Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

^Oh wow! I've seen that board numerous times and never noticed that the Holiday costumes are 12"ers. In that case, GROSS! Why can't they sell them as costumes? That makes no sense at all! TDS does it why can't WDC?!?!? Oh gosh :facepalm:

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    ...Why can't they sell them as costumes? That makes no sense at all! TDS does it why can't WDC?!?!? Oh gosh :facepalm:
    Especially since HKDL's Sparkling Christmas Storybook Fantasy (try saying that 10x fast!^^) has exactly the same costume as the one, strangely enough, that's part of TDS's Hello From CAPE COD series...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Duffydad
    Fail.
    LOL!!!
    Callling it a disney bear is too much a compliment. It's more like Build-a-bear ghetto.

it really is gross they are only selling 12" predressed christmas duffys, why?

oh btw the duffy facebook just said they are releasing duffy pins very soon. it would be cute, but the picture they showed, it looked like duffy's fur was dark brown!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by flylikadove22 View Post
    it really is gross they are only selling 12" predressed christmas duffys, why?

oh btw the duffy facebook just said they are releasing duffy pins very soon. it would be cute, but the picture they showed, it looked like duffy's fur was dark brown!
    Yeah...I find this more creepy than cute:

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy the Disney Bear
    We’ve heard that some of you have requested seats on Disney attractions for your Duffy the Disney Bear. Have you done this and, if so, for what attraction?
    November 8 at 10:35am via Disney Publisher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey Diehl
    I took him on winnie the pooh, he had his own seat just cuz i was alone and had an extra seat next to me. that would be so cool if he had is own seats in some of the epcot rides, it really goes to show that a lot of people love Duffy!
    November 10 at 5:42am
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine Vaneman
    we had an odd group of 3 today so when we rode indiana jones he got his own seat!
    23 hours ago
    It sounds like the Facebook page is more successful than I would have imagined. It may have happened, but I've never seen anyone get a seat just for Duffy on an attraction. Still looks like less than 5000 followers, though, if I'm reading correctly. I don't use Facebook.

ha that's me!! the bottom quote by jasmine!
    i didnt ask for seat for him though i just had an empty seat next to me (cuz we had 3 people and it was a row of 4), so i just strapped him in LOL
    here he is on the ride:

I love that the Duffy thread is still going strong! I am rather sad after seeing pictures of the Duffy merchandise released at HK and this whole "one Disney" concept. My Duffy Bears are perhaps purists and loved the fact they were special at TDR. I don't think every Disney should be a carbon copy of each other - what's the point of going to each then?

I went on a round the world Disney trip in September (literally) to cover the opening of Toy Story Playland and then the Halloween festivities at the other parks and it really hit me how different things are in the US than years past. It's not often that I hit all the Disney Parks within a couple weeks of each other and coming from both the Halloween festivities at TDR and HK straight to WDW and DL - whoa, what a difference. The merchandise and creativity at TDR (and HK to a degree) far exceed what the US Parks have produced for a number of years. I had hopes that things would eventually get back to the "good old days" when we had private events, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and unique offerings at WDW and DL, but I am realizing that will never happen and I fear they will take down TDR and HK in the process. The whole Duffy roll out is evidence of that (imo).

Even speaking with some "higher ups" at DLR, it seems that many of these feelings are echoed by them, but their hands are tied. We discussed something from a recent merchandise event that I felt was handled poorly, and they agreed...but again, out of their hands. I stumbled upon the DL LE 55th Anniversary merchandise in WDW. Uh, it was DISNEYLAND's 55th Anniversary, not WDW! I sent my parents to the special event in July because I wanted the signed merchandise from Jody Daily and Kevin Kidney (as I love their designs) and they ran out of stuff right away - said they didn't get all the merchandise delivered, but it might be available later in the day (after the artists had gone). None of it was in the Gallery or Disneyana when I was there in Sept/October, but I saw it three different places in WDW...wth? It may not seem like much, but it is stuff like this that turns long time collectors away and causes people to become disenchanted with Disney as a whole. The people I used to visit Disneyland with on a weekly basis were the ones who spent endless amounts of money on merchandise (including a family who bought many of the $20K one-of-a-kind art pieces) and they are all gone. They got turned off by many of the changes over the past few years and it is sad, because no one seems to care. It's not the casual once a year visitor to Disney who buys the bulk of the merchandise - it is the passholders, employees, and Disney addicts, yet it is us who they are alienating. The casual visitor likely won't know anything about the differences in Duffy merchandise and will have no issue buying the 2011 Duffy Bear. But for every one that does, there are 10 others who are turned off by the quality and/or design. But, to be fair, I think the US Parks designs are catered to their market. I can see why they may be hesitant to do outfits with all the pieces (shoes) like Japan does, and honestly...how many people are really going to buy $40+ outfits when they are likely buying the Duffy Bear for their kid anyways.

Based on some of the photos posted here, I am really disappointed to see Duffy splattered everywhere at WDW - you can't ram something down peoples' throat and expect it to succeed. Ok, perhaps flood the market would be a better and more polite way of saying it..lol.

My bears will still travel the world with us (not because Disney told me too, but because it is something we chose to do long before Duffy was coming to the US). And even though we allowed a US Duffy into our close-knit clan, he's a Tokyo Duffy at heart.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Banned User

It really seems to me that the whole Duffy push is aimed more towards WDW. DLR is more of an after thought to WDC. Ironic this is that we're selling more! More and more people are wanting to know about Duffy. It's like a hidden Disney gem. Guests always want to know the little secrets of the parks and I think(at least for DCA) that Duffy is sort of a Disney gem. Just going to the Treasures store at the back of the park and finding the little furry friend! It's an adventure! Thats how it felt for me at least when I got mine! It just makes it more fun! But having it in all the store in WDW is just ridiculous! Theres no novelty to the fact that you found Duffy because he is everywhere! When Guests see him at more than one store, thats when they think "Oh we'll just get it on the way out" and when the day is over, they forget about him completely and just want to go home.

Now, about those costumes...

It really seems to me that the whole Duffy push is aimed more towards WDW. DLR is more of an after thought to WDC. Ironic this is that we're selling more! More and more people are wanting to know about Duffy. It's like a hidden Disney gem. Guests always want to know the little secrets of the parks and I think(at least for DCA) that Duffy is sort of a Disney gem. Just going to the Treasures store at the back of the park and finding the little furry friend! It's an adventure! Thats how it felt for me at least when I got mine! It just makes it more fun! But having it in all the store in WDW is just ridiculous! Theres no novelty to the fact that you found Duffy because he is everywhere! When Guests see him at more than one store, thats when they think "Oh we'll just get it on the way out" and when the day is over, they forget about him completely and just want to go home.

I think you may be right. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but I saw far more Japanese tourists at WDW this trip versus DL. I used to see a lot at DLR and I expected to see a number of them at the Duffy opening, but I only saw a couple. In fact, one of the people someone thought was a Japanese tourist was actually a local who ironically is from here in Taiwan, not Japan.

Your statement about they will forget about him and "get one on the way out" is probably what they will think versus making a concerted effort to buy one when they see him in Treasures. I am glad to see he is doing well at DCA - I do hope he succeeds in the US, only because all the Duffy haters will have more to gloat about.

I think if you really look at Duffy for who he is, not for any story Disney has attached, he is a darn cute bear! That is how we became so attached (and how I ended up with multiple bears). I've always loved stuffed animals and Duffy just spoke to me. If you unclothed all my Duffy Bears and put them in a line up, I could tell each one apart. It's the individuality that drew me to Duffy in the first place. I thought it was a bit strange the first time I saw the Japanese holding multiple bears and spending 20 minutes picking out the right one, but I soon got it! How many other Disney (or any other stuffed) animals can you look at in a store and they all seem to have their own personalities. I am lucky to have both versions of the Tokyo Duffy (one manufactured in China versus Vietnam) and you'd almost never know they were the same bear. And even within the same style, the Duffy I brought my Mom from TDR is nearly 2 inches bigger in the waist than one of my bears. They are all a little unique...unfortunately, the hubby has banned me from buying any more bears as we'll exceed our carry on allowance if we travel with all of them again. LOL
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• You have much to learn...

I just got back last night from TDR & Duffy, as usual is still flying off the shelves. It was strange seeing him in Mermaid Lagoon and in the front shop- but that front shop was jam packed all day long-It just makes me wonder just how many people visit each day that don't actually own a Duffy yet. McDucks had a usual line to get in each day- so did Aunt Peg's.

It was great seeing Duffy & Shellie in the 7 Lights of Christmas show. I'm just wondering when Shellie May will be having meet & greets next. The Duffy photo location was at the dockside stage during the day & it looked like they made guests remain seated till their row was called. I didn't bother going in, but that is what it looked like to me, I just took a few shots from a distance.

Not to go off topic again- but with the question of snow at TDL- There is snow in front of the castle when they are doing the projections with the Christmas music & as much as I've complained about the lack of good fireworks- they have gotten much better in the past 2 years & work much better with the music than in the past.

yeah i feel the same way! it's so exciting going past the treasures in paradise store and seeing him! when you finally get your duffy its so exciting, and then taking him to the parks is even better!!! i swear it makes the day even more fun!

my friends in the beginning of the day were like "who is that bear your carrying?' and i told them the whole story and then when we went to go meet duffy they were like "ok i got to admit he is REALLY cute" made me so happy. and one of them was so excited that he hugged her!

• Adventures with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    I just got back last night from TDR & Duffy, as usual is still flying off the shelves. It was strange seeing him in Mermaid Lagoon and in the front shop- but that front shop was jam packed all day long-It just makes me wonder just how many people visit each day that don't actually own a Duffy yet. McDucks had a usual line to get in each day- so did Aunt Peg's.

It was great seeing Duffy & Shellie in the 7 Lights of Christmas show. I'm just wondering when Shellie May will be having meet & greets next. The Duffy photo location was at the dockside stage during the day & it looked like they made guests remain seated till their row was called. I didn't bother going in, but that is what it looked like to me, I just took a few shots from a distance.

Not to go off topic again- but with the question of snow at TDL- There is snow in front of the castle when they are doing the projections with the Christmas music & as much as I've complained about the lack of good fireworks- they have gotten much better in the past 2 years & work much better with the music than in the past.
    Its interesting that Duffy is in more locations at TDS. In Nov 08, I only found him at Aunt Pegs and McDucks. I think I may have seen a costume of his at the store for ToT, but Im not sure I remember that correctly. The three days I had in the park, never saw a line for him. Since then reading on line, it seems to me that Duffy has gotten bigger then ever. Does anyone else think he has gotten more popular over the past two years?

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    Its interesting that Duffy is in more locations at TDS. In Nov 08, I only found him at Aunt Pegs and McDucks. I think I may have seen a costume of his at the store for ToT, but Im not sure I remember that correctly. The three days I had in the park, never saw a line for him. Since then reading on line, it seems to me that Duffy has gotten bigger then ever. Does anyone else think he has gotten more popular over the past two years?
    No doubt about it. I visited TDR in April 2008 for the 25th Anniversary and Duffy was only available at Aunt Peg's. I remember walking in and buying Duffy in a very quiet shop - they only had two cash registers at the time and one of those was shut!

Fast forward to three weeks ago and I was back in Aunt Peg's - only this time, I was shuffling through the crowd and staking out the back corner while my partner shuffled around the floor to get her ShellieMay and assorted outfits!

Yes - there was no need to go to Aunt Peg's as we could have bought ShellieMay from any of the other three locations (which weren't as busy as Aunt Peg's at the time) - however my partner insisted that we buy her there as that is where our Duffy came from! (We actually took our original Duffy back to Japan with us to get photo's of the two of them around the park - we love our Duffy!)

The other thing we noticed was that Duffy was everywhere - the number of little Duffys we saw on people's bags throughout Tokyo (not just the resort area) was amazing. We also saw a Duffy on stage at the Disney on Classic concert we went to in Ichikawa City. And when leaving Japan, the airport security guy looked in the bag we were carrying on to the plane and said "Ooohhhh Duffy!"

So yes - I've no doubt that he is much more popular now in TDR than in 2008.

Oh yeah - one other thing we noticed during our trip - twice we saw girls around Disneysea with the giant Duffy - I'm not sure what his official size is, but he looks about 4+ feet tall and sells for 50,000yen from memory - now that's dedication to carry that around all day!
    KayBee
    Sydney, Australia

DLR - May 2005, Sept 2006, Sept 2009, June 2011, June 2012, April 2013
    WDW - Sept 2006, Mar 2013, April 2013, Sept 2013
    DLRP - Sept 2006
    HKDL - Mar 2006, Sept 2006, April 2011, Dec 2011, Jan 2012, Mar 2014
    TDR - April 2008, Oct 2010
    Disney Fantasy - Mar 2013

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    ...Since then reading on line, it seems to me that Duffy has gotten bigger then ever...
    I believed from the moment I saw him. Caught a lot of flack for it, too, when I first joined these boards. It's nice to see so many people "coming out of the closet" with Duffy love, and so many new fans. Duffy is unique in Disney history as he required transglobal intercultural interaction to reach his full potential and continues to transcend Disney's original notion of making a simple promo tool or cash cow. That's a product of the people - of the fans - that Disney can never truly take credit for or control. No matter how WDC tries to spin it, the Internet is full of record of what actually happened and who actually made it happen. He is the best teddy bear in history because his love is a love of creativity and connection despite corporate commercialism and I, along with lots of other people, will love him forever...even if it means feeding the corporate giant. Irony on every level. But as a friend said to me recently, at least when you buy in Japan, WDC is taking a smaller cut. Instead of trying to be the most powerful brainwashing entertainment corporation on the planet, scattering its energy and losing its ability to connect in its desperation for profit; OLC keeps its focus on making every day magical for every Guest in their parks, and they largely succeed nearly all the time.

I wish WDC would remember its legacy and find its soul; I would love to giving the Walt Disney Company my money for the joy of what their artists can do without hesitation or feeling like a victim in an abusive relationship.^^

PS - In writing this, and reading the above post, thinking about all the Shellie Mays I see everywhere nowadays, I realize that she has earned her own special and different place in my heart. Shellie May is, undoubtedly, wholly the result of Japanese fandom and her existence is a testament to the fact that no matter where the "Disney Bear" was designed, none of this would be happening without Japan and the OLC's restraint early on and careful response to demand. Makes me wonder - again - what happened to the smiling versions this year, but makes me smile to see that the reason I opened my heart to her is the same as the reason I loved Duffy. I look at both these bears and see a company and a fandom who are unafraid to believe in the Disney legacy of dreams, creativity and love. That's the best Disney magic there is.^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 11-17-2010 at 07:42 AM.

• Banned User

If it makes you feel nice Duffydad... two gals were carrying a small Duffy and Shelley mae plushes on my flight this evening from Tokyo Narita to Saipan.. So.. rejoice Saipan. Duffy and Shelley Mae are in town tonight. And imagine their surprise when the chief purser indentified such plushes.