9th Anniversary of DisneySea Merchandise

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: 9th Anniversary of DisneySea Merchandise

Looks, nice! Now I can see what TDLFAN was talking about. I like Chip 'n Dale's costumes. So far, all of TDS's anniversary logos have been very classy, even the one with Stitch a few years ago.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

A bit similar to the 6th Anniversary design. But Pinocchio and co have been replaced by Chip 'n Dale. With the 10th Anniversary around the corner this could be some of the last merchandise for now anyway that features Mickey in full DisneySea Captain costume.

I am very interested to see what the 10th Anniversary merchandise will look like since it will feature all the characters in Sorcerer's Apprentice costumes.

Going to have to limit what I buy in a few weeks because at the moment I seem to be wanting to bring back more than what the Airline will allow. The Key Chain looks cool. That will be my 9th Anniversary momento.

• Minion

Does anybody know if one can still find the original Captain Mickey costume design?

Here's a video for reference.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p55f-4K-GE4]YouTube - [TDS] Meet Mickey Mouse in Tokyo DisneySea[/ame]

Does Mickey still wear that costume in the park?
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

No, but I much prefer that costume design to the current designs that were also used in the Over the Waves show. This design reflects what the park stands for much more than the current design. Although I have always loved Mickey's Captain costume. But the other Character costumes

• Minion

I like it better too. I only remember seeing that design as a plush in some of the shops. I can't remember the last time I actually saw Mickey walk out with that costume. Hopefully, they haven't retired it as it was the official Mickey costume for the park (worn at the Grand Opening).

• Munchings & Crunchings

I like the original costume better too. It's definitely got an "explorer" vibe to it. The new captain's costume he wears looks more like a modern cruise ship captain to me. That could work for the S.S. Columbia, but as an overall park concept, I liked the "grand opening" one more.

• You have much to learn...

I just saw a few items in the Disney Fan Magazine & I figured there had to be more- All that was in Disney Fan was a mug, drinking glass, baseball cap, bag and watch. I hope the stuff lasts this time around.

I've been able to get all the anniversary merchandise in November each year since 2005 with the exception of the year that featured Stitch- I think that was the 7th- there was nothing left back then- but I finally tracked down at least the pin on ebay a few months back.

I don't even recall what was available before then since my first visit back in early 2004 when I caught the end of the 20th Anniversary and I've been hooked ever since.

Thanks for posting the link since I don't play around with the official site too much on my own.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I dunno about the costume, but that is such a cute video lol!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    A bit similar to the 6th Anniversary design. But Pinocchio and co have been replaced by Chip 'n Dale.
    Well that is done on purpose. Any long term visitor to TDS will tell you about the anniversary logo continuity.. and the 9th logo is not different. The reason for the similar looks from one year to the next is so that collectors can exhibit their items and have a common theme on it. I think it's quite cool and like Gurgi said.. very classy, plus I appreciate that some one actually put some thought and continuity into the anniversary merchandise. I wish the WDC operated parks were this inventive and respectful of the collector fans. To me, these simple items have more class & quality, and are more desirable than any of those expensive collections they sell iin the US parks. And these items are cheaper too than the overly priced collections they shove down our throats in the US parks.

• Resident of the Caldera

Unfortunately the new costume makes Mickey look like a cabin attendant on a Cruise Ship.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Unfortunately the new costume makes Mickey look like a cabin attendant on a Cruise Ship.
    Agreed. I hope they retire it after Over the Waves is gone for good and bring back the classic Captain uniform with the fanciful design. Same goes for the rest of the Fab Five and Chip n' Dale. Their opening year costumes were really unique and matched the exploration theme of the park.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

What cruiseline are you sailing on? It looks more like officer apparel ie: leadership of the ship.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

I honestly believe, the design you see on the 9th anniversary merchandise is only there for that purpose and not for a walk around coustume.... but who knows, maybe it is. But I don't see why some of you think it's demeaning for Mickey to look like a "Cabin Attendant". I guess it bothers you terribly that the TDR Hotel logo features Mickey as a bell hop?