Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Is it really that much worse than TDS? Ow, that's bad. It's too bad, Duffy's a really good idea.
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Actually, I will not let it slide. Just ask Gurgi or TravisMT81. The Duffy plush is clearly a more polished design over the ones sold at WDW. If I was a bear fan and had both at home, I would take a picture to let you see for yourself, but I am not. So I have to depend on those who love the bear.. Remember, its NOT me who refered to the WDW bears as "Duffy's ghetto cousins".

So GURGI??? TRAVIS??? Any comments? And don't get me started on HKDL's bear version, which is even of worst quality over the WDW ones.
    Yes, I can attest to this personally. Now, the "new" Duffy coming out next month may be the same quality as the TDS version. So far, from pictures, it looks like it. That said, the older Disney Bears are absolutely not as well made as the Japanese ones. I've compared them a few times on the boards before, but if you are holding them side-by-side, you will notice a marked difference. Even the ones that look very similar to Duffy are not as nice. The more recent ones that got shrunk down and have a different fur and face are even cheaper. I'm not bashing WDW or DL for this, but just stating a fact that there is obviously a difference in quality and different production facilities making the bears.

I hope the "American" Duffy will be a different case, and maybe Disney and OLC really are sharing production of the bears this time.

• i heart plunging v-necks

Just registered for the 11:30 DCA Event. I'm very curious as to where Duffy will set up shop or if the merchandise will be available parkwide.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Pongo is my hero.

I'd love to check if Tokyo Duffy's are made in China like the rest probably are. If I were a gambling man, I'd say they're all the same plush and the fandom is going to your heads. (;

one hundred and one

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Yes, I can attest to this personally. Now, the "new" Duffy coming out next month may be the same quality as the TDS version. So far, from pictures, it looks like it. That said, the older Disney Bears are absolutely not as well made as the Japanese ones. I've compared them a few times on the boards before, but if you are holding them side-by-side, you will notice a marked difference. Even the ones that look very similar to Duffy are not as nice. The more recent ones that got shrunk down and have a different fur and face are even cheaper. I'm not bashing WDW or DL for this, but just stating a fact that there is obviously a difference in quality and different production facilities making the bears.

I hope the "American" Duffy will be a different case, and maybe Disney and OLC really are sharing production of the bears this time.
    Thanks Gurgi.. this is exactly what I have mentioned before. And as you said, I can only hope the new Duffy series will be of better quality and I personally will check into it as soon as I see the US version on the shelf.
    Any other comments Disneyson1?

• Spontaneous Dancer

Just registered for the 2 o'clock presentation. Anyone else?

• Banned User

I wish I was able to attend the presentations but won't be around for that. if I have any consolation it is that I hope to get my Halloween 2010 Duffy and Shelley Mae tomorrow...

• i heart plunging v-necks

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    I'd love to check if Tokyo Duffy's are made in China like the rest probably are. If I were a gambling man, I'd say they're all the same plush and the fandom is going to your heads. (;
    Mine says Made in Vietnam.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Just registered for the 2:00pm presentation at DCA on Sunday, September 19. Can't wait to meet Duffy!

Talking Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

I wish I was able to attend the presentations but won't be around for that. if I have any consolation it is that I hope to get my Halloween 2010 Duffy and Shelley Mae tomorrow...
    Ok, we are just following each other around it appears! LOL I am flying to Tokyo today (will arrive Thursday afternoon) for opening day to hopefully get my Duffy and Shellie May Halloween stuff and then I am in HK a couple days before you next week!

I am not going to the DCA presentations for Duffy but am sending the parents to report back for me! They are registered for the 2pm session as well. My annual pass is registered back to their address in Los Angeles while I am living in Asia and she said we got the AP newsletter today and it has something on Duffy. Will try to post on here, but terrible with this stuff sometimes. From the photo, it looks a lot like the TDS Duffy so I am hoping the quality is good. Like you mentioned in another post TDLFAN, the quality of the DL/WDW Disney Bears and the HK version are seriously lacking when compared with TDS. I have both Duffys made in Vietnam and China, along with DL/WDW and HK ones. (All four of my bears are coming with me to TDS tomorrow lol). I am really hoping I can get the Halloween stuff!!

Just for the record, I know it was very doubtful, but I scoured Disneyland Paris this past weekend for hopes of finding anything that resembled their version of Duffy or a Disney Bear but nothing. The CMs were quite intrigued with our bears though and said they wished they had something like that. The closest thing we found was a tote bag that featured the "starry eye" characters from HKDL, but not their version of Duffy on it. It was interesting as the bag said "Disneyland Paris via Hong Kong Disneyland Resort" on the front.

I can't wait to get to TDS tomorrow, although I am a bit nervous after the amount of money we dropped at DLP on stuff. Stuff at TDS is so much more expensive and I have zero willpower when it comes to Halloween merchandise! My husband is probably going to take my credit cards away when I get home. LOL

• Banned User

Well... if it makes you feel better, I dropped about $140 today at HKDL on their Halloween merchandise. In Tokyo... that would be about.$350 at the very least, plus I have to renew my AP, and that will be close to $850, and that's US dollars. So yes, for your sake, the hubby should take your credit card away.

Also... I saw Duffy's ghetto cousin at Hong Kong Disneyland today... which is sold holiding a ghetto mickey plush of his own...
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 09-08-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Well... if it makes you feel better, I dropped about $140 today at HKDL on their Halloween merchandise. In Tokyo... that would be about.$350 at the very least, plus I have to renew my AP, and that will be close to $850, and that's US dollars. So yes, for your sake, the hubby should take your credit card away.

Also... I saw Duffy's ghetto cousin at Hong Kong Disneyland today... which is sold holiding a ghetto mickey plush of his own...
    Although he is a bit ghetto, I bought him when he came out - figured I had to have one from each park that had them. Not sure if you were in TDS today or not, but uuuuugh - once I hit HKDL next week, I will be right around 2K US in merchandise. (I spent around $400 US on Duffy Hallowen stuff alone today!!) By the time I hit the US Parks in a couple weeks, I think he will have taken my cards away for sure. Tokyo stuff is so danged expensive, but I am such a sucker for Halloween stuff! Fortunately, I only saw a couple things in your pics that I will buy at HK so that will help! Now tomorrow it's off to TDL and the Disney Store in Ikspiari. LOL.

BTW, today I saw some serious Duffy collectors at TDS - there were a number of the supersized Duffy bears wearing adult costumes and regular ones with even more ornate costumes than at Christmas and Easter.

I'll try to download some pics tomorrow of the Duffy costumes I saw - I am sorta jet lagged as I had just gotten used to the time zone in France and the NL and here I fly back to Asia 4 days later. I got probably 1 hour sleep on the flight from Amsterdam and went straight to TDS at 2pm today so I am beat.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks for the scan of the AP info on Duffy, Poohstraveler! From what I read, it does sound like they are using the exact same story from TDS. Cape Cod theme be damned, but it still works anyway. Also...it sounds like Duffy will not have one store like TDS...well, he used to over there, LOL! They said "at select merchandise locations" which can mean anywhere park-wide. Oh well. The "meet 'n greet" will be in Paradise Pier, which sounds fine. And...we get to see the costume on him...it's...cute, sort of.

Also, TDLFAN, that HKDL Duffy is hypnotizing...it's eyes...kind of scary. Actually, his face looks more like a monkey than a bear. He's also done something horrible to Mickey; look at the eyes! :-)

• You have much to learn...

Yes- this is the bizarro HKDL I was speaking of a while back- I have one home as well.

I'll be in California a week late to catch the Duffy presentation- but actually will be arriving in WDW on 10/14- the day I believe he was going to debut in Epcot.

I hope they don't over-expose Duffy too much and don't try to flood the market too quickly. They should keep it exclusive like TDL was doing for years to build up some sort of following without going overboard- but it's Disney & we all know what has happened to other things they've done in the past like pins & collectibles.

I'm sure the ebay bloodhounds will be watching this very carefully to try to cash in quickly.

My friend is leaving next week for a week in HKDL- which is annoying me a little since I can't go.

• Disney Fan & Musician

If you can't read the scan above, I typed it out.

Beginning October 14, when you visit Paradise Pier in Disney California Adventure Park, you may notice things looking a little “bear.” That’s because Mickey’s friend Duffy the Disney Bear, after traveling all around the globe, has found his way to the Disneyland Resort. As the story goes: “One day, Mickey was getting ready to set sail on a long sea voyage. Minnie made Mickey a special teddy bear to take with him so he would never be lonely. Mickey loved the bear and named him Duffy. Mickey and Duffy sailed around the world. They visited all sorts of exciting places and made a lot of friends along the way. Mickey and Duffy took pictures with their new pals and made memories that would last a lifetime. At the end of the voyage Mickey and Duffy sailed back home to share all their magical memories with Minnie.” And now, Duffy is ready to make more new friends at his Meet ‘N’ Greet location in Disney California Adventure Park. While you’re there, you can even purchase your very own Duffy- a Disney Parks exclusive- at select merchandise locations and take him with you on your next adventure!'

doesn't seem like they changed the story much!
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast