Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

I sure hope OLC is making a profit on this US venture since they are stealing the story from TDS.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: It was only a matter of time before Duffy made Disney take notice...(Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I sure hope OLC is making a profit on this US venture since they are stealing the story from TDS.
    Doesn't the Walt Disney Company make all the money off merchandise in TDR?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    No only a percentage.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    Like Travis said.. WDC only makes a small percentage of revenue from merchandise and ticket sales... and that's about it as far as I know. Disney does provide management guidance for OLC, but it's OLC calling the shots at the resort.

• Banned User

This just in!!! Apparently Duffy will be coming to Hong Kong Disneyland as well this december as part of the HKDL 5th anniversary celebration.

This just in!!! Apparently Duffy will be coming to Hong Kong Disneyland as well this december as part of the HKDL 5th anniversary celebration.
    THanks for the scoop!!

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh, man, he's everywhere! It's going to be hard to keep track of all this. I don't know if my bank accounts can handle it either, LOL!

• You have much to learn...

I guess Disney is going to really over-expose Duffy too much- I guess the outlets will have something to look forward to next year. He hasn't even arrived yet and looks like they will go too overboard too quickly to see if he actually catches on.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Is this really necessary?

We already have Pooh. I can see why the Japanese might want their own character, given that Pooh is British-Canadian in origin. Although from what I can tell they also like Pooh given the lines at TDL for his ride.

Really, though, both characters are beady eyed stuffed bears that magically come to life. Sure, they're cute, but one has a long established history here while Duffy has a the feel of a cash-in. "Do you love Pooh? Here, have more!"

I don't think the public will bite.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Is this really necessary?

We already have Pooh. I can see why the Japanese might want their own character, given that Pooh is British-Canadian in origin. Although from what I can tell they also like Pooh given the lines at TDL for his ride.

Really, though, both characters are beady eyed stuffed bears that magically come to life. Sure, they're cute, but one has a long established history here while Duffy has a the feel of a cash-in. "Do you love Pooh? Here, have more!"

I don't think the public will bite.
    You have to remember that Japan has all these nerd subcultures similar to America, but on a more fanatic scale. Need we bring up the line that stretched all over the park just to get the Duffy merch when Shelly Mae came out? That's Japan's Kawaii subculture at work. In America, the only thing similar to this would be back when Miley Cyrus was at the peak of her popularity.

The public did bite, but it's all cultural in that respect. Any hope of replicating that sucess outside of that bubble is ambitous to say the least.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Vehicle rotating backward

When I said "the public", I meant the western public. Sorry.

I know there's stores in certain parts of Tokyo that sell $1,500+ statues of five-year-old superhero girls from various cartoons, etc. There's money in that. But this kind of seems redundant.

Also, from a Disney fan perspective, I guess I'm worn out on the whole angle of Mickey's familiar head shape being pasted on anything and everything. I'm with the guy making the Epic Mickey game that Disney has done a wonderful job making Mickey completely uninteresting for anyone over the age of nine since 1993 or so.

I do have a stuffed bear that sometimes goes travelling with me to places because I'd rather take his picture in front of landmarks than my own ugly mug, and I suppose I'll take him to meet Duffy the next time I go to DL. But my amusement of seeing a stuffed bear with a "stuffed bear" walkaround character was already achieved with Pooh bear, and I don't know anything Disney is doing here they couldn't already do with Pooh, including making little CM costumes for him or something.

I get the feeling that in Japan, "manchildren" are a bit more common, and perhaps not as looked down upon. They're pretty unequaled in the NEET/hikikkomori phenomenon, though I blame that on extremely high land values and cost of living compared to other developed nations. Acquiring your own independence in Japan is very expensive, so many just choose to never leave the nest.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Also, from a Disney fan perspective, I guess I'm worn out on the whole angle of Mickey's familiar head shape being pasted on anything and everything. I'm with the guy making the Epic Mickey game that Disney has done a wonderful job making Mickey completely uninteresting for anyone over the age of nine since 1993 or so.
    I'm also in the Warren Spector camp, but mostly because he wants to bring back the "scary" side of Disney back. And I'm all for that. Disney has the right to be dark with their character pool and scare the kids into their parents arms. Here's hoping that if Epic Mickey takes off we get an Epic Mickey Halloween overlay!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I get the feeling that in Japan, "manchildren" are a bit more common, and perhaps not as looked down upon. They're pretty unequaled in the NEET/hikikkomori phenomenon, though I blame that on extremely high land values and cost of living compared to other developed nations. Acquiring your own independence in Japan is very expensive, so many just choose to never leave the nest.
    I can't comment about the "Man child" idea, since I equate that to most of Will Farrell's characters he plays in his films, but I can say that adults with childish interests (comics, stuff toys, cartoons, etc.) are still looked down upon by general society in Japan. It was only recently when Spirited Away won an Oscar when those interests weren't seen as being a sign of immaturity in adults. But that doesn't mean my friend there who reads Green Lantern on his train ride to work doesn't get dirty looks from other passengers who may or may not work in the same office he does.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

So by looking at the DCA Cast Fall Showcase, they will have the following costumes. Duffy Sailor, USA, Safari, Canada, Asia,Mexico, Holiday Duffy. Though in the picture it also looks like a Bavarian costume as well lol. And for food items they will have a "chocolate cup" and a "Duffy Crispy Treat" . Misc Merchandise will be a magnet, key chain, and balloons.

• Banned User

Well... they are definitely going all out, aren't they? I hope the merchandise is all good quality stuff and nicely detailed, as is the case with TDS'.

• Banned User

Am I the only one that doesn't care about Duffy? Yea he's cute I guess but going through the showcase I kept thinking to myself how CHEEZY the whole thing is! And idk if American guests will buy into it(although pretty much every single CM I talked to loved the idea and couldn't wait) it seems to me that this is just a ploy to cash in on the japanese guests that frequent the American parks.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast