time in the late 80s, so maybe he gets a pass here).
    Don't feel to bad as many people who live in California have no idea that Disney California Adventure is a seperate park to Disneyland. Tokyo DisneySea is not that well publicised outside of Japan so its an easy mistake for your husband to make. And another reason to come back.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    That attendance prediction calender is great thanks for sharing!!
    Since I can't read Japanese, here is another part of the same prediction site that was explained to me:
    http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/jam.htm

The calendar shows the color coded peak time wait (for most rides, at 3:30PM) on a given day of the week and also shows the weather (hi/lo temps in degrees C). You can see the color coded key to the right of this calendar. (Be sure to click the dark red option to the top left of the calendar to show info for TDL, or blue for TDS.)

Further below the calendar is a table with lots of Japanese across the top, and dates vertically. This table shows maximum wait by ride at 3:30PM each day. Stuff in black and red/burgundy has really long waits.

Columns in table from left to right are as follows - please excuse the quick list with somewhat incorrect names but this was dictated to me, so hope you'll get the idea - count across the columns from the left to find your ride/attraction:
    1) Date/time
    2) Weather condition
    3) Ave temperature (degrees C)
    4) Omnibus
    5) Pirates of Caribbean
    6) Jungle Cruise
    7)Western River Rail
    8) Swiss Family Tree House
    9) Tiki Room
    10) Western Shooting Gallery
    11) Country Bear Theater
    12) Mark Twain Steam Boat
    13) Big Thunder Mtn
    14) Tom Sawyer Island Raft
    15) Splash Mtn
    16) Beaver Bros Canoe Adventure
    17) Peter Pan
    18) Snow White
    19) Pinocchio
    20) Dumbo
    21) Carousel
    22) Haunted Mansion
    23) Small World
    24) Alice Tea Party
    25) Pooh Hunny Hunt
    26) Roger Rabbit
    27) Minnie's House
    28) Meet Mickey
    29) Chip n Dale Tree House
    30) Gadget Go Coaster
    31) Donald's Boat
    32) Star Tours
    33) Space Mtn
    34) Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster
    35) Micro Adventure
    36) Star Jet
    37) Grand Circuit Raceway
    38) Monsters Inc
    39) Total Ave Wait

Times for Swiss Family, Donald Boat, and Chip & Dale are not included in calcs (those show zeros).
    "R" means under maintenance
    Last edited by smcandrew; 06-14-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo in URL

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstress View Post
    Thanks for posting the links, but can you help me understand the attendance predictor? I'm guessing that A is a lower attendance day with F being the worst (since E and F are on weekends) - is that right?
    Thank you, sandy
    Yes, my husband confirmed that you are right (sorry, I had to scroll to bottom to see this "grade" for each day, didn't realize it was there):
    http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

I had focused more on the calendar at the very top, which shows weather info, and color-coded attendance in the thousands - kind of the same info, but your "grading" system at the bottom of the page is a more efficient snapshot. According to the calendar at the top of the page, we went on June 3, which was a "B" or light blue, with attendance of only 24,000 people (click red bar at top left of calendar for TDL, or blue for TDS). We were just discussing how we really lucked out.

Sorry to annoy those of you who read Japanese. Please feel free to chime-in/supplement.
    Last edited by smcandrew; 06-14-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: url typo

Thanks!! The website and the charts are really neat. Thank you so much for taking the time to transcribe the list too. This'll definitely help me plan my November trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstress View Post
    Thanks!! The website and the charts are really neat. Thank you so much for taking the time to transcribe the list too. This'll definitely help me plan my November trip!
    No problem! Hope it proves accurate (I think it was for our day, as the waits shown are in line with what we experienced).

Have been loving lurkyloo's TR, but in my rush to see images have been confused by recent photos showing parkas and seemingly cold weather (it was unusually pleasant and non-humid during our early June trip). Finally understood that she was there in March (Dates: March 16-April 2, 2010), and recent part of her TR has photos from TDL on day 7 of the stay. Using the attendance calendar, you can go back in time (click "前月" button to left of the center bar showing "2010年 6月") and go back to March, or "2010年 3月", which puts her there during a SUPER busy week/season -- like every weekday for March 22-26 shows 60,000 visitors/day, and weekends with 80,000 visitors. That's a LOT of people!!!

Good luck with your planning! (November looks pretty good for the most part.)