Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21724252627

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

How exciting, thanks for posting!!! I am going to go broke with these 3600 yen costumes, and I must have that "charm" I dunno what I would do with it, but it is very kawaii!!

Has anyone seen the the costume for the January release?? My roommates and I like to get different costumes for our Duffy's, they would not be caught dead wearing the same couture!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Thank you so much for posting the picture! I am so excited! That are so adorable and a must have for me! I gotta have them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I see those e-bay listings and wonder if they ever sell? Its a lot of money for a costume.

Poohstraveler, that is cool you saw people with Duffys outside the parks in Japan.
    Thanks Janell! It was pretty cool especially since we had our Duffy crew in tow! :-) BTW, I have to agree that the ebay listings that start at $100 for the outfits are ridiculous. Seems like they keep being relisted - I haven't seen any of those sell. I've thought about if there is any benefit in starting a shopping service for people back in the US when I go. If I charged a little over what it costs me to buy the items, maybe I could justify flying out more often. HAHA. The problem is for me that I have to stay at least one night as I don't have enough time between the two daily flights from Taipei on Delta. By the time I'd get to the park, I'd have to turn around and head back. I wish Tokyo was as close as HK Disney is for us....although that could be dangerous - I'd want to fly out for every single Duffy release! LOL

What irritates me more is Disney (at least DCA) is allowing people to buy 50 bears at a time. Tokyo DisneySEA only allows 3 of one item at a time. I found out the DCA Valentine's bears were released because I saw 160 of them on eBay....only 4 auctions - 3 auctions with 50 each and 1 with 10 bears. I sent my Mom off to DCA in search of him and she was told they are selling out early in the day because people are bringing in big groups and buying up the 50 limit each. It's going to backfire on them though as I honestly did not see near as much US Duffy stuff at Tokyo this trip. I've heard that some people are not willing to pay the insane prices some of the eBay sellers are charging and I don't blame them. It also leaves no merchandise for the DCA park goers and if people cannot get merchandise because it's all being sold on eBay in mass quantities, poor Duffy is going to be more hated and US Disney park goers will lose interest quickly. Also, if US Disney is going to try and really appeal to the Japanese, I think they are going to need to market the keychain and smaller dressed Duffy bears, not the $25 seasonal ones -- it's easier for people to carry 15 keychain sized bears than 10 12"inch ones.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Banned User

Poohstraveler, I would definitely buy a new keychain each time a seasonal outfit came out. But to buy a new 12" bear each time is just absurd.

Futureimagineer, do you buy DisneySea Duffy costumes? If so, from where?

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by poohstraveler View Post
    I've thought about if there is any benefit in starting a shopping service for people back in the US when I go...
    I used to do a shopping service, got a little overwhelmed and stopped it, and have decided that I'm ready to offer it again. There are so many new Duffy fans here, and it feels like an exciting time. I'd be honored to play a role in helping more people share the Dufflove! I've already posted about the details, which are open to discussion, in the Buy/Sell/Trade area in Collectibles, which will hopefully soon get its own forum if we keep posting there. I wanna start sub-groups for Tokyo/DCA/WDW/HK, as well as fan fiction, fan art, park photos, etc. Keep bringing the love!^^

What irritates me more is Disney (at least DCA) is allowing people to buy 50 bears at a time. Tokyo DisneySEA only allows 3 of one item at a time.
    While I agree about the absurdity of what's happening on eBay, I worry about how difficult that shopping limit will make it for me to run the service before I get the Annual Pass again and can go multiple days... I will work something out; I am determined to do this!^^

Also, if US Disney is going to try and really appeal to the Japanese, I think they are going to need to market the keychain and smaller dressed Duffy bears, not the $25 seasonal ones -- it's easier for people to carry 15 keychain sized bears than 10 12"inch ones.
    This is SO true! If Japanese tourists are really a large enough percentage of sales to justify it, they should be offering the keychain bears. Those are extremely popular in Japan, and the reason I see Duffy everyday. Actually, even in the US, I think "bag candy" is popular for women. Not the same as Asia, but popular - and it's the free advertising that really pushes Duffy into the public eye in Tokyo, I think. This is an excellent idea for Japanese tourists who would that French one on their Louis Vuitton bag!^^

PS: Congratulations on that watch! They won't say numbers, but it's bound to be a relatively small release. Are you wearing it on your wrist, as a necklace, on a bag? How are you planning to use it?

Also: I just noticed your TOTALLY AWESOME avatar!!!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-23-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Fixed Link.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    If Japanese tourists are really a large enough percentage of sales to justify it, they should be offering the keychain bears.
    The number of Japanese tourist at DLR and WDW is a very small percentage of all the Guests that visit the resorts.

While at times the number of Japanaese Guests (which in some people's assesment mistakenly include other Asian Guests from Korea, China, Taiwan, etc.) may seem significant, I can say that Japanese make up less than 2%-3% of total attendance figure. Hardly enough for Disney to target or cater to in their overall merchandise strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    The number of Japanese tourist at DLR and WDW is a very small percentage of all the Guests that visit the resorts.

While at times the number of Japanaese Guests (which in some people's assesment mistakenly include other Asian Guests from Korea, China, Taiwan, etc.) may seem significant, I can say that Japanese make up less than 2%-3% of total attendance figure. Hardly enough for Disney to target or cater to in their overall merchandise strategy.
    Although I was not talking about Japanese guests at DL/WDW, I think your figures might be rather low actually. Granted it's been about 4 years since I regularly visited Disneyland multiple times a week since moving away, but I remember the days when the Japanese would charter entire planes to come over (when pin trading was big). Now, it seems that more Japanese choose to visit WDW if they choose to visit a US Park at all.

I do not think the other Asian countries actually visit the US Parks much at all - everyone here in Taiwan goes to Japan or HK. There is no marketing for the US Parks here - it is all about HK and Tokyo only.

What I was talking about was sales of the bears on Ebay, which is what DuffyDad's comment was in response to. Every auction that is listing multiple bears IS catering to the Japanese. These are being purchased by Japanese auction services or a local who is then reselling them on the Japanese auctions. Most of the listings include a line that says "Will ship to Japan." In speaking with fans over here, they are not willing to pay the insane starting prices these auction listings have - and there is no room for them to make anything when they resell them in Japan. By allowing people to buy 50 of each type of bear, I think Disney is trying to cater to the Japanese market.

I actually flew out to DCA and Hong Kong for both the Duffy debuts and I did not see that many Japanese at DCA, but there were a number at HK. I've had the opportunity to speak with various higher ups at both DL and WDW who were involved in the Duffy design and launch and they are definitely paying close attention to the Japan culture. The conversations seemed to suggest they are trying to cater to the Duffy fans worldwide. And if they proceed with this "One Disney Parks" concept, then how the merchandise is marketed becomes even more crucial.

I am not sure if you've visited Tokyo Disney since Duffy was launched in the US, but I saw much less US "Disney Bear" stuff this time around than my last four trips this year. Previously, I saw many baby Disney bears, the older bears of various colors, the NYC bears, etc. I was just there again Friday and I did not see one single US Duffy outfit or older bear in a two day period - I only saw one 2011 bear. That goes back to my original comment that the people who are buying up all the bears and listing them in lots of 50 may find themselves stuck with a lot of bears if the Japanese community turns their back on the US merchandise.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

• Munchings & Crunchings

DuffyDaisuki, thank you for posting the pictures!! I didn't see the details closely on Shellie May's costume and I have to revise what I said. No heart pockets, and it looks like it's actually a full apron. She looks like a CM in Cape Cod somewhere, or even on Main Street. It's very cute...not quite French maid, but derivative. Love all the shades of brown. Also, it looks like she's got bloomers on underneath her dress.

It now makes me really curious what the January 7th "Hello From Cape Cod" costumes will be.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    It now makes me really curious what the January 7th "Hello From Cape Cod" costumes will be.
    Oh no! I was thinking the 1/7 release would be "Sweet Duffy," but you're right; there may be two sets at the same time. Ouch! My wallet just bit me!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    This is more like what I imagined, though releasing the US outfits as keychains here and the Japanese costumes there would probably make a lot of folks happy, and make Disney and OLC a lot of money.^^

I am not sure if you've visited Tokyo Disney since Duffy was launched in the US, but I saw much less US "Disney Bear" stuff this time around than my last four trips this year. Previously, I saw many baby Disney bears, the older bears of various colors, the NYC bears, etc. I was just there again Friday and I did not see one single US Duffy outfit or older bear in a two day period - I only saw one 2011 bear. That goes back to my original comment that the people who are buying up all the bears and listing them in lots of 50 may find themselves stuck with a lot of bears if the Japanese community turns their back on the US merchandise.
    I'm not sure I'm following you, poohstraveler. Are you saying you saw US stuff in the Tokyo parks, cos I have never seen anything Duffy-related from the States in shops at TDS. Or do you mean you're seeing less fans carrying US goods? Now I'm thinking that's what you mean.^^

Anyway, good. It's like ticket scalpers. They make the market totally skewed and they have no love themselves; just profitting from other people's inability to purchase, which is often due to the fact that the resellers bought all the product in the first place. I hope it blows up in their faces and they cut it out. I honestly don't know why anyone in Japan would feel the need to import anything that has been released in the US so far, certainly not at premium prices.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-23-2010 at 09:00 AM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

The scalpers are a big problem with the collectability. I also hope it blows up in their faces. The thing is, it's the fans that created the demand for the original Disney Bears in the first place, and now the scalpers see $$$ signs and are gouging the fans. Ok, so a lavender Disney Bear sells for $800...well, they're rare these days, and obviously the Japanese fans felt like paying that price. Well, now with the lots of 10, 20, 50 bears for sale at high prices, there isn't exactly a shortage online...and the fans aren't biting. Hopefully these sellers get stuck with a lot of Duffy stock...

Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that the January 7th costume release is separate from the Sweet Duffy one, which starts on the 21st, I think? So...yeah, we're going to be broke! It's one reason why (although you want it), I hope they don't release a costume a month for TDS's 10th anniversary. It would be very difficult for me to keep up with that, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Oh no! I was thinking the 1/7 release would be "Sweet Duffy," but you're right; there may be two sets at the same time. Ouch! My wallet just bit me!

This is more like what I imagined, though releasing the US outfits as keychains here and the Japanese costumes there would probably make a lot of folks happy, and make Disney and OLC a lot of money.^^

I'm not sure I'm following you, poohstraveler. Are you saying you saw US stuff in the Tokyo parks, cos I have never seen anything Duffy-related from the States in shops at TDS. Or do you mean you're seeing less fans carrying US goods? Now I'm thinking that's what you mean.^^

Anyway, good. It's like ticket scalpers. They make the market totally skewed and they have no love themselves; just profitting from other people's inability to purchase, which is often due to the fact that the resellers bought all the product in the first place. I hope it blows up in their faces and they cut it out. I honestly don't know why anyone in Japan would feel the need to import anything that has been released in the US so far, certainly not at premium prices.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that the January 7th costume release is separate from the Sweet Duffy one, which starts on the 21st, I think? So...yeah, we're going to be broke! It's one reason why (although you want it), I hope they don't release a costume a month for TDS's 10th anniversary. It would be very difficult for me to keep up with that, LOL!
    Yep, the park event "Disney Sweet Love" starts from 1/7, but "Sweet Duffy" doesn't roll out until 1/21. I guess the next "Cape Cod" release is timed to the park event.

I can't believe it's Christmas Eve! I am just not feeling it this year…. Anyway, merry Christmas, Duffy lovers!^^

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

By the way fans of Duffy the Disney Bear are now more than welcome to join us over on the new subsection here on MiceChat. Duffy / The Disney Bear Hope to see you all there!
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

People who do things like that make me sick. Saw one of the Valentine Duffys for the regular price online here, and then below that someone was selling one for almost $150.00. Plus I found that guy that comes in and buys all the Duffy pins in the morning on eBay; he sells them in lots of 10 for nearly $100.00. It's disgusting; someone should definitely put a limit on these things because it's so unfair to people who just want to buy a few for themselves & friends, not make obscene amounts of money on them. These people are nothing but a bunch of greedy pigs. It's sad & just so not in the Duffy spirit. Things like that make Duffy sad...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I see those e-bay listings and wonder if they ever sell? Its a lot of money for a costume.

Poohstraveler, that is cool you saw people with Duffys outside the parks in Japan.
    I agree

Best of lurck!

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Lover View Post
    People who do things like that make me sick. Saw one of the Valentine Duffys for the regular price online here, and then below that someone was selling one for almost $150.00. Plus I found that guy that comes in and buys all the Duffy pins in the morning on eBay; he sells them in lots of 10 for nearly $100.00. It's disgusting; someone should definitely put a limit on these things because it's so unfair to people who just want to buy a few for themselves & friends, not make obscene amounts of money on them. These people are nothing but a bunch of greedy pigs. It's sad & just so not in the Duffy spirit. Things like that make Duffy sad...
    Wow re post this over in the Duffy section. Its insane to think how much some are willing to pay for all this Duffy stuff. Especially when you could pick up an average price Valentine Day Duffy online for about $35.00 and have it shipped anyway in the world for only $25.00. Its obvious must of the Duffy EBAY sellers are targetting the Japanese market. Personally in a way I feel Disney are some what to blame. If Epcot and DCA were selling the same merchandise that DisneySea is currently selling and vice versa the demand for making silly purchases for EBAY items would be gone. Would it hurt for Aunt Peg's in Cape Cod to get hold of the Duffy pins that have recently been released?
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21724252627