Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2010

• Adventures with Duffy

Re: Christmas 2010

Thank you for posting. It all looks great. I like how they put on line what items they are selling each season. Im sure that helps, it makes people want to come to the parks, so they can get something they saw on line. Good idea on OLC part.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Christmas 2010

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    I'm liking the 7 themed trees!...
    I love these, too! I'm happy to see the whole park involved for Christmas, just like it was fun that Chip 'n' Dale made Lost River Delta more exciting with their Halloween Skelefiesta Parade! For me, it really pushed my experience of DisneySEA as a globe-travelling exploratory park to see the same holiday celebrated/decorated in different styles in three/four? different areas (Med. Harbor, NY/Cape Cod, Lost River).

My favorite part of Christmas WISH and Seven Lights of Christmas, though, is also another reason to hate that I bought iPhone. If you have a not-so-smartphone - a normal Japanese mobile that accesses the Japanese mobile web network - you can upload your wish "into" any of the seven trees via QR code and mobile website. Some wishes will be selected each week to appear on the website. I bet there's a live sound or light response, too. They did a simpler form of this at Ikspiari with a bell (not your phone) last year and I liked it a lot. I think there are lots of Disney fans with smartphones now, though. I wish Japanese companies would start adapting their approach to include us. But, actually, except for one other friend and myself, everyone I know in Japan who uses iPhone has two phones.

And the example wish on the site is, of course, "I want a Duffy for Christmas!"

DUFFY GOODS updated for Christmas...still no sign of smiling bears, though...

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks, Duffydad, I was going to check the Duffy site this morning to see if they updated. I wonder if they will release the smiling plush this year? I don't see why not, especially with the different keychain plush...that seems strange they wouldn't. Oh, and another guess I got right was the small tote bag. I was hoping it would be green this year!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Well, color me shocked, it looks like there won't be smiling versions of the plush this year! I looked at the Duffy page, and they have updated it to reflect that there is another costume set for sale. This is the "Hello from Cape Cod" series Christmas entry.

?Duffy? The Disney Bear | ?????????

Basically, THESE are the "alternate" costumes we saw on the mini-plush. So, There will be no dressed bears this year, just two sets of costumes...strange.

Duffy:

Shellie May:

I suppose the only good thing about this, is that you don't have to buy a whole new bear. This will be bad for some though, like Duffydad, who's been waiting for smiling Shellie all year...sorry.

Also, these costumes are the most expensive yet at 3800 Yen. As much as a non-dressed bear! Oh well, they are cute costumes, and...they give Shellie May a dress at least...

• Felice Natale!

Sad Re: Christmas 2010

Well, color me shocked, it looks like there won't be smiling versions of the plush this year!...This will be bad for some though, like Duffydad, who's been waiting for smiling Shellie all year...sorry.

Also, these costumes are the most expensive yet at 3800 Yen. As much as a non-dressed bear! Oh well, they are cute costumes, and...they give Shellie May a dress at least...
    I don't believe it. It's like someone just peed in my eggnog. Why would they do this? It's a tradition. Since the "Disney Bear" became Duffy in 2006, there has always been a smiling version every year at Christmas. Why would they not do a smiling Shellie May, especially when she's been so popular? Why would they destroy Duffy's oldest, most endearing tradition at the height of the Duffenomenon? I can't understand it! And the price! Wow! OLC's got a little o' the old Disney money€¥€$, methinks.

I'm still hopeful that maybe they've planned it as a surprise this year or something. I just can't believe they'd throw away such a charming tradition that added to both the spirit of the season and the fan culture of the character. Besides just generally being crappy, it seems like bad marketing. Although, what it really feels like is, "Why give 'em an outfit and a bear when we know they'd pay as much for just the outfit?" I hope they at least sell the smiling bear separately...though it's always on the site... This is very strange, very disappointing and very telling of the direction things are going with this character. Thank goodness I found Duffy when I did. I almost missed getting to know my favorite Disney character!

Shellie May has been a HUGE success!!! Are we still in the age of Hello Kitty, and women just aren't allowed to open their mouths? I just do NOT get this...

• Munchings & Crunchings

I do hope maybe they will surprise us and have smiling Shellie May. They also didn't mention the special limited edition mohair Duffy that they've also traditionally sold every year for the past few years. Maybe there's still hope?

• Surfin the net with Duffy

OMG that outfit is so fabulous and fruity!!! Now our Duffy's can have separate outfits!!!!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

I saw the latest TDS map and there was a smiling Duffy plush in the same red/white/gold outfit Mickey & Minnie have. I am assuming this is the one you are talking about.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by HebeJebe View Post
    I saw the latest TDS map and there was a smiling Duffy plush in the same red/white/gold outfit Mickey & Minnie have. I am assuming this is the one you are talking about.
    Hmm...that's interesting. Although this year Mickey and Minne are in different costumes. Any chance of a scan? Oh, and did they show a "smiling" Shellie May plush too...I hope?

I just found a picture of the map I thought I saw him in and realized it was last year's map!

I'm so sorry to get your hopes up!!!!
    Last edited by HebeJebe; 10-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I just found a picture of the map I thought I saw him in and realized it was last year's map!

Ah...that would explain it! Last year Mickey, Minnie, and Duffy did have red, white, & gold costumes because it was the last year of Candlelight Reflections. There was a smiling Duffy last year too...bummer, I thought maybe there was a surprise this year. Oh well...

• Felice Natale!

Red Face Re: Christmas 2010

...They also didn't mention the special limited edition mohair Duffy that they've also traditionally sold every year for the past few years. Maybe there's still hope?
    That's never advertised; it's also just an unofficial tradition.

Nargles!!!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

What exactly is the Duffy and Shelly heads?

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Adventures with Duffy

The second set of costumes are cute. I wonder how you keep all that White clean if you take Duffy into the park?

I do think there isn't a ton of detail to that costume which is shocking to me, since OLC is so much into detail. For me, I like the idea of not having to buy a bear to get the costume. The whole reason I didn't do last years costume was because you had to buy the bear too. And I really liked last years costume. (now Im not talking about the white knitted costume) I am happy to see that both costumes come with more then once piece. (which most of WDW/DLR don't come with more then 1 or 2 pieces)

This website has posted the range of Christmas merchandise available

?????2010 - Maihama Style

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast