1-day plan of attack each for Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea

Hi everyone! Will be going to Tokyo this 1st week of August (i know -- dreaded summer heat!!!) and we'll be doing Tokyo Disney for 2 days with DH, 9yo daughter & 3yo son.

We plan to do Tokyo Disneyland on Tuesday, Tokyo Disney Sea on Wednesday.

-- Should we do Disney Sea first before Disneyland?
    -- We arrive Monday in Tokyo & will be staying in Shibuya. I know there's a Disney store somewhere. Can I buy our park tickets here already?

Some questions for both parks:

- I know we should get there like at least 40 mins before park opens. If I had bought our tickets from the Shibuya store, all I have to do is line up in the entrance line right?

- Will be coming from Shibuya. What time is best to leave and what route via train?

- Upon entering, I know we should get a fastpass for 1 ride and ride another on standby. Which rides?

- Which second fastpass to get?

Re RIDES: since we are with our kids and we're not really big thrill junkies, we can skip the roller coaster ones (or do single rider for the must rides since we can't leave our kids). So that one is not really top priority.

We want to be able to watch the shows & do the MUST RIDES that are non roller coasters (i.e. Winnie the Pooh). We've gone to Disneyland Anaheim, DCA, HKDL so we know the basic rides already.

- Question: my daughter is a big fan of the autographs -- when we enter I'm afraid this will distract her and will cause us to line up for like an hour. Is there some kind of a park or garden where we can go later in the afternoon to have it signed?

- What are must-see shows and are there parades / fireworks?

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Re: 1-day plan of attack each for Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea

I don't know enough about crowd patterns at the Disney Parks to tell you which one to go to first or what it will be like on those days, but moving on.

There is a Disney Store in Shibuya. I'm not sure where you're staying but if you go from the main intersection (the one you see in all the movies) in front of shibuya station and take the route in front of you on the right and then when you see a fork in the road take a left. Really if you keep your eyes peeled you can't miss it, it looks like castle. I'm sure at your hotel they'll be able to give you more precise directions.

On the Third Floor of the Disney Store there is a Ticket Counter. My guess is it will look like this At least that is how it looked last night.

From Shibuya by train it will take upwards of 40 Minutes to get there. There are a lot of routes, but the simplest is probably the JR (Japan Railway) Yamanote Line to Tokyo Station and then the Keiyo/Musashino Line to Maihama.

Rides: This is just my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but:
    Tokyo Disneyland: Winnie The Pooh's Honey Hunt, Monsters Inc: Ride and Go Seek

Tokyo Disney Sea: I think Sinbad is good and the Little Mermaid Area, but really the Shows are TDS are spectacular particularly Big Band Beat and you can get fast passes for these, they're to the left in the Mediterranean Water Front.

I'm not so sure about Autographs, characters are relatively sparse in Tokyo Disney Sea, at Tokyo Disneyland they generally congregate in front of World Bazaar.

Should we do Disney Sea first before Disneyland?
    from our recent trip (6/14/10), we found DS to be less crowded, but still many people. Queues are less, but places such as Mermaid lagoon seem to be packed with families and queues are long...

- I know we should get there like at least 40 mins before park opens. If I had bought our tickets from the Shibuya store, all I have to do is line up in the entrance line right?
    we were there about that time before parks opened, it was still long... whew! Not sure about the pre purchased ticket, but I know we purchased at the hotel and we just lined up at entrance and didn't have to do anything else.

- Upon entering, I know we should get a fastpass for 1 ride and ride another on standby. Which rides?
    If anything, run straight to Pooh's honey hunt and get a fast pass..... WALK SUPER FAST AS THESE RUN OUT REALLY QUICK..... queue for this ride is most of the time over 60 minutes at least when we were there (we didn't get a chance to ride this our last visit cause lines were so long ) queue for smaller rides like snow white, pinocchio, peter pan were not so long and moved quick..... If it's the newest ride you want to do, WALK FAST TO THE FAST PASS OR QUEUE FOR MONSTERS INC..... when we were there, fast passes were out by noon... and buzz lightyear.... Oh, buzz light year will be fun too could be the second fast pass.....

We want to be able to watch the shows & do the MUST RIDES that are non roller coasters (i.e. Winnie the Pooh). We've gone to Disneyland Anaheim, DCA, HKDL so we know the basic rides already.
    You have to experience all the rides in TDL..... We've been to HDL, Anaheim and DCA..... they do not compare to what you will experience in TDL or TDS.... in my opinion..... try to do it all if you can! Watch the parades... they are awesome! the shows are great too if you can catch them all.... not sure if one day will cut it though.

I am not sure bout autographs... we really never do that. But I know at TDL there are a good amount of characters throughout the day everywhere. At the entrance, there are queues for the more popular characters such as mickey and pooh... but we were able to catch them some other times in other areas at least on other trips we have been on to TDR.....

At any rate, you will enjoy your time there! it is absolutely amazing!

• You have much to learn...

Just a suggestion- being in the middle of the summer & crowds at their worst, I would suggest trying Monsters Inc first- just go straight there and ride since most likely the fastpass line will be much longer than the standby line (I'm not kidding). Kailona must have hit one of those rare days at TDR that weren't too busy. I've seen fastpass for Monsters Inc run out within the first hour to hour and a half of park opening. I'd personally rather wait an hour to get on the ride- than an hour to get a fastpass that may run out before you get there.

Pooh is great too, but it dosen't run out of fastpasses as quickly as Monsters Inc does- so you would have a much better shot at getting a Pooh fastpass later on in the morning- but they may be well gone before noon too.

In TDS I wouldn't miss Journey to the Center of the Earth since you can't see that anywhere else. Their Indiana Jones is great too. I wouldn't waste too much time on raging spirits- unless you really want to- but you said your kids weren't into coasters that much anyway.

Maybe someone else can help- but I really haven't noticed very many people getting autographs from characters- but it's usually so crazy around the characters that I give up and move on. I know they all do photos, but aren't too sure about the autographs and if all characters do sign or not.

One good thing is that you're visiting during the week since weekends will most likely be absolutely jam packed.

Enjoy the parades and shows and don't rush too much since it's extremely hot and humid there during the summer- but have fun.

Thanks so much for the advice! We've gone on the Pooh ride in HDL and Anahaim so I think we're gonna go for the Monsters Inc (although is this also the same as DCA's?).

Some questions though:
    Is Journey to the Center of the Earth & 20,000 Leagues roller coaster rides? Can my 3yo son do the ride? Hope someone can explain the rides.

Great to hear we can buy the tickets in Shibuya store. We're staying at Tokyu Excel so I'm guessing its very near?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

I personally dont think Journey to the Center of the Earth is ideal for a 3 year old because it gets quite scary towards the end. I still remember my parents taking me there when i was 6 in 2001 and ive hated the ride so much only till our recent trip in April!

• TDR... It gets the love!!

Quote Originally Posted by iamtinkerbell View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice! We've gone on the Pooh ride in HDL and Anahaim so I think we're gonna go for the Monsters Inc (although is this also the same as DCA's?).

Some questions though:
    Is Journey to the Center of the Earth & 20,000 Leagues roller coaster rides? Can my 3yo son do the ride? Hope someone can explain the rides.
    You will have a lot of fun there!! Just incase you don't know, the Pooh ride in Tokyo is very different to the Pooh rides elsewhere around the world. The only real similarity is the story, with the blustery day, Tigger, dream sequence etc etc. But whilst some people HATE the Disneyland Pooh ride, I dont know of anyone who doesn't like the Tokyo one. So just a little tip and the Monsters Inc. ride in tokyo is also very different from the one in DCA- it has better theming and it is an interactive ride with flashlights, somewhat like Buzz Lightyear.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is a bit like Test Track... not sure if you have been to Epcot at WDW but that is what it could be closest related to. It is loud, and it has a fast bit near the end where you shoot out of the volcano. Although 20,000 Leagues on the other hand is really fine for any age, except those with back problems some hate it, some love it. It would be good for you to give it a try and make up your own opinion. There is one "darker" scene in 20,000 Leagues, but the children SHOULD still be fine, but you may want to try it out first. It generally doesn't have nearly as long a lines as those found next door at Journey to the Center of the Earth. Enjoy!
    Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

If I had bought our tickets from the Shibuya store, all I have to do is line up in the entrance line right?
    Yes its as simple as that. A real time saver from having to join the lines to purchase tickets once you arrive at the gates. I recently was able to do this while staying in Osaka. Best decision you could make.

Question: my daughter is a big fan of the autographs -- when we enter I'm afraid this will distract her and will cause us to line up for like an hour. Is there some kind of a park or garden where we can go later in the afternoon to have it signed?
    Unfortunately not. Also Guests in Japan tend not to line up and will gather a circle around the Character. It can get rather intense trying to get autographs and pictures. Also avoid visiting Mickey's House as its always the longest line of the day. My tip if your after a chance to meet Mickey than visit the Saludos Amigo's Greeting Deck. Lines are usually much shorter than at the Disneyland Park. Check for times. Another Greeting location is Ariel's Greeting Grotto.

What are must-see shows and are there parades / fireworks?
    Jubilation and Dreamlights are the must see parade's at Tokyo Disneyland. Don't worry to much about the shows unless you have time. Try and catch one of the Cool the Heat shows if you want to cool of and get wet.(optional)

Over at Tokyo DisneySea, Mythica is the main show and is fantastic. Also BraviSEAmo is worth checking out and so is the Bon Fire Dance.

In regards to shows a lot of them will only be giving out tickets via lottery. I believe the new Midsummer Night's Panic and both One Man's Dream II and Big Band Beat are only available by this option. But check with Guests Relations on the day of your visit.

• Loves Mickey!

Hello iamtinkerbell!

Let me know when you are visiting and we will try to help you with FP's if we are free. What day to do what park depends on what part on the week you are visiting on. You should probably try to do TDL on the less crowded day.

The daytime show for TDL has a kids viewing area and one parent is allowed in per child so you may want to keep that in mind.The night show at TDR is lottery but if you don't win you can still see the show from outside the seated area without a problem.

The characters definitely do autographs so just let them know and the will do it! TDS has some character greetings that are scheduled so just check the park schedule for times.

Journey has a height limit so your son might not be able to ride. My son is also three and is tall enough to ride all the rides at TDL but can not ride Journey, Indy, or Raging Spirits at TDS. If your son doesn't reach the height requirement ask for a Future Riders card. Even if you don't come back to TDS it is a nice souvenir for him!

Definitely check out Big Band Beat!, Mythica, and Dreamlights, Jubilation is also nice. If you watch the summer shows please be very careful with any camera equipment as the water goes quite far and it can be damaged.

Good luck with your trip planning!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Resident of the Caldera

Do THIS: run like hell to Monster's Inc. and ride it. Then go to Pooh's Hunny Hunt: you MUST ride it because it has nothing to do with the Pooh ride in any other park. It will be one of the highlights of your day, so don't skip it. After you get off Monster's Inc., go to Pooh very quickly and get a FastPass if the standby line is longer than 30 minutes. If less, then ride it.

Buzz is the same as at all the other parks and not a big deal. Skip it.

Other rides with big lines are Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and believe it or not, The Haunted Mansion. So, with your kids, do Haunted Mansion third or get a FastPass if the line is too long.

The line for Pirates can also get long (and it, like Jungle Cruise and Small World, has no FastPass).

No lines for Country Bear Jamboree (fun in Japanese, but some of the songs are in English), Tiki Room with Stitch, Swiss Family Tree House, Mark Twain (make sure you do this--there's a lot more Indian village stuff to see than in Anaheim). Also do the Western River Railroad, which will have a 30 to 45 minute wait.

Toontown is also lots of fun: much better than the version in Anaheim. There is no FastPass for Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. If you like pizza, eat at Huey ,Duey, and Looey's Good Time Cafe in Toontown: they have great Mickey shaped pizza.

It's also VERY VERY hot and humid. Make sure you all drink lots of water all day long or you'll get heatstroke.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

It's also VERY VERY hot and humid. Make sure you all drink lots of water all day long or you'll get heatstroke.
    Excellent advice. And remember cup sizes offered at all Restaurants are on the small size. So you may want to buy more in quantity. Especially since you will have to queue for everything.