Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162324252627 LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Can anyone tell me who around here I need to write to with a suggestion for a new sub forum for Duffy the Disney Bear. At the moment I feel we could really do with Duffy having his own area away from the other Disney park stuff. I see both Pin Trading and Vinylmation stuff both have sub forums already. If you view this thread for instance most of it has very little to do with the Tokyo Disney Resort. I think it would be great for Duffy Fans from all around the world to have a forum where we could become united and share pictures and discuss costume releases and various other matters that are important to the Duffy fanbase without having to hijack the Tokyo Disney Resort section or any other park section.

So I would be interested to know who is the right member/s to put this idea forward too for consideration.
    I second this! I've thought more than a few times lately that Duffy stuff was over-represented on the Tokyo boards, and that it would be nice to have a place where TDR/WDW/DLR/HKDL Duffy fans can all chat together. It prevents congesting park boards with product news and fan love, and it brings Duffy fans around the world together. I like this!^^. Dustysage would probably be a good person to talk to. He's always been 5 million different kinds of awesome when I've had the pleasure of talking to him.

Oh, and about that awful, unoriginal Valentine mess… I have two words: Sweet. Duffy.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

The 12 inch Valentine's Day Duffy is also already popping up on Ebay, so you can see the costume that way. Unfortunately, it looks like they are continuing with the cheap fabric route, and the execution could be much better. They didn't even bother with a "Mickey Mark" on his behind, like everything done in Tokyo.
    I always find this stuff looks better viewing it in person rather than in pictures. But that costume does look a bit cheap. Its also not very Disney like really, would Disney ever design a costume for Mickey that had him topless in a pair of pink shorts with heart designs on it and wings on his back.

I second this! I've thought more than a few times lately that Duffy stuff was over-represented on the Tokyo boards, and that it would be nice to have a place where TDR/WDW/DLR/HKDL Duffy fans can all chat together.
    An update. I contacted Dustysage who has recomended starting all general Duffy discussion in the General Collectibles Discussion section. If the demand is high and we can get enough people making comments and participating he will consider creating a subsection for Duffy in the future. So I welcome you to join me over in the General Collectibles Discussion section now for all Duffy related discussion that isn't Tokyo Disney specific.
    Last edited by Malin; 12-16-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

new TDR duffy product

?Duffy? The Disney Bear | ?????????

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Oops, I put it up in Collectibles and forgot to post this here (LINK to official site, "Year Duffy" formerly known as "New Year Collection Doll"). Thanks, dizneydogs! Just to offer a bit more context, these Duffys have been released annually after Christmas since 2007. They are considerably smaller than normal Duffys - about a quarter the size - handmade, numbered, and I imagine highly collectible, though I've never met anyone who has one or seen one firsthand. This year marks the first time that this information was posted on the official site prior to release, and also the first time we see the traditional Duffy colorway, although a bit yellow. Previous versions are:

2007: Chocolate
    2008: Pink
    2009: Blue
    2010: White

The Blue and White versions look especially cute together, as can be seen on this BLOG.

This year's, with its "Classic Duffy" color scheme is the first one I'd really want, but sadly, I can't afford it at the moment. It really is a shame; even the ribbon is the classic color. This actually makes me really very sad. I had been kinda waiting for this... I'll probably find a way to live, though, somehow.^^

Anybody wanna buy some Japan-only TRON goods to fund my "2011 Collection Duffy?"

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by dizneydogs View Post
    $150+ for this? Besides handmade, how limited is it? Has to be something to justify this incredibly high retail price. Anyone have the 411?

• Surfin the net with Duffy

That is insane!! I honestly don't like it!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Munchings & Crunchings

It's cute, but for the size, it really is expensive. I think it's mohair though, so the cost of the fur, and the limited availability make the cost high? Then again, that expensive Duffy watch doesn't look worth the price either.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Guest Relations can't say how many (although more than previous years) and there's no serial number. They are all actually individually handmade. I still don't know if I'll buy it. If I was ever going to, it would be this one. But that's a LOT of money for a very small thing I don't really need. Hm…

• Munchings & Crunchings

Looks like Disney Fan has a preview of the "Sweet Duffy" 2011 costumes & merch...and it's cute...again. It's actually a variation on the first "Sweet Duffy" costume. Duffy is in his cafe costume, but the colors are different. Shellie May has a very cute "country style" dress with lace, and hearts for pockets.

• Banned User

Any pics? I can't wait to get these! They'll be my first sweet Duffy costumes! Eeeek so excited!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Any pics? I can't wait to get these! They'll be my first sweet Duffy costumes! Eeeek so excited!
    Aw, man, Gurgi "scooped" me! I was gonna put these up last night, but I was too tired to upload and such. Anyway, here's the photos:

The full costumes are ¥3600 each. I don't think Shellie's pocket's are hearts, but they have bows!:

These straps are ¥1300, I think:

These are ¥1600, if memory serves. I hope they're full 3D and we can see the "hip" Mickey marks on the back:

And here's some towels, cups and snacks:

So now all we need is a recycling of the raincoat (cos Shellie needs one, too) and we've come full circle. I really would have liked an Akihabara-style French maid, but the something about Shellie May's costume (maybe the bow?) reminds me of the Haunted Mansion uniform, and I'm loving that. The colors are wonderful!

This is really something missing from the strategy in the US parks. There, with the same outfits available all the time, you just buy the outfits cos you wanna dress your bear. But in Tokyo with such extremely high quality costumes available for a limited time, released to coincide with each season of the parks, it really does become a souvenir of a particular time and event, elevating it to a much higher memorial/emotional value. The more I think about it, what they're doing in the US is really still just the Disney Bear with a name. It's just not even the same fundamental concept as Duffy. Duffy in Tokyo is absolutely and seamlessly integrated into multiple layers of the park experience and Tokyo Disney fandom. It's not like Disney Parks US doesn't have a highly successful model - why aren't they using it? The ways they chose to change the Duffy marketing model speak volumes to their lack of respect for fans ("they won't be able to understand this but let's try to make some money anyway") and also their lack of faith in the product/character (cheaping out in both selection and quality). At least we have these costumes to look forward to here. These are the first ones I've loved with genuinely no hesitation since Shellie May debuted. It's actually making me more excited about the TDS 10th Anniversary, which I'm still optimistically assuming will have at least one new costume release every month. If we're returning to this level of quality and design, it really will "Be Magical."^^

PS: I was really thinking seriously about it, but I doubt I'll buy the "Year Bear" with all this coming out now. I could buy just that to put on a shelf, or a LOT of this that I might actually use in photos or on bags, etc...
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-22-2010 at 06:08 PM.

• Adventures with Duffy

I think that is my favorite Shellie May costume to date. Very cute. Thank you for posting.

I have to agree(selfishly) that I wish they come out with another rain coat. My Duffy could sure use one, with the rains we have had lately in California. lol

I do agree with you, DuffyDaisuki, I think the states parks should do costume releases like Tokyo does. People stand in long lines for hours in the states for Pins(yes I have done it too, lol). I think they do it because they like what is being offered and they know it may not be around for a long time. But then again, Disney has to say this items is only available during these days while supplies last. I have waited in long lines for an item, have been told by disney that it was limited release only to find in the stores months later. Boy was I upset I wasted my time in line.

Maybe if they did do a limited time release it may create more intreats in Duffy. I means pins don't have a story line, they are just cute and you interact with other guest and CM when trading. Those figurines that has a long name that starts with a V(sorry i forget what they are called), they seem popular enough. I look at them and think just another thing to dust. lol But guest like them and collect them. I think they are also limited time items or limit numbers, so it creates the want to collect.

I also think DCA is doing itself a disservice in not having a Duffy only store. The state side parks sell the same stuff in every store, oh don't get me started on this topic. lol Anyhow, so for me, I skip the store that now sells Duffy in PP. There is never anything different in that store, so why stop. Well if people don't know about Duffy, they aren't going to stop and check it out. So how is he going to find his fan base? Any why isn't Duffy on the cover of the DCA guide map? Really cheap advertisement. And don't put the 10" 2011 Duffy Bear on the cover. Put the 17" Duffy, barrow a TDS or a BaB Christmas costume and take a photo of Duffy. Maybe have a saying somewhere, like Who is Duffy? Where can you find Duffy? Come meet Duffy! Do something!!!!

• Banned User

Thank you for sharing the pictures! Those costumes look absolutely adorable. If only ebay sellers wouldn't charge $100 for a DisneySea Duffy outfit...

I just can't keep up! I just was at TDR a few days ago and now they will come out with the special mohair bear next week.

I don't think anyone has posted about the very expensive Duffy watch (34,000 yen) that was released last Friday (12/17). I had zero intention of getting it, but that was the day we were there and my husband actually got it for me for Xmas - I think he felt bad we lost out on the Christmas Wishes lottery! LOL There was also a new Shellie May necklace released for the holidays as well, but it sold out right away so I only got to see a picture of it.

When is the Sweet Duffy stuff being released? I didn't see the dates posted, but might have just missed it. I am guessing some time in Feb and of course, I will actually be in the US the entire month. I need to find a shopping buddy in Tokyo. LOL

In talking about the culture of Duffy in Japan -- I have to mention that I saw a lot of Duffy stuff in Southern Japan this trip - we were in Hiroshima and Osaka and I saw multiple people with Xmas Duffy stuff. It was quite interesting.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Adventures with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Thank you for sharing the pictures! Those costumes look absolutely adorable. If only ebay sellers wouldn't charge $100 for a DisneySea Duffy outfit...
    I see those e-bay listings and wonder if they ever sell? Its a lot of money for a costume.

Poohstraveler, that is cool you saw people with Duffys outside the parks in Japan.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162324252627 LastLast