Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• You have much to learn...

re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

If Disney were smart- they would try to use the same formula that TDS has- but I'm sure that it may not take off like they hope it will-I don't think that the crowds in the US parks have the same tastes as those in Japan. If Duffy does take off- I hope they don't get too greedy and kill the market the same way they had overkill with collectibles, pins and the current vinylmation craze.

Too bad they aren't introducing him a few days earlier since I'm hopefully visiting WDW Columbus day weekend- but will leave a few days before Duffy arrives.

• TDR Annual Passport

re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Having Duffy in the US Parks would be pretty neat to see. It's really hard to say how successful it would be here. Culturally the US and Japan are really different. The Japanese can get very enthusiastic and excited over anything super cute while North American people don't tend to get that way (if you aren't a child). I personally would carry my Duffy around the parks (I did it in Tokyo) but I couldn't see a lot of guys in their mid twenties doing the same.

Disney will have to cater to the North American people in order for it to be a success.

But who's to say for sure until it actually happens. I'd be pretty pumped if it was wildly successful here and they used the same strategy as they did in Japan.
    Fat Hobbit Delightful Disney Advice
    Twitter

Trip Reports2010:12/06/10 to 16/06/10 - Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea - Trip Report

If Duffy travels the world with Mickey do you think there will be outifts or items in each country in EPCOT? This could really tie in with the Kidcot Stations and/or Passports they already have.

I am thrilled at the prospect of Duffy coming here because the ebay rates for his outfits are insane! Sign me up for the Duffy costume exchange program!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I think Duffy is adorable, but I don't see him taking off here in the States. The Japanese culture looooves cute furry characters like that. The US... not so much.

But we'll see what happens.

That being said.... THEY STOLE MY WONDERPUP SCHTICK WITH THE "TRAVEL THE WORLD" BIT!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, like I wrote on all the other Duff topics already, Duff is NOT new to Disneyland Anaheim. It was more than 5 years ago that NOT just Duff, but an entire pastel rainbow assortment of Duff Bears appeared in DL Anaheim, and within a year or two, all the leftovers made their way to the discount outlet store, just a couple miles away from disneyland.

Duffy already had a chance. And it just didn't work in the US. Give us REAL disney characters instead.

• Adventures with Duffy

Does anyone think there is a good chance that Disney will work with OLC? If they did, then I think they have a shot and making it in the state parks. If they offer well quality items and a good story line which they could do, it would sell great. the question is will they work with OLC?

Why Epcot? Is it due to World Show Case? Because AK could have been a good spot for him. They could have had a theme of Duffy on a wild safari. He could make a new friend there, some other animal and the intro to a new story line.

Then in DCA, not sure who he meet, but in his travels he helped out maybe at the boardwalk or something. There is some cute costumes with that idea.

I also wonder if he will have his own store or just placed with all the other plushes? If he had his own store, maybe those in the states would take notice. He wont just be another plush.

I also wonder how DCA Duffy will work with Build a Bear. DtD has a build a bear in Cal. Where I don't think FL does.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ No Orlando's DTD doesn't have Builld-A-bear. The closest we got is Build-A-Dino in the T-Rex restaurant.

• Adventures with Duffy

So that is where Build a Dino is. I've heard of it but never have seen it lol

• Resident of the Caldera

Duffy will fail in the States. He's a blank, like Hello Kitty. He exists only as an object for what people project onto him. In Japan that makes sense, in the US it's not what people want.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Duffy is coming to the US?
    Awesome!

I can imagine the look on kids faces if he appears in the parks at times XD.

Or is this just the toys?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I wish Duffy well. I always thought he was cute as the "Disney Bear" but that name was so generic (as was his marketing) that he just never took off.

What sorts of things could Disney do to make him more successful to the US audience this time around? Does he need a backstory? Should he just be Disney's Build-A-Bear clone? Work him into a Disney Channel cartoon? Merchandise events for the parks?

I'm just not sure. I remember liking the Disney Bear the first time around the block, but Duffy has a lot of work to do to catch on in the States.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Just another Disney fan..

I'm guessing Duffy's backstory will be the same as in Japan. Otherwise why not just give him a different name?

The Japanese Guests coming to WDW and DLR are going to be thrilled. They will however be perplexed if Duffy had a different backstory.

Just having a name for this go-a-round in the US will help IMO. The Disney Bear was just too darn generic.

Maybe they should replace Grr the bear from Grizley River Run with Duffy? There is at least one tie-in. As far as Epcot goes... I am sans any good ideas. Duffy the World Showcase Ambassador?

If they don't have a consistent story between TDR, DLR and WDW for Duffy, I think that will just contribute to his failure once again in the US.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Duffy will fail in the States. He's a blank, like Hello Kitty. He exists only as an object for what people project onto him. In Japan that makes sense, in the US it's not what people want.
    The majority might not, but I'm one of the people who would want something like that in the US.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    I'm guessing Duffy's backstory will be the same as in Japan. Otherwise why not just give him a different name?

The Japanese Guests coming to WDW and DLR are going to be thrilled. They will however be perplexed if Duffy had a different backstory.

Just having a name for this go-a-round in the US will help IMO. The Disney Bear was just too darn generic.

Maybe they should replace Grr the bear from Grizley River Run with Duffy? There is at least one tie-in. As far as Epcot goes... I am sans any good ideas. Duffy the World Showcase Ambassador?

If they don't have a consistent story between TDR, DLR and WDW for Duffy, I think that will just contribute to his failure once again in the US.
    I hope his backstory is the (or as close to)same as TDR's. I think how they are going to incorporate him in DCA, is that, Mickey, traveling from Cape Cod(there should be a mural, showing the cape cod section of American Waterfront in a possable Duffy store)but missies Minnie very much, comes to Pacifc Wharf and remembers Duffy, the bear Minnie gave him and becomes very happy and not so lonesome. As for Epcot's, it would be familiar to DCA's(just with Mickey Traveling the world with Duffy) execpt, the Duffy store would be between the American Adventure and Japan Pavilions. The DCA Store would be called, Duffy's Duties and the Epcot Store would be called Meet The World with Mickey & Duffy()

Timekeeper

• Banned User

What Walt Disney Co needs to be copying from OLC is not just Duffy. WDC needs to emulate OLC in every respect of how to manage and operate their parks. The american Duffy will be a failure. mark my words. Simply because I am not sure that western guests will be willing to embrace a character than has no connection to the parks or a Disney film, and I wonder if Duffy's quality of merchandise will be duplicated in the USA, or whether guests would even be willing to pay for a quality plush and assessories as they do in Japan.

But I take great pleasure in pointing out the obvious: OLC is leading the way and establishing themselves as the one company that can operate a Disney park with the most quality and level of distiction for the brand. It's sad when even WDC has become the follower of one of it's licencees... Very laughable, in a very satisfying way.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast