Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What is the difference between the TDL castle and the MK castle?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    It isn't that hard to believe, stranger things have happened....

Why would you doubt it...

From all I've read the castles heights are
    • MK 189 ft
    • TDL 167 ft
    • DLP 160 ft
    • DL 77 feet (HKDL is the same I believe)
    oh sorry I honestly thought they where identical in height. that's odd. and It's missing a tower too as someone said that is well weird.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.--Albert Einstein

• Banned User

It's not missing a tower. It's just covered by the trees in that photos. The towers are all identical, and so is the overall height of the castle. However, since the TDL castle was built on reclaimed land, it did settle into the ground some, reason why it may appear to be lower in height, but it is not. They were built from the same blueprints.
    And yes, I am glad OLC changed the colors of their castle, and it does look more polished, stylish and overall more textured, which is actually the real difference between the bland paint job in Orlando, versus the more elegant look in Tokyo.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    It's not missing a tower. It's just covered by the trees in that photos. The towers are all identical, and so is the overall height of the castle. However, since the TDL castle was built on reclaimed land, it did settle into the ground some, reason why it may appear to be lower in height, but it is not. They were built from the same blueprints.
    And yes, I am glad OLC changed the colors of their castle, and it does look more polished, stylish and overall more textured, which is actually the real difference between the bland paint job in Orlando, versus the more elegant look in Tokyo.
    Yes, it is missing a tower - possibly two. You're looking in the wrong place. There are no trees in that portion of the photo to hide it! Right in the center of the photo, on the uppermost level. There's a whole section missing right behind the highest window.

As Grinning Ghost pointed out it most certainly is missing a tower/turret. It is not just a tree blocking view issue, there is a difference that can clearly be seen in the two photos above. I heard it was sinking slightly due to the reclaimed land, but according to what I've read it is actually 22 feet shorter.... I doubt it is sinking at such a rate. When building the castle shaving a few inches off here and there would not make much difference to the eye and still make it appear nearly identical. It looks like it is several feet shorter in the lower portion of Tokyo's castle where the stone work is, partial due to it sinking even. When MK was being build they wanted (a weenie) something tall enough to draw the people in from the Transportation and Ticket Center but not too tall that you could see it from front of the train station 189 feet is what works best. They probably didn't have that concern while building TDL because the approach to the park is different so they altered the blue prints a little (perhaps even to save money). Either way it is still a beautiful castle and I really love the newer paint scheme.

• Just another Disney fan..

The height above grould level at MK includes the first story the entire park is built upon. Any warning light or aviation regulation must take the first floor into account to calculate the total height above ground.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    The height above grould level at MK includes the first story the entire park is built upon. Any warning light or aviation regulation must take the first floor into account to calculate the total height above ground.
    Wow, that was smart.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Munchings & Crunchings

Roger has a great point. TDL is not built on top of utilidors or anything like that, since it's on reclaimed land. I'm sure that's the reason the MK castle is so much higher on paper, but doesn't appear to be so visually.

That is a very interesting point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12