Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• The Darkness to Light

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

I'm with Malin on this one. I don't think it will catch on as well as in Japan, mostly because I think the US doesn't have a strong "Cute" subculture population as Japan does. What little I know about that subculture from my undergrad is that they are strong and unashamed at liking all things deamed cute by design. In the US, most people tend to grow out of obsessing over cute things.

Which is ironic, because the US culture seems to be more socially accepting to nerds than the Japanese.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    I'm with Malin on this one. I don't think it will catch on as well as in Japan, mostly because I think the US doesn't have a strong "Cute" subculture population as Japan does. What little I know about that subculture from my undergrad is that they are strong and unashamed at liking all things deamed cute by design. In the US, most people tend to grow out of obsessing over cute things.

Which is ironic, because the US culture seems to be more socially accepting to nerds than the Japanese.
    I think the "nerd acceptance" in the US is a more recent thing. Now, it's been used as fodder for TV shows and films. I mean, it's a whole genre of films now. After Napoleon Dynamite, there have been countless others with nerdy heroes. Even shows like "Glee" showcase people that would have been mocked years ago. Now, it's "cool" to be kind of geeky. However, like I said, this has been a more recent trend.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I hope his backstory is the (or as close to)same as TDR's. I think how they are going to incorporate him in DCA, is that, Mickey, traveling from Cape Cod(there should be a mural, showing the cape cod section of American Waterfront in a possable Duffy store)but missies Minnie very much, comes to Pacifc Wharf and remembers Duffy, the bear Minnie gave him and becomes very happy and not so lonesome. As for Epcot's, it would be familiar to DCA's(just with Mickey Traveling the world with Duffy) execpt, the Duffy store would be between the American Adventure and Japan Pavilions. The DCA Store would be called, Duffy's Duties and the Epcot Store would be called Meet The World with Mickey & Duffy()

Timekeeper
    just a repost as to one Idea as to be rethemed to DCA & Epcot.

Timekeeper

• Banned User

Obviously, there is no love for Duffy's HKDL brother bear here...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Obviously, there is no love for Duffy's HKDL brother bear here...
    My sister thinks 'Duffy's HKDL brother bear' isn't as cuddly as Duffy lol

• Banned User

I agree with your sister.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

That is the thing, Duffy is so cuddly!!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Munchings & Crunchings

After reading this article, which is kind of tongue-in-cheek, maybe fans in the US might buy into Duffy...only secretly!

Apparently teddy bears are popular with adults too, and a study done by a hotel chain says that one third of adults go to bed with a teddy bear, or stuffed animal, and 25% of men away on business bring teddy bears with them.

75,000 teddy bears left behind in hotels every year | Gadling.com

So...maybe people will get into Duffy in the US...just on the "down low", LOL!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    That is the thing, Duffy is so cuddly!!
    So am I.

• Munchings & Crunchings

By the way, I just started a "Duffy blog". I figured there are no English language sites dedicated to him, so I would start one. Basically to let people know who and what Duffy is. I know there is a lot of confusion about his origins...at least to people who don't check out the TDR section on MiceChat, LOL.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://duffythedisneybear.blogspot.com/

Gurgi - great info on Duffy, I am looking forward to reading more!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    By the way, I just started a "Duffy blog". I figured there are no English language sites dedicated to him, so I would start one. Basically to let people know who and what Duffy is. I know there is a lot of confusion about his origins...at least to people who don't check out the TDR section on MiceChat, LOL.

Anyway, here's the link:

Duffy the Disney Bear
    Thank you so much gurgi!!! I wish more people would also become a "fan" of Duffy the Disney Bear on facebook!!!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

Very nice Duffy blog Gurgi, but may I suggest you add the link to your personalized signature so everyone here, no matter where you post, can see it?

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Very nice Duffy blog Gurgi, but may I suggest you add the link to your personalized signature so everyone here, no matter where you post, can see it?
    You know what, I tried that, but for some reason it's not showing up. I did it several times yesterday, and nothing. Maybe it's because I put an image in there too, but I don't know why that wouldn't work (it was within size restrictions). I've seen so many people's signatures with pictures, I thought I would try. Maybe I'll just put the link...no photo....

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, NOW it shows up!! Still no picture, but what the heck, why did it just "pop" up on that post?

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast