Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any previous posts with comparisons between rides at TDL vs. WDW vs. DL?

I'm curious to read the comparisons so we know which rides we can avoid while we're there.

Also, any must dos or must sees?

Monsters Inc
    Pooh Hunny Hunt
    are 2 of the rides I hear over and over a must do.

I'm afraid since we are traveling with an infant we'll be limited on what we could do (timewise and optionwise), since we'll have to parent switch most of the grown up ride.

Suggestions and link to posts are appreciated!

Thank you so much.

• Minion

Re: Any previous posts with comparisons between rides at TDL vs. WDW vs. DL?

For Tokyo Disneyland, I would also add Splash Mountain to that list. It's easily the best version of the 3 in my opinion due to the colorful sets and more elaborate interior.

Space Mountain is essentially the same as Disneyland's version but without music. I generally skip it unless the lines are short.

Big Thunder Mountain is similar to Magic Kingdom's version, but is enhanced with some effects that I can't recall at the moment. I would ride it if you have the time since it is not a direct clone of either version.

Haunted Mansion is still the old classic version to my knowledge. I would skip it unless it has no lines.

Pirates of the Caribbean is almost the same as Disneyland's but with only one drop and no lift hill at the end of the attraction

If you have any other questions about specific attractions, feel free to ask.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• The Study of Wumbo

Monsters Inc.: Ride and Go Seek! is nothing like Monsters Inc: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue nor Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club. Totally different ride system and story and unique to TDL.

Pooh's Hunny Hunt is a radically improved version of the Hong Kong, Disneyland, and Walt Disney World versions of the the ride. It uses the trackless system and people who have experienced it rave about it.

The Haunted Mansion is generally equivalent to Walt Disney World's. However, the exterior is SLIGHTLY altered, and I believe that some scenes that were changed in Walt Disney World were not changed in Tokyo. Also, can anyone confirm if Tokyo's Attic still has the old bride? They never got a new bride, like Constance, right?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Disney Fan & Musician

Definitely add Splash Mountain to your list. Easily the best version of them all.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Thank you TDR_Fan, Wombology and MatterhornJ!
    I am still familiarizing myself with the maps of both parks. So I don't have a specific ride question yet.

For TDS are there any rides outside the Ariel area that would be suitable for little ones? Or will we have to parent swap most of the times?

And does parent swap work with single riders?

• Disney Fan & Musician

The little one may be able to do Aquatopia, but I would check.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Pooh's Hunny Hunt is a radically improved version of the Hong Kong, Disneyland, and Walt Disney World versions of the the ride. It uses the trackless system and people who have experienced it rave about it.
    And from the videos I've seen of it, they use *actual* AA's in the opening scene, instead of limited movement 3D figures like DL & WDW.

• Resident of the Caldera

There are very few rides in the Tokyo Disney Resort that are exactly like their counterparts elsewhere. Even Fantasyland attractions like Peter Pan and Snow White have the scenes in a different order. In Peter Pan, Nana the dog is kept out side next to a doghouse in the Tokyo ride, while she's in the room with the kids in the other parks. That's because most people in Japan keep their dogs outside the house.

In addition to small details like that, the Oriental Land Company spends more money on both building and maintaining their attractions. Rides like Pirates and the Mansion simply have more things going on in them, and more upgraded AA figures with more varied motion.

The only attractions in Tokyo that are not better than those in other parks are Buzz (same as Anaheim and Paris); Space Mountain (no onboard audio as in Anaheim, and no launch or loop like Paris); Big Thunder Mountain (no town as in Anaheim, and no Isobar wagon as in Orlando, and certainly nothing as spectacular as Paris, though Tokyo does have the best earthquake scene with tumbling boulders!). Other than those, everything is better (except the Tiki Room with Stitch, which just stinks).

Seriously, don't count out any particular attraction because for the most part they're not the same.

• Banned User

All you have to read this: Everything TDR does, they do it better over the USA parks, so do it ALL, all rides, all shows and especially the parades. Only one advise, leave the child at home. The Tokyo parks are very very very crowded and having a child in tow will slow you down. Or else, take advantage of child swapping for the rides where a child can't ride.

OY!!!
    Thanks everyone... I guess if I have to hit them all I'll just have to prioritize based on your responses.
    Unfortunately there's no way we could leave the baby, plus the best part is seeing her eyes lit up when she meets her disney friends...
    Now, we already know we'll be slow going through the parks. The trick is to convince the hubby that we'll have to come back again. Sooner than later... so far he's thinking no going back for a long while (6 or 7 years). I'll just have to work on that some more. Maybe after our trip he'll be easier to convince...!

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by csrt View Post
    Thank you TDR_Fan, Wombology and MatterhornJ!
    I am still familiarizing myself with the maps of both parks. So I don't have a specific ride question yet.

For TDS are there any rides outside the Ariel area that would be suitable for little ones? Or will we have to parent swap most of the times?

And does parent swap work with single riders?
    How old is your child? If the child can sit by his or herself they can ride Aquatopia. Stormrider is from 90 cms I think, then ToT is from 102 cms. Of course Sindbad is fine and the carousel and the Transit Steamer and Electric Railway also. For shows you should be careful with Mystic Rhythms sitting in the front because the drums in the beginning are very loud! Make sure to ask for a Future Riders card if you child is not the right height to ride because it is a fun souvenir!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by csrt View Post
    Unfortunately there's no way we could leave the baby, plus the best part is seeing her eyes lit up when she meets her disney friends... !
    Oh I see.. it's the dreaded "I go to Disney just to see my child light up" ideology. So based on this (and I am not saying that is wrong at all) I will then NOT advise you to:
    -Make sure you arrive at the parks one hour before opening time so you can run in the stampede that follows to get Fastpass for Hunny Hunt, Monsters Inc, and Astroblasters.
    -Rush to get at least 80% of the rides done by 8pm..
    -etc etc etc etc etc... there is so much I could advise to make your once in a lifetime visit memorable and enjoyable to the fullest.

So I will advise you to do:
    -Avoid getting to the parks early if you don't want to be over run by the stampede at opening time.
    -Bring you patience with you.. as meeting characters like Mickey and few others may have a wait time of over an hour at times, same for riding Dumbo and all other baby friendly rides with NO fastpass.
    -Mske sure you protect your child if you see any given character roaming about... since you will be competing for the attention of said character with at least another 50 pushy people around you who will push you (and your baby) out of the way to have their photos taken with the characters.
    -Spend your time in Toontown as it is the most suitable area for the little ones.
    -make sure you have a show/parades time so you and the baby can enjoy the many characters that populate these huge lavish shows at TDR.
    -Over at TDS, there really isn't much for the little ones so I am tempted to advise to skip this park altogether, which would be a pity because it is Disney's BEST 2nd gate in the World, but most rides do cater to kids that are big/tall enough to ride, and not the stroller set.
    -If your baby gets bored easily, do bring something to keep him/her entertained. You see, unlike WDW and possibly DLR, TDR does not cater to small kids much. There are no kids zones like the ones at EPCOT, so maybe you will have to spend a lot of time doing the meet and greets..
    -DO take the time to bring your baby to see "Super Duper Time" show in the Plaza Stage. It's just about the only show geared to the stroller set, and features no loud explosions or evil witches.
    -buy the baby a Duffy plush at TDS and he/she will be the envy of all the kids in your block.

Hmmm... can't seem to recommend much else that would be helpful to you.. Hmmm.. Ichigopara... any more ideas?

Thanks Fukai and Aimster!

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    How old is your child? If the child can sit by his or herself they can ride Aquatopia. Stormrider is from 90 cms I think, then ToT is from 102 cms. Of course Sindbad is fine and the carousel and the Transit Steamer and Electric Railway also. For shows you should be careful with Mystic Rhythms sitting in the front because the drums in the beginning are very loud! Make sure to ask for a Future Riders card if you child is not the right height to ride because it is a fun souvenir!
    Thanks ichigopara!
    She is under 2 but can sit up really well. We'll watch the other riders first to see what it's like and decide if it's ok

And thanks for the suggestion on the future riders card. I will definitely ask. It'll be good for the scrapbook... haha!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh I see.. it's the dreaded "I go to Disney just to see my child light up" ideology. So based on this (and I am not saying that is wrong at all) I will then NOT advise you to:
    -Make sure you arrive at the parks one hour before opening time so you can run in the stampede that follows to get Fastpass for Hunny Hunt, Monsters Inc, and Astroblasters.
    -Rush to get at least 80% of the rides done by 8pm..
    -etc etc etc etc etc... there is so much I could advise to make your once in a lifetime visit memorable and enjoyable to the fullest.

Hmmm... can't seem to recommend much else that would be helpful to you.. Hmmm.. Ichigopara... any more ideas?
    Thanks for the suggestions TDLFAN!
    We already plan to not be commando at all. Also, I'm really hoping this won't be a once in a lifetime thing
    Just have to convince the hubby that we could go back again sooner rather than later

We have 5 full days in the parks, hopefully that means at least we can cover all attractions once.
    And I don't think we'll be lining up for tons of characters just because of the time issue. But we will definitely do the ones we see and our baby recognize. But we won't search for them. So that should save us some time hopefully.

Looking at the list of attractions I think we'll prioritize these ones:

TDL
    Pirates
    Railroad
    Splash Mtn
    HM
    Pooh's HH
    Minnie's House
    Mickey's Meet & Greet
    Monsters
    Peter Pan's Flight
    IASW

TDS
    TOT
    Railway
    Aquatopia
    Indy
    Sinbad
    Journey
    Mermaid lagoon - whatever the baby can ride

if we have extra time:
    TDL
    BTM
    Tiki
    Buzz
    Capt EO
    Dumbo

TDS
    Gondolas
    Fortress Exploration

We'll try to see the shows/parades as well but I think they won't have many since we're there right before halloween celebration starts.

Does that sound doable?
    And does anybody know if the SR line works in conjuction with parent swap?
    Thank you for all your help!
    Last edited by csrt; 08-11-2010 at 11:24 AM.

• Banned User

5 days at the park?? Oh well, in that case you should be able to cover a lot, even if you have to slow down to take care of your child. Just take advantage of the child swap option in the attractions so you and the significant other can fully enjoy what both parks have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    5 days at the park?? Oh well, in that case you should be able to cover a lot, even if you have to slow down to take care of your child. Just take advantage of the child swap option in the attractions so you and the significant other can fully enjoy what both parks have to offer.
    That's great to know!
    We're not going during the crazy busy season, I'm hoping that means we'd be able to cover both parks no problem. Like you said, we'll have to slow down with a baby but that's ok.

Thanks TDLFAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast