Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I'm just astounded that the longest thread in the Tokyo Disney Resort category seems to be about Duffy!
    LOL, oh, I don't know, I think Lurkyloo's amazing trip report is taking that honor. Still, we do talk a lot about Duffy here...

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Very nice post, Duffydad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Glad you stopped by to visit DuffyDad. I'm very happy of all your insights an thoughts on Duffy.
    You guys are swell!^^

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    I'll actually be flying down to WDW on 10/14- just by coincidence & will be checking out the new shop & walk around Duffy.

I don't know if I really have the room for another Duffy- but I guess I'll need the WDW/DL version now so I'll have the progression of the Disney Bear to TDL Duffy to the possessed HKDL current version to the newer Disney Parks version.

I'll pick up my first Shellie May next month...
    Hopefully not at a street corner. I'm excited that it will finally be time for the Christmas smiling Shellie May. I've been waiting all year so I can get her, make her poseable and finish my photo project! Here's hoping I still care enough to do it.

I'm so tempted to ask you to pick up some costumes for me, but I don't wanna get sucked back in...^^

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, I'm really happy to see you posting! It's been a long time and I've been thinking about you lately and hoping you were doing well. And...you've given me a lot to respond to, LOL! I miss the long discussions we used to get into about Duffy, and Disney...even if other people rolled their eyes.
    Thanks! And right back atcha.^^

...The 25th incorporated him very well. Not pushing him in with the other characters, but letting him celebrate in his own way, and with CM costumes each month that were both cute, and accurate. Those are the kinds of things I think even US fans would buy without question. The sense of nostalgia is different between Japan, and the US, but both groups love their parks. Anything celebrating their history is easy money for Disney...and don't they know it! I just don't think they're linking that history with Duffy at this point...
    Aladdin is so right about this. All the people who would really care about a Disney branded bear seem to hate the Disney Parks logo. It's insulting and lazy. I hope they're not gonna start using that logo on Duffys here, too...

...It's just a bunch of marketing people figuring out how to sell a teddy bear. I'm kind of shocked that they even bothered using the artwork and backstory (although slightly neutered) from TDS. On one hand, it's lazy...they didn't have to do the work. On the other hand, they could have just re-launched it with it's old story, only with a name now...

They certainly dumbed the character down, and I agree with you that it's not really the same anymore. Especially with "My Friend Duffy" and making him almost a drooling toddler. How, exactly, does a toddler sail a boat, or go on adventures without "supervision". And...running a cafe...aren't there child labor laws, LOL?
    I didn't understand exactly why I so strongly opposed Duffy's characterization as a child until now... DUH!!! Thanks, Gurgi! It always really bothered me to see him as a baby and I felt it was more than personal preference. Now I realize it's because it runs opposite to everything the character seems able to do... Unwise for establishing a new character.

...When I was little, I definitely had my stable of stuffed toys and there was a hierarchy. I'm sure we all did this. You know, there were your absolute favorites that you loved to death, and then you had some generic plush that really didn't matter. They were always the "stand ins", "stunt doubles", or "bit players". The main cast was the ones you really loved...everything else was expendable. Duffy shouldn't be the expendable one...

That's a problem I think WDC hasn't figured out yet. Americans are super cynical about everything. You can see this by looking at any topic about Disney. There is this "battered spouse" syndrome, I think. Fans feel abused, but can't leave...they feel like there might be something better around the corner. Still, they are wary of trusting Disney wholeheartedly. I think any time Disney tries to launch something, there is a sense of being parted from their money, or that Disney doesn't care about their legacy. I'm kind of in this boat myself. I keep being pushed further and further away from liking Disney, by the company's own doing. I just don't know if they are actually capable of really caring about a product. You know, creating something just for the fun of it, or to bring people joy. No, it's all about the bottom line these days, and I think that's because Disney is now several generations removed from it's founder and legacy. It's "any brand" corporation now. Duffy is no different to them. They see how much OLC makes on it, and they see dollar signs. They couldn't care less about love or happiness. They just wanted their marketing team to not do what they did the first time around, and also not totally piss off the fans...which they're not doing a very good job of, judging from any other "Duffy" topics online...

Yeah, so far, the US costumes are lacking that special something. Sure, they've got the Mickey marks, but there doesn't seem to be as much thought put into them as some of the early TDS costumes. I'll agree with you about the recent TDS stuff though. Not as much creativity either, but at least the quality is still there. Halloween was supremely disappointing for me, because not only was there just one option for Duffy, but it's basically the same as last year's. Ok, Shellie May got a matching one, but...that's it? I guess I can be happy that my wallet is not as empty this year...there is that.
    I definitely had favorites among my plush as a kid, but Duffy would have been number one. He would have been rare - only available in the Disney parks, and not even all of them. He would have been well-made. He would have been mine and he would have lived in my dreams and imagination. That's not the experience being offered to kids now, though. Overemphasizing how he's "Mickey's bear" really frustrates me... The official press release goes as far as to say:

As far as I'm concerned, this ruins the overall experience. Of course he should be Mickey's bear, but of course he should be my bear, too... And he should be his own character, too... And he should be the embodiment of the spirit of the teddy bear, too. If he's "just a teddy bear" and not THE teddy bear to the people who shepherd him, he will not make it. He is a teddy bear; he requires love. If you don't love him, how do you expect to get other people to?

EPCOT was the best choice for him, especially considering they're even mentioning Tokyo DisneySea in his story. I'm at least glad they didn't cram him into them Magic Kingdom or something like that. DCA is...an OK fit (better than Disneyland), but it's not as compelling as EPCOT. I agree though, that Disney could have gone further.

I don't think they love him either. Maybe OLC doesn't really either. At first though (before Shellie May and "My Friend Duffy"), you might be convinced that OLC did care. There was just enough Duffy, and they didn't over expose him. There was a carefully crafted backstory and sense of place. Now...not nearly as much. I wish you worked there too, if only to smack some people upside the head, and also to use your version of Shellie May's story.
    I dunno if the story from that card is gonna be widely available outside of last month's AP holder event, but I hope lots of people know he's from Tokyo. It would have been better to tell the Cape Cod part of his story as an abbreviation and let it be the real Cape Cod... Let Mickey and Duffy travel to Japan where people see Mickey's bear and go crazy for them, so Mickey tells Minnie and she decides to build the huge factory in Florida to take Duffy international. Then the bears are shipped out by sea from Paradise Pier in California. Each location would have its own exclusive storybook, and its own charming story - its own sense of place (while also contributing to further development of the character). If I write this stuff, will you put it on your blog, along with the old Shellie May story? I don't wanna make one, but I'd love to contribute to yours. You can also use my translations of the storybook if you want... I'll dig up the copies with the good artwork and send them your way.

...I just don't think Disney knows how to market a teddy bear to adults. It's like they're stuck on kiddie marketing. Everything they do seems to be filtered through that. There isn't that goal of entertaining the whole family. It's all about kids. Shows, parades, new attractions, movies. It's all been kind of dumbed down. Even if "Tangled" is a great movie (which, by all accounts, it seems to be), marketing didn't have enough faith that little boys would like a girly princess movie, so they changed it's name.

I didn't know what you meant by "Duffleganger" until reading further into your post, but yeah, I do agree that OLC let Disney have way to much influence here.

That's, unfortunately a problem with Disney marketing. They have to push everything quickly. They want growth instantly. They don't want to invest in something that will have such a slow, limited start. Everything has to burst out of the starting gate running. I don't know quite how OLC was able to hold back so long with Duffy, while his popularity grew. Disney hasn't really had anything like that in the States recently, that I can recall. I'm sure if they don't see results with Duffy, they'll drop him like a hot rock.
    That's my problem with Disney these days. They don't seem to make anything just because they want to make it. It seems all about trying to figure out what people will buy and then get that to them quick, while they'll still buy into it. It should be about making art and sharing art and moving people. At least, that's what Disney seemed to be about for me, even as late as Mulan and Emperor's New Groove and Stitch. But everything becomes a commodity with Disney; everything becomes just numbers.

This is why I love the hidden Mickeys and Maggie Parr's whimsical paintings - it's like you can see traces of the artists who actually make the brand possible. It's what I love so much about DisneySEA, and also what I used to love about Duffy. In every costume release, you could see someone's dedication to their craft; you could tell you were looking at a concept that had been carefully nurtured into reality. Now it just seems like picking apart pieces they think will bring in the dough. It's a very different vibe. I'm hopeful, though, that perhaps once Duffy is in the hands of the fans in the US, they will follow the Japanese example and take Duffy and make him their own in a way that WDC cannot stop or control. That's the only way I see for Duffy to be a real international success - for people to choose to take him out of Disney's hands and into their own.

I agree with you in theory, but I know that the WDC is loath to really give that much attention to other parks not run by them. Frankly, it's a shock they're even mentioning TDS in his new story at all. I would love for them to keep his Cape Cod roots, but I think they would also have to explain that there is a land in this "other" awesome theme park in Japan where Duffy really came from. Or...they could just pretend it's the real Cape Cod...but then that would be...weird.

I'm curious about what these animated "cartoons" they talked about will look like. If there were anything that could develop Duffy's character, it would be those. We've talked about Duffy being a "blank slate" before that anybody could project what they wanted on him. However, I think to get Americans interested, he needs a bit more. He does need more adventures, more interactions. Maybe those cartoons will do it...or maybe Disney will disappoint me again...there's that pessimist in me!
    I'm curious about the cartoons, too. It would be interesting if they used them to make Duffy into the adventurer/explorer/entrepreneur he used to be rather than the toddler the new stage show makes him out to be. I won't hold my breath, though. I agree that Duffy needs more story, but I think that story should expand naturally and organically, tying him carefullly to the places he appears. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Of all the things they did, WHY did they change his costume? It just made no sense to me. He got uglier, in my opinion. What was wrong with his first design? That one looked more like the plush bears than this new one does. If it was done just for the new show to be more fluid on stage, they still could have at least attempted to make it look like a giant version of the plush...they failed to do that...

Hence the Disney fan's cynicism. People do know Disney could do better, and many vocalize that on these forums and other fan sites. Disney doesn't seem to care though. They'll toss around "magic" and all that, but I feel like they've lost all sense of meaning. Those words they use for every marketing gimmick have become stale. "magical", "dreams", "wishes"...it's not special anymore. It's a testament to the original creators of many of the Disney characters that they still have staying power, because the WDC today, I don't think cares too much about that legacy. Oh, sure there are people within the company that do, but the bean counters and executives far outnumber them, I think.
    Yeah, the new greeting mascot is awful, but obviously MUCH cheaper. I'm inclined to agree with Ichigopara that this is the "why." And that's the other thing. Walt Disney was a master showman who spent what was necessary to make things "just so." OLC is like that, too. That's why they got Duffy right. I don't understand why they'd let him go back like this, unless maybe they had to. Maybe they didn't really own him...? Why does the largest entertainment conglomerate on Earth need to be so darned cheap with everything all the time? When will Disney love its own legacy enough to respect it? It just doesn't make any sense to me...

The sign is gone?? When did that happen? It's sad, I liked how that sign let people know that Cape Cod was special. Not that it wasn't before Duffy, mind you, but it's just a cute touch that ties Duffy to the port. I guess maybe now that he's being sold in other areas of the park, they don't feel like it's his home anymore? That's silly though, because he still needs to come from somewhere, why not acknowledge that?
    That's the thing, Gurgi. I get the feeling he's not gonna come from anywhere specific anymore. He'll just be "that teddy bear Minnie made," and that's that. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. If they're not gonna ground all the spaces he appears, they can't just leave Cape Cod the way it is. The sign's been changed since Shellie May appeared, of course. Maybe even since last Christmas, though... I think the first time I noticed it gone, it had been replaced with a Mickey/Minnie mistletoe spot or something...

...I loved your Shellie May story, and wish you could somehow get that to be the official one. It's still apparent that even OLC hasn't bothered with a longer story for her. The minimal stupid one on her tag is all we've got so far.

A red "Aunt Peg's" box for Duffy would be a very cute idea! They kind of do something similar at Christmas in TDS don't they? I've seen little plush Duffys in cardboard houses with snow on them. Adorable...
    The great thing about no story is no bad story, and after all the work I did on "Taffy," I honestly find it hard to imagine being as impressed with anything else they come up with. I'm actually kind of pleased they haven't bothered.

The ones you're thinking of are music boxes, I think, in the little red house window boxes. The Duffys aren't as cute as their bigger counterparts, though.

I would also not consider myself "maniacal". I happen to love Duffy, but I'm surprisingly discriminating when it comes to collecting anything else Disney. I'm one of the cynical fans, and I don't just buy everything Disney throws at me...

...Reading a lot of the posts on other forums and Disney sites after the Duffy presentation; most were extremely negative. There is almost a backlash from fans. I know there are people that did enjoy the concept, and bought Duffy plush, but there was a lot of hand-wringing online. People seem to be mostly offended that there is not really a presence, and attachment to Disney's past. It's being seen as a "buy me" marketing push. I'm not sure Duffy can withstand that without more thought being put in going forward. If Disney want this bear to make money, they'd better have some Disney fanservice tied in with Duffy...
    I'd say not just fan service, but genuine growth of the character. He can't be a child himself and do all the things he needs to do to have lasting appeal - fashion plate, photographer, patissier, sailor, mystic - without these elements, he's lacking any real Disney magic. If even his most hardcore fans think so, it's hard to imagine casual fans who don't know him thinking different. If they want Duffy to make money, they'll have to work for it and commit to his development. But they'll have to understand him first - something I don't even really see on the horizon. Though I do think he'll sell at Christmas. That was a good idea.

I like the sailor better than any of the other costumes they showed. It's not as sophisticated as the TDS, ones, and I agree with you about the name. Although, I felt that way about the "tourist" costume from TDS too. That one had Duffy wearing a t-shirt with his face and name on it. Talk about self-serving, LOL! This American sailor costume is like going to school with your name on your jacket so you won't lose it. Either that, or it's a giant "kick me" sign for bullies..
    Yeah, I never bought that one from TDS, either.

...Oh, and somebody PLEASE wash Shellie's bloomers...

LOL, yeah, the lederhosen are pretty gay, in a good way. The poncho is...kinda cute, but also looks kinda cheap. I'm going to need to see these in person, I guess. At half the price of TDS costumes though, I don't expect the same quality, unfortunately. The Disney character costumes seem like an afterthought, especially since BAB already has Buzz & Woody costumes.
    Yeah... I'm actually really bummed I bought the BAB ones, especially since I still haven't done those photos... If they really are half the price, I may just have to find a way to get those two...and that pirate... Crap... It begins...

That's the problem these days. The guys with the calculators never shut up. It's all about profit and growth or else. There is no concept of cultivation anymore. Everything MUST be a huge success or else...They don't think they can move enough units. I guess somebody felt like Duffy possibly could, but I guess time will tell with that, won't it?

He does have potential...quite a lot more people have "found" Duffy. I have no idea who did independently, or who did because of what was said in the TDR forums, but regardless, I know he's got a lot more fans around the world. We'll see if Disney can truly rise to the occasion here and do what's right with him.

Oh, and that Asia costume. I would guess that because there's also a China pavilion in World Showcase, that they're going for that "Asian" instead of Japanese. I wouldn't mind both, actually, and a costume from every single country around the lagoon.
    Hopefully there will be enough creative fans to add what's missing to the mix. The thing is, those fans will have to be old enough and talented enough to really create something. That's what the Japanese Duffy fanbase has that - and I'm just realizing this right now, this moment - isn't showcased with any other character, at least not to remotely the same degree! That's what made Duffy so incredible - the way his popularity depended on the fans' involvement! So every time you see Duffy, you see the embodiment of the feeling of being a fan, of being in the parks, of being a kid and holding onto a toy or a moment of such great quality that you wouldn't change it - satisfaction...it's a lot...and it's not really about Mickey...or Disney for that matter. Everybody who buys Duffy knows that there's an incredible fanbase here because one day at TDS assures that you see what fans are doing with Duffy and TDS is the only place you can get him (for now). Duffy actually was the bear of happiness (in the parks) and luck (to become such a surprise smash hit) and love (as a special gift). He still is all that to me, no matter what they do. But I hope fans do eventually find out what Duffy is really all about. He really is a very special teddy bear!

Sun's up. Gotta sleep for a couple hours!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    Hopefully not at a street corner. I'm excited that it will finally be time for the Christmas smiling Shellie May. I've been waiting all year so I can get her, make her poseable and finish my photo project! Here's hoping I still care enough to do it.

I'm so tempted to ask you to pick up some costumes for me, but I don't wanna get sucked back in...^^
    Yeah, I hope they release a smiling Shellie May too, to compliment my smiling Duffy.

Aladdin is so right about this. All the people who would really care about a Disney branded bear seem to hate the Disney Parks logo. It's insulting and lazy. I hope they're not gonna start using that logo on Duffys here, too...
    "Disney Parks" is pretty generic, and I think there has been resentment ever since they started combining the resorts. It's obviously a brand, but when each resort seemed to be special and treated individually, now it's a "Six Flags" concept. An overarching brand for everything. It makes everything just a lot more generic. Sure, it's easier to just make one plush Duffy with "Disney Parks" tags and sell him everywhere. I can't believe it would cost that much extra though to have park-specific tags. Oh well... I doubt OLC would use that logo though, since they haven't done that on anything else. They actually seem proud of their park branding. Each park uses it's own logo, and then there is "resort wide" merchandise available also. It's a nice way to do things.

I didn't understand exactly why I so strongly opposed Duffy's characterization as a child until now... DUH!!! Thanks, Gurgi! It always really bothered me to see him as a baby and I felt it was more than personal preference. Now I realize it's because it runs opposite to everything the character seems able to do... Unwise for establishing a new character.
    That's the part I don't get either. Sometimes they do this with Mickey Mouse too though. He toggles between child & adult all the time. With Duffy, I think they just figure it's cute to dress him up in costumes, and they don't think that maybe there should be a reason he's dressed that way. OLC does this with Duffy too. Last year he had a costume that looked like a baby's footie pajamas. It was adorable, but it made him look like a baby. The very next costume was a lobster fisherman, with peacoat, captain's hat & lobster bucket. How could he vary so wildly in character with each costume? With "My Friend Duffy", he's shown to definitely be a toddler, or at least extremely immature and naive. Does Mickey really need to be a babysitter too? The glimpses of adult behavior seem to have gone.

I would love if they treated Duffy like one of Mickey's contemporaries. Why does he have to be weak? What would be so wrong with making him a good friend, like Goofy or Donald? Sure, Minnie made Duffy, but that doesn't mean he can't grow emotionally and do his own thing. Hopefully Disney's marketing team can figure this out, especially since he's supposedly going to be a world traveler with Mickey. Like I said before, how can a toddler sail around the world?

I definitely had favorites among my plush as a kid, but Duffy would have been number one. He would have been rare - only available in the Disney parks, and not even all of them. He would have been well-made. He would have been mine and he would have lived in my dreams and imagination. That's not the experience being offered to kids now, though. Overemphasizing how he's "Mickey's bear" really frustrates me... The official press release goes as far as to say:
    I probably would have felt the same way as you about Duffy as a kid. I remember how special the Disney plush I got at Disneyland were. I knew then that I couldn't just get them at any store. They had meaning because they came from one park, at a specific time. It was a tradition in my family to buy one souvenir each time we visited Disneyland. My parents let me and my sister pick one thing (within reason, of course) that we wanted. I always chose plush. I had my stuffed Dumbo, Bambi, Eeyore, etc. I loved them all because they were so unique. I used to play with all of my plush with wild imagination. I made up crazy stories and had them doing things that Duffy probably should be doing, like going on adventures.

As far as I'm concerned, this ruins the overall experience. Of course he should be Mickey's bear, but of course he should be my bear, too... And he should be his own character, too... And he should be the embodiment of the spirit of the teddy bear, too. If he's "just a teddy bear" and not THE teddy bear to the people who shepherd him, he will not make it. He is a teddy bear; he requires love. If you don't love him, how do you expect to get other people to?
    He really does need to get out from under Mickey! Sure, he's got his marks all over him, but that doesn't mean he's a cow that's been branded for life! Give the bear some breathing room to do his own thing and let the fans dictate what they want him to be.

I dunno if the story from that card is gonna be widely available outside of last month's AP holder event, but I hope lots of people know he's from Tokyo. It would have been better to tell the Cape Cod part of his story as an abbreviation and let it be the real Cape Cod... Let Mickey and Duffy travel to Japan where people see Mickey's bear and go crazy for them, so Mickey tells Minnie and she decides to build the huge factory in Florida to take Duffy international. Then the bears are shipped out by sea from Paradise Pier in California. Each location would have its own exclusive storybook, and its own charming story - its own sense of place (while also contributing to further development of the character). If I write this stuff, will you put it on your blog, along with the old Shellie May story? I don't wanna make one, but I'd love to contribute to yours. You can also use my translations of the storybook if you want... I'll dig up the copies with the good artwork and send them your way.
    I hope they keep what they said in that card somewhere visible in the parks. They need to acknowledge the fact that he's had a makeover by way of Japan. Otherwise people are going to shrug it off as the same old "Disney Bear" they always had.

Oh, I would love to post your Shellie May story on my blog, as well as your translated Duffy story. I haven't posted an update in a while, and I need to do something. It would at least be a place for your story to find an audience. I would be happy to host those things and credit you, of course.

That's my problem with Disney these days. They don't seem to make anything just because they want to make it. It seems all about trying to figure out what people will buy and then get that to them quick, while they'll still buy into it. It should be about making art and sharing art and moving people. At least, that's what Disney seemed to be about for me, even as late as Mulan and Emperor's New Groove and Stitch. But everything becomes a commodity with Disney; everything becomes just numbers.

This is why I love the hidden Mickeys and Maggie Parr's whimsical paintings - it's like you can see traces of the artists who actually make the brand possible. It's what I love so much about DisneySEA, and also what I used to love about Duffy. In every costume release, you could see someone's dedication to their craft; you could tell you were looking at a concept that had been carefully nurtured into reality. Now it just seems like picking apart pieces they think will bring in the dough. It's a very different vibe. I'm hopeful, though, that perhaps once Duffy is in the hands of the fans in the US, they will follow the Japanese example and take Duffy and make him their own in a way that WDC cannot stop or control. That's the only way I see for Duffy to be a real international success - for people to choose to take him out of Disney's hands and into their own.
    Yeah, there were people who seemed to care about product. It's funny the films you mention all came out of the Florida animation studio. I think they did great work down there because there wasn't the immediate corporate pressure of being in Burbank. WDFAF did amazing things because they were allowed to be creative...to an extent. It's just too bad they shut that studio down...that always seems to happen. Get good people doing creative things and eventually Disney finds a way to stifle it...

I'm curious about the cartoons, too. It would be interesting if they used them to make Duffy into the adventurer/explorer/entrepreneur he used to be rather than the toddler the new stage show makes him out to be. I won't hold my breath, though. I agree that Duffy needs more story, but I think that story should expand naturally and organically, tying him carefullly to the places he appears. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
    I hope it's kind of like the Lilo & Stitch series where Duffy can just be free to explore and find a little danger, mystery, and adventure. Not like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Since they say it's going to be on the resort TV's...hopefully it's not just advertisements for the parks...that would just further cheapen Duffy's image as a "buy me" product...

Yeah, the new greeting mascot is awful, but obviously MUCH cheaper. I'm inclined to agree with Ichigopara that this is the "why." And that's the other thing. Walt Disney was a master showman who spent what was necessary to make things "just so." OLC is like that, too. That's why they got Duffy right. I don't understand why they'd let him go back like this, unless maybe they had to. Maybe they didn't really own him...? Why does the largest entertainment conglomerate on Earth need to be so darned cheap with everything all the time? When will Disney love its own legacy enough to respect it? It just doesn't make any sense to me...
    I can only guess that it was pressure from WDC to change Duffy. I don't know to what purpose, but it was definitely a step backwards. I don't know who really owns Duffy. It seems like OLC was allowed to run wild with the concept, and I thought maybe they had creative control over him, but now I'm not so sure.

That's the thing, Gurgi. I get the feeling he's not gonna come from anywhere specific anymore. He'll just be "that teddy bear Minnie made," and that's that. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. If they're not gonna ground all the spaces he appears, they can't just leave Cape Cod the way it is. The sign's been changed since Shellie May appeared, of course. Maybe even since last Christmas, though... I think the first time I noticed it gone, it had been replaced with a Mickey/Minnie mistletoe spot or something...
    That would be a shame if his connection to Cape Cod was lost. Maybe they are just going to create a new sign later that incorporates Shellie May too? I don't know, but if it's gone for good, that's too bad.

The great thing about no story is no bad story, and after all the work I did on "Taffy," I honestly find it hard to imagine being as impressed with anything else they come up with. I'm actually kind of pleased they haven't bothered.
    That's true, I hadn't though of it that way. If they did create a fuller story, it would not be anywhere near what you wrote, so maybe it's good they haven't bothered yet.

The ones you're thinking of are music boxes, I think, in the little red house window boxes. The Duffys aren't as cute as their bigger counterparts, though.
    Ah, ok, I knew they were smaller versions. The little cardboard house is cute though.

I'd say not just fan service, but genuine growth of the character. He can't be a child himself and do all the things he needs to do to have lasting appeal - fashion plate, photographer, patissier, sailor, mystic - without these elements, he's lacking any real Disney magic. If even his most hardcore fans think so, it's hard to imagine casual fans who don't know him thinking different. If they want Duffy to make money, they'll have to work for it and commit to his development. But they'll have to understand him first - something I don't even really see on the horizon. Though I do think he'll sell at Christmas. That was a good idea.
    I really think WDC just thinks it's cute to dress up a bear in costumes. They aren't thinking of story. At this point I think Christmas will be Duffy's successful period. We'll see if I'm wrong...

Yeah... I'm actually really bummed I bought the BAB ones, especially since I still haven't done those photos... If they really are half the price, I may just have to find a way to get those two...and that pirate... Crap... It begins...
    LOL, yeah, we can never get away, can we? I need to see finished versions of those Buzz & Woody costumes though, because what we saw was just concept. I even liked the Sorcerer Mickey costume, but again, I need to see final product.

Hopefully there will be enough creative fans to add what's missing to the mix. The thing is, those fans will have to be old enough and talented enough to really create something. That's what the Japanese Duffy fanbase has that - and I'm just realizing this right now, this moment - isn't showcased with any other character, at least not to remotely the same degree! That's what made Duffy so incredible - the way his popularity depended on the fans' involvement! So every time you see Duffy, you see the embodiment of the feeling of being a fan, of being in the parks, of being a kid and holding onto a toy or a moment of such great quality that you wouldn't change it - satisfaction...it's a lot...and it's not really about Mickey...or Disney for that matter. Everybody who buys Duffy knows that there's an incredible fanbase here because one day at TDS assures that you see what fans are doing with Duffy and TDS is the only place you can get him (for now). Duffy actually was the bear of happiness (in the parks) and luck (to become such a surprise smash hit) and love (as a special gift). He still is all that to me, no matter what they do. But I hope fans do eventually find out what Duffy is really all about. He really is a very special teddy bear!

Sun's up. Gotta sleep for a couple hours!
    That would be great if fans here got into the costume creation game. That's the amazing thing about Duffy, that you brought up. No other character is used the way he is. You don't see anybody dressing Mickey, Minnie, or any of the other characters in such elaborate costumes. It's like Duffy has become a defacto cosplay mascot. You can do anything you wish with him. Even with Shellie May available now, I still see Japanese fans dressing Duffy as a girl, and that's ok with me. I was weird about it at first, but once Duffy leaves that factory, he's whatever you want him (or her) to be. Some of the fan costumes are way more intricate than even the official ones. It's such a creative outlet that I hope gets tapped into here in some way. We've got a lot of creative people with amazing sewing skills too...let's hope they get busy!

• Banned User

Guys dig Duffy and Shelley Mae...

They got Mickey tattoos on their butts... What's not to love?

How much is that Duffy in the window??

They love to sit and wait/watch the parade as well.... while wearing home made costumes.

They even bring their own digital cameras.

Moms and daughters get frustrated because Duffy daddies won't share the love...

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Moms and daughters get frustrated because Duffy daddies won't share the love...
    "Daddy, I said you could hold Duffy for a minute. It's been longer than a minute, give him back!"

• Surfin the net with Duffy

@TDLfan, love the pictures! M and I will be with our Duffy's at Epcot on the 14th for the Ribbon cutting for Duffy!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

make sure you dress your Duffy as a protestor, holding a sign that reads "I want to remain exclusive to TDS".

• Surfin the net with Duffy

make sure you dress your Duffy as a protestor, holding a sign that reads "I want to remain exclusive to TDS".
    I am going to point that out, and will be wearing his quality outfit! My roommate's poor Duffy is still naked though!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    @TDLfan, love the pictures! M and I will be with our Duffy's at Epcot on the 14th for the Ribbon cutting for Duffy!
    We'll be there too! I'm flying back out to cover some of the Food & Wine festival so timed it so we will be there for the 14th and then fly back to CA to see Duffy in CA on Friday.

TDS Duffys unite! LOL. I'm dragging my poor Mom and between the two of us, I think we will have a lot of bears in tow so we should be quite easy to spot.

Cool Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Great idea! I had asked my Mom a couple weeks ago if she could make all my bears shirts that relayed that fact - I was thinking something along the lines of a photo with Duffy at Epcot (or DCA) with the "no circle and line" through out...she vetoed my original idea due to "non-Disney approved language." LOL

That would be great if fans here got into the costume creation game. That's the amazing thing about Duffy, that you brought up. No other character is used the way he is. You don't see anybody dressing Mickey, Minnie, or any of the other characters in such elaborate costumes. It's like Duffy has become a defacto cosplay mascot. You can do anything you wish with him. Even with Shellie May available now, I still see Japanese fans dressing Duffy as a girl, and that's ok with me. I was weird about it at first, but once Duffy leaves that factory, he's whatever you want him (or her) to be. Some of the fan costumes are way more intricate than even the official ones. It's such a creative outlet that I hope gets tapped into here in some way. We've got a lot of creative people with amazing sewing skills too...let's hope they get busy!
    Hey Gurgi! I agree, creating your own costumes for Duffy can be better than just buying the ones available. Here's the first outfit I got my Duffy,
    ************************************************** **************************************
    Recent Trips:
    *Walt Disney World - April 23 - April 30, 2011*
    *Tokyo Disney Resort - April 23 - April 26, 2013*

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by ohhMickey View Post
    Hey Gurgi! I agree, creating your own costumes for Duffy can be better than just buying the ones available. Here's the first outfit I got my Duffy,
    That's cute! I only wish I knew how to sew, because I'm sure I could make some great stuff. I just have no skills. It would be fun to recreate some high-fashion clothes for Duffy.

• You have much to learn...

I'll be in Epcot later on in the day & will miss the official opening- but will check out the new shop and meet & greet.

I'll be leaving my Duffy at home though- I'll probably pick up a few things- but don't plan to buy too much Duffy stuff till I get back to TDS next month.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by poohstraveler View Post
    Great idea! I had asked my Mom a couple weeks ago if she could make all my bears shirts that relayed that fact - I was thinking something along the lines of a photo with Duffy at Epcot (or DCA) with the "no circle and line" through out...she vetoed my original idea due to "non-Disney approved language." LOL

• i heart plunging v-necks

gurgi and Jedi, just curious if you guys bring a Duffy along whenever visiting TDR.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast