Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ATM at TDR takes US cards?

Does anyone know if there are ATMs in the area that we could take out $ from?

I read somewhere that the ATM at Hilton doesn't work with international cards. Or maybe that was just a fluke.

Thanks so much!

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: ATM at TDR takes US cards?

If I recall correctly, the ATMs at 7/11 stores take US cards ... or am I mistaken? I know the ones at the postoffices do. This has been discussed here before: take a look in the older threads.

• Just another Disney fan..

Post offices and 7-11s is correct. Also a few Japanese bank ATMs will work but there aren't many.

Best thing to do is check with the bank that issues your card and ask them where in Tokyo are ATMs that work.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by csrt View Post
    Does anyone know if there are ATMs in the area that we could take out $ from?
    $$$$? No, there are no ATMs in japan that will give you $ (as in US$), but all of them dispense YEN.

I read somewhere that the ATM at Hilton doesn't work with international cards. Or maybe that was just a fluke.

Thanks so much!
    NOT A FLUKE. That is correct. The ATMs at the Hilton, and inside the TDR parks do NOT accept US credit cards or debit cards.. For that, you have to use an ATM that clearly states is available for use with international cards or debit/check cards that are connected to the PLUS system.
    My suggestion is to take cash immediately from the Citybank or Seven-Eleven (7-11) atm's at the airport on the arrival level. Some other banks' ATMs at the airport can also be used with international cards. However, keep in mind.. with 7-11 and japanese ATMs, you have to take cash out at digits of 10,000 yen.. (20,000, 30,000 etc etc), but with the CityBank ATMs you can choose at intervals of 1,000 yen (1,000, 2,000, 3,000 etc etc)

Over at TDR.. the only machines that I am able to use with my debit card (but will not take a credit card) are the ATMs located to the left of the main entrance at TDL, or the ones in the lobby areas of the Ambassador or Miracosta... and be advised, these ATM's only operate at certain times of the day... like from 8am till.. like 11pm? or something like that.

Do not waste time with travelers checks, as you are better off using debit cards that have the PLUS logo on the back side. Also, make sure your bank knows you are traveling abroad and ask them if the card is good for use in Japan. My other half's debit card could not be used in Japan, even if it was connected to the PLUS system, because his cheap and crappy credit union did not allow their debit cards to be used outside the US and had a block on them. So check with your bank or credit union.. just to be safe.

Now.. while in Japan, most places will take credit cards.. like visa and master card being the most prominent ones used. TDR also accept credit cards for merchandise and food purchases and ticket sales. Those transactions made at TDR usually take 2-3 weeks to post in your account, and your bank may assess an international fee for each transaction made outside the USA. Also at TDR, most times, you do not have to sign your credit card slip when you make a purchase.

Hope that info helps out.

Thanks everyone.

TDLFAN I will definitely keep in mind the ATM at TDL if I get in trouble.
    Appreciate the advice to take $ out at the airport. For some reason that option didn't even occur to me.

Only 1 more week and we're off!!!

• Banned User

Yay!!!

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Now.. while in Japan, most places will take credit cards.. like visa and master card being the most prominent ones used.
    Minor update to this. Although this is true, farther you go out from the major towns (inaka="country side"), this becomes less and less so. For example, in a small village (make that very small) in Yamaguchi-ken, I was stuck w/o any place that would take a credit card a couple of years ago. So... around TDR, "no prob", going to inaka, "take some yen"

this was in the tokyo news recently...

Credit card scam targeting foreigners on the rise in Roppongi - The Mainichi Daily News

just thought ppl would like to know, because as TDLfan already pointed out, creditcard transactions can take up to 3 weeks to hit your card (i've even had 5 weeks after i shopped in harajuku)....

so, be very careful when in roppongi (that is the only area so far).

enjoy your trip...

• Banned User

Does not surprise me to hear about Roppongi. I usually avoid that area simply because it's filled with a lot of shady foreigners who live in Tokyo. So if someone is stealing foreign credit card identities, I would very much believe it's being done by foreign folks living in that area.. but that's just me.

The ATM that works for us was removed from the Ambassador, (it's now behind a locked door that says 'Private') Boo!

The one at the front of TDL is still good and there is still the one at Ikspiari (Postal Service one) behind the two elevators nearest the Disney Store and to the right of the Track And Trail Cafe (Open till 9pm on weekdays and like 7pm on weekends).

Quote Originally Posted by d23tigger View Post
    The ATM that works for us was removed from the Ambassador, (it's now behind a locked door that says 'Private') Boo!

The one at the front of TDL is still good and there is still the one at Ikspiari (Postal Service one) behind the two elevators nearest the Disney Store and to the right of the Track And Trail Cafe (Open till 9pm on weekdays and like 7pm on weekends).
    hmm... I thought I saw on TDR website that ATM only works with Japanese cards?
    Tokyo Disney Resort: Guest Services at the Resort

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by csrt View Post
    hmm... I thought I saw on TDR website that ATM only works with Japanese cards?
    Tokyo Disney Resort: Guest Services at the Resort
    That only applies to the ATMs located in the bank *inside* TDL in Central Street in World Bazaar, and the one loccated *inside* TDS' gatesin the Aquasphere Plaza. But the one ATM outside the gate at TDL does work with DEBIT CARDS from the US. I was not awared the ATM from the Ambassador has been removed. Will have to check into it next time I visit.

Don't know about TDR, but if worse comes to worse, Tokyo Station is only a short train ride away. The main post office across from the station has ATMs that work with international cards and are open something like 23 and a half hours a day.

And there are Seven Bank ATMs inside Tokyo station that work with US ATM cards too!
    Last edited by lurkyloo; 08-31-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast