Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: TDR Summer 2010 Update Report

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As far as I know, airline service to Japan is still available...
    Really?!?!? Is that how deeply discounted WDW is now a days?
    Yeah, well, in Feb06, at the height of the wealth bubble and before WDW ran into trouble and began discounting visits like mad, I could do WDW on my own for a week for something like $1250. Now it's around $1000 just to roundtrip the west coast to Tokyo in flying. Our dollar has been devastated a lot since early 2006 and while most all other currencies have also fallen yen is sort of the exception because Japan had already hit recession so hard that there was nowhere else to go.

I suppose now is the time (now is the best time) to go see DLP instead.

Actually, there would be a lot less crowding in TDR's popular rides if it wasn't because of fastpass and THAT is what needs to go.
    How so? Assuming peak efficiency, rides are still making the same Riders Per Hour with or without Fastpass. Running at peak efficiency with Fastpass requires a lot of human labour, though, which is why I always was surprised that all Disneys, foreign and domestic, were so committed to the idea.

Keep in mind that both parks in Japan remain one of "Disney's" most affordable park experiences..
    That only is running under the assumption that you already live in Japan. That's a mighty assumption on this board.

I don't think that crowding will ever be alliviated at TDR, simply because they are revered in Japan and they continue to commit themselves to offer the very best entertainment and special events possible to garranty the crowds are there. They for one have me in their pocket.
    Well, ending FastPass will have one important effect: end the illusion of lines that are shorter than they are. Because you can't increase riders per hour, the standby line is actually shorter than it really is and moves very slow. And those slow lines are already very very long. Ending FP will cause them to go even longer (even though they are always moving) and the amount of square footage that OLC will have to devote to queues will make them want to build more stuff to do, since that's the only thing that makes park capacity go up.

they should do at TDR and in every Disney park on Earth is what I have been saying all along: CHARGE FOR FASTPASS SERVICE!!!

You heard it here first folks!!! People *are willing* to pay more for less waiting in line. Universal got it right and are reaping the rewards, and it has NOT cut into their business in USJ in Osaka, or even in the US properties. Plus I gladly bought the Express book for Universal Singapore.
    I suppose. But people with FP service, paid for or no, have consequences in making the park appear busier than it really is when people aren't in queues. A DL with 40,000 people just 'looks' more packed in this era than it does in 1993.

I'm curious what OLC's profit margins must be like because while they're getting incredible volume they must also invest quite a bit back into the park to keep things in the condition they are in. I don't know what size and condition the property was at before the Resort additions like TDL and all these hotels, but at some point you either cannibalize space or save up the cash to buy up more land. Disney USA has just so many things on their plate that they will never save up the revenue to buy more of Anaheim no matter what their business model is.

But here's my question to you, TDLFAN. If your choices were...
    1) DLR for one week every 1-2 years
    2) WDW for one week every 5 years
    3) TDR for one week every 10 years

Which would go for? I would agree that TDR is worth saving for from a fiscal point of view, but from a mortality one I don't think I'm going to have many chances at magic left in my lifetime if I go that route.

I have a feeling Door #2 would be your absolute last choice.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 08-17-2010 at 10:37 PM.

• Banned User

My assumption about Fastpass is not based on ride capacity, but at what speed you can move people thru the queue. In Tokyo, as you know.. the standby lines can be 2 hrs long at times. That is a LOT of people sititng there waiting, while selected few skip to the front. I honestly believe (and DLR was proof of this to me last month) that by eliminating fastpass and utilizing ALL of the space available in the queue, that would eliminate a little bit of clutter (or cut back on "staking" people if you will, which causes clutter). The way FP is administered now, there is a lot of unused queue space that is sitting there empty so FP holders can walk up to the front. While utilizing all the space and packing all guests into all of the available space, it would cut on clutter or staking to some degree at TDL, plus the lines would move faster rather than standing there while you wait for people who showed up on time and after their FP windows expeired, to be let in front of you. I would estimate the wait times for all rider would be reduced by 15-20% when compared to the current stand by wait tiimes.
    Example.. at DHS, Toy Story Mania is on average a 1 hr-75 minutes wait time on stand by queue. At DCA, without FP servive and on a very crowded summer day, I only waited 38 minutes on my watch.
    FASTPASS NEEDS TO GO FOR GOOD! Or else, it needs to be a paid for service like Universal's Express. And even so, I honestly believe that by charging for FP, the stand by wait tiimes will be reduced some when some guests choose not to buy the priviledge. Disney people are idiots. They came up with a system that is obviously flawed, but coould make them a lot of extra income solely on the illusion that it is a positive thing for guests. And the stupid guests are so selfish with their time that they actually believe that as well.

But we'll never agree, nor will I be able to defend my point of view, so screw it.

As for going to DLP.. are you nuts? Even with a slight improvement on the euro vrs dollar currencies.. Paris is still a rather very expensive trip, so that's not a good idea at this tiime.

And to answer your final question. I would honestly do DLR every two years. It's a more magical place, and much more enjoyable experience, which I believe remains a better value over WDW. I would try to do TDR as often as financially possible simple because of the ever changing experiences they have at their parks, and their high standards. plus Japan is a cool place to visit. Finally, if I was a west coaster.. I would not bother doing WDW more than once every 8 yrs, simply because not much changes there. It's a time capsule and to really experience a somewhat different WDW trip, you have to give them at least a decade to change things. Example: Reflections of Earth is going on 11 yrs...same for the parades, and most of WDW's popular rides still look pretty much the same today as they did a decade ago. Only in the last 3 yeras have I seen some change at WDW parks that, if I was from out of town, would compel me to visit. Same for Paris and Hong Kong, for the time being.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    But we'll never agree, nor will I be able to defend my point of view, so screw it.
    Uhm.. I agreed with everything in that post.

• Banned User

Anyways.. TDLFAN was back in TDR this afternoon and evening. Just for a few hours.. and was able to catch the last Cool the Heat show of the day (feat. Donald) and BonFire Dance. Both very dynamic presentations. The audience reaction at both shows is just fabulous.. and its no wonder why these shows are regarded as favorites by the local fans. BonFire for example... you see grown men and women, along with children... just dancing euphorically about the stage. It's what makes these shows so fabulous: total abandon and just having fun. And Aladdin was easy on the eyes. Mickey and Minnie's costumes are beautiful.. and would sink the budget at WDW.

I Did not have much time to go shopping.. but did get the new Alice in Wonderland popcorn bucket. Very nice and pink all over.

In other quick updates... construction continues in the area of the backside of the castle, Baby Mine store and around the Philharmagic area.

I also had the chance to have a quick meal at the new Ikspiari food court. I tried the Steakhouse counter... Very tasty hamburger meat, with steamed rise, veggies and soft drinl.. Shall go back and try other options as well. Best part, i enjoyed my meal in the company of such great friends.. like Ichigopara and JoeInJpn. Fun was had by all.

Of course there is already a lot of discussion on the internet about FastPass. I'm not sure if any new insight will be created here, but at least I think I can relate my own personal TDR experience.

I arrived at TDL on a Friday morning mid-August, about one hour after park opening. The park was already completely packed and announced wait times were from 60 minutes for most rides to 120 minutes for Pooh. I have never seen any Disney park so crowded. With use of Fast Pass, I was able to do everything in the park I wanted to do, which was most everything except for Jungle Cruise and Country Bear Jamboree. Every time we had FP we got on the ride immediately with no waiting.

Now, I cannot say exactly what the situation would have been if the FP system did not exist. However, I have no reason to believe that the FP system slowed down the queues one hour into park opening. In fact, with FP I have some reason to believe that folks spent more time getting FastPasses or browsing around gift shops because of FP, rather than being in the standby queue.

So there you have it. My very unscientific view of FP. I cannot claim greater knowledge than that. But, the idea of using FP as a 'placeholder' seems like I would always spend more time enjoying myself rather than waiting on line.

In the US, it even gives the knowledgeable Disney fan an advantage over the clueless. I started waiting on a standby line for Maelstrom (Epcot) when the FP system was not being used. The line grew, and they decided to uncover the FP machines. I got out of line, got an FP, browsed the gift shop for fifteen minutes, and then walked onto the ride, carefree. Other people in front of me were still standing on line.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234