Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    I wish they would not limit it to APers uggh. I am very curious to examine their Duffy, I hope it is not the regular Disney Bear with a new label.
    The APer event is on sept 18th at the odysea restaurant location. I wont be able to attend it because I will be in HKDL attending their halloween events. So we need someone to cover this for the site. I am sure Kevin yee or Denise (nbodyhome) will cover it.

As for the plush on that E-Bay above... careful, I was at EPCOT today and did not see this plush on sale anywhere. I highly doubt that it is a WDW item.. as it looks more like the regular TDS bear.. and yet, who knows.. it does not look as nice as the high quality Duffys I am used to seeing in TDS. I still don't think this is going to take off as pins did. Even Vinylmation has been a disappointment in sales.. I can't see folks getting hardcore for Duffy.. and I can't see WDW selling the same high quality items as they do in TDS. But we'll have to wait and see...

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Only time will tell, I told my Duffy that he can visit his ghetto cousins at Epcot hahaha!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• i heart plunging v-necks

Ew, the tush tag has the generic "Disney Parks" logo. At least my Duffy is 100% geniune Tokyo Disney Sea.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Damn, they don't waste any time, do they? Somebody jumped the gun. Still, like Travis said, I'm hopeful. They are using the TDS design, book, and everything. The only difference seems to be the "Disney Parks" branding on his tags. I am willing to bet that Disney is actually sharing production with OLC on this one to save cost. They only need different tags. I'm hoping this is successful, but that Valentine's pin kind of scares me because it's not consistent with the new Duffy scheme...Disney, don't screw this up, please!

• Munchings & Crunchings

I need to see the storybook. I wish that seller had taken pictures of the inside of that. The artwork is exactly the same as TDS, but what about the story inside? I suppose it actually is generic enough to work. That little version has no real mention of Cape Cod. The larger picture book does, but even that could pass at EPCOT...if they were feeling extra lazy...

The thing they're going to have to realize about Duffy though is that to make it in the US, he needs more "Disney". He's generic enough right now that people will wonder why he's Disney other than his Mickey marks. That's the only reason Vinylmation took off, is because of the Disney branding and the unique "artwork" on each one. If they start releasing special Disney character costumes, or cast member costumes for Duffy, I think that will help greatly to get fans to buy him. I mean, come on, if you can buy a Haunted Mansion costume for Duffy (they already did one at TDL for the 25th), then I'm sure a bunch of people would buy it just for that.

I have to admit, the generic sailor getup we all love, just won't cut it by itself with American fans.

• You have much to learn...

Too bad I won't be around WDW in Sept for the passholder unveiling- I'll be prepping for my trip to Disneyland.

I may switch my WDW trip till 10/13-10/17 so I can be there when he arrives.

I wonder if some store slipped up and put him out early for sale by mistake-I guess I'll need one to put on my chair with the others. I wonder if they will follow up with Shellie May later on. They are probably playing it safe for now to see if he catches on in the states, but I hope if he does, Disney doesn't flood the market again and kill it like they have done with collectibles & pins.

I too wish I had bought the original Disney Bears in various colors back then- I too, could have made a small fortune with them- I just have the basic light brown version & don't want to part with it.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I wonder how well these USA versions will sell to Japanese fans? This particular auction linked to only went for $49, but I don't know if Japan knows about his debut here yet. I can imagine some fans will want him, and maybe some of you could snatch up some Duffies to sell on Ebay? Not that I want a Duffy "black market", but I'm just saying, judging by how much the pastel ones are going for...

• Disney Fan & Musician

The listing has ended now... Maybe it was a fake.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    The listing has ended now... Maybe it was a fake.
    I doubt it was fake, but it could have been Disney forcing them to end it because they shouldn't be for sale yet. It looked pretty official, and I doubt somebody would go to the trouble to manufacture special tags to make a fake one.

• Banned User

They do go to all the trouble in China...

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The APer event is on sept 18th at the odysea restaurant location. I wont be able to attend it because I will be in HKDL attending their halloween events. So we need someone to cover this for the site. I am sure Kevin yee or Denise (nbodyhome) will cover it.
    Yup, I'll be covering it. Got my reservation already!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks, Kevin! Please let us know the details when you find out.

• i heart plunging v-necks

The DCA event was just announced for 9/16 at Stage 17 in Hollywood Pictures Backlot. I'll definitely be there but no word as to whether my TDS Duffy will be toted along to meet his ghetto Disney Parks cousin.

http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservic...rpreviews.html

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post

As for the plush on that E-Bay above... careful, I was at EPCOT today and did not see this plush on sale anywhere. I highly doubt that it is a WDW item.. as it looks more like the regular TDS bear.. and yet, who knows.. it does not look as nice as the high quality Duffys I am used to seeing in TDS. I still don't think this is going to take off as pins did. Even Vinylmation has been a disappointment in sales.. I can't see folks getting hardcore for Duffy.. and I can't see WDW selling the same high quality items as they do in TDS. But we'll have to wait and see...
    I think it's sorta hilarious that you say that even though the bear looks exactly the same as in DisneySea, it looks less "high-quality" just because it's in another park. I'm pretty sure they're the same guys, it just doesn't make sense to have a "high-quality" Duffy factory just for TDS and a "cheap-and-easy" factory just for the American parks. Though I TOTALLY agree that most things in Tokyo are WAY better than in WDW, I think you're going to have to let this one slide.

And I'm pretty sure the whole pin-collecting thing is more highly emphasized in the American parks than in Tokyo, right? And though I'm not sure how you know Vinylmation is a disappointment in sales, from my view it seems like the little figures are actually doing REALLY well, with the new WDW store pretty busy and even the Walt Disney Co. bringing them to the new Disney Stores in the U.S. And I think even Kevin Yee likes them, and that's a pretty big accomplishment considering he LOVES to nitpick about "bad show" in WDW!
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyson 1 View Post
    I think it's sorta hilarious that you say that even though the bear looks exactly the same as in DisneySea, it looks less "high-quality" just because it's in another park. I'm pretty sure they're the same guys, it just doesn't make sense to have a "high-quality" Duffy factory just for TDS and a "cheap-and-easy" factory just for the American parks. Though I TOTALLY agree that most things in Tokyo are WAY better than in WDW, I think you're going to have to let this one slide.
    Actually, I will not let it slide. Just ask Gurgi or TravisMT81. The Duffy plush is clearly a more polished design over the ones sold at WDW. If I was a bear fan and had both at home, I would take a picture to let you see for yourself, but I am not. So I have to depend on those who love the bear.. Remember, its NOT me who refered to the WDW bears as "Duffy's ghetto cousins".

So GURGI??? TRAVIS??? Any comments? And don't get me started on HKDL's bear version, which is even of worst quality over the WDW ones.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast