Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the difference between the TDL castle and the MK castle?

What is the difference between the castle in Tokyo and the castle back at the Magic Kingdom? Is there a height difference? Is the colors different?

Re: What is the difference between the TDL castle and the MK castle?

Magic Kingdom's castle is 189 feet high, which is about 10 feet taller than Tokyo's. Other than that they used to be nearly identical, unit a few years ago Tokyo DL gave their castle a completely different paint job. They now have painted gold accent all over the castle dark grey "stones" on the lower half with browish/pinkish shading added to the upper half and the turrets are a deeper blue than Florida's. Also there used to be a Mystery Tour attraction located inside Tokyo's that Orlando never had, although it is now closed. While Florida's has a restaurant and suite not found in it's Japanese counterpart. Also they castle stage set up is different at each park. I can't think of anything else.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 06-23-2010 at 06:55 PM.

• The Study of Wumbo

I think the biggest difference is the colors. They are definitely different at Tokyo.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Magic Kingdom's castle is 189 feet high, which is about 10 feet taller than Tokyo's. Other than that they used to be nearly identical, unit a few years ago Tokyo DL gave their castle a completely different paint job. They now have painted gold accent all over the castle dark grey "stones" on the lower half with browish/pinkish shading added to the upper half and the turrets are a deeper blue than Florida's. Also there used to be a Mystery Tour attraction located inside Tokyo's that Orlando never had, although it is now closed. While Florida's has a restaurant and suite not found in it's Japanese counterpart. Also they castle stage set up is different at each park. I can't think of anything else.
    I wonder why they would build Tokyo's 10 feet shorter. That's kind of wacky lol.

Quote Originally Posted by theeighthpassenger View Post
    I wonder why they would build Tokyo's 10 feet shorter. That's kind of wacky lol.
    I doubt they did. Like how DL's and HKDL's are the same but the color and the walk through. I think they are identical except TDL's has more gold accents, the lower stone work is darker and the castle has a pinkish maybe yellowish color to it. Overall I think Tokyo's is nicer.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.--Albert Einstein

The new Imagineering book that came out this month has a page in it that shows the color schemes of all the castles. Lined up together, the difference is very obvious.

Cinderella Castle in Tokyo…

Cinderella Castle in Orlando!

It isn't that hard to believe, stranger things have happened....

Quote Originally Posted by esquivel View Post
    I doubt they did.

Why would you doubt it...

From all I've read the castles heights are
    • MK 189 ft
    • TDL 167 ft
    • DLP 160 ft
    • DL 77 feet (HKDL is the same I believe)

• The Study of Wumbo

Perhaps Tokyo has different height regulations. Remember, Cinderella Castle's height is as high as it can be in Florida without an air traffic light, right? Maybe the Tokyo laws are different.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Not sure what requirement Japan has though I would think it was universal. In Florida, and probably the rest of USA, the max height to avoid the red light is 200 feet. At WDW Tower of Terror is 199 feet and Everest is 199.5 feet.

• Future Disney Imagineer

I definitely like the TDL's castle better, because of the color-scheme.

Also TDL castle is supposed to get a Cinderella walk-through attraction with a big ballroom in the middle. That is certainly different compared to WDW's restaurant

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Also TDL castle is supposed to get a Cinderella walk-through attraction with a big ballroom in the middle. That is certainly different compared to WDW's restaurant
    Jim Hill has reported that the Cinderella attraction replacing the Mystery Tour (RIP) is basically the same thing that's going into the Fantasy Forest at WDW.
    -Hale (wumbology)

• Future Disney Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Jim Hill has reported that the Cinderella attraction replacing the Mystery Tour (RIP) is basically the same thing that's going into the Fantasy Forest at WDW.
    Really? It's going to have live actors, and a 5-minute show where the Fairy Godmother transforms Cinderella's dress?

I pictured it being more like sleeping Beauty walkthrough with some show scenes and display cases telling the story and a big ballroom in the middle without dancing Cinderella.
    Could the end result possibly be a mix of both?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

May have to do with the park being situated directly over the flight path to Haneda Airport. Its very common to see many planes past by the Resort daily. TDR would not be the only Disney Resort to have height restrictions over its park. So does Disneyland Paris.

Although different to the discription given by the OLC in the press release. I suspect though Jim is probarely right that some elements will be the same. But TDL attraction will be set inside the Castle so expect a bit more bling. The WDW is being placed inside a Chateau.

Below is a discription of both attractions starting with TDL.

The Disney classic film
    Cinderella has been well- loved around the world since its

premiere in 1950. Now guests can experience the world of Cinderella through dioramas
    and paintings inside Cinderella Castle. Also recreated within the castle is the grand
    ballroom where Cinderella danced with Prince Charming.

Guests meet Cinderella outside of her house. She wears her old scullery maid clothes, while her stepmother and stepsisters are in the house. The Fairy Godmother uses her wand to give Cinderella her beautiful blue dress for the ball, and even glass slippers.
    Cinderella then asks the guests to help her prepare for the ball by practicing to dance with her.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    Cinderella Castle in Tokyo…

Cinderella Castle in Orlando!

Looks like one tower/spire is missing in the TDL version. Should be just to the left and behind, and much taller than the spikey spire just to the left of center in these photos. Beyond that, they seem to be identical except for the coloring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast