Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Thanks, Dizneydogs, for the link to Shellie May's first costumed appearance. I kind of thought they might do this. Too bad they used the newer, cheaper looking Duffy as a model. They don't have that same "plush" quality that the previous mascot did. She does look cute, but not cute enough, in my opinion. I'm sure the fans went crazy though. Now I need to watch a video of the show...

• Banned User

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Did anyone see Duffy in the Xmas parade filming at DLR? There are some pictures in the Dateline DL feature of Micechat.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I hope they brought in extra security for Shellie May's first appearance LOL

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Disney Fan & Musician

Even though some of you think it's overkill, it's not completely. Not every resort has Duffy in 40 locations, that's WDW. Duffy is only sold in one shop at DCA.

I really think that cartoon may spark interest in more people. I just hope they stick to the original story. :/
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Journey On!

Sad Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...Duffydad, I agree with much of what you said about the article. I'm not going to say too much, because you've pretty much said everything...
    Yeah...I'm sorry about the rant. It's just...I finally found a place where I could love Disney and it feels like it's being stolen...by Disney. For the first time ever, I had a favorite Disney character, and everything that was the reason I loved him, everything that he represented not being, he's being turned (back) into. And most people in the US will think that's all he ever was. Through the Tokyo parks (esp. TDS) and MiceChat, I finally understood why people are Disney fans. I found the "Disney magic." With Duffy's unique history as the transcendent reformation of the Disney Bear, I had found a character that even my cynic censor could enjoy on multiple levels. It's dumb, I guess, but it actually mattered to me. It's a shame, and this is the only place I can really talk about that.

First, I don't like it when we know too much about how the company is thinking about something. Basically, this article makes it perfectly clear, Duffy was introduced to make money. OK, sure, we know that already, but to blatantly say that is why you introduced the character...that is not going to endear him to already skeptical fans.

OLC may very well feel the same way about Duffy. He's a cash cow. The major difference is that you don't see articles about how much they expect Duffy to sell. The management isn't touting his sales figures publicly, or stating that their goal is to get Duffy in every single Japanese household. Maybe that is their goal, but we're not hearing about it. WDW on the other hand, is basically laying the cards on the table and then expecting fans to buy into the "heart" of Duffy's story. It's an uphill battle to be sure, when we know you're out for the money only.
    Hm...I'm sure that OLC wants to make money with Duffy. They're a company; that's the point. I get that. But OLC have talked about the company line on Duffy - a lot. Last year, Duffy and Shellie May were in several non-Disney magazines and newspapers. Even TV, I think! Great sales were usually mentioned, but the point was always the phenomenon itself - the hours of waiting, the mystery of just so many hardcore fans from so many backgrounds - the mystery because OLC wasn't trying to pretend they came along and marketed something and we all just ate out of their hand - they admit, all the time, to being surprised by fan response and impressed by the fans! And always (in magazines), photos of fans with custom costumes. WDC seems to look down on its fans, whereas OLC celebrates us. Not only appreciates - celebrates. The vast majority of people working at TDR actually seem to be fans, of varying degrees and types. I don't know if that's true in the US, but I doubt it, based on things I've read here.

OLC, in all the times they have talked about Duffy, have never sounded like this. Maybe it's just a smart business strategy: Don't make people feel stupid for buying crap they don't need when your whole business is based on selling people crap they don't need. In which case, smart plan. But I suspect, based on my experiences at the parks and with employees of OLC and even Disney Japan, that they actually have enough class and pride in their work that they are genuinely excited about successfully connecting with so many fans and making them happy by sharing something that makes the people working on it happy. This is what makes it more than crap we don't need. Sincere artists connecting with curious and open-hearted audiences, that's what Disney magic is supposed to be about. It's not just a company tagline to create "synergy."

It makes it possible to be excited about the growing popularity of a character when you feel you're part of something new, something with heart. When you feel that by buying it, you're just buying into a company that doesn't respect you and isn't even invested in the character they expect you to love BUY, I can see why people reject that. It's not just that I don't want to know how WDC is thinking; it's that I don't want them to think that way. Maybe I'm a fool, but I sincerely believe that OLC has a balance between creative and marketing/executive that respects artists and fans more. Maybe it's only because they respect where the money comes from, but whatever causes it - the difference is apparent in every single aspect of Japanese Disney culture under their watch. I guess, though, I should say "has been." The Disney Stores are no longer in OLC's capable hands and "One Disney" is a rolling snowball.

I also hate this "one park" concept. It's a great way to homogenize all of your locations and strip the special charm from each one. Sure, Duffy can exist at each park, but to have the identical product worldwide is less interesting. I sincerely hope that OLC can keep their in-house Duffy team, and despite the possible drop in quality, I hope they can pick that back up and keep doing their own thing. I don't want Disney to wrestle Duffy away from them and "one park" him to death...
    From the costume designs this past year, I suspect that team has already disbanded. That first Sweet Duffy Costume, based on an unreleased design from last year, was probably their last work. Perhaps the costumes echoing older designs - the Navy suits and Early Summer - maybe these were the new team practicing. I have no proof, of course, but I just can't see that the people who designed the outfits we saw last year would have created this year's Halloween offerings, or that they'd feel comfortable presenting 1/3 of a costume for Shellie May's Christmas debut. Last year, those people were showing off! I was not just satisfied; I was impressed. It's why I fell in love with Duffy. Looking at what - and how - they're selling in the US, I'm not sure why people would love him, unless they've read these boards or really know about Tokyo Resort.

I could see Team Duffy's sincere love of the character and passion for fun design in every new release last year. In the same way, I can see WDC's clear corporate goal to identify company-owned intellectual property, taking credit for something they made but failed to make work, and are now determined to exploit at all costs. The apparent lack of effort put into their costume designs says it all. On Duffy's Facebook page, they show off some "concept art":

Not only is this crappy design that looks like it took about ten minutes to create... Not only does this demonstrate that while the plush was very similar to the Disney Bear, all of the artwork for Duffy has been very different and much better - that face is just terrible!... But in the final product, they cheap out and decide not to include the muffler or boots (nor are the gloves removable like last year's incredible Halloween Cat):

I hope they fail. But more than that, what I really hope is that they'll change. I really understand now, Gurgi, what you were saying before about Disney fans feeling like the beaten half of an abusive relationship. Maybe this disillusionment is just part of being a Disney fan, like a rite of passage.^^ But I really thought, with Duffy in Japan, they just couldn't ruin this.

"One Disney" doesn't just stop with Duffy or even the parks. Remember what my friend said about the Disney Stores? Even Shibuya will eventually be remodeled and brought in line from what I've heard. I find it hard to believe. It seems like such an obviously stupid direction. When so many people in marketing are talking about how the successful - and respectful - model of globalization is localization, this just seems like decades old thinking. But also, lowering quality where it exists in order to bring everyone down to your profit-obsessed standard is a foolish business model that will not be successful in Japan. Japanese people are generally very concerned about and very proud of being special and unique, even when they import. I think the further this goes, the more clearly it fails, especially here.

Quote Originally Posted by dizneydogs View Post
    Shellie May has made her appearance at the show

more pictures here:
    2010?11???? | ????????? de ??????
    Dizneydogs, you find the best things! THANK YOU! I'm even more upset they didn't do the smiling plush now, since that new scary mascot design emphasizes the open-mouthed smile (and freaky "webbed" hands) and since this is not only Shellie's first Christmas, but the walkaround's debut... I just don't get it. Why not make what would have been a lot of money? It's like they actually decided in this one case that disappointing fans was more important than making money. There's no way I was the only Duffy fan expecting a smiling Shellie May this year. No way. I really wanna believe "One Disney" and not OLC is responsible for this...somehow.

That blog is freaking AWESOME! Did everyone see all the photos of the "Seven Lights" posters? Thank you, Dizneydogs! These poster designs remind me why I love DisneySEA!

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    ...Have you all read that Disneyland and I'm sure WDW are getting Christmas popcorn buckets? They are suppose to look like a Mickey Snowman. First thing I thought was they are wising up and are starting to follow TDR. Now if they only do the flavor popcorn. lol They are watching what works in TDR and trying it in the states, which could be a real money maker for them and well I hope that means they invest in great attractions and shows to make the parks even better...
    I hope you're right, Janell. I hope "One Disney" does mean improvement with some of the things you guys post about the US parks. But to be honest, it feels to me like it means making the Tokyo parks less impressive. Maybe I'm just grumpy and paranoid, though.

Thanks, Dizneydogs, for the link to Shellie May's first costumed appearance. I kind of thought they might do this. Too bad they used the newer, cheaper looking Duffy as a model. They don't have that same "plush" quality that the previous mascot did...
    And those hands just freak me out! I checked out the Facebook page, and while the one in the US seems to have the same head shape as our old Duffy, it's clearly not the same fur and it also has these same "frog hands." Ew. The big circles weren't accurate, either, but that's always been something I liked about Duffy - the fact that the mascot and the actual plush were so different underscored the feeling that the plush was the real one not vice-versa, and that the real Duffy lives in the imagination anyway and can't be perfectly represented in any form. Like Saint-Exupery's neat trick of empowering the reader in The Little Prince, by saying that he can't draw well enough so none of the pictures is an accurate likeness.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Did anyone see Duffy in the Xmas parade filming at DLR? There are some pictures in the Dateline DL feature of Micechat.
    For the lazy...^^

I actually really love these feet, and the hands don't look as bad from this side, but the palm side really freaks me out. That's not exactly our old head, either. It's been made to smile more, like the new ones. I really can't understand - if smiling is so important, why no smiling plush this year!?

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Even though some of you think it's overkill, it's not completely. Not every resort has Duffy in 40 locations, that's WDW. Duffy is only sold in one shop at DCA.

I really think that cartoon may spark interest in more people. I just hope they stick to the original story. :/
    That is good news about DCA. I liked their presentation much better, too. I'll remain cautiously optimistic about the animation until I see it. I do want to love it, of course.

I your avatar/sig, MatterhornJ! Those cats are awesome!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 11-09-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: UPDATE: Guest Relations confirmed that MANY have asked about smiling plush, but could offer no explanation for their absence.

totally new to this forum but i've been a lurker

i'm a huge duffy lover even though i've never been to tokyo disney, i think it's cuz i read these threads and it made me understand what duffy was all about so when he did debut at DCA i HAD to get him and i have deep love for my duffy bear, building him his own personality and what not. and i think also i share your disappointment with the costumes they have at the US parks, all i have is the sailor outfit because the rest of the outfits will not do...and lets face it...my Duffy is high maintenance! i would be willing to pay the 45 odd dollars if they made well made costumes like they do in Tokyo!

anyways what i wanted to say is i went to DCA two days ago and they are completley sold out of 17" duffys!!! all they had left was the predressed christmas small duffys and i'm seeing tons of people with there "i hugged duffy" sticker's.

• Journey On!

Talking Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by flylikadove22 View Post
    totally new to this forum but i've been a lurker

i'm a huge duffy lover even though i've never been to tokyo disney, i think it's cuz i read these threads and it made me understand what duffy was all about so when he did debut at DCA i HAD to get him and i have deep love for my duffy bear, building him his own personality and what not. and i think also i share your disappointment with the costumes they have at the US parks, all i have is the sailor outfit because the rest of the outfits will not do...and lets face it...my Duffy is high maintenance! i would be willing to pay the 45 odd dollars if they made well made costumes like they do in Tokyo!

anyways what i wanted to say is i went to DCA two days ago and they are completley sold out of 17" duffys!!! all they had left was the predressed christmas small duffys and i'm seeing tons of people with there "i hugged duffy" sticker's.
    Even though it means Disney is laughing all the way to the bank, your post just made my heart smile. Thank you!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad
    I hope they fail. But more than that, what I really hope is that they'll change. I really understand now, Gurgi, what you were saying before about Disney fans feeling like the beaten half of an abusive relationship. Maybe this disillusionment is just part of being a Disney fan, like a rite of passage.^^ But I really thought, with Duffy in Japan, they just couldn't ruin this.
    Why DuffyDad.. seems like you finally can understand why TDLFAN is so disgusted with some aspects of the US operation, especially with WDW's lack of quality that exceeds expectations as opposed to just meeting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffydad
    Did everyone see all the photos of the "Seven Lights" posters? Thank you, Dizneydogs! These poster designs remind me why I love DisneySEA!

OMG!!! I hope they are selling those posters in a postcard set!!!
    Now I am really and horribly sad I am not able to visit TDR until nov 30th...

**TDLFAN runs away crying uncontrollably**

• Journey On!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Why DuffyDad.. seems like you finally can understand why TDLFAN is so disgusted with some aspects of the US operation, especially with WDW's lack of quality that exceeds expectations as opposed to just meeting them.

OMG!!! I hope they are selling those posters in a postcard set!!!
    Now I am really and horribly sad I am not able to visit TDR until nov 30th...

**TDLFAN runs away crying uncontrollably**
    I hope those are available as postcards, too. And TDLFAN, I have always shared your rage and disgust (and reluctant love) for WDC; it's just that I saw Duffy as a "vaccine" while you still only seemed to see the disease.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 11-08-2010 at 11:43 PM.

• Just another Disney fan..

At TDS. The actual trees in the postcards are quite disappointing.

Overall TDS decorations are waaaaY scaled back. So much that my friend and I were saying it is a little sad.

Will be watching the mini dockside stage show in a few minutes. Hope it is good. And I really hope a lot o the budget this year went into the upcoming Christmas Wishes show, because I don't see the usual level of holiday theming we are use to.

• Journey On!

Question Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    At TDS. The actual trees in the postcards are quite disappointing.
    In what way? The designs look charming enough; is it an issue of scale? Or of detail? Harmony with surroundings? I thought this was such a good idea when announced, and when I saw these posters, I felt sure they'd got it right… Please post photos when you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    Overall TDS decorations are waaaaY scaled back. So much that my friend and I were saying it is a little sad...
    How was the Dockside show? I just can't help wondering if the recent cutbacks are really because of OLC's budget restrictions or if "One Disney" is imposing on the Tokyo way of doing things…

• You have much to learn...

The show was pretty good tonight at the Dockside stage- even though we didn`t get a seat & got stuck standing in the back by the fence-I was ok till a girl in front of me pulled out her camera to take pictures- I swear it was the size of a Volkswagon. There went 1/2 of my view.

TDLFAN- unfortunately, no postcard sets of the trees.

I was surprised too that Shellie was included in the show. I also liked the Duffy show- we lucked out and were up front in the first table by the stage. It was better than I thought it would be.

I did pick up a popcorn bucket for Duffy.

The decorations are way scaled back like was said earlier in this post- but I`m still having fun

• Journey On!

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    The decorations are way scaled back like was said earlier in this post- but I`m still having fun
    I'm glad you're still having fun. I'll be going soon. I just can't imagine why there'd be less decorations. Honestly, even with budget problems, wouldn't they just have saved things from last year? I just have a really bad feeling about this... The moment there was no smiling Shellie May in the merchandise preview I knew something was wrong. We've been too vocal in our praise for TDR and this is what we get! I'm only half joking, though, really.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I want to understand the scaling back of decorations, is it because they "spread" it thin across the park instead of just focusing on Harborside decor.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

Before we judge on the decor at TDR.. check out my pics from the MK and tell me... which park still does a decent job. Still, not making excuses for OLC because it is a shame that they are putting more $$$ into halloween than Xmas it seems..

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast