Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation D23 - New Tokyo Disneyland Attraction Lineup

So, from the pages of D23, I grabbed my magnifying glasses and tried to figure out what some of the concept art was actually depicting in that giant picture of the Imagineering office.

REMEMBER, this could all change. My eyes aren't foolproof, either.

First up looks like the Pirate League, a Bippity-Boppity Boutique for the boys. Looks like it's going into Adventureland like the one at WDW.

Next is a Jungle Cruise refurb. It looks like the piranhas are coming over for a visit, and there seems to be a cave being pictured.

Then is the Pixie Hollow Meet 'n' Greet, and it looks like you guys are testing out the giant tree that WDW might be getting for their expansion.

Okay, so the next one is weird. There's two pictures side-by-side, and they look like two concepts of the same thing. One side looks like a giant tree, and it looks like it's labeled "Lion King Treehouse". However, next to it is another concept of the same tree-thing, but it looks like it's labeled "Lion King Ferris Wheel". Really? This is looking weird.

Though I'm not sure what the next picture is exactly, it says "Up" on it's placecard, and there's a pic of Dug the dog and you can even make out the interior of the blimp from the movie

Next is pretty cool: Tiki Room Holiday. Looks like the fountain is covered in snow!

It looks like a Country Bear Jamboree refurb is in the cards.

Okay, so the next one shows the Hitchhiking Ghosts, and the placecard says "Haunted Mansion"... something. I can't make it out, but I bet it's another refurb.

There's a VERY interesting storyboard next, and it consists of MANY different little pictures (in full color) mounted on what looks to be a book's pages. Next to it is 9 different black-and-white scenes. Under it is... guess what? The ballroom for the Cinderella Castle walkthrough! So it looks like this walkthrough is going to be major after all, and it looks like it has a LOT of scenes, at least 9. Looks just as detailed (or more detailed) as the Mystery Tour.

The final visible chunk of pictures looks like a refurb of Tomorrowland. There's a major WALL-E section, and it looks like EVE and WALL-E are soaring over the heads of guests. Wether they're 3-D or AA, I have no clue. The Stitch Live thing has made an appearance, and for whatever reason I can make out the Lightning McQueen and Mater from Cars in the middle of it all. New Autopia? Yes, there is a TRON LIGHT CYCLE pictured...

The final one looks like the centerpiece of the Tomorrowland Refurb. There's a ship blasting off, reminiscent of the Mission:Space concept art (or is it a jet pack?), and there's a few more pictures of an alien landscape (maybe the moon?) with human structures on the surface.

There's also a giant foldout of DisneySea on the wall just behind the concept art...
    Last edited by Disneyson 1; 08-10-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: D23 - New Tokyo Disneyland Attraction Lineup

Wow, that all sounds really interesting. It sounds like quite a lot of stuff to be built at the same time. I wonder if it will slowly trickle out into the parks? It's not like they want to spend all that money at once to not have things to draw guests in year after year. The Tomorrowland renovation sounds...different. I stopped subscribing to that magazine, but now wish I could look at a copy myself.

The Lion King Treehouse...I wonder if they are planning on a re-do of the Swiss Family treehouse? The Tiki Room Holiday sounds fun, and it's something I've been wishing Disneyland in CA did to theirs for a while now. Something like "The Enchanted Tiki Room Presents Mele kalikimaka...with Stitch!"

It looks like things go in chronological order, with Pirate's League being the easiest and the TL refurb being... weird. Not sure about that Lion King thing, though. It has that sunburst of the Mickey's fun wheel, which to me either looks like the branches of a tree or a sunburst in which a sun similar to the hubcap in DCA would go in the center (I guess circle of life?).

• Not here to help

Pictures? Everybody has a cam today...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

It's VERY small, but I'll see what I can do...

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyson 1 View Post
    It's VERY small, but I'll see what I can do...
    I know you can do it.

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=img037.jpg

If someone can photoshop this to zoom more, that'd be amazing. Anyway, the projects go in chronological order from the way I posted them. The one on the very left is Pirate's League. The light green is the Jungle Cruise, as are the ones under it. Pixie hollow has the tree art made for the FLE. Lion king is one with two place cards and two similar pictures next to each other. Up is the last one, Dug the dog is in the 3rd picture in the set of 4 on the bottom. Tiki room with the fountain on top, snowflakes with red backing on the bottom. Next is the Country Bears. You can see the Hitchhiking Ghosts in the next set of pics. The 2 sets of pics next to that are both of the Cinderella attraction. Finally you can see the TL expansion, with the orange, out-of-place picture being the Cars one. You can sort of see the rocket blasting off on the end.
    Last edited by Disneyson 1; 08-10-2010 at 02:55 PM.

• Resident of the Caldera

I just scanned the image from my copy of the magazine and blew it up 400%. You must have good eyes, because without having read your descriptions first, I couldn't tell what most of the stuff is.

I doubt we'll see 95% of this. I'm sure most of it is blue-sky stuff for the Oriental Land Company to see if they'll nibble.

I assume a new Tiki Room redo is in the works, because the Stitch show is a catastrophe. On the busiest days in the park, there is no wait for that show. PU.

The Lion King redo of the Swiss Family Treehouse is a possibility; again, this is an attraction that gets very few visitors even on the busiest days.

The Jungle Cruise could certainly use a freshening--it hasn't been changed in years and the deadly fish add a fun element at the end as long as the skipper gets the timing right.

The Pirates League in Orlando is a total failure: they're dropping the prices to try and get boys in there, but without much luck. No way this is going to Japan.

The Tokyo Autopia (whatever it's called) has a tiny track since Toontown gobbled most of it up, so I can't imagine they'd spend a lot of money on it without somehow expanding the track.

• Not here to help

... now those pictures are SMALL! haha

how on earth could anyone make out anything from those?

• Banned User

If any of this is true.. I am not surprised. After all, one of OLC's better policies is their "me too" point of view in regards to the parks. Whatever DL in CA has, they want in Tokyo, only done better. I welcome any improvements the OLC intends to do at TDL, especially any improvements to their older attractions. It all sounds interesting.. and I hope all of it comes to be. Now if only WDW management was as interested in creating and improving their parks as OLC is.. *sighs*

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

How do you know the concept art is for Tokyo Disneyland?

Some of what you have said is possible. Tokyo Disneyland does like to take the rides that pull the fewer Guests per hour and plus them up. In recent years we have seen it done on several attractions like the Tiki Room, Mickey Mouse Revue, Pirates of the Carribean and Meet the World. All given either new enhancements or replaced by new attractions. Its all down to the Guests flow.

Something not listed although I'm convinced it will at some point make it into the park, will be Star Tours II.

Thanks for sharing the details anyway. Still waiting on my D23 issue to turn up and can't wait to read the article. I also believe on another Tokyo Disney Resort related note that the Magazine has an article looking at the culinary delights from Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris. Nice to see some of the international parks get a bit of coverage.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Wow, how did you discern any of those details? The pictures are tiny and far away. I would have, and still have no clue what they are if you hadn't described them either!

It's much clearer to see in the magazine, but the top left card on the very left of the first black board has the light blue "Tokyo Disneyland" logo. Everything is MUCH clearer in the magazine (and I suggest if you get it yourself, take a look and see if you see something different!), but I'm pretty confident that those are the correct ideas. You can even READ "Pirate's League", "Jungle Cruise", "Lion King", and "Tiki Room". It's WAY better when you have the magazine yourself and I admit I'm no professional copier!

I feel like Star Tours II would be part of the Tomorrowland section, but perhaps it was merely cut off from the photo.

You sort of have to take a look at the words above the pictures and then fit them with whatever colors or shapes you see in the pictures. The first few were easy because you could read the titles above the pictures (though I had to search for a character to confirm the "Up" attraction), I clearly saw one of the country bears in it's respective picture, and the hitchhiking ghosts were easy to make out. For Cinderella, you can see that the place card is between both the black and white drawings and the color ones. Thankfully, the ballroom concept art was there to signify what the two sets of art were for. There are 3 pictures of WALL-E in a row, so that was pretty obvious, but they were clumped with the light cycle, the random Cars photo, and perhaps a pic of Star Tours II, now that you mention it. And the picture off to the right side of it has it's own place card, but it seems to fit in with Tomorrowland, leading me to believe it's a major attraction.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    In recent years we have seen it done on several attractions like the Tiki Room, Mickey Mouse Revue, Pirates of the Carribean and Meet the World.
    The only improvement made to Meet the World was to close it permanently about 4 years ago? Same for MMR? So please be careful how you word this because those were not improvements, they were closures, and in some cases and based on some people's opinions.. most of those improvements were really NOT good ones, or attractions replacing the closed ones are not as nice as the previous ones....

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

In recent years we have seen it done on several attractions like the Tiki Room, Mickey Mouse Revue, Pirates of the Carribean and Meet the World.
    The only improvement made to Meet the World was to close it permanently about 4 years ago? Same for MMR? So please be careful how you word this because those were not improvements, they were closures,
    Sorry if you had copy and paste the next sentence you would see I did further clear this up.

All given either new enhancements or replaced by new attractions.
    I agree not everything OLC does can be considered an improvment. But the intention is certainly there to improve existing attractions for park Guests. Personally I can't stand that awful Tiki Room show with Stitch.
    Last edited by Malin; 08-13-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast