Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Where did you guys get a look at the DCA Cast Fall Showcase? I'm curious now. That is a lot of Duffy costumes...hopefully not all at once, but probably yes...

I do hope that the quality is the same as the TDS costumes, because those are very nice. We'll see how well Duffy does. I know a lot of you don't get why he's popular, and have no interest, but I'll bet that there will be a lot of people who just pick one up because it's "cute". No hardcore line waiting, but you know the kind of guest I mean, the ones who don't think too much about something, they just want it because it somehow appeals to them. I can see Duffy being successful because of the cute costumes.

What I'm curious about is the presentations at WDW and DCA. I want to know exactly how Disney presents this without basically saying "We're relaunching a failed merchandise attempt". You know there will be people in the audience that ask about the "Disney Bear" from 2002. Will one of you guys who will be at any of them, keep notes on what Disney says? I want to see how they're going to "spin" the Duffy story.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Ok, I just looked at your report with scans, FutureImagineer183, thanks. From the story on the back of the card, it looks like Disney is actually being forthright about Duffy starting in the US, going to Japan and making it big and then coming back here as "Duffy". Good, they're not trying to "fool" anybody into thinking it was always "Duffy". Oh, and I need to get my hands on a set of those cards, LOL!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't care about Duffy? Yea he's cute I guess but going through the showcase I kept thinking to myself how CHEEZY the whole thing is! And idk if American guests will buy into it(although pretty much every single CM I talked to loved the idea and couldn't wait) it seems to me that this is just a ploy to cash in on the japanese guests that frequent the American parks.
    This is a pretty pro Duffy thread

@gurgi, I think most of them will come out at once. I need to examine them before I make a decision. But I will most likely end up buying all of them.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    This is a pretty pro Duffy thread

@gurgi, I think most of them will come out at once. I need to examine them before I make a decision. But I will most likely end up buying all of them.
    Oh, I'm sure I will too, but I don't know if I can afford to buy all of them at once...although we don't have prices yet. Hopefully they are available for a while so I can collect them in stages. I'm still buying the ones from TDS, so adding the US costumes on top of that will be a lot!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, Travis, where did you see a picture of a Bavarian Duffy costume? I can't find any.

Knowing Disney the costumes will stay out for a long time lol.
    Last edited by TravisMT81; 09-16-2010 at 01:08 PM.

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

• You have much to learn...

Ok, now I'm getting really confused- Where can this DCA Cast Fall Showcase be found. Did anyone post a link or photo of it somewhere I'm missing??

DCA Tracker

• Munchings & Crunchings

I was confused too, but found the topic eventually, LOL! FutureImagineer183 posted scans of the cards and Duffy stuff they gave away at the meeting. Here's the direct link.

Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X

• You have much to learn...

Thanks- I don't check out the other forums too much- there's just too much to read and look up in a day.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Thanks- I don't check out the other forums too much- there's just too much to read and look up in a day.
    I'm kind of the same way, also, I don't have too much to say in other topics. I lurk for news, but there are a LOT of fluff topics in the DLR and WDW sections, so it's hard to keep up-to-date, no offense to anybody over there...

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    it seems to me that this is just a ploy to cash in on the japanese guests that frequent the American parks.
    No way Disney Parks in the US would target such a small group of Guests for an entire merchandise line. What percent of total park attendance do you think Guests from Japan make up? I'd be surprised if it was more than a few percent.

• Banned User

I agree with Roger... but I also see the few japanese visitors getting all the Duffy stuff they can get at EPCOT and DCA, then taking it to TDR and showing it off...as if it was the holy grail of Duffy merchandise.
    This whole attempt by WDC is to see how far american guests can get into this bear thing. Personally.... and I hope to be wrong.. it will be huge FLOP. And further makes TDS' Duffy exclusivity feel all the more less-special.
    Over in HKDL.. since they say Duffy will arrive there in december.. I hope it does wonders for that park ... I mean, Cape Cod was a dead corner at TDS, and now? Busy busy with bear lovers. I would hope for the same to occur at HKDL.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    This just in!!! Apparently Duffy will be coming to Hong Kong Disneyland as well this december as part of the HKDL 5th anniversary celebration.
    Yup - four different CMs confirmed it yesterday when I was there. I was told he will be outside the Corner Cafe, but his debut is being coordinated with the start of the Christmas seasonal event in November. Pretty excited!

BTW TDLFAN, all the ghetto Duffy cousins were GONE from every store yesterday. I found one lonely one up on a shelf in Pooh Corner, but he was quickly snatched up. One of the CM's showed me a pic of a stuffed Scrump that is holding a pillow with Duffy embroidered on it. Finally found it, along with Angel as well. There were only about 3 left - apparently quite popular with the Japanese tourists (which btw, I saw several TDR fans who were all sporting their Duffy Halloween stuff). You will probably be back to the park before I get a pic posted as I am supposed to be packing right now to catch our flight tonite to the US (I didn't get back to Taipei from HK until nearly 2:30am lol). I'm gonna work on photo editing on the flight tonite so hopefully I can get some of the TDR Halloween stuff and lots of recent Duffy photos up!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    No way Disney Parks in the US would target such a small group of Guests for an entire merchandise line. What percent of total park attendance do you think Guests from Japan make up? I'd be surprised if it was more than a few percent.
    I think there are a lot more Japanese visitors than you might imagine - at least it used to be that way when I was visiting DL a couple times a week. When pin trading was getting started, there were throngs of Japanese tourists coming out. One of my overnight campouts for a Pin of the Month series - there was a group of Japanese who chartered a whole plane for the trip! It was Chip and Dale and this is when they were as big as Duffy is now. The CMs I met from TDR while we were in Paris last week said a lot of the employees are traveling to other parks now.

And they will come to get all the Duffy stuff and bring it back to TDR. It may backfire a bit though with the release of Duffy at HKDL so close. It's obviously much easier and cheaper for them to visit HK to get Duffy stuff. I am mixed on whether I hope HK costumes are different - I am going to need to win the lottery to pay for all these bear costumes and merchandise. Uuuugh.

Like TDLFAN said, they will bring everything back to show it off. That is why the Ebay auction prices are insane for the older, different colored bears. I have to admit though, you can guarantee I will be bringing my new California Duffy stuff when I fly back to TDR for the Christmas event in November. hee hee.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast