Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by dizneydogs View Post
    So the US Parks now have Duffy and a Mickey Ghost popcorn bucket what's next on the horizon? flavored popcorn? fast pass holders?
    there is some flavored popcorn in DCA...
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Thanks for the trip report, TDLFAN. I know Duffy can be "controversial" for some Disney fans, but I love him. I'm pretty cynical myself, and sometimes see the glass half-empty, but for some reason I still love Duffy. So, what?

After the fits & spurts of the US Duffy launch, I'm pleasantly surprised by both the DCA and EPCOT launches. They weren't as overly sugary as the AP presentation. Also, at least at DCA, they mention he came from TDS. The song they played for him at EPCOT, is his theme from "My Friend Duffy", only in English. I was happy to hear translated lyrics...I just wonder if they are a literal translation or just completely new in English. Still, although not the best song, it's grown on me. I hated it at first in the TDS show.

It's interesting how many Japanese Duffy fans showed up to both the DCA and EPCOT events and bought so much stuff. Obviously word spread about it...I feel bad for the Japanese fans who have to buy the costumes at inflated prices on auction sites over there though!

Thumbs up Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...After the fits & spurts of the US Duffy launch, I'm pleasantly surprised by both the DCA and EPCOT launches. They weren't as overly sugary as the AP presentation. Also, at least at DCA, they mention he came from TDS. The song they played for him at EPCOT, is his theme from "My Friend Duffy", only in English. I was happy to hear translated lyrics...I just wonder if they are a literal translation or just completely new in English. Still, although not the best song, it's grown on me. I hated it at first in the TDS show.
    I was shockingly pleased, too. They really did a nice job. Are there videos of the AP presentation around? I thought I had seen links on your blog, but when I looked back...no dice. I'd like to see those, too.

Kudos for the Tokyo props!!! The EPCOT version is more heavily edited, though, so I'm hopeful that's the reason we didn't hear Tokyo mentioned. I'm confident it was there, but I'd love to get confirmation on that by someone in attendance. I think that's also a selling point, really. It does seem like there's some kinda bonding happening between OLC and WDC, for better or worse.

Lucky you for liking the song. I don't think it's ever gonna happen for me. It's nicer to know what's going on in English, but it still sounds a little too childish for my taste, and not quite "classic" enough. I still haven't seen the show, either. I'll go to TDS before the end of Halloween, though, so I can check it out then.

It's interesting how many Japanese Duffy fans showed up to both the DCA and EPCOT events and bought so much stuff. Obviously word spread about it...I feel bad for the Japanese fans who have to buy the costumes at inflated prices on auction sites over there though!
    Yeah...I wish I could've gone now. "Oldskool" Duf-fans gotta represent!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    ...Finally Mickey and Duffy joins the execs on the stage.. everyone wearing their finest sailor suit. Editorial note: At TDS, Mickey would be wearing an ADMIRAL suit... not a stinking sailor suit. Mr. Cocky's tie matches Mickey.. by accident me thinks...
    Yeah, the DCA costumes and staging totally outclassed EPCOT in my opinion, and felt more natural, too. I hope his tie was on purpose, but if it was an accident, at least it's a happy one.

...waiting to greet Duffy at his new gazeebo. We have not seen lines this long since... since... Soarin' opened?...
    I can't help noticing how much this gazebo is like the new Meet & Greet area at TDS and wondering if that's why they moved it out of Cape Cod. It feels like WDC has a lot more pull at TDR than I thought. I'm still totally baffled by the fact that our super high-quality mascot costumes seem to have been totally hijacked by the US now... You people with all the inside info, 'xplain this, please!^^

...The Duffy story is told via book-like signs as we approach the gazeebo.

I actually really this artwork change, as it seems to be clearly and intentionally referencing Disneyland Paris and Tokyo DisneySEA/TDR, not only with characters, but in style. It really feels like they're trying to establish Duffy as a "park experience" mascot, which is how I've seen/experienced/championed him all along.

...After having my picture taken with Duffy, and receiving a nice sticker that reads "I just hugged Duffy, the Disney bear"...
    How much do I want that sticker? Anybody...? Please...? Help a brotha out...

And where - oh where - is the PIRATE costume?!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-15-2010 at 08:55 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dizneydogs View Post
    So the US Parks now have Duffy and a Mickey Ghost popcorn bucket what's next on the horizon? flavored popcorn? fast pass holders?
    Fast pass holders were sold in the USA parks a few years ago and did not sell well.. so they quickly ended up at the Disney outlet shops. They may still have a few floating around somewhere. Caramel popcorn is sold now at EPCOT, and I believe DCA also has it.. The Ghost Mickey popcorn bucket is unqie to the USA parks and is not available in Japan. And while Duffy has landed in the US park, his sucess in a merchandise line remains to be seen.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    Kudos for the Tokyo props!!! The EPCOT version is more heavily edited, though, so I'm hopeful that's the reason we didn't hear Tokyo mentioned. I'm confident it was there, but I'd love to get confirmation on that by someone in attendance.
    I don't recall that was the case.

It does seem like there's some kinda bonding happening between OLC and WDC, for better or worse.
    There has always been that bonding.. since WDC management keeps an eye on OLC's management.. but WDC meddles too much in their business and have been known to tell OLC to cut back.. maybe because it makes WDC look bad at it's own game?

I actually really this artwork change, as it seems to be clearly and intentionally referencing Disneyland Paris and Tokyo DisneySEA/TDR, not only with characters, but in style. It really feels like they're trying to establish Duffy as a "park experience" mascot, which is how I've seen/experienced/championed him all along.
    Well.. the artwork is referencing the French and Morrocan pavillions at EPCOT. Any perception of DLP or Arabian Coast may be accidental or simply coicidence. Duffy's storyline involves traveling around the World.. and that is why he can only be found for meet and greet at EPCOT's World Showcase in WDW.

How much do I want that sticker? Anybody...? Please...? Help a brotha out...
    I tried asking for extra more but was blatantly told by the CM that only people who met Duffy would get one. So sorry dear.. you will have to get in line with everyone else.

And where - oh where - is the PIRATE costume?!
    In Epcot.. all costumes are modeled after the World Showcase pavillions. I did not see a pirate costume anywhere...and since I dislike the pirate theme, which Disney has totally overkilled, I prefer they don't produce one.

Question Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Can someone who was actually there help out with the song lyrics? This is what I think is being sung:

I know - It's true, you are a little bear.
    But though you're small, you stand so tall.
    You open up to care.

I know I'm small
    But my dreams are big, it's true.
    And I know, where you go -
    I will go with you!

If things get tough or times get rough,
    Or feeling a little blue...
    I see your smile and you're the one
    That always makes me (new???)

(Your???) friend Duffy!
    Duffy the bear!
    Together forever and ever!
    My friend Duffy!
    Duffy the bear!
    Together forever and ever!

Let's go!

Duffy!
    Bop-bop-bop!
    Duffy!
    Bop-bop-bop!
    Duffy!
    Bop-bop-bop!
    My friend Duffy!

Duffy!
    Bop-bop-bop!
    Duffy!
    Bop-bop-bop!
    Duffy!
    Bop-bop-bop!
    My friend Duffy!

Any confirmation or correction is appreciated. It does seem like they got the right vibe with the teddy bear elements - comfort, dreams, and even blue feelings. I'd've preferred something along the lines of adventure (and fashion!), but classic "teddiness" is an important part of Duffy's charm, too, I guess. And I suddenly realize that I'm actually kinda glad those elements aren't highlighted in the official Disney song, so that those aspects that seem most apparent in my own vision of the character are untouched by the corporate machine. The more it unfolds, the more I like some of WDC's choices...even some I wouldn't have made. Now if they'd just tone down the merchandise push and let the phenomenon grow... Duffy doesn't need a panderer; he just needs his own set aside space to invite folks into. If they let it, fans will come.. Let the fans in the US discover him, look online, learn about what Japanese fans did/are doing - experience. If they give it time, they might have something great. Still, like TDLFAN says, there's no telling if this is the real deal or even a bonafide fad yet in the US. We'll just have to wait and see. But from the videos, it honestly looked like a bigger deal than I imagined it would be. And I was happier about it than I thought I could be, in spite of myself. Maybe he really will bring his chillaxing goodvibes to the world...

• Disney Fan & Musician

DuffyDad, it may not be until the end of November, but I can get you a sticker!

Wink Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

I don't recall that was the case.

There has always been that bonding.. since WDC management keeps an eye on OLC's management.. but WDC meddles too much in their business and have been known to tell OLC to cut back.. maybe because it makes WDC look bad at it's own game?

Well.. the artwork is referencing the French and Morrocan pavillions at EPCOT. Any perception of DLP or Arabian Coast may be accidental or simply coicidence. Duffy's storyline involves traveling around the World.. and that is why he can only be found for meet and greet at EPCOT's World Showcase in WDW.

I tried asking for extra more but was blatantly told by the CM that only people who met Duffy would get one. So sorry dear.. you will have to get in line with everyone else.

In Epcot.. all costumes are modeled after the World Showcase pavillions. I did not see a pirate costume anywhere...and since I dislike the pirate theme, which Disney has totally overkilled, I prefer they don't produce one.
    This post is like "the voice of TDLFAN past" almost!^^ And somehow, it makes me smile.

That's a bummer that they didn't mention Tokyo in Florida. More than a bummer - it's disrespectful bordering on shameless (I don't care where the idea started - Tokyo made it work!), but what's done is done, I guess.

I think you're right about the meddling. It's frustrating to tell you you're right about things... You just know it goes straight to your head!

It may be an accidental coincidence, but it still works well, I think. I liked that. It feels more open, too - more traveled - which is appropriate since it's out of his "hometown."

I guess I won't be getting a sticker soon, but I do want that pirate costume. I agree that they've overhyped it, but what can I say? I dig pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    DuffyDad, it may not be until the end of November, but I can get you a sticker!

• Disney Fan & Musician

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    Check your private messages please!

• Munchings & Crunchings

The story changes to reflect pavilions at EPCOT, I don't mind. It fits with the theme. The variances in artwork bother me though. The first part, they use the TDS artwork, that looks more painted. Then, they switch to a more airbrushed look for the rest of the story. Basically, they aren't that consistent. Still, it's not horrible.

I attended the opening yesterday and I see several references to a lot of Japanese collectors, but I did not see many at all. There were 2 or 3, but that was about it (until I left around noontime). The ceremony was crowded, but the photo line cleared out quite quickly. We were in it several times with different people and pretty much walked right up.

By 4pm, most of the merchandise was gone. There were only a few bears and the Mexico outfit left. It appears Epcot and DCA are getting different merchandise - DCA did not have the purse style nor the magnets...only a keychain. I am bummed we didn't make it to WDW as I would've liked to get that 40th Anniversary one! I am rather disappointed they did not limit the quantity of items after seeing some of the WDW photos. Did anyone see the eBay guy buying his 150 bears?!?!

The Duffy ceremony at DCA was nice and other than issues getting to it since the park was not officially open, it was well organized. I spent quite a bit of time with several other media people in attendance, and the person who is designing much of the merchandise - sounds like there may be some cool things on the horizon.

One newsflash tidbit that I am on the fence about I had predicted earlier in the week - he is officially coming to Paris....it's probably no accident that you see him w/Paris in they storybook. Look for him in HK on November 19 and Paris sometime in December. I have no info yet on merchandise, but am reaching out to my media contacts to see what I can find out.

Oh...and the stickers they would not give out on the backing! My mom wanted hers on the backing to use for her scrapbooking and they said they were not allowed. Go figure.

I am working on writing my Duffy report article today and will have photos up later so I will include a link if anyone wants to see more DCA stuff.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

My friend was at Epcot today, and she said that Japanese tourist are still buying up to 10 costumes of each style, it is crazy!!! Oh and yes they are already on Ebay Japan.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Disney Fan & Musician

the walkaround character looks a bit different than the Japanese one. Is it the costume from My Friend Duffy?

Current and upcoming outfits

Looks the Xmas one is available now since it's made it's way to ebay

The story changes to reflect pavilions at EPCOT, I don't mind. It fits with the theme. The variances in artwork bother me though. The first part, they use the TDS artwork, that looks more painted. Then, they switch to a more airbrushed look for the rest of the story. Basically, they aren't that consistent. Still, it's not horrible.
    Yeah, I just liked that it felt like a conscious attempt to tie in Paris and Tokyo. This somehow reassured me that WDC wasn't just taking Duffy back from OLC, but actually more like supporting his rise to global fame. I noticed the consistency gap with the artwork and it bugged me, too. But I liked the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by poohstraveler View Post
    I attended the opening yesterday and I see several references to a lot of Japanese collectors, but I did not see many at all. There were 2 or 3, but that was about it (until I left around noontime). The ceremony was crowded, but the photo line cleared out quite quickly. We were in it several times with different people and pretty much walked right up.

By 4pm, most of the merchandise was gone. There were only a few bears and the Mexico outfit left. It appears Epcot and DCA are getting different merchandise - DCA did not have the purse style nor the magnets...only a keychain. I am bummed we didn't make it to WDW as I would've liked to get that 40th Anniversary one! I am rather disappointed they did not limit the quantity of items after seeing some of the WDW photos. Did anyone see the eBay guy buying his 150 bears?!?!

The Duffy ceremony at DCA was nice and other than issues getting to it since the park was not officially open, it was well organized. I spent quite a bit of time with several other media people in attendance, and the person who is designing much of the merchandise - sounds like there may be some cool things on the horizon.

One newsflash tidbit that I am on the fence about I had predicted earlier in the week - he is officially coming to Paris....it's probably no accident that you see him w/Paris in they storybook. Look for him in HK on November 19 and Paris sometime in December. I have no info yet on merchandise, but am reaching out to my media contacts to see what I can find out.

Oh...and the stickers they would not give out on the backing! My mom wanted hers on the backing to use for her scrapbooking and they said they were not allowed. Go figure.

I am working on writing my Duffy report article today and will have photos up later so I will include a link if anyone wants to see more DCA stuff.
    Your post is interesting. From reading MiceChat, I did get the impression that there were a significant amount of Japanese fans in attendance at WDW. And Tokyo was definitely mentioned at least once at the DCA (and apparently not at WDW), so I'm surprised there weren't more Japanese folks there. It sounds like it was generally a more low-key event, but you also say all the stuff sold out, so I'm not sure I'm imagining clearly...

How do you guys get to know the designers? I would give up chocolate for a year to be able to chat with these folks. What a lucky opportunity!

Did they have the same storybook-style queue markers at DCA? Does anyone have photos of the shops or photo op areas there?

I'd say it was alright they were controlling the flow of those stickers if it seemed like they were doing it to stop people from selling them or something. But with no merchandise limits, it seems like really they're just being cheap. Sheesh. I guess Duffy needs a little more time to work his magic completely. When somebody wants a sticker, Disney, just give it to 'em. They're gonna make it worth your while.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast